Nurses Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know what it is like being a nurse? well according to my wife, a nurse, she says her primary job function is cleaning up ****. Yep, that's pretty much it, and if you don't pay people well, who would do it?

People like me who worked as techs getting paid less than half what the nurses did so they didn't have to do the nasty and labor intensive stuff

When people asked what I did I told them I was "A nurse's bitch"

People like me who worked as techs getting paid less than half what the nurses did so they didn't have to do the nasty and labor intensive stuff

When people asked what I did I told them I was "A nurse's bitch"

The very point i was making, and i heard this from lots of others too; the nurse techs do the scut work by and large- the nurses just boss them around.

Members don't see this ad :)
ob.

Clearly they make far more than anyone can honestly say is reasonable.

I am a social worker at a psychiatric hospital in Chicago. My primary role is family therapy. On a daily basis I meet new patients, do probably 2-4 one hour family therapy sessions, and do variety of case management duties for my patients. It is an intellectually demanding job, and I have a master's degree. My salary is 37k. This is actually a good salary, considering it was a 30% increase from my previous job. I'm not complaining about being underpaid, I just don't feel I am paid fairly in relation to what nurses get paid. I'm not sure how it works at med-surg facility but in the psychiatric hospital, most nurses sit behind the nurses station and chill all while making at a minimum double my salary. Now of course there are nurses that do work hard, but I would say more than half do not deserve to me making $40-50/hr based on the amount of work they do. The reason in my opinion healthcare spending has gotten so out of control is because nurses want to paid like doctors.

I know two women who worked for years as staff nurses in ICU's. They then went to law school and became plaintiffs' personal injury lawyers. They now get the satisfaction of suing pompous physicians who think that nurses are overpaid.:laugh:

why are you heralding these people like they are heroes? personal injury lawyers are the ambulance chasing scum of the earth. sure, they get the satisfaction of suing pompous physicians but they also can really screw over a genuine caring doctor who does his job well.

why are you heralding these people like they are heroes? personal injury lawyers are the ambulance chasing scum of the earth. sure, they get the satisfaction of suing pompous physicians but they also can really screw over a genuine caring doctor who does his job well.

Word.

I am a social worker at a psychiatric hospital in Chicago. My primary role is family therapy. On a daily basis I meet new patients, do probably 2-4 one hour family therapy sessions, and do variety of case management duties for my patients. It is an intellectually demanding job, and I have a master's degree. My salary is 37k. This is actually a good salary, considering it was a 30% increase from my previous job. I'm not complaining about being underpaid, I just don't feel I am paid fairly in relation to what nurses get paid. I'm not sure how it works at med-surg facility but in the psychiatric hospital, most nurses sit behind the nurses station and chill all while making at a minimum double my salary. Now of course there are nurses that do work hard, but I would say more than half do not deserve to me making $40-50/hr based on the amount of work they do. The reason in my opinion healthcare spending has gotten so out of control is because nurses want to paid like doctors.

And are getting it. Friend of mine has been offered starting salary (base) of $75,000/ yr. Graduates this May, will be an RN. Full loan repayment after 3 years. Guaranteed $125,000 within 5 years (again, thats base). Forgive me for seeing this as a bit outrageous, when you consider this is around the national average for a Family Doc.

Now I respect nurses, and any Dr. that spits on them is an idiot. However, why is it okay for other professions to demand pay raises, but not doc's? There's a shortage of them too, by all accounts (hence the increasing positions available at med schools). But when Dr.'s talk about money, "they must be greedy and do not actually care about medicine or patients." What double-standards society holds. I'm predicting it now: Doctors will eventually strike, 10 or 15 or 20 years, if current trends continue. And it will be a strike before the general public learns to re-appreciate the role of the doctor.

Agreed. He is a non-student; perhaps he is one of them?:idea:

However private schools pay starting salaries much more than this, and this is because they are private entities. As well most hospitals are private thus they generally pay in the 40-60+ range. But in the state and county subsidized hospital I volunteer at, nurses (RN's with a BS degree) only start with a $29,500 starting salary with possible OT as well.

The more a profession is dependent on the government, the lower the pay.

you called me a tool, but you are the ignorant one here. starting salaries in private entities are often quite a bit lower than government positions. the starting salary in many catholic highschools is about 10K lower than Public school teachers in the city. you have it all backwards, because they are private entities they do their best to cut costs and reduce salaries. how much do you think a bus driver who works for the city gets paid compared to a school bus driver that works for a private company? ive heard too many stories about nurses, pharamacists, and other technicians that work for the county hospital and get paid 40+ hours in overtime. Ridiculous, those are our tax dollars. that means instead of being paid 40$/hour they paid 60$/hour. lots of doctors don't even get paid that much. although im sure this also happens in private hospitals since there seems to be a shortage of nurses, i would feel at least a pang of conscious of making an exorbitant salary off tax payers dollars.

this is a job where we are required to learn new things every day..new meds..new adverse reactions..new drug interactions, new protocols, new algorithms ...and the consequence of not learning these things could mean life or death...do you really think being a nurse isn't intellectually demanding??? we are responsible for the actions of everyone else around us...I am required to know how to double check physicians, pharmacists, and social workers... I am ultimately responsible if I give the wrong med (despite what the order says)...if the wrong test is ordered...if the pharmacists misses a drug interaction and I give both meds, if a patient is discharged to the wrong level of care...

Sounds like a nightmare.

Agreed. He is a non-student; perhaps he is one of them?:idea:

I'm not a nurse, physician, med student or in any other health profession. I am the father of a pre-med and the husband of a nurse. I see nurse bashing on these threads constantly. It gets tiresome.

If teachers and social workers want to get paid like nurses, they should go to nursing school. It's not that expensive or time consuming. There are two year AA programs as well as 16 month BS to BSN programs. There's no monopoly out there.

God you're stupid. Are all your opinions founded on caricatures?

we are responsible for the actions of everyone else around us...I am required to know how to double check physicians, pharmacists, and social workers...
This sounds like total BS to me.

I'm not a nurse, physician, med student or in any other health profession. I am the father of a pre-med and the husband of a nurse. I see nurse bashing on these threads constantly. It gets tiresome.

If teachers and social workers want to get paid like nurses, they should go to nursing school. It's not that expensive or time consuming. There are two year AA programs as well as 16 month BS to BSN programs. There's no monopoly out there.
We don't have enough teachers or social workers as it is.

I hate to use the stock "If you don't like it you don't have to read it." but it's true, and nursing is consistently pushing further and further in to medicine's realm and it sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to use the stock "If you don't like it you don't have to read it." but it's true, and nursing is consistently pushing further and further in to medicine's realm and it sucks.

My thoughts exactly.

Now, everyone needs to chill a bit on this thread before the mods shut it down. It was a given that this thread was going to get out of hand.

I think everyone here agrees that Nurses are one of the most important members of health care. After taking a "Super Mario Galaxy" break from this thread, I have had some time to think about why exactly Nurses' salaries are increasing or at such a high rate. I think we are all forgetting how much nurses are actually doing nowadays. Nurses are beginning to take over many of the tedious and mind-numbing processes so that physicans can focus on properly diagnosing and treating the patient. I mean, how often have any of you gone into your PCP and had the Nurse check your vitals before the physician comes in and then administer the shot after s/he leaves? Nurses have taken a lot of the load that physicians would have normally had to do just a few decades ago. Who puts in the IV? Who takes the blood? Who dresses the patient? The list can go on. To make a long story short, I welcome the increased wages for nurses. Although it means a higher overall cost for healthcare, nurses are taking the load off of our shoulders so that we can be the best doctors we can be.

Any disagreements? o_O

<3

My thoughts exactly.

Now, everyone needs to chill a bit on this thread before the mods shut it down. It was a given that this thread was going to get out of hand.

misc22.gif
and
icecream.gif
for everyone!

I think we are all forgetting how much nurses are actually doing nowadays. Nurses are beginning to take over many of the tedious and mind-numbing processes so that physicans can focus on properly diagnosing and treating the patient. I mean, how often have any of you gone into your PCP and had the Nurse check your vitals before the physician comes in and then administer the shot after s/he leaves? Nurses have taken a lot of the load that physicians would have normally had to do just a few decades ago. Who puts in the IV? Who takes the blood? Who dresses the patient?
Maybe they shouldn't be taking on so much.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Is Just Absolutely Ridiculous.
Geezzzzzzzz.........if You Cannot Stand Nurses Getting Paid Well, Nothing Stops Anyone From Going To Nursing School And Getting Paid The Same.
You Cannot Eat Your Cake And Have It.
I Am An Icu Nurse And Offcourse My Job Is Very Intellectually Demanding And I Deserve Every Bit Of My Dollar.
I Have Respect To Every Other Profession

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geezzzzzzzz.........if You Cannot Stand Nurses Getting Paid Well, Nothing Stops Anyone From Going To Nursing School And Getting Paid The Same.
I Am An Icu Nurse And Offcourse My Job Is Very Intellectually Demanding And I Deserve Every Bit Of My Dollar.

I'd respect you a lot more if I knew what this post said.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh:

The irony.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a question.. :scared: how do you have the mental tenacity to capitalize the first letter of every single word? :laugh: Do you have a program that does it for you? If so, could you please refer me to that website? I would be really interested in something like that! PM me if you have one. Thanks! :D

<3

Penn State: University Park. If you are familiar with that area, I am an RA in South Halls, specifically Hoyt (the crappy dorms next to Eastview Terrace). ^.^

In reference to your post.. I think that they welcome the extra work. I mean, although it is difficult, I feel that they want the extra work. Any posts from a current RN (that I can understand) would be greatly appreciated! ^.^

<3

Penn State: University Park. If you are familiar with that area, I am an RA in South Halls, specifically Hoyt (the crappy dorms next to Eastview Terrace). ^.^

In reference to your post.. I think that they welcome the extra work. I mean, although it is difficult, I feel that they want the extra work. Any posts from a current RN (that I can understand) would be greatly appreciated! ^.^

<3
Interesting on both counts. I'm at one of the campuses by pittsburgh but I'll be either at UP or at JHU in the fall.

my mom is an R.N. who doesn't have a bachelor's degree, and makes a little over $200k a year. very few people in that hospital work harder than she does.

Seriously, when does your mom find time to sleep or eat. May wife works on average 50-60 hours a week as an agency RN at $55(60 on weekends) an hour and she only makes about $120,000 a year. I just don't see how she can make the same per hour and make an additional 80 grand a year. She is working slave hours to do that. WOW!!!! :eek:

Seriously, when does your mom find time to sleep or eat. May wife works on average 50-60 hours a week as an agency RN at $55(60 on weekends) an hour and she only makes about $120,000 a year. I just don't see how she can make the same per hour and make an additional 80 grand a year. She is working slave hours to do that. WOW!!!! :eek:

she works about 60 hrs a week; 40 of those hours are in the OR and 20 in labor and delivery. hourly wage is higher though, due to seniority (been at one hospital for close to 30 years) and location (as i mentioned before, san francisco has to pay more to account for the higher cost of living). she also works a lot of holidays and stuff, where the hourly pay is ridiculous.

I'd respect you a lot more if I knew what this post said.
lol. Fantastic!!!! i'll rather you keep your respect to your self. i have read hundreds of post about nurses on this forum and where they end and this is no different. Someone has to work on their wordings when addressing sensitive topics like this.

Just a question.. :scared: how do you have the mental tenacity to capitalize the first letter of every single word? :laugh: Do you have a program that does it for you? If so, could you please refer me to that website? I would be really interested in something like that! PM me if you have one. Thanks! :D

<3

Hahaha:laugh:....very funny. the software was created in my gameroom and i may just get rich if i find people as interesting as you to buy them:cool:

lol. Fantastic!!!! i'll rather you keep your respect to your self. i have read hundreds of post about nurses on this forum and where they end and this is no different. Someone has to work on their wordings when addressing sensitive topics like this.

What?

Can a girl get a translator ovah heah??

Is it too late to change your screen name to Alfabet Soop?

Anything for you girll:oops:

Por favor toma una pastia de relaxe (please take a chill pill)

Haha pastia de relaxe!

Seriously though, why did you capitalize the beginning of every word in your first post. Thats crazy behavior, I must know the reason for this!

Haha pastia de relaxe!

Seriously though, why did you capitalize the beginning of every word in your first post. Thats crazy behavior, I must know the reason for this!

DROGBA!!! :hardy: You missed boobie talk in the Lounge.

actually no, but the problem is my software will not sell as much :)

By "software" do you mean a crayon and a square of toilet paper?

Haha pastia de relaxe!

SOMETIMES WHEN PEOPLE HAVE VERY WEAK ARGUMENTS THEY THINK THAT YELLING IN ALL CAPITALS WILL HELP THEIR CASE. LUCKILY THE FORUM SOFTWARE HAS BUILT-IN IDIOT DETECTION AND AUTOMATICALLY REDUCES THESE OUTBURSTS TO CAPTIAL FIRST LETTERS AND LOWERCASE SUBSEQUENT LETTERS FOR EACH WORD IN SAID TIRADE.

Edit: nevermind, guess this site doesn't do that. She really must just be crazy. Or maybe it was all the title of a book she's writing.

And yet at no point did you deny being one of them. Hmmm....:hungover:

SOMETIMES WHEN PEOPLE HAVE VERY WEAK ARGUMENTS THEY THINK THAT YELLING IN ALL CAPITALS WILL HELP THEIR CASE. LUCKILY THE FORUM SOFTWARE HAS BUILT-IN IDIOT DETECTION AND AUTOMATICALLY REDUCES THESE OUTBURSTS TO CAPTIAL FIRST LETTERS AND LOWERCASE SUBSEQUENT LETTERS FOR EACH WORD IN SAID TIRADE.

ahh, that would explain it.

Edit: nevermind, guess this site doesn't do that. She really must just be crazy. Or maybe it was all the title of a book she's writing.
hahahahahahahaha......crazy is an under statement. i guess the idiot detectors are not working well because a virus just got thru AGAIN!!!!!!!

hahahahahahahaha......crazy is an under statement. i guess the idiot detectors are not working well because a virus just got thru AGAIN!!!!!!!

ummm.....................yeahhh.......I think you should go now.