NYCOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, similar thing happened to me on the MCAT, left me blind-sighted. Did you retake? I did and I really hope it wasn't a mistake if I did even worse. :scared: As it is it delayed my secondaries.

Ya, but I don't really care anymore. I was accepted at WVSOM, and it's a great school, so we'll see what happens with the other ones. Good luck to you, hopefully you get an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Ya, but I don't really care anymore. I was accepted at WVSOM, and it's a great school, so we'll see what happens with the other ones. Good luck to you, hopefully you get an acceptance.
So you got in with a 22? Good for you! Well I do not have all the experience you have; hopefully i have enough other things or at least a balance to get accepted somewhere...anywhere! :scared:

So you got in with a 22? Good for you! Well I do not have all the experience you have; hopefully i have enough other things or at least a balance to get accepted somewhere...anywhere! :scared:

Sure did. It's not just about these stupid exams which don't really get a good grasp of what you're capable of and how you will actually perform.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure did. It's not just about these stupid exams which don't really get a good grasp of what you're capable of and how you will actually perform.
Well that sounds good to me...the rest of my application is so much better than some stupid exam...even if i took it twice. :( :eek: :scared:

haha, i'm pretty sure that i'm not the only one who got one, but i am instate and my last name is in the beginning of the alphabet, if it makes a difference...:rolleyes:
i'm interviewing 11/6 :woot:

I will be interviewing 11/6 too. See you there.

does anyone know what the acceptance deposit at nycom is.

oh crap.. if accepted, how long does one have to pay it?
"NYCOM issues acceptance on a rolling basis. Applicants may also be placed in a wait list category for
future consideration, as openings become available after the class is filled. Upon acceptance, a NONREFUNDABLE $1,500 Enrollment Confirmation Deposit is required to confirm a place in the class."

I'll get you the other info in a minute.

Those accepted prior to November 15​
will have
until December 14

•​
Those accepted between November 15 and
January 14
will have 30 days

•​
Those accepted between January 15 and June 14

will have 14 days​
•​
Those accepted after June 15 may be asked for
an immediate deposit

•​
Earliest acceptance date: 11-15-2008

•​
Latest acceptance date: Until class is filled

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 29 MCAT and 3.63 gpa.....I know this might not necessarily make you feel better but keep your fingers crossed...its still SO early on in the cycle

I have a 29 MCAT and 3.63 gpa.....I know this might not necessarily make you feel better but keep your fingers crossed...its still SO early on in the cycle
Thanks, it doesn't make me feel better. :( Congrats on yours. Your MCAT is much better than mine and my non-science gpa is pretty similar; my science gpa is 3.9.

is there a minimum MCAT requirement at NYCOM for admission? i have an interview on nov. 11th, but i'm still worried that my MCAT score will hold me back.

is there a minimum MCAT requirement at NYCOM for admission? i have an interview on nov. 11th, but i'm still worried that my MCAT score will hold me back.
They wouldn't have sent you an invite if your MCAT score didn't make the cut? What is it anyway? Congrats!

Did anyone receive a confirmation that they received the LORs? I sent mine in around the end of Sept (when I got their e-mail) and haven't heard anything since...hopefully i'll get something in the mail soon!! :)

Did anyone receive a confirmation that they received the LORs? I sent mine in around the end of Sept (when I got their e-mail) and haven't heard anything since...hopefully i'll get something in the mail soon!! :)

I called them to see if they recieved my LORs and they told me they don't give out updates. You'll only hear from them after the committee reviews your file.

Hope you hear something soon though. I'm also waiting in anticipation.

Cool, thanks man for the quick reply :)

Good luck to you too!!

do you need to send LOR to get a secondary/interview invite?

do you need to send LOR to get a secondary/interview invite?

It certainly sounds like it.

Dear Applicant for the Entering Class of 2009:

We are pleased to acknowledge receipt of your AACOMAS application. The Admissions Committee will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, with interviews beginning in November. Selection for interviews will be based upon the AACOMAS primary application. Please note this valuable information:

* Supplemental applications will only be sent to candidates who are chosen to be interviewed.

* You may have your letters of recommendation forwarded directly to NYCOM Admissions at this time. We require either Pre-Professional Committee Recommendations or three individual Letters of Recommendation from faculty members (two must be from science faculty). Please forward them to:

New York College of Osteopathic Medicine/NYIT
Attn: NYCOM Admissions Office
Northern Boulevard
PO Box 8000
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000

Please note that we do not participate in VirtualEvals.

* Since all future notifications will be sent by mail, it is important that you notify AACOMAS directly of any changes in your address and contact information.

* Due to the large volume of applications received by NYCOM it will not be possible to conduct individual status checks. We will be contacting you regarding the completion of your application as the Admissions Committee conducts reviews.

We look forward to reviewing your application and wish you success in your academic pursuit.

New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Office of Admissions

I called NYCOM about a week ago as part of my weekly check up on my schools, anxiety ritual haha Anddd i was gettnig worried because I couldnt remember if I sent my LORs to NYCOM (although im positive i did and im just being ridiculousss). The lady informed me that she couldn't let me know if they were received, which panicked me because I immediately thought: what if I thought I sent them, but really didn't and neverrrr get an interview because I never know my LORs weren't sent. I immediately called back (haha) and she reassured me that you don't need the LORs to get the secondary. Once they invite you to fill it out/interview you can check if your LORs are out...

hope this help anddd that this lady wasn't just telling me what i wanted to hear because I'm neurotic haha. have a great day everybody!

thanks for you reply anon y mous. i'm just overly paranoid that it will still interfere with admission. i have a 22Q ... i totally bombed and then retook it and did even worse -- nerves or idk what happened? so frustrating because i was doing much better on practice exams. my research/internship experience is strong and my gpa is high ... i'm praying that will be enough :confused: ... i'm keeping my fingers crossed!

thanks for you reply anon y mous. i'm just overly paranoid that it will still interfere with admission. i have a 22Q ... i totally bombed and then retook it and did even worse -- nerves or idk what happened? so frustrating because i was doing much better on practice exams. my research/internship experience is strong and my gpa is high ... i'm praying that will be enough :confused: ... i'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Wow!!! There's always the thought of doing worse. but hopefully things sound improved; good luck to you!

Last edited:
Wow!!! That's what I'm scared to death of...doing worse; then I shouldn't have retaken and delayed my application process. And this time I was getting 30 or even 31 on all my practices. I can't understand why I haven't heard from any school yet; other than my MCAT score, what is wrong with my app? Good luck to you. Are you a NY resident?

yes I'm from NY - long island actually. what is your MCAT score? i'm sure you will hear from places, especially if the rest of your application is strong. and don't be discouraged because of my story .. i feel like my going down from an already poor score is a true exception. i was devasted but hopefully something will work out.

you delayed your application process? i actually did the same thing, to study and retake the test (didn't go as i planned) so I am doing reasearch during the year between college and med school (hopefully). what are you doing? have you applied to schools in your area? -- that may help

yes I'm from NY - long island actually. what is your MCAT score? i'm sure you will hear from places, especially if the rest of your application is strong. and don't be discouraged because of my story .. i feel like my going down from an already poor score is a true exception. i was devasted but hopefully something will work out.

you delayed your application process? i actually did the same thing, to study and retake the test (didn't go as i planned) so I am doing reasearch during the year between college and med school (hopefully). what are you doing? have you applied to schools in your area? -- that may help

Last edited:
Your score CAN go up after a retake. Two points though:

1) Make sure you are qualitatively MORE prepared. Don't be a statistic. The most common result is +/- 2 points around your score. Check the published data.

2) Don't gauge your performance on how you feel. I felt worse the second time, but did better. Attack the test. Make sure you are scoring 1-2 points OVER your goal score on practice tests.

Good luck.

Man the waiting to hear is just driving me crazy. I'd give anything to just know whether I have any chance at interviews. I just keep thinking about how if I don't get in this session I gotta look for a job and an apartment and worry about reapplying and GAH too much coffee today.

Man the waiting to hear is just driving me crazy. I'd give anything to just know whether I have any chance at interviews. I just keep thinking about how if I don't get in this session I gotta look for a job and an apartment and worry about reapplying and GAH too much coffee today.
I can not imagine that you wouldn't get in. Now, me, that's a different story. But I'm going crazy waiting for the first step. :( You've had interviews, right?

I can not imagine that you wouldn't get in. Now, me, that's a different story. But I'm going crazy waiting for the first step. :( You've had interviews, right?

Nah cause I'm only recently complete (MCAT came out 9/23)

Nah cause I'm only recently complete (MCAT came out 9/23)
That was your first MCAT or a retake? If a retake, did you checkoff you were retaking? What did you get on the first one? Do they not consider you complete until they get all MCATs?

That was your first MCAT or a retake? If a retake, did you checkoff you were retaking? What did you get on the first one? Do they not consider you complete until they get all MCATs?

That was my first (and only) one.

I called NYCOM about a week ago as part of my weekly check up on my schools, anxiety ritual haha Anddd i was gettnig worried because I couldnt remember if I sent my LORs to NYCOM (although im positive i did and im just being ridiculousss). The lady informed me that she couldn't let me know if they were received, which panicked me because I immediately thought: what if I thought I sent them, but really didn't and neverrrr get an interview because I never know my LORs weren't sent. I immediately called back (haha) and she reassured me that you don't need the LORs to get the secondary. Once they invite you to fill it out/interview you can check if your LORs are out...

hope this help anddd that this lady wasn't just telling me what i wanted to hear because I'm neurotic haha. have a great day everybody!

Whenever I call there the lady is always rude and it seems as if she doesn't want to talk to anybody. I'm sure she gets calls all the time, but if she's one of the people that is supposed to be promoting the school, you think she'd be nicer...

Whenever I call there the lady is always rude and it seems as if she doesn't want to talk to anybody. I'm sure she gets calls all the time, but if she's one of the people that is supposed to be promoting the school, you think she'd be nicer...

Yeah but whether shes nice or not theres still going to be thousands of people applying, so why bother being nice?

And I'd probably be annoyed too with thousands upon thousands of whiney premeds calling day after day wondering if they've considered them.

Yeah but whether shes nice or not theres still going to be thousands of people applying, so why bother being nice?

And I'd probably be annoyed too with thousands upon thousands of whiney premeds calling day after day wondering if they've considered them.

Have you talked to admissions staff from other schools? There is a difference. It makes me wonder how the rest of the staff are.

Have you talked to admissions staff from other schools? There is a difference. It makes me wonder how the rest of the staff are.

Yeah I've dealt with some others that are nice, oh well. Everyone has bad days.

Haha I got the same lady....but she said they'll contact you if theres anything missing through email.

....so its like we're just thrown into the dark with this one... I'm thinking I'm spending a lot of money with applying to schools and what not, so I at least deserve a status check.

Haha I got the same lady....but she said they'll contact you if theres anything missing through email.

....so its like we're just thrown into the dark with this one... I'm thinking I'm spending a lot of money with applying to schools and what not, so I at least deserve a status check.

At least NYCOM doesn't make you waste 100$ and time on a secondary application unless you're actually being invited for an interview.

Any OOS NYCOM love, yet? I've decorated my mailbox with NY stickers and magnets. The mailman has not gotten the hint, apparently.

Not yet for me. Crossing my fingers though! I did get an invite to Touro - Harlem and if NYCOM invites soon, I can kill two birds with one stone.

PCOM and NYCOM are the only schools I'm waiting on. I just sent in PCOM stuff about a week and a half ago. But NYCOM is scaring me!!!

PCOM and NYCOM are the only schools I'm waiting on. I just sent in PCOM stuff about a week and a half ago. But NYCOM is scaring me!!!

YOU'RE scaring me! With stats like yours if you don't get love from NYCOM, then I'm just going to go to a corner and cry.