NYCOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Chillax my friends. I've been interviewed at a top 15 MD school, but not gotten an interview at my state school. Things are weird, who knows why things happen except the adcoms. My success/failure is independent of your chances.

I wish you all the best of :luck:.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting to get worried about NYCOM..i'm instate, have decent stats and am still waiting to hear from them :( a couple questions...

1. does nycom continually go through applications all year (aka not reject you right away) like other DO schools?
2. ive heard that NYCOM is one of the most competitive do schools in the sense that even though it doesnt have the highest average stats soooo many apply there (making it harder to get into)..is this true?

thanksss!

I'm starting to get worried about NYCOM..i'm instate, have decent stats and am still waiting to hear from them :( a couple questions...

1. does nycom continually go through applications all year (aka not reject you right away) like other DO schools?
2. ive heard that NYCOM is one of the most competitive do schools in the sense that even though it doesnt have the highest average stats soooo many apply there (making it harder to get into)..is this true?

thanksss!

I have no idea about your second question, but as far as the first, NYCOM doesn't typically send rejections (if at all). That's one of the biggest complaints that I've seen on SDN over the past few years. They'll let everyone hang during and even beyond the interview season. Don't panic if you haven't heard from them yet. Their interview season starts later and therefore ends later. There is plenty of time left for NYCOM!

Good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have received two emails from NYCOM saying basically the same thing: "we got your primary, now send your recommendations." However, the emails were not identical, I was just wondering if anyone has received the same two emails?

I have received two emails from NYCOM saying basically the same thing: "we got your primary, now send your recommendations." However, the emails were not identical, I was just wondering if anyone has received the same two emails?

I only got one like that. Maybe they really want your letters.

Their interview season starts later and therefore ends later. There is plenty of time left for NYCOM!

Good luck. :luck:

Which sucks, because most other schools start their interviews earlier, and if you get accepted at one of them, you'll most likely have to put a deposit down by 12/15.

yes i got two of them.. so i called to make sure they received the letters from the first time i sent them.. they said not to worry, those e-mails are automated.. so as long as you sent your letters, you should be fine.

Which sucks, because most other schools start their interviews earlier, and if you get accepted at one of them, you'll most likely have to put a deposit down by 12/15.

Yup. I paid a deposit at another school - tons of people in my class did. In the long run a couple thousand dollars isn't that big of a deal.

Yup. I paid a deposit at another school - tons of people in my class did. In the long run a couple thousand dollars isn't that big of a deal.

I know that pain well LOL!

Chillax my friends. I've been interviewed at a top 15 MD school, but not gotten an interview at my state school. Things are weird, who knows why things happen except the adcoms. My success/failure is independent of your chances.

I wish you all the best of :luck:.

UUUUgggghhh, I think scary thoughts every time I hear someone say "My friends..." now. Let's hope and pray that McCain doesn't take "chillax" from us too.

UUUUgggghhh, I think scary thoughts every time I hear someone say "My friends..." now. Let's hope and pray that McCain doesn't take "chillax" from us too.

Finally a Bruce vs. Chuck post!!! Who hooo! Oh wait, Bruce killed Chuck in Enter the Dragon....

Yeah, I get cringes everytime I hear McCain say "My Friends" google the tounge jut and learn more too...

thanksss!

fyi, class of 2012 had over 4900 applicants for 300 spots. good luck guys! if you come to NYCOM, be prepared to work your @$$ off.

fyi, class of 2012 had over 4900 applicants for 300 spots. good luck guys! if you come to NYCOM, be prepared to work your @$$ off.

To quote an email we got from our Dean...

"The class of 2012 accepted 297 students which brings our total enrollment to 1,176 students. Of the 4,849 applicants, 6% were accepted (1 of 18 students)."

To those of you who are worried because you didn't get an interview invite yet, don't be. NYCOM usually interviews from November to April and there are plenty of students in our class with great scores that didn't interview until the Spring. NYCOM doesn't send out rejection letters so if you didn't hear anything from them it can be a bit worrisome but don't give up on them until late April/early May.

Members don't see this ad :)

"The class of 2012 accepted 297 students which brings our total enrollment to 1,176 students. Of the 4,849 applicants, 6% were accepted (1 of 18 students)."

To those of you who are worried because you didn't get an interview invite yet, don't be. NYCOM usually interviews from November to April and there are plenty of students in our class with great scores that didn't interview until the Spring. NYCOM doesn't send out rejection letters so if you didn't hear anything from them it can be a bit worrisome but don't give up on them until late April/early May.

thanks for that reassurance! and yayy for a UD alum at NYCOM! (I mean i'm assuming you went there due to the huge pic of YouDee haha). awesomeee :)

ah, i see my mental estimate of that figure was a little off. thanks for the specifics.

and to the applicants for this cycle -- hang in there! the NYCOM admissions office is a very busy place but it doesn't mean they are ignoring you, even if you are concerned that you haven't gotten invites at this point. it's still early in the game, try to be patient! i know thats hard, i remember being in your shoes, but hopefully doors will open for all of you intent on going into medicine.

if you have any questions about NYCOM from a current first year's prospective, i'll do as best as i can to help you. :thumbup:

for nycom, can u receive an interview before all your letters of reccomendations have arriveD?

Still waiting for a reply. Out of state, 3.39 GPA (lil less for science), 29 MCAT, with reasonable med experience.

What is going on? :confused:

Still waiting for a reply. Out of state, 3.39 GPA (lil less for science), 29 MCAT, with reasonable med experience.

What is going on? :confused:

In the past the out of staters received interview invites 1 month after instate people. So expect them to start sending out the invites to non-NY'ers around Nov. :)

I dont know why NYCOM doesn't do application completeness updates...
"have you received my LORs yet?"
"I cant tell you that..."
???

What are you complaining about: in state, 29 MCAT, 3.9 sci, 3.7 overall, reasonable med experience, research, unusual EC, etc...?!!

In all fairness its not always THAT easy - so just because someone has good stats does not mean they are guaranteed acceptance . I was one of the few on the wait list last year (no doubt one of the worst experiences ever), and didn't have much different marks - but I was out of state. Even with that said I still think you have a great chance at getting in!

Good luck to everyone, it seems like I'm gonna try and stick it out once more with you all.

Last edited:
anyone else interviewing 12/3?

Hey all,

I got into CCOM so I canceled my interview for this Thursday, which means they should have an open spot, so if you live in the area and can make it there, you might call and ask if they have any openings...

Good luck!

plus another L...

Did anyone else have engineer parents who viewed not being able to spell as a sign of intelligence?

plus another L...

Did anyone else have engineer parents who viewed not being able to spell as a sign of intelligence?

Uh what? I have engineer parents but I don't think they went to their friends and bragged "HEY!!! ENGINEEREDOUT DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO SPELL THE WORD OMNIPOTONT!!! Yup, my boy is going to be a rocket scientist, just you wait and see..."

are people already interviewing? i haven't seen any suits yet... if anyone has any questions feel free to flag me down in the parking lot. just look for the guy who looks like brad pitt and is built like a calvin klein model.

(that was a joke...)

I'm interviewing this Thursday. If you have any tips please let me know!!! Its my number 1 school!!!!!

I'm interviewing this Thursday. If you have any tips please let me know!!! Its my number 1 school!!!!!

I think you are one of the first to interview. Their website says they start interviewing in Nov, so....but I could be wrong.

Best of luck, and hope you get in, since its your #1.

really not many tips to give. just do your HW on the school and know what it has to offer in order to sell the point that it's the right school for you... most of our interviewers are awesome so don't worry... i've heard almost nobody say they had a stress interview here so just be yourself and have fun

Hey all,

I got into CCOM so I canceled my interview for this Thursday, which means they should have an open spot, so if you live in the area and can make it there, you might call and ask if they have any openings...

Good luck!

Thank you so much. I just got your spot this morning. I was scheduled for the 19th but wanted to move the date earlier so I can make a decision before the deadline for Touro's deposit(this friday) but all the interview dates were filled for the week! So glad you posted :thumbup:

Hey,
Glad it worked out. Something good should come from wasting time on these forums. Hopefully you'll have an idea after the interview. Good luck.

Thank you so much. I just got your spot this morning. I was scheduled for the 19th but wanted to move the date earlier so I can make a decision before the deadline for Touro's deposit(this friday) but all the interview dates were filled for the week! So glad you posted :thumbup:

i don't see how interviewing on thursday will help you make a decision about the deposit that's due on friday...? am i missing something?

i don't see how interviewing on thursday will help you make a decision about the deposit that's due on friday...? am i missing something?

I don't have the money to pursue both schools at the same time.Depending on how I feel about the school after the interview, I may choose to withdraw from Touro-NY and use that $2000 towards NYCOM in the event I get accepted....vice-versa.

Last edited:
I don't have the money to pursue both schools at the same time.Depending on how I feel about the school after the interview, I may choose to withdraw from Touro-NY and use that $2000 towards NYCOM in the event I get accepted....vice-versa.

Wouldn't that mean giving up an acceptance for a maybe? I guess you already have another first choice? Or am I missing something?

Wouldn't that mean giving up an acceptance for a maybe? I guess you already have another first choice? Or am I missing something?

Don't really have a first choice. My stats are pretty good for NYCOM and the fact that I'm in-state may help. Also I'm one of first group to be interviewed. So these factors may favor my chance for an acceptance. But I'll make the decision after the interview on thursday.

I understand your position. I am in a similar boat regarding my out of state applications, and am thinking of taking out another 5k "student" loan for winter quarter, which begins 12/1, in order to fund the rest of the interview/deposit process so I can apply more broadly.

For those interviewing tommo, good luck!! I think its the first one of this season. There's nothing to be worried about. The interviews are really relaxed.

Don't really have a first choice. My stats are pretty good for NYCOM and the fact that I'm in-state may help. Also I'm one of first group to be interviewed. So these factors may favor my chance for an acceptance. But I'll make the decision after the interview on thursday.

I understand your confidence and I also understand money may be a big issue, but in this process, and I'm sure others will agree with me, you NEVER give up a sure thing for a maybe like that... strange things happen and would you want to end up not going to any school for 2k in your pocket that you now have to spend reapplying next year (or the better scenario is getting in somewhere else that you don't like as much as touro, for example)...

my 0.02c, do as you wish, of course...

PS: i saw you interviewees today in your suits outside our ICC (where you saw us waiting with our white coats on...) everyone looked sharp. how were the first impressions and interviews? do you remember who was interviewing today?

you NEVER give up a sure thing for a maybe like that... strange things happen and would you want to end up not going to any school for 2k in your pocket that you now have to spend reapplying next year

can't agree with you enough. it's a hard enough process, you shouldn't close any doors before they're even made available to you. hedge your bets on where you know you got in, not where you THINK you'll get it.

p.s. hope you guys look sharp. known fact that NYCOM screens male candidates based on their tie choice. if yours came in a box with a shirt, you're not cutting it.

:laugh:

Interview at 11, I am worrrrrrriiiieeeeeddddddd!!!

3.309 gpa
29 mcat
In state
Let you know how it goes

So does the interview invite come in a large packet/envelope in snail mail? If so I have one waiting for me at home right now :D

Do they assign you a date or do you decide yourself?

I understand your confidence and I also understand money may be a big issue, but in this process, and I'm sure others will agree with me, you NEVER give up a sure thing for a maybe like that... strange things happen and would you want to end up not going to any school for 2k in your pocket that you now have to spend reapplying next year (or the better scenario is getting in somewhere else that you don't like as much as touro, for example)...

my 0.02c, do as you wish, of course...

My thoughts, exactly. I thought I was missing something, since it seems unfathomable to risk a sure thing on a maybe for $2K. If you have to apply again next year, it wouldn't be fun to have to spend that same $2K on apps and traveling. Ugh.

NYCOM got my application on 9/24 (email acknowledgment ) and evals around oct 15. I honestly was expecting a secondary but I have received no call or email; is anyone in the same position.

28r
science gpa 3.6
AO: 3.5

was that not the most laid back interview ever? which one were you tourniquet?

was that not the most laid back interview ever? which one were you tourniquet?
yeh, the interview was pretty chill.. i think it went well.. i was suprised to have been interview by a PhD... he was cool..

i was the chick in the pink shirt and the black skirt suit..

who were you?

So does the interview invite come in a large packet/envelope in snail mail? If so I have one waiting for me at home right now :D

Do they assign you a date or do you decide yourself?
Business size envelope, and you call for a date.

Strange, I heard nothing for weeks and then I got invites to most of my DO schools in less than a week. :idea:

Last edited:
NYCOM got my application on 9/24 (email acknowledgment ) and evals around oct 15. I honestly was expecting a secondary but I have received no call or email; is anyone in the same position.

28r
science gpa 3.6
AO: 3.5
You get the secondary and invite at the same time.

Last edited: