NYCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new discussion starts here!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having issues selecting this school on the AACOMAS? The box that I need to click on to select it is inactive so I can't click on it.

Hey Guys,

I was looking at the NYCOM Secondary online. It says to list all the activities and dates. In the FAQs it says list and describe. Is anyone describing all their experiences? I feel like to do this I'd just have to copy and paste everything over from the primary into the supplemental. But I also feel this is redundant. Anyone have any advice about this? I'd really appreciate it.

Hey Guys,

I was looking at the NYCOM Secondary online. It says to list all the activities and dates. In the FAQs it says list and describe. Is anyone describing all their experiences? I feel like to do this I'd just have to copy and paste everything over from the primary into the supplemental. But I also feel this is redundant. Anyone have any advice about this? I'd really appreciate it.

Be as comprehensive as possible, don't worry about being redundant, tweak it up a bit but don't just "list" if the experience means more to you than just a bullet point.

http://www.nyit.edu/nycom/admissions/frequently_asked_questions

1. Does NYCOM use a supplemental application?

Yes, we use an online supplemental application that is for all applicants. It is important to complete the supplemental as soon as you have received an email from us acknowledging your AACOMAS application and directing you to the supplemental. For more specific questions and instructions for the supplemental application, visit the “How to Apply” tab on our website.

There are two different sets of instructions...

Wow, haha, I feel ridiculous for asking. Should've looked at the website first. Thanks for pointing it out!

Is it mandatory to fill out the area in the secondary application where it says to list individuals who have recommended for you to apply to NYCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an email telling them to submit the secondary?

I submitted mine long time ago and got a confirmation email. I did not wait for their email.

does anyone know when they start reviewing and sending out interviews?

does anyone know when they start reviewing and sending out interviews?

I was wondering the same thing.... According to last year's posts, people didn't receive secondary invites until early Sept and interview invites didn't go out until Oct.

Seems so late compared to other schools.

Don't worry yet; NYCOM runs on a much later schedule than most other schools.

How can I be sure that they get a LOR from a DO I shadowed? I used Interfolio and did the send letters thing, but for NYCOM it wanted to send to AMCAS. So I created a letter request there and had it sent. How then does it go to NYCOM specifically?

If you were prompted to send it to AMCAS you might have typed in NY medical college or another school since NY-COM wouldn't use ACMAS as it is a DO school. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Can anyone post the NYCOM secondary questions if they have them? Thanks :)

ahhh, great. thanks. funny that NYCOM doesn't really care when you submit their secondary - could've worked on it while waiting for my primary to process!

Here's the prompt: List and describe your hobbies and recreational interests

For this section do you think they are looking for more academic interest and hobbies or do they literally want to know what are my hobbies (I'm only asking bc I have a lot of interest and hobbies so I don't want to sound like a douche and list a bunch of stuff they care nothing about) .

So far I have this:
1.Basketball: 4 years varsity college women's basketball, I've played since the 3rd grade.
2. Soccer: Just picked up this sport post undergrad (Indoor and Outdoor)
3. Electric Guitar: Recently(within the last 2 years) got into rock music, currently teaching myself to play the guitar ....

I have a lot more but stopped there bc I thought those are stupid as far as a medical school app.... Am I wrong? If I'm right what stuff should I include here?

Last edited:
Here's the prompt: List and describe your hobbies and recreational interests

For this section do you think they are looking for more academic interest and hobbies or do they literally want to know what are my hobbies (I'm only asking bc I have a lot of interest and hobbies so I don't what to sound like a douche and list a bunch of stuff they care nothing about) .

So far I have this:
1.Basketball: 4 years varsity college women's basketball, I've played since the 3rd grade.
2. Soccer: Just picked up this sport post undergrad (Indoor and Outdoor)
3. Electric Guitar: Recently(within the last 2 years) got into rock music, currently teaching myself to play the guitar ....

I have a lot more but stopped there bc I thought those are stupid as far as a medical school app.... Am I wrong? If I'm right what stuff should I include here?

I don't think those are stupid at all, schools like well rounded applicants. Varsity soccer shows you're a hard worker, and teaching yourself to play guitar shows you're a good learner... You might want to include some other more medically related stuff, but I'd keep those

I don't think those are stupid at all, schools like well rounded applicants. Varsity soccer shows you're a hard worker, and teaching yourself to play guitar shows you're a good learner... You might want to include some other more medically related stuff, but I'd keep those

Thanks for you're input, I really appreciate that =)

Yeah, I kind of took it as ECs outside of academia, as you have plenty of other sections to talk about employment, volunteering, and research. :confused:

Yeah, I kind of took it as ECs outside of academia, as you have plenty of other sections to talk about employment, volunteering, and research. :confused:

I wasn't intending to say it was bad if she didn't include them, I was just encouraging her to keep what was there and if she felt like she wanted to ad more medically relevant stuff it would probably be ok. I was not trying to send the impression that it was needed.

FYI, you can't go back to edit a previous section once you hit "Save and Continue"

When you get to the review section you can go back. You just have to go in the same order and you can't skip sections.

Has anyone received an email telling them to submit the secondary?

I called them a few times, including just last week, regarding the secondary. The adcoms repeatedly stated to wait for an email confirming receipt of a primary app before submitting the secondary. So I'm not entirely sure if it's wise to submit the secondary prior to the email. In addition, in the past NYCOM starts handing out interviews in october, so these emails should come out sometime in september as they did last year.

so... should i not submit the application? i have it filled out and ready, but then i saw something about an application key given by NYCOM. Would that application key come from a confirmation email or something?

In the past, only those invited to interviews filled out secondary application.

so... should i not submit the application? i have it filled out and ready, but then i saw something about an application key given by NYCOM. Would that application key come from a confirmation email or something?

Their website says you are supposed to wait until an email is sent to you regarding instructions on the secondary application. So, WAIT/ATTENDEZ/ASPETTI/WARTEN SIE until you receive an email.

The reason they put a code on their is so that zealous premeds cannot inundate their systems when said system is not ready.

Anyone got secondaries yet?

Been verified for nearly a month...

Did ANYONE hear back from this school yet? My primary has been verified for quite a long time now, but no secondary invite from NYCOM still. Does this mean that I have been screened out already? Or do we just complete the secondary and send it in anyway?

I know I'm getting a little crazy here, but it's because NYCOM is one of my top choices. Good luck to everyone applying.

Did ANYONE hear back from this school yet? My primary has been verified for quite a long time now, but no secondary invite from NYCOM still. Does this mean that I have been screened out already? Or do we just complete the secondary and send it in anyway?

I haven't heard anything yet either- I don't think this means you were screened out.
Doesn't really seem like anyone on SDN has heard back from them yet. NYCOM is the only school I have yet to hear from! I supposed patience is a virtue

^^ Thank you for the info. I've been waiting for an "invite" to the secondaries haha Man now I feel stupid waiting for something that might've never came....

They don't send an invite for the secondary, it's just on their site. Everyone is invited to submit it, someone posted a link in an earlier post

I called them a few times, including just last week, regarding the secondary. The adcoms repeatedly stated to wait for an email confirming receipt of a primary app before submitting the secondary. So I'm not entirely sure if it's wise to submit the secondary prior to the email. In addition, in the past NYCOM starts handing out interviews in october, so these emails should come out sometime in september as they did last year.

If tlayng is correct, I wonder why the adcoms would tell you to continue waiting for a confirmation email of the secondary.

So I emailed the admissions office to ask them what was up with the secondary. I was verified on 8/8 and the scores released to them on 8/11. They replied that I can either wait until a confirmation email was sent stating that they received my secondary, or that I could go ahead and fill out the secondary and, presumably, send it in (directions for which they included in the email).

To which I replied that I did not want to send in a secondary application if the school had in fact not received my primary application. They replied that they received my primary.

So, apparently, it looks like you can go ahead and fill out and send in the secondary or wait for an email. I'm going ahead and sending it in tomorrow.

So I emailed the admissions office to ask them what was up with the secondary. I was verified on 8/8 and the scores released to them on 8/11. They replied that I can either wait until a confirmation email was sent stating that they received my secondary, or that I could go ahead and fill out the secondary and, presumably, send it in (directions for which they included in the email).

To which I replied that I did not want to send in a secondary application if the school had in fact not received my primary application. They replied that they received my primary.

So, apparently, it looks like you can go ahead and fill out and send in the secondary or wait for an email. I'm going ahead and sending it in tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing:thumbup: .... Kind of silly they would say do either or (as in wait for the email or just send it out) ... what's the point of the email :confused:

But if they don't have the intention to give you a secondary (as in they are not interested in you), then sending in the secondary ahead of time would be a waste of money..unless your essay blows them away.

But if they don't have the intention to give you a secondary (as in they are not interested in you), then sending in the secondary ahead of time would be a waste of money..unless your essay blows them away.

I don't think the email shows that they have an interest in you (at less not for this school bc everyone that sent a primary can send in a secondary, there's no screening) ... so I guess without screening they want people to waste their money, free money for them

What kind of things did you guys write about when describing your hobby?

For example, If I want to describe ice skating, what should I say other than how long I've been doing it? :confused:

Got an e-mail from the adcom today saying to complete the secondary and that interviews will start in November. Very late turn around as my primary was released 7/14...