NYCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, I'm in a similar situation. I would be glad to hear about any additional financing sources out there. There are clear criteria for being disadvantaged based on family size and income level. Are there any scholarships out there for people who are not disadvantaged per NYCOM criteria?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the March 1st group and I called late last week. The lady I spoke to was very helpful and told me to "give it another week" since my file had not been reviewed at the prior committee meeting and I suppose the next one was coming up. Perhaps yours will be reviewed at the next meeting also?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the March 1st group and I called late last week. The lady I spoke to was very helpful and told me to "give it another week" since my file had not been reviewed at the prior committee meeting and I suppose the next one was coming up. Perhaps yours will be reviewed at the next meeting also?

Thats great news!

What I don't understand is how people that have interviewed weeks after you have heard back. But for some reason other peoples files have not been reviewed yet. :confused:

Yep, I don't get it either but there's nothing we can do about it so might as well let it be :)

Any recommendations on how first year students study i.e. with hard-paper texts or via ebooks? Do most students use iPads? Is anything of the like provided by the school?

Cheaper to buy eBooks? Are they as resourceful as hard-copy books, based on the experience of students who have already been there?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I was march 6th and havent heard a/t yet. i know that doesnt help you at all, just sayin ;)

March 15 =/ Did anyone try calling? I called about a week ago and they said "they still haven't made a decision. They also said the class is pretty much filled but there should be movement.

Damn, i interviewed 4/17..... if they are already full that means by the time they hit my file i got no shot. Hope deadlines for peoples deposits start passing already

Sort of a random question, but when is NYCOM's white coat ceremony for this year's incoming class?

Is it before 1st year starts or end of 1st year? I know every school is different, so was just wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sort of a random question, but when is NYCOM's white coat ceremony for this year's incoming class?

Is it before 1st year starts or end of 1st year? I know every school is different, so was just wondering.

End of second year.

I haven't seen anyone mention anything regarding 'priority' wait list positions. Is it just all one big wait list now?

Also is there any hope of being put on the medprep program?

I interviewed 4/17 and received my acceptance letter this Saturday 5/19, it was dated 5/17. I live relatively close to NYCOM so I think you all will be hearing shortly :D:xf:

I interviewed 4/17 and received my acceptance letter this Saturday 5/19, it was dated 5/17. I live relatively close to NYCOM so I think you all will be hearing shortly :D:xf:

Wow congratulations. were you the morning or afternoon interview sessison? so you got a letter before receiving an email?

just got my acceptance letter this morning and couldnt be happier!! i also live close to nycom, interviewed march 1st

I also got my acceptance letter today. I live close to NYCOM too. I interviewed the last week April 24th. Good Luck everyone!

Interviews 4/17. been calling the admission office and no1 has been answerin since thursday. Always goes to voicemail. this school is trying to give me a heart attack

I just called admissions (I also interviewed 4/17 and have yet to hear anything), and they said that decisions are being made and we should be receiving our feedback from them between this week and next. Congrats to those that have heard good news already!

I'm starting to think ECs are really make it or break it. I have better stats than many of the accepted applicants, but was weak on my ECs/shadowing/volunteering and got wait listed as a result.

Anyone who has been accepted but is not planning on attending this fall, please inform the admissions office of your choice. That way, those on the waitlist, including me, can hopefully start getting some good news. Thanks.

Any recommendations on how first year students study i.e. with hard-paper texts or via ebooks? Do most students use iPads? Is anything of the like provided by the school?

Cheaper to buy eBooks? Are they as resourceful as hard-copy books, based on the experience of students who have already been there?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hold off on buying books until you get into the swing of classes. I've survived my first year buying a minimal amount of books. Course notes are provided (they are all printed and left in our mailboxes) and the number of "required" texts they give you is crazy. In a lot of cases review books are helpful to give a broad view of the material and then focus on the finer points in the course notes.

In the beginning I'd start with a Netter's (or other comparable atlas of your choice) and then wait to see about other books.

I had pretty good stats, poor ecs and was waitlisted today after interviewing 3/6. Bummer

mcat 30
gpa 3.5

average EC's- nothing special
Waitlisted interviewed 4/17

This is like MD school level grades. If you're applying late with DO level grades it seems that extracurriculars really do affect whether you get in or wait listed.

mcat 30
gpa 3.5

average EC's- nothing special
Waitlisted interviewed 4/17

I know, i have 32 mcat, 3.6 gpa. very frustrating that ECs are killing me

Just got my wait-list letter today too. Interviewed on 4/17. Anyone know how likely it is for people to get picked off the wait-list and admitted for the fall?

So, does anyone else wait-listed for the Fall feel absolutely hopeless and stressed out on a daily basis? Me too!

Are ya'll basically resubmitting a duplicate of your last application for this upcoming year?

Anyone who was accepted hear back from the financial aid office about loans or anything? After I submitted my paperwork, it's like a month has gone by and I don't know anything about my loans...

Yeah I submitted my paperwork 3-4 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back either. Hopefully we get something soon.

Anyone gotten off the wait-list recently?

i'm on the waitlist and haven't heard back. i called the office and the receptionist wouldn't give me any information. when did you interview/get on the waitlist?

i'm on the waitlist and haven't heard back. i called the office and the receptionist wouldn't give me any information. when did you interview/get on the waitlist?

I interviewed the last week in April and got placed on the waitlist in May.I called the office last week and they said the usual about waitlists. That they didn't know how many people will actually get off as it varies by year and we could hear anywhere from now till august 17th if we were to get taken off. They were very vague so I was hoping anyone else who had called or had experienced the waitlist ordeal in the previous years could shed some light for those of us who are waiting.

Last edited:
I interviewed the last week in April and got placed on the waitlist in May.I called the office last week and they said the usual about waitlists. That they didn't know how many people will actually get off as it varies by year and we could hear anywhere from now till august 17th if we were to get taken off. They were very vague so I was hoping anyone else who had called or had experienced the waitlist ordeal in the previous years could shed some light for those of us who are waiting.

Someone got off the wait list last year the day before orientation...it happens. As to the secret of being taken off the wait list, that is indeed a mystery. Be persistent but polite.

Received an acceptance letter today, after being waitlisted on 4/19. Interviewed 3/20. Good luck to those of you that are still waiting.

Mind sharing your stats with those f us biting our nails? Thanks!

hi VCN3333,
were you in-state or OS?
thanks

Like many of you, I am on the waitlist - hoping to get accepted soon. Anyone who has been accepted and is not planning on matriculating, please inform admissions so that those of us on the waitlist can get in. Thanks

My stats are not that hot, but schools find my story rather unique in a lot of ways.

sGPA is 3.1
cGPA is 3.3
mcat is 28

Good luck to those of us that are still waiting!

Do you mind if I ask what made your story unique, what made you stand out?

Has anyone heard about any movement on the wait list?