NYCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone heard anything in the past week?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I heard back this past Monday (3/26); accepted (yay), interviewed 3/1, instate...I hated the waiting process, I hope those who haven't heard anything get something in the mail soon! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great!! Congrats!! I also interviewed 03/01 and am anxiously awaiting a decision... which person were you and who was your interviewer?

Hey I heard back this past Monday (3/26); accepted (yay), interviewed 3/1, instate...I hated the waiting process, I hope those who haven't heard anything get something in the mail soon! Good luck!

Hey guys
I've been accepted to NYCOM, but I'm still trying to decide between a couple of schools. Does anyone know how much time we have to study for the boards at NYCOM?

Hey Guys, I interviewed on 3/15, and just received my wait list letter from NYCOM (marked 3/23). Based on everybodys posts on here, it seems like I received a response insanely quick. Is this a good or bad thing? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole situation. Thanks!

Hey Guys, I interviewed on 3/15, and just received my wait list letter from NYCOM (marked 3/23). Based on everybodys posts on here, it seems like I received a response insanely quick. Is this a good or bad thing? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole situation. Thanks!

I think we could answer a little better if we had your stats?

Hey guys
I've been accepted to NYCOM, but I'm still trying to decide between a couple of schools. Does anyone know how much time we have to study for the boards at NYCOM?

I believe we get over a month to study after talking with a former student but I am not positive. If thats really a contributing factor to your decision just give NYCOM a call and ask or go to the fb page and ask one of the 1st or 2nd years who wrote on the wall to FB message them with any questions.

Wait listed 3/31
letter postmarked 3/23
Interviewed 3/13
MCAT 29
GPA 3.8
In state

Any hope?

I interviewed on 2/01, still haven't heard anything. is that a bad sign? is it wrong if I call them up every week? I already sent a letter of intent 2 weeks ago, I hope that helps.

Has anyone recently been invited for an interview here? And do you know when their last date for interviews and invites will be?
Thanks! Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed 3/6, havent heard anything yet. IS, 32, 3.6 sc gpa

Last edited:
I spoke with admissions at NYCOM today and I was told that if we have not been invited for an interview, we can assume we have been rejected, as they do not send rejection letters and all invites have been sent out. Booo. Best of luck to everyone, keep ur heads up!

I spoke with admissions at NYCOM today and I was told that if we have not been invited for an interview, we can assume we have been rejected, as they do not send rejection letters and all invites have been sent out. Booo. Best of luck to everyone, keep ur heads up!
Interview on Teusday.Any1 know if they have spots left?

Was just wondering what NYCOM's policy is regarding doing rotations away from New York.

I think I read somewhere that all core rotations (all of 3rd year) must be done at affiliated hospital, while for 4th year, rotations can be done anywhere? Is this correct?

ACCEPTED!!! Got the letter April 17, dated April 11. I am in-state, GPA 3.6, mcat 29q, interviewed 3/13. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

ACCEPTED!!! Got the letter April 17, dated April 11. I am in-state, GPA 3.6, mcat 29q, interviewed 3/13. Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Congrats jbcn! now we know they are still giving out acceptances haha

hey i had interview same day... got in same day too lol... which person were u at the interview?

hey i had interview same day... got in same day too lol... which person were u at the interview?
Hey! I was the girl with the curly hair in the morning interview session. I dont remember any names, so I doubt you would remember mine. Who were you? Are you going to accept the invite? I'm sending out the check today.

Hey! I was the girl with the curly hair in the morning interview session. I dont remember any names, so I doubt you would remember mine. Who were you? Are you going to accept the invite? I'm sending out the check today.

ooo i remember u jenny?? right? i facebooked u lol yea ima accept

Hi all, has anyone from the 3/20 interview heard a response from NYCOM regarding admission? In any sense, acceptance..waitlist..rejection?

Thanks and good luck

Last edited:
I interviewed at NYCOM on 3/20 too. Haven't heard anything yet, though the mail has yet to come today.

I interviewed 3/15 and still waiting to hear back!

I interviewed 2/01 and I'm still waiting to hear back! I WIN! hahhaha

Interviewed 2/2 and got the rejection letter today, good luck all

First year here. If anyone has questions feel free to contact me.

Hi peweee17, I want to know if you had any info on the acceptance trends this year. I interviewed march 8th and am still waiting to hear back. Hoping to get some good news soon but the admissions office isn't giving me any info on the process. Any light you can shed would be much appreciated.

Hey I wanted to ask you about the layout for the first year. Like what courses do you take and when do you have them (MWF?). Also are there any breaks and when does the first year end? Thanks!

Hi peweee17, I want to know if you had any info on the acceptance trends this year. I interviewed march 8th and am still waiting to hear back. Hoping to get some good news soon but the admissions office isn't giving me any info on the process. Any light you can shed would be much appreciated.

Hello. From I hear they are still accepting people. Also, the school is still preforming interviews. Sadly, I thinking the later in the season you interview the longer it takes to hear a reply. I interviewed in early Jan and heard back by Feb. Where as my friend that interviewed on Feb 1st didn't hear back until March 8th. All I can say is that there is still hope for a positive response. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on the matter.

Hey I wanted to ask you about the layout for the first year. Like what courses do you take and when do you have them (MWF?). Also are there any breaks and when does the first year end? Thanks!

The year is broken up into 5 systems. Introductory Medicine from start of school to October, Muscular-Skeletal till late November, Derm during December, Neurology from Jan to late March, and finally Heme/Immune until May 25ish. Anatomy is held from start to December. There are breaks for Thanksgiving (Wed-Sun), two week winter break, 1 week spring break, and Columbus Day. There is not set class schedule, by that I mean, one day can have 8 lectures the other one or none.

interviewed at the end of february, received acceptance letter at the end of march....well it went to an old address so im having a new one sent to my current address.......trying to decide between nycom or touro at the moment...

The year is broken up into 5 systems. Introductory Medicine from start of school to October, Muscular-Skeletal till late November, Derm during December, Neurology from Jan to late March, and finally Heme/Immune until May 25ish. Anatomy is held from start to December. There are breaks for Thanksgiving (Wed-Sun), two week winter break, 1 week spring break, and Columbus Day. There is not set class schedule, by that I mean, one day can have 8 lectures the other one or none.

Awesome, thank you so much. Also do you recommend any textbooks for first years?

interviewed at the end of february, received acceptance letter at the end of march....well it went to an old address so im having a new one sent to my current address.......trying to decide between nycom or touro at the moment...

Go NYCOM brother

Have any of us who interviewed >1 month ago called the office to see what was going on?

Awesome, thank you so much. Also do you recommend any textbooks for first years?
They provide a list of like 22 required and ten recommended. I have quite a few, but hard to read them all with the amount of course material to go over. Really depends on the person. During the summer you will receive a big brother (possible me) or big sister and they can be more specific on the recommendations.

I am obviously bias for NYCOM and here are my main reasons why. Location of school is in Harlem, where NYCOM is in suburbia (rent cheaper, crime lower). They don't have a built up reputation like NYCOM, for they are only a few years old. I know they are not allowed to review tests from OMM after the practical, so you don't know what you missed.

hey guys, i haven't heard from NYCOM all year! I sent my app in september and still nothing. Are interviews still being offered?

hey guys, i haven't heard from NYCOM all year! I sent my app in september and still nothing. Are interviews still being offered?

They "send" silent rejections. When I called about a month ago they said if you do not hear back from us by may assume you were rejected for interview. Sorry

Interviewed 3/20, Waiting List 4/19

Anyone know how the NYCOM waiting list works? Or know how many people have been moved from the list in past years?

Can anyone shed a bit of light on the financial aid situation at this school for me?
Here's my situation: 27 y/o professional who will be married by the time school starts. Was not raised in an economically disadvantaged situation and parents have a comfortable income. However, I've been completely financially independent from my parents for 5 years and they will not be contributing to my medical school tuition (I'll need loans like everyone else). Based on the forms/info that NYCOM sent, it seems that the above doesn't matter and there is no chance I'd be eligible for any aid. Can anyone confirm this? Is it even worth applying for aid?
Thanks!