**NYU c/o 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DentalSkills said:
Are most of you guys dorming?! Seriously, apts are the way to go!!

I would love to live in an apt but I just don't want to go through the hassle of hunting for an apartment while living out of the city. I'm on the other coast right now.

Members don't see this ad.

DentalSkills said:
Are most of you guys dorming?! Seriously, apts are the way to go!!

i paid my deposit for housing, but thats it. I already started looking for an apt. after factoring out a 10 month first school year, the dorms come to around 1500 a month or more, screw that. Coming from los angeles, dorms would be easier, but i'm looking for an apt. 1 bdr to split or a 2 bdr.

I was filling out the loan thingy online and it gives the two lenders to choose from for our stafford subsidized and unsubsidized loans... (i.e. Nellie/sallie mae and citibank)...
which one did/would u guyz choose. i read thru their websites... and i'm not quite sure if there is any major difference... can someone help me out on this...
also I didnt quite understand the loan disbursment thing, they said that we'll get the variable rate if it is disbursed before july 1st and the fixed 6.8 after the date.... what is this about???? i thought we get the loan only in september...

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone please come to my rescue!!! Is there anyone out there looking to share an apt? I just recently started looking for apts on craigslist, but am in need of a potential roommate first. i'm lookin for someone who is clean, relatively quiet, and doesnt mind dogs...b/c im taking my dog to ny! here's some info about me: 24/f/asian. from la. likes to eat and sleep and party (responsibly, of course. haha) my dog is a yellow lab. 3 years old. tame as hell.

lets find an apt together!!! interested? email me: [email protected].
aim: vnluvly56

Congratulation Class 2009. Looking foward to see all of you in August :)

I know this is kind of late to say this but I have been so busy with exams that I couldn't have to time to do anything else beside from study hehehe :) You will see what I mean once you are here :)

I see that a lot of you are applying for housing right now and some might even looking for off campus housing, well, I was in your position and had a hard time looking myself. So if anyone have questions regarding finding a place in NYC, feel free to email me @ [email protected]. I can definitely help you out :)

My roommate and I are looking for a third person to share our beautiful apartment. We live in the apartment building complex called Waterside Plaza. This is located in a safe neighborhood on 25th Street and JFK, which is approximately a 10 minute walk from NYUCD. For your convenience: (1) the M16 bus stops in front of the bulding and can take you straight to Time Square or Penn Station (2) the closest subway is 15 minutes walking distance (3) supermarket located within the plaza (4) elevator (5) 24 hours doorman (6) laundry room in the basement.
We have a spacious master bedroom which includes own bathroom, 2 closet spaces and an AC/heater unit available. The apartement has a nice sized living room and kitchen.

About us: Two Asian girls in 3rd years. We are responsible, neat, considerate, academically focused and fun individuals. We can definitely help you with school works, etc...
Please email us if this suits your interest and needs.

Some Pro & con about on campus housing

Living on campus housing:

Pro: very close to school (one block away) so you can technically wake up and start to go to school at 7:55AM for your class at 8AM. You will meet lots of people in your dorm. You don't have to think about paying bill every month :)

Con: very very very expensive (1700-1800/month) :D At least once a week the alarm went off for testing and that's so annoying (at least for me :) ) You can't really cook anything here cause the kitchen is tiny and smoke detector can went off easily, in that case, everybody has to evacuate the building. That means you have to wake up 2 AM and get your butt out of bed :laugh: Not very pleasant !!!! And of course the most annoying thing for me is that you have to sign in a friend whenever you have friends coming over. There are more to this but then I really don't want to trash the dorm because there are many people who actually like dorm life. :)

Sorry for such a long posting. WIshing you all a great summer break before starting school :)

Blacktulip

punkxgirl said:
Someone please come to my rescue!!! Is there anyone out there looking to share an apt? I just recently started looking for apts on craigslist, but am in need of a potential roommate first. i'm lookin for someone who is clean, relatively quiet, and doesnt mind dogs...b/c im taking my dog to ny! here's some info about me: 24/f/asian. from la. likes to eat and sleep and party (responsibly, of course. haha) my dog is a yellow lab. 3 years old. tame as hell.

lets find an apt together!!! interested? email me: [email protected].
aim: vnluvly56

Oh man, i absolutely hate dogs. You can say it was a bad childhood experience.

blacktulip said:
Congratulation Class 2009. Looking foward to see all of you in August :)

I know this is kind of late to say this but I have been so busy with exams that I couldn't have to time to do anything else beside from study hehehe :) You will see what I mean once you are here :)

I see that a lot of you are applying for housing right now and some might even looking for off campus housing, well, I was in your position and had a hard time looking myself. So if anyone have questions regarding finding a place in NYC, feel free to email me @ [email protected]. I can definitely help you out :)

My roommate and I are looking for a third person to share our beautiful apartment. We live in the apartment building complex called Waterside Plaza. This is located in a safe neighborhood on 25th Street and JFK, which is approximately a 10 minute walk from NYUCD. For your convenience: (1) the M16 bus stops in front of the bulding and can take you straight to Time Square or Penn Station (2) the closest subway is 15 minutes walking distance (3) supermarket located within the plaza (4) elevator (5) 24 hours doorman (6) laundry room in the basement.
We have a spacious master bedroom which includes own bathroom, 2 closet spaces and an AC/heater unit available. The apartement has a nice sized living room and kitchen.

About us: Two Asian girls in 3rd years. We are responsible, neat, considerate, academically focused and fun individuals. We can definitely help you with school works, etc...
Please email us if this suits your interest and needs.

Some Pro & con about on campus housing

Living on campus housing:

Pro: very close to school (one block away) so you can technically wake up and start to go to school at 7:55AM for your class at 8AM. You will meet lots of people in your dorm. You don't have to think about paying bill every month :)

Con: very very very expensive (1700-1800/month) :D At least once a week the alarm went off for testing and that's so annoying (at least for me :) ) You can't really cook anything here cause the kitchen is tiny and smoke detector can went off easily, in that case, everybody has to evacuate the building. That means you have to wake up 2 AM and get your butt out of bed :laugh: Not very pleasant !!!! And of course the most annoying thing for me is that you have to sign in a friend whenever you have friends coming over. There are more to this but then I really don't want to trash the dorm because there are many people who actually like dorm life. :)

Sorry for such a long posting. WIshing you all a great summer break before starting school :)

Blacktulip

Hi. I sent in my deposit and am waiting to see if I can get the dorms. If not then I'm also looking for roommates. I was just wondering but I heard that you don't get your financial aid until early september and most likely I would have to pay deposit and first months rent at the beginning of August for any off campus housing. I just wanted to know how you paid for the deposit and first months rent? Did you have money saved up because I don't have enough to cover such costs. Thanks.

Is anybody in here looking for a roommate? I haven't even began to search for a place to live, but know I can't afford it by myself. If anybody is interested email me at [email protected].

i'm looking for roommates, for sure. I you happen to find a place close to school, please let me know.

In case anyone is still looking to buy a laptop. Pretty nice prices.

Dell

mellowt said:
In case anyone is still looking to buy a laptop. Pretty nice prices.

Dell

Regarding laptops:

Is it just me or are the NYU Computer "deals" a ripoff??? They list the Thinkpad T43 at $1425, while you can get the same computer with more HD space on the ibm website for $1199! Yes, I know the Computer store includes the ext. warranty, but is it really worth the extra money???

Also I was thinking of buying an HP, Toshiba or Acer laptop, do you guys think that I'll run into problems with classroom compatibility if I get one of those???

Galen1 said:
Regarding laptops:

Is it just me or are the NYU Computer "deals" a ripoff??? They list the Thinkpad T43 at $1425, while you can get the same computer with more HD space on the ibm website for $1199! Yes, I know the Computer store includes the ext. warranty, but is it really worth the extra money???

Also I was thinking of buying an HP, Toshiba or Acer laptop, do you guys think that I'll run into problems with classroom compatibility if I get one of those???

um yea NYU prob rips you off with just about everything they can.. we really should start getting used to it....

I have recently purchased this laptop and I love it! It is very light and good for carrying around all day -http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=369

Hey guys, do you think all of us that applied to the DORMS will get them? Because it'll suck if they tell us in late june or early July that we dont get them, making us to have to really scramble and look for an apartment.

Members don't see this ad :)
jlo26 said:
Hey guys, do you think all of us that applied to the DORMS will get them? Because it'll suck if they tell us in late june or early July that we dont get them, making us to have to really scramble and look for an apartment.

You may not necessarily get a room in the dorms by the d-school, but NYU has dorms all over the city, they can actually put u anywhere. Getting an apt does not take too long either

Does our NYU TUITION cover for this gym? I couldnt find it on the website listing that tuition covers these kind of things.

^^I believe so. It was covered in my undergraduate tuition fees and I'm assuming it will be at NYU as well.

jlo26 said:
Does our NYU TUITION cover for this gym? I couldnt find it on the website listing that tuition covers these kind of things.

yes and Coles Gym also. Covers for everything NYU, except undergrad classes you might want to take, which blows, cause I wanted to take some other NYU department classes and then found out I'd have to pay full rate per credit...

QUESTION ABOUT THE DORMS:

They give us a 18,000 loan for the "Room and Board" but in the dorm application it says a shared studio is 9,000-10,000 ?

Whats the deal here?

Hey all,

i've paid my dorm deposit, but will now start looking for a roomate and apt. I'm from LA, very laidback, low key. Anybody looking for a roomate and apt. let me know, so i can finally get things gng.

dentwannabe said:
QUESTION ABOUT THE DORMS:

They give us a 18,000 loan for the "Room and Board" but in the dorm application it says a shared studio is 9,000-10,000 ?

Whats the deal here?

yeah good question... i signed up for a shared studio to save money... why is everyone saying that dorms cost 1700-1800/month? if i get the shared studio.. then it's only about 900-1000/month... =T

eunjoo55 said:
yeah good question... i signed up for a shared studio to save money... why is everyone saying that dorms cost 1700-1800/month? if i get the shared studio.. then it's only about 900-1000/month... =T

isn't the shared studio where you and your roommate both get your own rooms, and then a shared kitchen/washroom? I wasn't sure which 3 all were but yeah the shared studio was the cheapest so I went with that as well.

eunjoo55 said:

thats probably right, about 1,000$...but i can't share a studio. i need my own room. so it ends up being much much more.

preluder said:
isn't the shared studio where you and your roommate both get your own rooms, and then a shared kitchen/washroom? I wasn't sure which 3 all were but yeah the shared studio was the cheapest so I went with that as well.
i'd say a shared studio is more along the lines of a shared dorm room. just with a tiny kitchen.

hey fellow nyu c/o 2010ers:

so do we need to purchase a PDA before school starts, or do we purchase them along with our e-books and supplies when school starts?

So I guess no one knows the 18,000 loan vs. 9,000/yr shared studio mystery??

My assumption is the shared studio option will simply save you money but everyone I talk to says all the students they know live in the 2 br dorms across the street for 1850.

DOES ANYONE KNOW whats with the 9,000/yr (is it only for undergrads?)

Well, in any case, I'll call and ask.

I called up to ask and they said that the shared studio does come up to 9000-10000 / yr.
So lets hope we'll be saving some money there...

dentwannabe said:
So I guess no one knows the 18,000 loan vs. 9,000/yr shared studio mystery??

My assumption is the shared studio option will simply save you money but everyone I talk to says all the students they know live in the 2 br dorms across the street for 1850.

DOES ANYONE KNOW whats with the 9,000/yr (is it only for undergrads?)

Well, in any case, I'll call and ask.

psychobruin said:
I called up to ask and they said that the shared studio does come up to 9000-10000 / yr.
So lets hope we'll be saving some money there...

As important as having my own space/room would be, I think I'll take the shared studio to save 6-7k that year. This translates into more partying and traveling. And deposit and first months rent for D2 off campus apts. :D

mellowt said:
As important as having my own space/room would be, I think I'll take the shared studio to save 6-7k that year. This translates into more partying and traveling. And deposit and first months rent for D2 off campus apts. :D

do any of you know if the shared studio is the 2 single bedrooms with a shared kitchen and washroom? It seems like all the nyu dental students say that their dorms are like that but with the shared studio option, private bedroom shared suite, and single studio I am not sure.

jlo26 said:
do any of you know if the shared studio is the 2 single bedrooms with a shared kitchen and washroom? It seems like all the nyu dental students say that their dorms are like that but with the shared studio option, private bedroom shared suite, and single studio I am not sure.

No the 2 bedroom with a common area is different from the shared studio. The 2 bedroom is around 17k last I checked and the shared studio with one other person is around 10k. If you share a 2 bedroom with 4 other people, you pay around 8k but I don't think thats an option. :D I've also only heard of dental students having the 2 bedroom for 2 people or a studio for 2 people arrangements only.

http://www.nyu.edu/housing/payments/rates.html

Tells you the room set ups for all residential halls and their rates.

Hey guys, I just got a letter from the admissions office describing the final phase of auditing. It says that I still need to send in my official transcripts from UCLA and a "Supplemental Application" to complete my file. I have a couple of questions if any of you would be so kind to answer:

1. What is this Supplemental Application they are talking about? (I wasn't aware that there was one. I'm going to look online, but I just wanted to pose the question here in case I can't find out.)

2. For my fellow UCLA Bruins, do you know if our official UCLA transcripts note degrees earned?

Thanks!

absurdhippo said:
Hey guys, I just got a letter from the admissions office describing the final phase of auditing. It says that I still need to send in my official transcripts from UCLA and a "Supplemental Application" to complete my file. I have a couple of questions if any of you would be so kind to answer:

1. What is this Supplemental Application they are talking about? (I wasn't aware that there was one. I'm going to look online, but I just wanted to pose the question here in case I can't find out.)

2. For my fellow UCLA Bruins, do you know if our official UCLA transcripts note degrees earned?

Thanks!

yeah i'm pretty sure our UCLA transcripts will state what degree we earned

NYU class of 2010:

Post what school you went to undergrad at. I'll start:

Michigan State University

michman25 said:
NYU class of 2010:

Post what school you went to undergrad at. I'll start:

Michigan State University

RUTGERS - STATE UNIVERSITY OF NJ

dentwannabe said:
RUTGERS - STATE UNIVERSITY OF NJ

University of Toronto

Georgia Tech

University of California, Los Angeles

hey ya'll:

I have a question concerning financial aid. I got accepted in Mid-May, so I have been scrambling to get all the paperwork done and loans researched. I still haven't received my award letter yet (I am expecting it to come this week though).

How long did it take you guys for your stafford and private loans paperwork to get filled out and processed completely? And has anyone received their first deposit yet?

Thanks!

Remify, it didn't take too long. I did everything online and I got my stafford award letter in the mail in about a week. Don't worry, its still pretty early to start panicking. Have you taken care of your immunization stuff yet?

xxJuiceDxx said:
Remify, it didn't take too long. I did everything online and I got my stafford award letter in the mail in about a week. Don't worry, its still pretty early to start panicking. Have you taken care of your immunization stuff yet?

hey juice:

thanks for the tip. i'm just one of those people who like to get things done so that i don't need to think about it anymore. haha i am planning hopefully getting everything sorted out this month so that i can completely turn off my brain for the month of july haha.

the immunization stuff is finally over. i can't believe they wanted titer results along with the dates of immunizations. kind of weird.

how is everyone's school preparations coming along?

^^Did you finish your Hep. B immunizations (all 3) or have you had it before? I guess I can get a titer for that after school starts since my third shot does not fall until December or so? And are you living in the dorms? I'm torn as to what I should do. Off-campus or dorms...my gut says dorms, but the adventurous side says off-campus. What to do...

And to the people familiar with New York streets. Do you have any idea how far away 30th St. and 7th is from the dorms? How about 27th St. and between 6th and 7th Ave?

30th and 7th or 27th and 6/7 are both WAY too far to walk to NYUCD, obviously. Think about it this way... I'd say walking across one avenue is like walking 2-3 street blocks. You'd definitely have to do a combination of walking to the bus/subway stop and walking to campus, which will most likely take at least 20-30 minutes...

xxJuiceDxx said:
And to the people familiar with New York streets. Do you have any idea how far away 30th St. and 7th is from the dorms? How about 27th St. and between 6th and 7th Ave?

xxJuiceDxx said:
^^Did you finish your Hep. B immunizations (all 3) or have you had it before? I guess I can get a titer for that after school starts since my third shot does not fall until December or so? And are you living in the dorms? I'm torn as to what I should do. Off-campus or dorms...my gut says dorms, but the adventurous side says off-campus. What to do...

hey. i had all my records for my immunizations, but NYU still insisted that I had all the lab tests done to check for titers for varicella, MMR, and Hep B. I think that is sort of ******ed, but it's what they want, so I had to get it done.

i just got a letter from them yesterday wanting me to pay them a 75 dollar application fee. i swear i mailed that off a long time ago...gotta find my check receipt

I got a letter saying they wanted all my official transcripts and another $75 application fee? What the heck? They've already accepted me, took my $2500 deposit, received my immunization & health records, assigned a student ID #, said when I had to be there for orientation....

...What is up? They cannot possibly need more info. Is this just another way for them to make a little extra $$$?

coreyb said:
I got a letter saying they wanted all my official transcripts and another $75 application fee? What the heck? They've already accepted me, took my $2500 deposit, received my immunization & health records, assigned a student ID #, said when I had to be there for orientation....

...What is up? They cannot possibly need more info. Is this just another way for them to make a little extra $$$?

Have you already paid the $75 application fee? If you already have, they might have just mixed something up. Just call them and see what's up. My letter said I still needed to give them my supplemental app that we did during the interview day, but they actually already had it. Cleared it up over the phone. :thumbup:

NYUCD2010 said:
30th and 7th or 27th and 6/7 are both WAY too far to walk to NYUCD, obviously. Think about it this way... I'd say walking across one avenue is like walking 2-3 street blocks. You'd definitely have to do a combination of walking to the bus/subway stop and walking to campus, which will most likely take at least 20-30 minutes...

Damn, so its far away from the dorms? Both of those locations are actually two gyms I'm looking to attend and was wondering if it would be too far to walk.