General Admissions & OTCAS NYU & Columbia OT 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a little insight into the waiting game from last year... I was waitlisted at NYU and rejected by Columbia. My Columbia portal from last year still says it is incomplete. I did get a few responses from Columbia while trying to verify items, but eventually they stopped responding and I was sent a rejection. NYU keeps you on the waitlist until the end of August, in the event that someone drops out last minute or their deposit doesn't go through. I assume the waitlist is the same amount of students as the ones who were accepted, but I could be wrong. The first wave of students accepted off the waitlist were notified at the end of April. The waitlist is choppy after that, but I kept hearing that it was common for students to be accepted up until the Friday before the semester started.

Thank you so much for the explanation. Do you think it is better to et waitlisted earlier than later. I still have a buddy who has not heard from NYU... when were you waitlisted last year?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for the explanation. Do you think it is better to et waitlisted earlier than later. I still have a buddy who has not heard from NYU... when were you waitlisted last year?

I was notified March 24th of last year and I'm pretty sure everyone else was waitlisted around the same time. But as you have seen from this post, some people are still getting accepted/rejected so your friend shouldn't give up hope. I'm not sure if it is better to be waitlisted earlier than later.

I was notified March 24th of last year and I'm pretty sure everyone else was waitlisted around the same time. But as you have seen from this post, some people are still getting accepted/rejected so your friend shouldn't give up hope. I'm not sure if it is better to be waitlisted earlier than later.
Thank you InternallyCrying

Members don't see this ad :)
I read up somewhere that someone went to the open house and NYU said that around 50 people get put on the waiting list.

Heard back from Columbia yesterday and got accepted. Still waiting to hear back from NYU

Hey! Yes I also got the second email about being on the waitlist.. I was thinking that it may confirm that they received the waitlist response form ?
I also received the second email saying that I was placed on the waitlist but I didn't send in the waitlist response form or transcripts.

Congrats! They emailed you? What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

GPA: 3.6
Prerequisites: 3.6
I am heavily involved on-campus and shadowed in multiple settings so I think that really helped me out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an acceptance to Columbia as well! Does anyone know the tuition cost or program length (including field works)? Also, do they offer merit based scholarships?

I just received an acceptance to Columbia as well! Does anyone know the tuition cost or program length (including field works)? Also, do they offer merit based scholarships?

CONGRATS! It's about 75,000 a year and you can do either a 2 year or 3 year program, depending on how fast you would want to go.

I am pretty sure the program cost is over 105K after tuition and fees. Each credit is 1700

Reactions: 1 user
CONGRATS! It's about 75,000 a year and you can do either a 2 year or 3 year program, depending on how fast you would want to go.

Thank you, congratulations to you as well! That $75,000 factors in rent/other living expenses as well, right? It is very cool you can choose how long you'd like to take to complete it.

I'm trying to determine which of the two (NYU and Columbia) would be cheaper to attend, but it looks to be pretty equal.

I also can't seem to find Columbia's curriculum/course list online, but I feel like it must be there and I'm missing it. :p

Those who got accepted to Columbia- when did you apply and receive your checklist? Also congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Those who got accepted to Columbia- when did you apply and receive your checklist? Also congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I can't recall when I applied (I believe sometime in December), but I never received a checklist and I was accepted today. My portal still reads incomplete, and my transcripts are marked as unreceived.

I can't recall when I applied (I believe sometime in December), but I never received a checklist and I was accepted today. My portal still reads incomplete, and my transcripts are marked as unreceived.
Thanks for sharing! Congrats! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

I got accepted to Columbia earlier today too! My portal still reads incomplete as well but I received the checklist and all requirements were met.

My stats were
University: University of CA, Irvine
Major: Public Health
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
200+ OT hours, 100+ behavioral therapy technician, 200+ medical school internship abroad

Feel free to ask me any questions as well!

Congrats on your acceptance as well! I'm trying to figure out how much Columbia gives in financial aid...do you know anything about it?

Congrats on your acceptance as well! I'm trying to figure out how much Columbia gives in financial aid...do you know anything about it?
Congrats on your acceptences... how did they notify you!?!?

I'm not sure about financial aid, I'm looking for info on that as well.

Also, I'm being a little paranoid here, but I never received a checklist and I'm worried that I'm missing something important or that my acceptance was a mistake, haha. What was on the checklist? Also for those accepted, are you transcripts still marked as not received?

Also, I'm being a little paranoid here, but I never received a checklist and I'm worried that I'm missing something important or that my acceptance was a mistake, haha. What was on the checklist? Also for those accepted, are you transcripts still marked as not received?
How did they notify you!?!?! I'm going crazy

If you find any information, please let me know!

The checklist just showed if all your prereqs were met and documented as completed. My portal shows that my application is incomplete but all my transcripts and letters have been received.

I haven't heard from NYU either. When I emailed them, they said they started sending out letters and the process will continue till mid March.

I haven't heard from NYU either. When I emailed them, they said they started sending out letters and the process will continue till mid March.

Do acceptance/ waiting list letters send via email and rejection by mail? Or what is the deal do you know?

I have no idea. I didn't want to bother them too much with questions and get on their nerve lol.

I have no idea. I didn't want to bother them too much with questions and get on their nerve lol.
Haha...I hear you ! lets hope we all get something soon

Hello! When did you send in your application? They only finalized my application a couple of days ago.
I sent my application on the 4th I believe, the day right before the application was due

Not sure if Columbia sends out their decisions in waves, but I was given the deadline of 3/19 to notify them with my decision!

I sent my application on the 4th I believe, the day right before the application was due
Thank you so much for telling me! I applied like 20 mintues before it was due ahahaha. So hopefully I hear soon!

I was waitlisted this morning! Hoping to be admitted haha... Does anyone know when they start picking from the waitlist?

I was waitlisted this morning! Hoping to be admitted haha... Does anyone know when they start picking from the waitlist?
Congrats! From Columbia??? and the people who have been accepted already have to respond by 3/19 so hopefully after that!

Congrats! From Columbia??? and the people who have been accepted already have to respond by 3/19 so hopefully after that!
Not for Columbia, sorry, for NYU! Thanks, are you waitlisted as well? I'm happy but also disappointed because of the realization that I might not get called. NYU admitted students have to reply by 3/19 or Columbia students do?

Not for Columbia, sorry, for NYU! Thanks, are you waitlisted as well? I'm happy but also disappointed because of the realization that I might not get called. NYU admitted students have to reply by 3/19 or Columbia students do?

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Do you mind sharing your stats?
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Prereq GPA: haven't calculated exactly, but on the checklist I had all A's and 1 B+
About 100 hours observation in many settings (early intervention, pediatrics, acute inpatient, neurology, mental health, hand therapy, therapeutic riding, etc)
Involvement: Officer of a club relating to my major on campus, volunteering with special needs sports teams, a diversity peer educator at my school, orientation leader

I was waist listed by NYU as well... it's not great but it's not the worst either. I have heard that a lot of people get in off of the waitlist to be optimistic about it! and Columbia students have to respond by that time.