General Admissions & OTCAS NYU & Columbia OT 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congratulations! I was waitlisted at both Columbia and NYU so knowing they're pulling from the waitlist already gives me some hope!

And thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat as you. I spent my easter yesterday with my family looking at my credentials and discussing my rejection. My family could not even fathom on the reasoning behind it. I even have a Masters Degree in Epidemiology with a 3.9 GPA. I just can't make sense of how I did not even make it on the waitlist. My undergrad GPA was a 3.2 but my Pre-req was a 3.8 and I have 250 observation hours. I really can't make sense of this at all. I don't even know where to improve upon.

After seeing others' credentials, it really doesn't have much rhyme or reason to it. I was accepted to Columbia and my GPA isn't as good as yours and I did not have 250 observation hours. The only thing I can think that set certain candidates apart is their life experiences and OT related experiences. That's the only thing that my application could possibly have had compared to yours. I'll give you an idea of what was on my application in case that can help you pin point maybe where yours could improve. I don't want to post this to discourage you, but rather to help you. I was waitlisted and rejected from other schools as well so I know the feeling and know that any additional information can possibly help.

Psychology Major
Gerontology Minor
GPA: 3.56
References:
  • 1 from camp coordinator
  • 1 from professor
  • 1 from occupational therapist
Observation hours: 90
  • hippo therapy
  • pediatrics
  • hand therapy
OT/ other life experiences:
  • Horseback staff/ summer program staff at Camp Twin Lakes (camp for children with special needs) -experience working with children with various disabilities ranging from spina bifida, to type I diabetes, to muscular dystrophy, to cancer and autism.
  • ABA line therapist for child with autism
  • Middle and high school youth minister in church
  • Medical mission trip to Africa
  • Mission trip to Nicaragua to build water systems to provide clean water for communities
  • Nanny for child with autism
  • Camp Sunshine volunteer (camp for children with cancer)
  • Special Olympics volunteer
  • Church volunteer for over 5 years
Extracurriculars:
  • historian of my sorority
  • research experience with biofeedback and audio stimulation
  • research experience in social psychology

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help and good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got into NYU off of the waitlist yesterday

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to anyone accepted to Columbia! I'm a first year student there now and love it. Really great program and the faculty are outstanding. We have about 53 people in our class vs NYU has over 100 I believe so we get a lot of individual time with our professors. We do spend our first year focusing on mental health, but it is very applicable no matter what field you want to go in to!

I was wait listed originally and was accepted early May, so don't lose faith! I sent in a letter after I was wait listed to Dr. Faulk-Kessler stating why I wanted to go to Columbia and that I would accept if offered a position. I cannot say whether or not this helped me get accepted but I believe it did. I can't wait to meet all of the new OT students! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Congratulations!! are you going?
I am not really sure now. I have been blessed to have the option of either NYU or Columbia and I have originally stated that I wanted to go to Columbia, but NYU was always my number one because of the curriculum. However, I want to explore all aspects of the program/institution before I make my final decision. I would have a better idea after I go to both information sessions for accepted students.

I am not really sure now. I have been blessed to have the option of either NYU or Columbia and I have originally stated that I wanted to go to Columbia, but NYU was always my number one because of the curriculum. However, I want to explore all aspects of the program/institution before I make my final decision. I would have a better idea after I go to both information sessions for accepted students.

I'm doing the same, I'm attending NYU's new student reception to decide between that school and another cheaper school that's further away from me. Basically, will only have 2 days after that info session to submit my deposit and let them know lol

I was accepted to Columbia and waitlisted at NYU. I truly don't know what to do because I have ZERO idea as to how I can actually pay for this!

I was accepted to Columbia and waitlisted at NYU. I truly don't know what to do because I have ZERO idea as to how I can actually pay for this!

When you find out, let me know! Whether its Columbia or NYU - both are expensive

When you find out, let me know! Whether its Columbia or NYU - both are expensive
Columbia looks to be about $20,000 cheaper though, which has been a big deciding factor for me.

Columbia looks to be about $20,000 cheaper though, which has been a big deciding factor for me.

Did you find out what the actual cost over the 2 years would be? Whenever I inquire about this, I get a wishy-washy answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia peeps- has anyone received their CU ID yet?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm doing the same, I'm attending NYU's new student reception to decide between that school and another cheaper school that's further away from me. Basically, will only have 2 days after that info session to submit my deposit and let them know lol
Two days for your other school or NYU? NYU gives you 3 weeks after you received the email about your acceptance.

By the way, my friend was wait listed by NYU two weeks ago and received a rejection letter from the wait list on Sunday. I found that extremely odd.

Once we receive our IDs we'll be able to log onto our NetPortal to view financial aid info so I'm assuming they're waiting until that's in order before they tell us

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

By the way, my friend was wait listed by NYU two weeks ago and received a rejection letter from the wait list on Sunday. I found that extremely odd.
Sorry to hear about your friend. That is really strange, especially if it was received on a Sunday. I'm assuming it was an email from Joy?

How was the open house yesterday? Anything new and informative?

I didn't know it was possible to be rejected from the wait list when there's still potential spots, that seems odd

Did not go to the open house but I am going to the meeting on Tuesday for accepted students. And that is what I thought @AK221

Is anyone going to attend the meeting for accepted students at Columbia on the 16th? Trying to decide if I'll be able to make it or not!

Is anyone going to attend the meeting for accepted students at Columbia on the 16th? Trying to decide if I'll be able to make it or not!
Hi! You should post that in the columbia facebook group :) i know someone in the fb group that is going!

My friend and I will be attending the meeting on the 16th!

Did not go to the open house but I am going to the meeting on Tuesday for accepted students. And that is what I thought @AK221
How was the meeting? Was there a large turnout? Any information about whether or not they were still pulling from the waitlist? Any info would be great!

Has anyone on the waitlist at NYU or Columbia heard from them recently/ are they still pulling names?

Has anyone on the waitlist at NYU or Columbia heard from them recently/ are they still pulling names?

I got in off the NYU waitlist since a month back, and only actually waited 1 week since the notice to find out that I got in. I think they may be pulling off the list still depending on the responses from the remaining accepted students who decides not to attend. Good luck!

Congrats to all! In regards to tuition though both are very expensive, a grad from the Columbia program told me That NYU charges full tuition for the semester of fieldwork and Columbia doesn't because there are no classes. Maybe that will help people make a decision?

As for me, I will be going to downstate. I was straight up rejected from NYU which I also found so strange based on my credentials. It's ok because downstate was my top choice anyway but just kinda weird. Anyway good luck to you all. Maybe we'll meet in fieldwork!

Hello! I wish I had found this forum earlier, it seems like there is a lot of really useful information going around...I was wondering if anyone on here was waitlisted at NYU and has heard anything back recently?? I was waitlisted initially at the end of February, and just received a 2nd Wait List Response Form on April 28. Has anyone gotten in off the waitlist recently? Been rejected off the waitlist recently? Taken themselves off the waitlist? Accepted an offer off the waitlist? Or received this 2nd form?? etc..Any info would be great!! Thanks!

Hello! I wish I had found this forum earlier, it seems like there is a lot of really useful information going around...I was wondering if anyone on here was waitlisted at NYU and has heard anything back recently?? I was waitlisted initially at the end of February, and just received a 2nd Wait List Response Form on April 28. Has anyone gotten in off the waitlist recently? Been rejected off the waitlist recently? Taken themselves off the waitlist? Accepted an offer off the waitlist? Or received this 2nd form?? etc..Any info would be great!! Thanks!
I also got waitlisted at NYU and received the second wait list response form on April 28th. I sent it back to them already (choosing to remain on the waitlist). I'm hoping this means they've been reaching out to people and are finding that a lot of people already committed elsewhere and we will start hearing back soon once they receive all the re-commitmants (which are due May 13th so most likely won't hear back before then).

Hey everyone I have a quick question. I am applying to NYU this coming fall and I took an online Abnormal Psychology course. Do they accept that? On their website it saids they only accept Psychology, Soc, and Anthro. I do not know if Abnormal falls underneath that.
Thanks!

Hey everyone I have a quick question. I am applying to NYU this coming fall and I took an online Abnormal Psychology course. Do they accept that? On their website it saids they only accept Psychology, Soc, and Anthro. I do not know if Abnormal falls underneath that.
Thanks!

Honestly not sure about the online courses, I would call the OT department at NYU and ask someone there directly to confirm.

Has anyone been taken off from Columbia's wait list? I am getting a little nervous :(

Has anyone been taken off from Columbia's wait list? I am getting a little nervous :(
I'm on the waitlist too and have been wondering the same. However, I did hear that most schools take people off the waitlist in June and July so don't give up hope yet!

I am on the waitlist as well and haven't heard anything. Though the later did say that most decision will be given during the summer...

I received an acceptance letter today after being wait listed!!! I am so happy to receive this acceptance from such a prestigious university; however, I will not be attending due to cost and location. I'm from Southern Cali. I have until April 15th to reserve a seat. I will be sending in my decline soon. Hopefully, my seat will help someone else :)

gpa: 3.4 prereq gpa: 3.8 over 100 hours volunteering and about 1000 hours if they count paid experiencce
I spoke to an admissions person at Columbia about how they consider experience and she told me they don't care as much about paid/unpaid or number of hours, they look more holistically at the applicant's overall experience
Would you mind sharing how you listed your hours? Both on your application and resume? I will have over 800 hours of paid OT experience with ASD kids and far fewer volunteer hours in other areas.

Hi Everyone,
I was recently accepted into NYU's OT program. I am trying to compare the tuition cost between NYU and Columbia since I am still waiting on a decision for Columbia. Does anyone have any insight?

Hi Everyone,
I was recently accepted into NYU's OT program. I am trying to compare the tuition cost between NYU and Columbia since I am still waiting on a decision for Columbia. Does anyone have any insight?
I didn't apply to Columbia, but I also got into NYU. I've heard that Columbia is a bit cheaper.

I didn't apply to Columbia, but I also got into NYU. I've heard that Columbia is a bit cheaper.
I've heard the other way around but haven't been able to find any information so I thought I'd post on here

Anyone who was waitlisted at nyu did you try to contact them through email, letter, or phone to express your interest in the program or just wait patiently to be accepted. I've been waitlisted and nyu is my top choice I'm wondering what I can do/if I can do anything to help myself get accepted

@OTguy94 I had the exact same concern but not to worry, Columbia does prepare you for working throughout the lifespan! In addition to the mental health and physical disabilities fieldwork experiences, you have the option to complete a "specialty" fieldwork experience in pediatrics, hand therapy, or whatever interests you. I personally plan to complete the pediatrics one unless my plans change once I begin grad school which is a definite possibility. I think there is a slight focus on mental health in the curriculum but that it still prepares you to deal with all types of OT because you'll be more sensitive to what's going on in the client's mind. I think that even if I get in off of NYU's waitlist I would still choose Columbia.. the way students talked about their relationships with faculty is what really stood out to me, it seemed like a really inspirational environment filled with passionate people.
Also you can find their curriculum along with class descriptions if you click on "Program's Bulletin" on their website or click this link:
http://columbiaot.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Bulletin15-16.pdf
Hope this helps!
Did you end up going to Columbia? I am trying to compare their OT program with NYU's. How is your overall experience with the school?

hello, did anyone receive financial aid for Columba? If so, how much? Also any insight on the program?

Anyone who was waitlisted at nyu did you try to contact them through email, letter, or phone to express your interest in the program or just wait patiently to be accepted. I've been waitlisted and nyu is my top choice I'm wondering what I can do/if I can do anything to help myself get accepted
I'm in the same boat. I've been waitlisted and I'm not sure if I should email them stressing how much I want to go there.

For anyone who is currently in the nyu ot program, which professors would you recommend to take for foundations of OT lab and Activity Group Process.

Idk if this helps but a girl I worked with last year was on NYU's waitlist and said they told her she should focus on getting more volunteer/observation hours- which she did and she got in. I don't think she found out until June/July if I remember correctly.

GOT INTO COLUMBIA TODAY!!!!

Hi,
Do you mind telling your Stats? Also, I'm applying for the 2018 cycle and was wondering how much time you spent on Columbia's essays.

Thanks so much!

I can't recall when I applied (I believe sometime in December), but I never received a checklist and I was accepted today. My portal still reads incomplete, and my transcripts are marked as unreceived.

Hi,

Im applying for the 2018 cycle and just received a pre-req checklist, Jessica put on the checklist that I need to send a syllabus for English composition and developmental psych. I sent her the syllabi and CPR certification, clarifying the incomplete areas. I just havent received an email back, so I'm getting a little nervous. I just don't want them to reject me for a misunderstanding. Anyone have this problem? I applied october 19th and the deadline is December 1st and Janurary 1st for transcripts.