Obamacare Supreme Court Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You probably want to get into the habit of calling it the Affordable Care Act now so that you don't slip up in an interview.
6m.jpg
I called it obamacare repeatedly in interviews. Got into 2-5 schools including a top 20. Don't worry about it. 80% won't care either way, 10% will be happy you called it obamacare (radical republicans) and 10% will be angry you called it that (radical dems). If you call it ACA same percents, but reversed imo.

It really just doesn't matter. If a school was going to reject you over using the same diction that CNN/washington post/NY times employs they're probably not worth attending anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

I called it obamacare repeatedly in interviews. Got into 2-5 schools including a top 20. Don't worry about it. 80% won't care either way, 10% will be happy you called it obamacare (radical republicans) and 10% will be angry you called it that (radical dems). If you call it ACA same percents, but reversed imo.

It really just doesn't matter. If a school was going to reject you over using the same diction that CNN/washington post/NY times employs they're probably not worth attending anyway.

Given that the people interviewing you are going to be (1) academic physicians (2) at urban schools, you're going to see a lot more of the latter than the former.

Given that the people interviewing you are going to be (1) academic physicians (2) at urban schools, you're going to see a lot more of the latter than the former.
Point is it seemed to have minimal bearing as I was accepted into rural red state schools as well as bleeding heart liberal ones.

Physicians on the whole are conservative, not exactly a secret.

If I honestly was rejected for saying obamacare (or ACA I used both fairly interchangeably) I can honestly say I wouldn't want to go there. They are doing a poor job of vetting their interviewers and I wouldn't want to be a part of that institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, how common is it to be asked about these health care laws in interviews? I personally dislike politics quite a bit, but have been brushing up on the medically focused politics because I know it is important to my future.

Could've fooled me with the 50 repeal votes and refusal to pass anything else...

But certainly there are other issues: the attack on "Christian" traditional values, Fox News haters, as well as attempts to remove symbols of racist past.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Please don't throw around the infant mortality rate and other health related metrics and use them to show how we're so backwards and inefficient.

If you research the numbers behind infant mortality you'll see that many other countries aren't as strict in their definitions of "live births" as we are, aren't as careful in their record keeping as we are, etc. etc. ALSO, we've decreased infant mortality (in 1st world countries) to an incredibly low level compared to where it was before. We're not even talking a huge difference between countries at this point. Although every child that dies is a horrible tragedy, we're at approximately 6 deaths per 1000 live births, and the number one country is around 2 deaths per 1000 live births.

Considering all the issues with the reporting and definitions and other populations and etc. that skew the numbers, a difference of 4 deaths per 1000 isn't a reason to tout the superiority of any country over the US.

Ignoring that we lag in various metrics besides infant mortality, 2 vs 6 per 1000 live births is not a small number. The difference is more than twice the rate of the #1 country, that is a 3-fold increase. That is huge. With 3.93 million live births in the US per year, that's 7,860 deaths vs 23,580 deaths. Casually chalking this up to differences in definitions is sloppy and not a compelling reason to ignore the large disparity in performance. If you are going to make such a large claim, provide actual evidence that the difference can be explained by record keeping, etc.

Reactions: 4 users

Wat. really? I've been just calling it Affordable Care Act since that's its official name....... Does how you refer to it actually have a bearing on your chance of admittance? :ninja:

Wat. really? I've been just calling it Affordable Care Act since that's its official name....... Does how you refer to it actually have a bearing on your chance of admittance? :ninja:
I don't think it has a huge effect on your chance of admission. I doubt anybody is getting rejected because of what they call it. Regardless, I still believe that it's best to call it the Affordable Care Act because, as you've said, that is its real name. I don't think this is so much an issue of guessing at the political affiliation of the interviewer as an issue of formality. I think it is best to avoid slang terms in interviews, and I view Obamacare as being a slang term. I think it is best to call it the Affordable Care Act for the same reason that I believe that any person talking about medical marijuana use should not say "weed" in an interview. It doesn't necessarily imply anything good or bad about medical marijuana use, but it is a slang term, and it is best not to use slang terms. Either way, though, it probably isn't going to get you accepted or rejected. It's not that big of a deal. I just feel like it's safer to go with the official name, but that's just my two cents.

Agree with the above poster -- call it what it is, but really it doesn't matter all that much, people will know what you're talking about.

I for one am happy with the supreme court decision, it would have been a disaster for people in so many states to lose the subsidies that they depend on to make insurance affordable.

Sounding like a reasonable, informed individual is what matters. If you call it "Obamacare" and then start saying stuff like "death panels" etc in the same sentence, it will not reflect highly on you among certain individuals. On the other hand, if you call it "Affordable Care Act" and say something about "greedy Republicans", it will not reflect highly on you among certain individuals. Using either term (Obamacare or ACA) alone is commonplace enough at this point that no one is going to leap to any conclusions you don't give them sufficient information to leap to. This doesn't mean you have to constantly equivocate, just be reasonable. It's a shame that people can't translate this into discourse outside of the interview setting where they have something to gain.

Ignoring that we lag in various metrics besides infant mortality, 2 vs 6 per 1000 live births is not a small number. The difference is more than twice the size of the #1 country, that is a 3-fold increase. That is huge. With 3.93 million live births in the US per year, that's 7,860 deaths vs 23,580 deaths. Casually chalking this up to differences in definitions is sloppy and not a compelling reason to ignore the large disparity in performance. If you are going to make such a large claim, provide actual evidence that the difference can be explained by record keeping, etc.
I was trying not to go into too much detail in this thread as it's about obamacare, but being as @Narmerguy asked ... Okay :)

I apologize in advance for the HUGE amount of text I know I'm going to type.

You're right, the primary explanation for the disparity in IMR between the US and other developed countries cannot be explained solely by lax record keeping in other countries vs. the US, and by stricter definitions in the US as to what constitutes a live birth vs. in other countries. Although these are an important part of the explanation, it's difficult to quantify exactly how much variation those factors contribute. Also, when studies were done trying to account for as many of those differences as possible, the US's ranking was still lower than we would have expected. We did better than when we weren't controlling for those variables, but not "good enough."

So, assuming we aren't completely inept, why is the US's IMR ranking low (relatively speaking)? The first thing we need to understand is that IMR is fundamentally different than it was in the past. Throughout most of history, the leading causes of infant mortality were respiratory infections, gastrointestinal infections, and untreatable diseases (like measles). Those factors were compounded by unsanitary living conditions and a lack of proper nutrition. Common sense tells us these were not infant specific problems, but fundamental weaknesses in the structure of society. That was precisely what made the IMR such a good indicator of a nation’s general state of health: infants, being far more susceptible to health hazards than adults, would strongly reflect the health of the entire population. This is why you hear the US's (relatively) low IMR ranking thrown around as a criticism of our country.

Since the beginning of the 20th century, however, society has advanced at an incredible pace. The development of antibiotics, vaccines, fluid and electrolyte replacement therapy, etc., coupled with multiple environmental interventions (access to safe drinking water and proper nutrition, improved sewage and refuse disposal, etc.), have practically eliminated the foremost causes of infant mortality mentioned above. Unsurprisingly, infant mortality rates around the world plummeted to unparalleled lows. America’s IMR dropped approximately 93%, from 100 deaths per thousand live births in 1900, to 6.89 in 2000!

Like I said, IMR is now an intrinsically different problem than it was in the past. Babies are no longer dying en masse from preventable causes that also affect the general population, rather, the overwhelming majority of infant deaths in the developed world are due to infant specific problems like congenital abnormalities, disorders related to short gestation and low birthweight, SIDS, maternal complications, and cord complications.

The two leading causes of infant mortality in developed countries today are congenital abnormalities and disorders related to short gestation and low birthweight. Out of those two, #1 is congenital abnormalities, however, the prevalence of birth defects in the top twenty countries are all within ten points of each other, and deaths from congenital abnormalities have actually decreased in the United States in recent years. This effectively eliminates congenital abnormalities as the primary explanation for the disparities in IMR between the US and other countries.

The second leading cause of infant death is disorders related to short gestation and low birthweight, and it is here that the primary difference between America and other developed countries becomes obvious. Unlike congenital abnormalities, preterm births in the United States have risen 36% since 1984. The preterm birth rate in the United States is now 65% higher than England’s, nearly double Sweden’s, and more than double Ireland’s, Finland’s, and Greece’s (all of whom are ranked higher than the US on the IMR chart).

Since there are more preterm births in America, there are more high risk babies, and thus more infant deaths.

The question then becomes: Why does the United States have such a high percentage of preterm births? Unfortunately, there is no one simple answer. There are multiple known risk factors that contribute to preterm births, and the United States leads in many of them. For example, America ranks number one in obesity rates and number one in teen pregnancies, both definite risk factors for preterm births.

Not all risk factors are due to unsafe lifestyle choices though. Assisted Reproduction Technology has helped many older women and couples who otherwise could not have children to conceive, yet the instances of triplets and higher order births in the United states have quadrupled since it was introduced in 1980. These pregnancies have a much higher risk for preterm and low birthweight delivery, and are known to be one of the major contributing factors to America’s high preterm birth rate.

Another, slightly controversial, contributing factor to the higher percentage of preterm births in America is the prevalence of racial and ethnic minorities. While many of the countries that rank higher on the IMR chart are largely homogeneous, America is arguably the most diverse nation in the world, with immigrants from multiple countries contributing to its makeup and culture. This is a praiseworthy accomplishment, but it is an undisputed truth that certain minorities have higher infant mortality and preterm birth rates.

Some people dismiss these differences in outcomes as purely a socioeconomic issue. They claim it is because these minorities are usually poorer and less educated than other racial/ethnic groups. Sadly, it is not that simple. Researchers studying the global picture of infant mortality have determined that in high income countries like the United States, there was no significant correlation between socioeconomic factors and IMR. Unfortunately, many of the differences in outcomes between races and ethnicities simply cannot be currently explained.

These are only a few of the risk factors for preterm and low birthweight births plaguing American mothers and babies. Many of these risk factors are not present, or are significantly lower in other countries, and that contributes to their lower IMR. It is not that the United States is doing a bad job of protecting its most vulnerable citizens, it is just that the United States has to deal with a considerably larger number of high risk infants than other countries do.

In actual fact, there might not be anything further America can do to meaningfully lower its IMR. Due to all of the inherent risk factors among the population, some experts think the United States might be approaching an “irreducible minimum” in our infant mortality numbers.

Obviously this is an incredibly complex and complicated topic. I just don't like when people casually throw the numbers around and criticize the US / its medical system / everything. Of course we're not perfect, but let's focus on the legitimate complaints rather than the easy but inaccurate "soundbites."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just out of curiosity, how common is it to be asked about these health care laws in interviews? I personally dislike politics quite a bit, but have been brushing up on the medically focused politics because I know it is important to my future.

I'm curious about this as well...any insight appreciated :)

To the OP.... just call it the Affordable Care Act. Using the "correct" terminology should spare you any doubt. Keep it P.C. Can't go wrong with calling something by it's name..right?

Sounding like a reasonable, informed individual is what matters. If you call it "Obamacare" and then start saying stuff like "death panels" etc in the same sentence, it will not reflect highly on you among certain individuals. On the other hand, if you call it "Affordable Care Act" and say something about "greedy Republicans", it will not reflect highly on you among certain individuals. Using either term (Obamacare or ACA) alone is commonplace enough at this point that no one is going to leap to any conclusions you don't give them sufficient information to leap to. This doesn't mean you have to constantly equivocate, just be reasonable. It's a shame that people can't translate this into discourse outside of the interview setting where they have something to gain.

+1. My experience with it was that I was told by a friend working in policy to call it the "Affordable Care Act" because it sounds more professional and "Obamacare" sounds disrespectful towards the President.

But outside of the interview environment, you're free to call it whatever you want.

I'm curious about this as well...any insight appreciated :)
I've heard from many friends that have applied in recent cycles that it is a pretty common question. Since the Affordable Care Act will have a large impact on healthcare in the coming years, I think they ask the question to be sure that you are reasonably informed about all aspects of the healthcare world, not just the diagnosis and treatment part. A lot of people say a lot of things, both positive and negative, about the Affordable Care Act that are not at all grounded in facts. They are just things made up from extremists on either side to further their respective agendas that are not at all accurate about the ACA. I think they want to make sure that applicants are educating themselves about what the healthcare world is going to look like when they're practicing. If an applicant were to answer an ACA question with completely false claims (either in support of or against the ACA), I think they would be extremely wary of that applicant and his/her efforts to develop a mature understanding of healthcare in the United States.

I was never asked a direct question on the ACA. I did find reasons to touch upon it in MMI prompts, though.

Was this in reference to my post? I really didn't think I was saying anything all that controversial. I'm not saying people shouldn't have an opinion either way on the ACA, I'm just saying that people should try not to sound like nut jobs. For example, don't compare any elected official in the United States to Hitler. My whole point in my post was not to be controversial, it was actually to kind of reassure people. I was trying to communicate that I don't think interviewers ask the question to determine what your opinion on the ACA is and judge it, I think they are just trying to make sure that whatever you think is based on something close to reality and not just crazy political extremism.

I was trying not to go into too much detail in this thread as it's about obamacare, but being as @Narmerguy asked ... Okay :)

I apologize in advance for the HUGE amount of text I know I'm going to type.

You're right, the primary explanation for the disparity in IMR between the US and other developed countries cannot be explained solely by lax record keeping in other countries vs. the US, and by stricter definitions in the US as to what constitutes a live birth vs. in other countries. Although these are an important part of the explanation, it's difficult to quantify exactly how much variation those factors contribute. Also, when studies were done trying to account for as many of those differences as possible, the US's ranking was still lower than we would have expected. We did better than when we weren't controlling for those variables, but not "good enough."

So, assuming we aren't completely inept, why is the US's IMR ranking low (relatively speaking)? The first thing we need to understand is that IMR is fundamentally different than it was in the past. Throughout most of history, the leading causes of infant mortality were respiratory infections, gastrointestinal infections, and untreatable diseases (like measles). Those factors were compounded by unsanitary living conditions and a lack of proper nutrition. Common sense tells us these were not infant specific problems, but fundamental weaknesses in the structure of society. That was precisely what made the IMR such a good indicator of a nation’s general state of health: infants, being far more susceptible to health hazards than adults, would strongly reflect the health of the entire population. This is why you hear the US's (relatively) low IMR ranking thrown around as a criticism of our country.

Since the beginning of the 20th century, however, society has advanced at an incredible pace. The development of antibiotics, vaccines, fluid and electrolyte replacement therapy, etc., coupled with multiple environmental interventions (access to safe drinking water and proper nutrition, improved sewage and refuse disposal, etc.), have practically eliminated the foremost causes of infant mortality mentioned above. Unsurprisingly, infant mortality rates around the world plummeted to unparalleled lows. America’s IMR dropped approximately 93%, from 100 deaths per thousand live births in 1900, to 6.89 in 2000!

Like I said, IMR is now an intrinsically different problem than it was in the past. Babies are no longer dying en masse from preventable causes that also affect the general population, rather, the overwhelming majority of infant deaths in the developed world are due to infant specific problems like congenital abnormalities, disorders related to short gestation and low birthweight, SIDS, maternal complications, and cord complications.

The two leading causes of infant mortality in developed countries today are congenital abnormalities and disorders related to short gestation and low birthweight. Out of those two, #1 is congenital abnormalities, however, the prevalence of birth defects in the top twenty countries are all within ten points of each other, and deaths from congenital abnormalities have actually decreased in the United States in recent years. This effectively eliminates congenital abnormalities as the primary explanation for the disparities in IMR between the US and other countries.

The second leading cause of infant death is disorders related to short gestation and low birthweight, and it is here that the primary difference between America and other developed countries becomes obvious. Unlike congenital abnormalities, preterm births in the United States have risen 36% since 1984. The preterm birth rate in the United States is now 65% higher than England’s, nearly double Sweden’s, and more than double Ireland’s, Finland’s, and Greece’s (all of whom are ranked higher than the US on the IMR chart).

Since there are more preterm births in America, there are more high risk babies, and thus more infant deaths.

The question then becomes: Why does the United States have such a high percentage of preterm births? Unfortunately, there is no one simple answer. There are multiple known risk factors that contribute to preterm births, and the United States leads in many of them. For example, America ranks number one in obesity rates and number one in teen pregnancies, both definite risk factors for preterm births.

Not all risk factors are due to unsafe lifestyle choices though. Assisted Reproduction Technology has helped many older women and couples who otherwise could not have children to conceive, yet the instances of triplets and higher order births in the United states have quadrupled since it was introduced in 1980. These pregnancies have a much higher risk for preterm and low birthweight delivery, and are known to be one of the major contributing factors to America’s high preterm birth rate.

Another, slightly controversial, contributing factor to the higher percentage of preterm births in America is the prevalence of racial and ethnic minorities. While many of the countries that rank higher on the IMR chart are largely homogeneous, America is arguably the most diverse nation in the world, with immigrants from multiple countries contributing to its makeup and culture. This is a praiseworthy accomplishment, but it is an undisputed truth that certain minorities have higher infant mortality and preterm birth rates.

Some people dismiss these differences in outcomes as purely a socioeconomic issue. They claim it is because these minorities are usually poorer and less educated than other racial/ethnic groups. Sadly, it is not that simple. Researchers studying the global picture of infant mortality have determined that in high income countries like the United States, there was no significant correlation between socioeconomic factors and IMR. Unfortunately, many of the differences in outcomes between races and ethnicities simply cannot be currently explained.

These are only a few of the risk factors for preterm and low birthweight births plaguing American mothers and babies. Many of these risk factors are not present, or are significantly lower in other countries, and that contributes to their lower IMR. It is not that the United States is doing a bad job of protecting its most vulnerable citizens, it is just that the United States has to deal with a considerably larger number of high risk infants than other countries do.

In actual fact, there might not be anything further America can do to meaningfully lower its IMR. Due to all of the inherent risk factors among the population, some experts think the United States might be approaching an “irreducible minimum” in our infant mortality numbers.

Obviously this is an incredibly complex and complicated topic. I just don't like when people casually throw the numbers around and criticize the US / its medical system / everything. Of course we're not perfect, but let's focus on the legitimate complaints rather than the easy but inaccurate "soundbites."

Many thanks for this, I learned a lot from it and I can better understand the stance you took in your earlier post. One thing I would note is that even if infant mortality no longer reflects (for us) what it once did in the 1900s, it does not remove its usefulness as a piece of information about our healthcare system. What may be required is a more explicit statement of what exactly a good healthcare system "ought" to do. For example, how accountable should our healthcare system be to its ability to effectively administer preventative medicine which might reduce obesity and thus the birth complications? How should a healthcare system leverage scarce resources when one knows a priori that certain groups (perhaps in this case on the basis of race) will present greater complexity and risk for complications? These are important questions that have relevance because of their manifestations in infant mortality, but which can be altered depending on the scope and effectiveness of the healthcare system. Thanks for sharing that history and perspective, I think it should contribute to thinking of how we should continue to hold our healthcare system accountable and interpret metrics in ways which continue to have relevance.

Reactions: 1 user
Was this in reference to my post? I really didn't think I was saying anything all that controversial. I'm not saying people shouldn't have an opinion either way on the ACA, I'm just saying that people should try not to sound like nut jobs. For example, don't compare any elected official in the United States to Hitler. My whole point in my post was not to be controversial, it was actually to kind of reassure people. I was trying to communicate that I don't think interviewers ask the question to determine what your opinion on the ACA is and judge it, I think they are just trying to make sure that whatever you think is based on something close to reality and not just crazy political extremism.

I totally agree with you. It's just there aree a lot of radicalized talking points in here throwing wind at other radicalized talking points and I find, instead of getting hot and bothered by it, it's more entertaining to just sit back and watch. That was the point of my post, not anything aimed towards you.

Reactions: 1 users
It's also probably a good idea to not come across as overly naive. Some of my colleagues I kid you not say "the government should pay for it" without seemingly connecting the dots that we are paying for it. Either through cuts to other programs or higher taxes.

As long as you acknowledge the cons while reiterating your strong desire for the pros you'll come across well.

What they're looking for is:

"Is this person reasonably informed about healthcare in the US?"
and
"Does this person understand multiple perspectives without dismissing them."

The latter is something very few people do. Most of politics are just a difference in value systems.