*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:thumbup: to pharmer1982

Just reiterating: If you're applying to a school with rolling admissions, the earlier you can have your application done, the better. Try to balance submission date with quality of application. If you can't honestly tell yourself what's going to improve on your application by waiting, it's probably time to submit.

Members don't see this ad.

Grr, I'm irritated. I feel extremely awkward re-asking my references for new ones, they most likely deleted their old ones. It is also admitted I failed to get in last year?

I read pharmcas would not delete anything like this if you applied to at least one school and paid them. All my other information is there, but not the personal essay or my references.

Any suggestions? Should I try to ask other people? I feel bad re-asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
First you should ask PharmCAS what happened. If they said they would save these for you, they should have. Maybe they still have it somewhere and it can be added back.

But then again, if not, I feel like you should have done a lot in the past year and changed (for the better) where you would want to use new LOR writers to express this change in yourself. If you apply to the same schools with the same letters, maybe someone will remember your letter from last year and not think you tried very hard to improve yourself.

So maybe its not all bad if you can't get the old ones back.

I heard that pharmcas wipes out your application after each application cycle but I also heard that you have to do something (I forgot what) to save you application for next year....I think.

you should post this in the pharmcas thread

Grr, I'm irritated. I feel extremely awkward re-asking my references for new ones, they most likely deleted their old ones. It is also admitted I failed to get in last year?

I read pharmcas would not delete anything like this if you applied to at least one school and paid them. All my other information is there, but not the personal essay or my references.

First you should ask PharmCAS what happened. If they said they would save these for you, they should have. Maybe they still have it somewhere and it can be added back.

But then again, if not, I feel like you should have done a lot in the past year and changed (for the better) where you would want to use new LOR writers to express this change in yourself. If you apply to the same schools with the same letters, maybe someone will remember your letter from last year and not think you tried very hard to improve yourself.

Pretty sure there's a statement when you first begin working on your app that everything is wiped out at the end of every application cycle.

I heard that pharmcas wipes out your application after each application cycle but I also heard that you have to do something (I forgot what) to save you application for next year....I think.

I thought pharmCAS saves everything except LORs?

you should post this in the pharmcas thread

Merging with the PharmCAS thread. Please use the search function in the future before posting a new thread.

I don't know where to post this question:
I already took the PCAT, but you know how when you register for the PCAT you have to choose the schools you want to send it to: well now I want to add two more schools is that possible? And I think they require a paper version copy sent to the school.

We cut off the processing for Monday mailings on Thursday afternoon, so, if you are verified and the GPAs are calculated on Friday then you won't be mailed until the next Monday. We need Friday to prepare the mailings.

just the answer I was looking for. Thank you. My GPA was verified last Saturday, and I was expecting it to be mailed the following Monday. I got worried when it wasn't sent out at all last week.

I don't know where to post this question:
I already took the PCAT, but you know how when you register for the PCAT you have to choose the schools you want to send it to: well now I want to add two more schools is that possible? And I think they require a paper version copy sent to the school.

If it is a PharmCAS school, they should get your PCAT when your application is sent to them (you don't have to designate through Pearson, you designate through PharmCAS).

If it isn't a PharmCAS school, contact Pearson & pay for the scores to be sent to the 2 additional schools.

I thought pharmCAS saves everything except LORs?

Pretty sure there's a statement when you first begin working on your app that everything is wiped out at the end of every application cycle.

Merging with the PharmCAS thread. Please use the search function in the future before posting a new thread.

Check out the FAQs for what rolls over and what doesn't at https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants2012/faq/pcas_reapplying.shtml

There are reasons that your LORs and essay don't roll over - admissions officers want to know why you are different from last year when you didn't get in. How have you grown as an applicant? What have to done to increase your academic foundation to be better prepared for the rigors of a pharmacy program? Use your essay and your LORs to communicate this.

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmCAS Customer Service will be closed the afternoon of Tuesday, September 27 for Professional Training. Regular Customer Service hours (9am-5pm Eastern Time) will resume on Wednesday, September 28. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I bet that will cause a lot of inconvenience for a lot of people, lol. Luckily, my part with PharmCAS is all done as of today! Now for the rest of my supplementals...

Do you guys think forgetting one course from my transcript on my pharmcas coursework will cause problems causing them to send it back or will they just process the application and wait till December to allow me to fix it?

Hi guys...I just have a quick question. I won't e-submit my pharmcas until Oct. 10 becuase I am still working on my personal statement and rest of application. However, I am done listing all the classes and coursewor. My question is that should I send in the transcripts from my school to pharmcas now or wait until I e-submit. Another question is that does pharmcas even does grade calculation before you e-submit.

I will glad if anyone could help. Thanks in advance.

Hi guys...I just have a quick question. I won't e-submit my pharmcas until Oct. 10 becuase I am still working on my personal statement and rest of application. However, I am done listing all the classes and coursewor. My question is that should I send in the transcripts from my school to pharmcas now or wait until I e-submit. Another question is that does pharmcas even does grade calculation before you e-submit.

I will glad if anyone could help. Thanks in advance.

To answer your first question, you should seen your transcripts to PharmCAS NOW!! It may take a week or two for them to receive them in the mail.
To answer your second question, NO! PharmCAS will not calculate your GPAs until AFTER you e-submit, pay the required fee, and send in your transcripts. Once all that is done, verifying your application may take up to five weeks. But the average time is 2-3 weeks depending on when you send it. The earlier the better, because its getting close to school deadlines. As time goes on, PharmCAS will be swamped with applications.

Do you guys think forgetting one course from my transcript on my pharmcas coursework will cause problems causing them to send it back or will they just process the application and wait till December to allow me to fix it?

I'm guessing you're asking because you're in this situation. If anyone has any direct experience here, please share!

What I would do (not having been in this situation): I would call/e-mail PharmCAS with your question & include the course information for the one you neglected to enter. Ask if there's any way to get the oversight fixed now or whether they'll fix it during GPA verification with your transcripts, and how it will show up for the schools if they do fix it. I really don't think they're going to hold up / sit on your app until December, either way.

I doubt one correction for a class with a decent grade is going to be an issue, but I have no direct experience to back that up.

I'm guessing you're asking because you're in this situation. If anyone has any direct experience here, please share!

What I would do (not having been in this situation): I would call/e-mail PharmCAS with your question & include the course information for the one you neglected to enter. Ask if there's any way to get the oversight fixed now or whether they'll fix it during GPA verification with your transcripts, and how it will show up for the schools if they do fix it. I really don't think they're going to hold up / sit on your app until December, either way.

I doubt one correction for a class with a decent grade is going to be an issue, but I have no direct experience to back that up.

Yeah I withdrew from a cell bio course in my junior year(rough year) and took it the following semester. I remembered to put that I withdrew, but forgot to put the grade I got the following semester. I'll probably call tomorrow and ask since they're down today.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if we could remove a course from our pending courses section if we decide that we do not want to take the course anymore. I listed it when I was doing applications like a month ago, but now I have decided not to take it. Would I be able to remove the course during the academic update period?

I have one for Albany (Vermont campus) on the 7th, and one for Midwestern (Chicago) on the 14th.

Hi guys...I have a quick transcript question. So I printed the transcript request form from PharmCas. My school offers to mail in the official transcript to my home. My question is that can I have the official transcript sent to my home and then when it comes, put the sealed envelope and the PharmCas form in another envolpe and send it over to PharmCas myself? (The official transcript will sealed but I assume it will have my home address on the envelope so PharmCas will still know that first I got the transcript at home).

I am asking this because I don't go to the main campus of my school and the financial aid office is in the main campus. It is a bit far from my house, but I can still go if I have to.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

I have a quick question. I am getting a recommendation from my pharmacist. He insists that he wants to go through the paper route (for reasons unknown). So, I have to print the form for him from the pharmcas and he will fill it and attach a recommendation letter. My question is that is it going to delay my application process by any chance? I've seen that PharmCas strictly advices to use electronic ones. Also, all of my other recommendations are electronic, will having a paper one dealy getting my recommendations to designated schools?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

I have a quick question. I am getting a recommendation from my pharmacist. He insists that he wants to go through the paper route (for reasons unknown). So, I have to print the form for him from the pharmcas and he will fill it and attach a recommendation letter. My question is that is it going to delay my application process by any chance? I've seen that PharmCas strictly advices to use electronic ones. Also, all of my other recommendations are electronic, will having a paper one dealy getting my recommendations to designated schools?

Thanks in advance.

Merged with PharmCAS thread for better responses.

I'd guess that it's definitely going to delay your application a bit, if for no other reason than the time it will spend in the mail. Beyond that, I could only speculate. Maybe Jen could provide a more definitive answer.

Hello everyone,

Just have a quick question.

Does anyone know how soon pharmcas forward pcat score to the destinated schools after the application has already been submitted?

I e-submitted last month but just took the pcat today. I did indicate on the appliacation that I will be taking the pcat on sept 28th.

Thanks everyone!

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how soon pharmcas forward pcat score to the destinated schools after the application has already been submitted?

I e-submitted last month but just took the pcat today. I did indicate on the appliacation that I will be taking the pcat on sept 28th.

Thanks everyone!

Merged with PharmCAS thread for better responses.

Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone!

Pharmcas faq indicates that, " If your PCAT, TOEFL or TSE scores arrive after your application has been sent to the schools, PharmCAS will forward your test scores to your pharmacy schools in a separate report."

Am I safe to assume that they will do so rather quickly instead of waiting until academic update in January?

Last edited:
Pharmcas faq indicates that, " If your PCAT, TOEFL or TSE scores arrive after your application has been sent to the schools, PharmCAS will forward your test scores to your pharmacy schools in a separate report."

Am I safe to assume that they will do so rather quickly instead of waiting until academic update in January?

Yes. Should happen pretty much as soon as they receive it & match it up with your application. (Mailings are on Mondays, though.)

My question is that is it going to delay my application process by any chance? I've seen that PharmCas strictly advices to use electronic ones. Also, all of my other recommendations are electronic, will having a paper one dealy getting my recommendations to designated schools?

It takes longer for the recommendation to get to them, get scanned, and get matched up with your app. Also, there's no way to enforce that the recommendation has filled out the form correctly / completely on paper. For these reasons, they probably highly suggest doing them online. However, I don't think it would cause a serious traffic jam - otherwise, why would they provide the paper form?

My question is that can I have the official transcript sent to my home and then when it comes, put the sealed envelope and the PharmCas form in another envolpe and send it over to PharmCas myself?

The directions call for sending it to PharmCAS directly. I'd call them / e-mail them before I went this route.

I am asking this because I don't go to the main campus of my school and the financial aid office is in the main campus. It is a bit far from my house, but I can still go if I have to.

Schlep it dude. They really can't take the request via fax? It's worth the car ride / bus ride / mule cart ride across town to make sure this gets done properly.

(I'm paranoid, so I drove all over town to the 3 colleges I've gone to & hand-delivered the info. 2 of the 3 put it in the mail pile while I was watching. I could have faxed the requests.)

I'm going to submit my application after Owle responds to my email. :)

It feels so scary. I don't want to submit it :scared:

What does this mean: "Total Number of Hours Over Span of Experience"
It's in the extracurricular section.

Is it asking for the number of hours we obtained from that club? What if I'm currently in that club?

What does this mean: "Total Number of Hours Over Span of Experience"
It's in the extracurricular section.

Is it asking for the number of hours we obtained from that club? What if I'm currently in that club?

Yes, list however many hours you have spent on that club up to now. It is understood to be an estimate. My impression is that many people "pad" their estimate. ;)

Hi, I'm applying this cycle for pharmacy school and I have a couple of questions about the application process.

I understand how PharmCAS works and am in the middle of filling it out right now but I was wondering if anyone had ideas about how specific schools interpret the GPA because I know PharmCAS is gonna take into account every class I've taken. I am curious about this because about 3-4 years ago I was at a major university and unfortunately failed some classes and was asked to leave. I failed 2 classes and had Cs or so for the rest :scared:. Since then however I got back up on the horse and the past two years have managed a decent GPA in the 3.4 (does not include the university grades) range at CC with straight As in all sciences except Gen Chem I i got a B and II a C. I took my PCAT and got an 80 composite so I'm not worried about that just about the grades from the university.

The second question I have is about letters of recommendation, I have 3-4 people willing to write me a letter but my top choice, Midwestern University only wants 2. I was wondering which 2 I will benefit the most from having:

1. From a pharmacist who I volunteered for and then was offered a job by, shes known me for 1.5 years and totally believes in me making it in :D.

2. From a pharmacist who I have worked with a bit less but knows me very well and was a member on Midwestern's board, shes working with me on how they interview, and she's the nicest person ever!

3. My Ochem teacher who I had for both Ochem 1 and 2 and got As in both his Lecture and Lab, I was active in class and he knew me but not personally.

4. An economics teacher who happened to like me a lot and offered without me asking.

So I'm really split between whether I should do both pharmacists or a pharmacist and a teacher, but then I have no idea who to chose of the two pharmacists :(

Thank you for reading sorry it was a lot, I'm having soo much anxiety about whether or not I have a chance :scared: but that's how applying is right? lol

Hi, I'm applying this cycle for pharmacy school and I have a couple of questions about the application process.

I understand how PharmCAS works and am in the middle of filling it out right now but I was wondering if anyone had ideas about how specific schools interpret the GPA because I know PharmCAS is gonna take into account every class I've taken. I am curious about this because about 3-4 years ago I was at a major university and unfortunately failed some classes and was asked to leave. I failed 2 classes and had Cs or so for the rest :scared:. Since then however I got back up on the horse and the past two years have managed a decent GPA in the 3.4 (does not include the university grades) range at CC with straight As in all sciences except Gen Chem I i got a B and II a C. I took my PCAT and got an 80 composite so I'm not worried about that just about the grades from the university.

The second question I have is about letters of recommendation, I have 3-4 people willing to write me a letter but my top choice, Midwestern University only wants 2. I was wondering which 2 I will benefit the most from having:

1. From a pharmacist who I volunteered for and then was offered a job by, shes known me for 1.5 years and totally believes in me making it in :D.

2. From a pharmacist who I have worked with a bit less but knows me very well and was a member on Midwestern's board, shes working with me on how they interview, and she's the nicest person ever!

3. My Ochem teacher who I had for both Ochem 1 and 2 and got As in both his Lecture and Lab, I was active in class and he knew me but not personally.

4. An economics teacher who happened to like me a lot and offered without me asking.

So I'm really split between whether I should do both pharmacists or a pharmacist and a teacher, but then I have no idea who to chose of the two pharmacists :(

Thank you for reading sorry it was a lot, I'm having soo much anxiety about whether or not I have a chance :scared: but that's how applying is right? lol

Moving to appropriate thread.

If I was a member, then an officer and then leader of an organization should I list them all under one entry or make an independent entry for each position?

I took my PCAT Sept 26th. I didn't pick Pharmcas 104 code i picked the individual schools I was applying to. I called Pearson and told them I wanted to add Pharmcas 104 after my test. They said as long as I chose schools with Pharmcas I should be good. Has anyone experienced this? Will my scores show up on pharmcas? and usually how long? thanks

I took my PCAT Sept 26th. I didn't pick Pharmcas 104 code i picked the individual schools I was applying to. I called Pearson and told them I wanted to add Pharmcas 104 after my test. They said as long as I chose schools with Pharmcas I should be good. Has anyone experienced this? Will my scores show up on pharmcas? and usually how long? thanks

As long as you allowed your PCAT scores to be sent to whatever pharmacy schools you checkboxed in PharmCAS after you took the PCAT (the last screen before the survey I believe), then your scores will be sent to them.

The PCAT section will be updated after 5 weeks. I took mine in July 2011 and didn't see an update in the test section of my PharmCAS application until early September.

I am planning to take my last prerequisites during spring semester, and a course at a community college next summer. However, when I asked PharmCAS about this, they said:

"PharmCAS does not recommend entering "Planned/In-Progress" courses for which you have not yet registered. You can update your "Planned/In-Progress" courses during the PharmCAS Academic Update period from Dec. 15, 2011 to Feb. 15, 2012."

This contradicts their instructions on their website ("List ALL undergraduate, graduate, and professional institutions you have attended or plan to attend prior to entering a school of pharmacy" -- which would include the community college). Also, I am worried that schools will look at my application unfavourably if I don't have all their prerequisites in the coursework section, completed or planned.

What is a good course of action to take? Should I enter my planned courses for spring semester anyway, or not?

Thanks for the help.

If that is the only mistake that you made, they may just fix it, but if you made others, they will undeliver your application and ask you to fix it. You may be better off contacting customer service and asking if they can allow you to fix it now.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if we could remove a course from our pending courses section if we decide that we do not want to take the course anymore. I listed it when I was doing applications like a month ago, but now I have decided not to take it. Would I be able to remove the course during the academic update period?

Yes.

References - submit all 4 because you can. Ask your top choice what their policy is for references (how they decide which ones to look at) if they receive all 4 and order them appropriately.

GPA calculations - each school is different in how they calculate the GPA, so it's best to check with each school individually.

ALSO - since you were dismissed from a school, be sure to mark yes to the question in the background section and then use that area to explain what happened. This will help the schools understand if your GPA is low.

If I was a member, then an officer and then leader of an organization should I list them all under one entry or make an independent entry for each position?

List them all under one entry and include your description of your leadership growth in the Position Title/Brief Description section.

I am planning to take my last prerequisites during spring semester, and a course at a community college next summer. However, when I asked PharmCAS about this, they said:

"PharmCAS does not recommend entering "Planned/In-Progress" courses for which you have not yet registered. You can update your "Planned/In-Progress" courses during the PharmCAS Academic Update period from Dec. 15, 2011 to Feb. 15, 2012."

This contradicts their instructions on their website ("List ALL undergraduate, graduate, and professional institutions you have attended or plan to attend prior to entering a school of pharmacy" -- which would include the community college). Also, I am worried that schools will look at my application unfavourably if I don't have all their prerequisites in the coursework section, completed or planned.

What is a good course of action to take? Should I enter my planned courses for spring semester anyway, or not?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, please enter them. I have addressed this with PharmCAS customer service to make sure that they do not give out any further misinformation.

Quick question guys...Is there an order that schools read recommendation letters? I have 3 letters and my school wants 3 also. I am asking this becuase I want to read them the best one first.

(I know that this question has been answered before but I forgot waht was the answer and can't find the question again, so sorry for repetition).