*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I emailed the PharmCAS people about how exactly to add my AP scores but I got a very vague response that didn't really answer my question. I figure this board probably has the best idea of what to do so here it goes:

Here's the response I got from PharmCAS:
"You will enter the test name and subject in the course title and prefix fields, the Grade will be "CR" for Credit, and the PharmCAS Grade will be "N/A." "

The last half is fine but do we really just repeat the exam name in the first two fields?

For both the chemistry and calculus AP exams my scores qualified to give me credit for 2 classes each, which are listed separately on the transcript. Should I add the exams twice and put each class' credit hours or just sum up the hours and add each exam once?

Also, I got credit for taking the Physics exam but decided to retake the class at my university. Should I still add the credits I got from the AP exam?

And, last one, I took both of the English exams and got a 4 on both. My university counts getting a 4 on either exam as the first English class and getting a 5 on either as credit for English I and II. Do I just pick one exam and ignore the other?

Adding all of my coursework/exams has been the bane of my existence recently so thanks in advance!

While I hope someone will be able to help you, I have to reject your premise. How can anyone here possibly know better than PharmCAS how you should fill out the fields? You paid good money, get them to answer your questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking for someone who can edit my personal statement! Please message me if you are willing to do it! I would greatly appreciate it!

I'm looking for someone who can edit my personal statement! Please message me if you are willing to do it! I would greatly appreciate it!

The post immediately above yours has a link to the proofreading thread. It is a stickied thread, the same as this thread. The first post in that thread has instructions for how to get in touch with a volunteer proofreader.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're not required. I'm just taking them because a lot of patients are Spanish speakers (I'm a Texan), so I think it might be useful in the long run. I know that pharmacists don't have much patient contact, but it's a dynamic field so who knows what might happen :p

It sounds like a good idea, but I'm not even sure I'd worry about listing it. Ask the school - I mean, if it's not a prereq, it makes sense to me that they wouldn't care whether you've planned to take it or not. Then, if you do take it, they would want to see the transcript just to make sure you didn't torch your GPA... (However, this is all pure speculation on my part.)

You may also seriously consider taking a medical Spanish class in addition to the conversational series (Spanish I, II, etc.).

I made a huge, huge mistake. I did not answer the 'immediate and long term goal' question of the Pharmcas personal statement. And I e-submitted.....Is there any way to edit it again? Am I just literally screwed?

I don't understand the bolded sentiment... What did you write about, then? I think as long as it was otherwise topical, the fact that you didn't go above & beyond answering that particular part doesn't mean your whole application will be tossed. The personal statement is meant to answer several questions, one of which is the question you listed.

I took the July 20th PCAT, got the scores a few weeks ago.

Today I just registered for PharmCAS and put in my CID and such. I was wondering how long it takes for PharmCAS to update those scores?

Hey everyone,
I'm applying to about three or four schools that require LOR's from a pharmacist. I've been having difficulty obtaining this letter as a few of the pharmacists I've asked are slow to reply or downright ignore my request. I've e-submitted my pharmCAS app a while back and am now working on supplementals. Is it reccommended that I go ahead and submit the supplementals for those particular schools even though the letter has not been turned in yet? Will they consider my application incomplete and not bother considering it if I submit the supplemental at this time or will they review it once and take the LOR into consideration when it is received later? Thanks in advance! :)

Hey everyone,
I'm applying to about three or four schools that require LOR's from a pharmacist. I've been having difficulty obtaining this letter as a few of the pharmacists I've asked are slow to reply or downright ignore my request. I've e-submitted my pharmCAS app a while back and am now working on supplementals. Is it reccommended that I go ahead and submit the supplementals for those particular schools even though the letter has not been turned in yet? Will they consider my application incomplete and not bother considering it if I submit the supplemental at this time or will they review it once and take the LOR into consideration when it is received later? Thanks in advance! :)

I'm having the same problem with one of my professors...

There were probably a lot of people on vacation in August so maybe the LORs will pick up now that school is starting again :D I am still waiting on one of my three as well.

Will they consider my application incomplete and not bother considering it if I submit the supplemental at this time or will they review it once and take the LOR into consideration when it is received later?

I'm confused - why would they review it once, then review it again later? Are you asking if you'd get an interview after you submit the supplemental but before the LoR comes in?

PharmCAS considers their part of the application complete with: 1) All required fields filled in; 2) Fee paid; 3) All transcripts received / GPA calculated. PharmCAS will forward the following as they receive them, but won't hold up on mailing your app for: 1) Test scores; 2) LoRs

Your pharm school considers your application complete with: 1) Completed PharmCAS application received; 2) Required number of LoRs received; 3) Any scores required by the school (like PCAT / TOEFL) received. Then they will review & send supplementals based on whatever criteria they choose, in which case they'd be waiting on: 4) Supplemental application received; 5) Any supplemental fees paid. After those items are received, then your application is reviewed as to whether they want to offer an interview or not.

This is my impression - someone correct me if I'm wrong (even if it's just at a particular school).

If the school is one I definitely want to be considered at (like my #1 / 2 school) I'd probably go submit the supplemental even though the school is waiting on an LoR. If other schools require fewer LoRs and already consider my app complete, and the one waiting on the additional LoR is lower on the list, I'd probably wait & save myself the supplemental fee unless I don't get into the other schools.

Hey Everyone,

I submitted my pharmcas app in July. Everything (LORs, transcripts, etc) were submitted, paid for, and verified. However, I just added two more classes to my fall schedule. Should I send new updated transcripts showing I have enrolled in those classes, or should I just wait until the end of the quarter so the new transcript shows my grades in those classes? Also, when can I add those classes to pharmcas?? I literally just signed up for those classes yesterday. Any help is appreciated! Thanks! :)

Hey Everyone,

I submitted my pharmcas app in July. Everything (LORs, transcripts, etc) were submitted, paid for, and verified. However, I just added two more classes to my fall schedule. Should I send new updated transcripts showing I have enrolled in those classes, or should I just wait until the end of the quarter so the new transcript shows my grades in those classes? Also, when can I add those classes to pharmcas?? I literally just signed up for those classes yesterday. Any help is appreciated! Thanks! :)

Moved to the PharmCAS sticky for responses.:)

I would not send your transcripts showing you've enrolled for the classes. I believe there is an update period in like December or January or something during which you'd add the classes with your grade & send transcripts. Anyone have experience doing this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Checked this morning...pharmcas status for all my apps were mailed as of 9/5. Some of the schools im applying to only gives Supp app info to those that have completed their apps though pharmcas..ex Thomas Jefferson.

Also any idea when I will start hearing from schools bout interviews???

Checked this morning...pharmcas status for all my apps were mailed as of 9/5. Some of the schools im applying to only gives Supp app info to those that have completed their apps though pharmcas..ex Thomas Jefferson.

Also any idea when I will start hearing from schools bout interviews???

Hmm, for some schools, probably right away. I submitted my Supp app for Midwestern CCP on Sep 1st, and got an interview invite 2 days later.

My three transcripts were postmarked on 8/3 & 8/4 from AZ.
PharmCAS marked the following dates:
- Received 8/12 (sent 8/3)
- Received 8/12 (sent 8/4)
- Received 8/15 (sent 8/4)
None showed "received" in PharmCAS until today (8/17).

LoRs received (electronically) on 8/9 & 8/18.
Application submitted & paid on 8/19.
GPA Calculations complete on 8/31.
Mailed 9/5. :soexcited:

Gee, PharmCAS is working so hard they didn't take Labor Day off, I guess! :eek:

Does anyone know what status "in progress" mean for the LORs???
I'm just wondering because my reference completed writing the letter and he showed it to me, but I wonder if that "in progress" means that he forgot to submit the letter or he didn't fill out the extra paper work or something went wrong :s

Can sometime tell me how long PharmCas usually takes to calculate GPAs? My transcripts were received on 9/01/2011.

Also, is anyone starting a thread for University of Houston and Texas Tech???

Can sometime tell me how long PharmCas usually takes to calculate GPAs? My transcripts were received on 9/01/2011.

Also, is anyone starting a thread for University of Houston and Texas Tech???

I started one for Texas Tech, though I put the date wrong. I put 2011 instead of 2016 :p

You have to e-submit before they will start calculating GPAs. If you've done that, they take up to 5 weeks. I submitted on 8/26 and am still waiting to give you an idea of how things are moving along lately.

I submitted mine on 9/2. I heard that if you are an early decision applicant that your GPA's get priority when it comes to calculating them. I applied for early decision to my top school, has anyone else done the same?

writing my supp app essays right now... is it bad that my supp apps look almost like my pharmcas essay?? Im not gonna go word for word but I feel my pharmcas personal statment basically sums up everything my supp apps are asking. Id hate to send a essay that is almost identical...but you can only deviate sooo much...

July 27 PCAT score reports are out today. Expecting that Pearson will mail them to PharmCAS within 2 weeks, a week in the mail, and a few days for some poor schlup at PharmCAS to key it. That means PharmCAS will update within 3-4 weeks, by my calculations. While it could be much earlier, I am not going to get nervous until then. :smuggrin:

The scores are actually sent electronically from Pearson to PharmCAS and they all go in at once, no poor schlup involved ;)

Am I safe if my transcripts arrived at PharmCAS, but will not be processed before the deadline, or do they have to be processed before the deadline?

Thanks.

They just have to be received by the deadline, not processed.

Last edited:
Need some help/conformation here. This is basically the steps i'm taking in this whole process.

1. Sign up for PCAT
2. Fill out PharmCAS application.
3. Request transcript from PharmCAS
4. Give form to my school so they can send out my transcript to the list of schools I am applying to via PharmCAS.
5. After PharmCAS received my transcript and calculated my GPA, i submit my pharmcas (assuming all other sections are completed).
6. Fill out all supplemental forms.

If I follow all these steps everything should go smoothly right? :confused:

If you read the instructions, it includes a very helpful checklist for you to use...

While I hope someone will be able to help you, I have to reject your premise. How can anyone here possibly know better than PharmCAS how you should fill out the fields? You paid good money, get them to answer your questions.

I have to reject the idea that PharmCAS did not answer the question. Exact instructions of how to enter the information were given. Trust that customer service is giving you the correct answer.

Any idea how long would it take for pharmcas to mail a letter of recommendation that was done via paper and not electronic? My application was sent at Aug 8 and apparently one of my schools still have not received that letter.

Mailings are sent to the schools electronically every Monday (excluding holiday weeks). So, when your paper LOR is received, it will be sent as an update to your application the following Monday as long as it is received by Thursday afternoon. Anything received on a Friday is sent on the next Monday.

I'm confused - why would they review it once, then review it again later? Are you asking if you'd get an interview after you submit the supplemental but before the LoR comes in?

PharmCAS considers their part of the application complete with: 1) All required fields filled in; 2) Fee paid; 3) All transcripts received / GPA calculated. PharmCAS will forward the following as they receive them, but won't hold up on mailing your app for: 1) Test scores; 2) LoRs

Your pharm school considers your application complete with: 1) Completed PharmCAS application received; 2) Required number of LoRs received; 3) Any scores required by the school (like PCAT / TOEFL) received. Then they will review & send supplementals based on whatever criteria they choose, in which case they'd be waiting on: 4) Supplemental application received; 5) Any supplemental fees paid. After those items are received, then your application is reviewed as to whether they want to offer an interview or not.

This is my impression - someone correct me if I'm wrong (even if it's just at a particular school).

If the school is one I definitely want to be considered at (like my #1 / 2 school) I'd probably go submit the supplemental even though the school is waiting on an LoR. If other schools require fewer LoRs and already consider my app complete, and the one waiting on the additional LoR is lower on the list, I'd probably wait & save myself the supplemental fee unless I don't get into the other schools.

You are correct.

I would not send your transcripts showing you've enrolled for the classes. I believe there is an update period in like December or January or something during which you'd add the classes with your grade & send transcripts. Anyone have experience doing this?

Academic Update opens Dec 15 and closes on Feb 15. All updates can be made then. If you have e-submitted, then you can't go back and add the classes until Academic Update anyway.

writing my supp app essays right now... is it bad that my supp apps look almost like my pharmcas essay?? Im not gonna go word for word but I feel my pharmcas personal statment basically sums up everything my supp apps are asking. Id hate to send a essay that is almost identical...but you can only deviate sooo much...

In most cases it will be the same people reading both essays, so I would definitely write a different essay than what you submitted to PharmCAS. Many schools have the supplemental essay so that you can talk about why you want to attend their school in particular. Why don't you talk about how their university/curriculum/mission of the pharmacy school are going to help you meet the goals that you mentioned in your PharmCAS essay instead?

I submitted mine on 9/2. I heard that if you are an early decision applicant that your GPA's get priority when it comes to calculating them. I applied for early decision to my top school, has anyone else done the same?

Early Decision applicants receive priority processing until about the 2nd week of Oct. This is because schools have to make decisions on all ED applicants by the 3rd Friday in Oct. That way if you don't get accepted ED then you can still apply to schools that have a Nov 1 deadline if you choose to.

The scores are actually sent electronically from Pearson to PharmCAS and they all go in at once, no poor schlup involved ;)

I'm glad to hear that, in the 21st century. I could only imagine how much work it would be for you all if a "poor schlup" had to key 'em all in! :eek:

PS, thanks again for mailing on Labor Day!

Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. a grade lowering penalty, failing grade, dismissal, disqualification, suspension, probation, etc.) by any faculty member, college or university for academic or professional misconduct or unacceptable academic performance?

I'm not sure what to put for this. I failed a class my first semester of college so do i put yes?

Hey guys,

My school registrar claims they mailed out my transcript to pharmcas August 31... It is now Sept 8 and pharmcas still says "not received." I live in Florida and pharmcas is in Massachusetts. Do you guys think my transcript will reach soon? Should I go to the registrar and request my transcript be sent again? For anyone that resides in Florida approximately how long did you have to wait for pharmcas to receive your transcript from the actual day your school registrar mailed it out? I know it takes about 5 weeks for gpas to be calculated but I'm not concerned about that right now. I'm just freaking out over why my transcript hasn't reached them yet :confused:

Many thanks for any response.

does anyone know if the interview essay is going to be handwritten or on the computer? because i think i write better when i type on the computer.

also.. if anyone knows, do they total up the 'interview score' along with the 'essay score' to determine your acceptance?

thanks guys!

Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. a grade lowering penalty, failing grade, dismissal, disqualification, suspension, probation, etc.) by any faculty member, college or university for academic or professional misconduct or unacceptable academic performance?

I'm not sure what to put for this. I failed a class my first semester of college so do i put yes?

If you failed the class because the professor caught you cheating or it was the punishment for some other type of misconduct then you should mark yes. If you failed the class because you just didn't do well in it academically then you should mark no.

Hope that helps.

Hey guys,

My school registrar claims they mailed out my transcript to pharmcas August 31... It is now Sept 8 and pharmcas still says "not received." I live in Florida and pharmcas is in Massachusetts. Do you guys think my transcript will reach soon? Should I go to the registrar and request my transcript be sent again? For anyone that resides in Florida approximately how long did you have to wait for pharmcas to receive your transcript from the actual day your school registrar mailed it out? I know it takes about 5 weeks for gpas to be calculated but I'm not concerned about that right now. I'm just freaking out over why my transcript hasn't reached them yet :confused:

Just relax and hang tight for a bit. PharmCAS is giving priority processing to Early Decision applicants right now and there was a holiday in the time frame that you mentioned. They may be there, but just haven't been scanned in yet. They are all marked with the date that they come in and are scanned in with the date marked, so if they have been there for a few days waiting to be scanned, they will ultimately be marked with the correct date. Also, don't forget that the mail is not delivered on weekends or holidays either.

Wait a week and if you don't see it there, then you should call customer service.

is acceptance based on only the interview and the writing sample once you get the interview? or does your application also come into play?

in other words, if two people, one with a 3.9gpa vs. the other with a 3.1gpa are invited for an interview, do they have equal chances of getting accepted? or is it easier for the 3.9gpa person to get accepted? thanks!

I submitted my pharmcas about a month ago, but I think I made a small mistake on my pharmcas course classifications... For one of my courses, I put it as social/behavioral science, when now that I think about it, it was closer to English/literature. Would I have to call each school I applied to and let them know (assuming I'm short an English prereq with them), or do I have to do it through pharmcas?

I have to reject the idea that PharmCAS did not answer the question. Exact instructions of how to enter the information were given. Trust that customer service is giving you the correct answer.
I emailed PharmCAS three times and got three completely different responses. In the end I just went with the one that made the most sense to me.

Does anyone know what status "in progress" mean for the LORs???
I'm just wondering because my reference completed writing the letter and he showed it to me, but I wonder if that "in progress" means that he forgot to submit the letter or he didn't fill out the extra paper work or something went wrong :s

In progress means that the writer got the email and logged on and is working on it, but hasn't completed or submitted it yet.

Question about PCAT scores. I did not select PharmCAS as one of my three "schools" to send to originally. I ordered another transcript to be sent and Pearson confirmed the order on August 18th but PharmCAS still hasn't posted my scores... has any one sent scores this way and know if waiting three or four weeks is normal?

Question about PCAT scores. I did not select PharmCAS as one of my three "schools" to send to originally. I ordered another transcript to be sent and Pearson confirmed the order on August 18th but PharmCAS still hasn't posted my scores... has any one sent scores this way and know if waiting three or four weeks is normal?

I did the same exact thing. I took the July 27th PCAT and I had my scores sent to pharmCAS a few days later... it didn't show up on pharmCAS until closer towards the end of August so you should be fine!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Also, can my letter writer scan his LOR and upload it to pharmCAS that way??

Hey guys,

If its possible.....ask if you can obtain a copy of your OFFICIAL transcript and mail it yourself. You can send it priority mail, overnight, or whatever you decide. Just make sure its an OFFICIAL transcript with the school's information and everything on it, and that its sealed in an official school envelope from the registrar. I did the same for mine and sent it Priority Mail and it arrived within a few days. From the time I mailed it, it took PharmCAS about a week to update my application. So I'm sure yours is there. Just probably hasn't been scanned yet.

If its possible.....ask if you can obtain a copy of your OFFICIAL transcript and mail it yourself. You can send it priority mail, overnight, or whatever you decide. Just make sure its an OFFICIAL transcript with the school's information and everything on it, and that its sealed in an official school envelope from the registrar. I did the same for mine and sent it Priority Mail and it arrived within a few days. From the time I mailed it, it took PharmCAS about a week to update my application. So I'm sure yours is there. Just probably hasn't been scanned yet.

This is not possible since by definition an official transcript means the student has not had any contact or interaction with it. If it is issued to the student it is designated a student issue and most schools will print that on it.

This is not possible since by definition an official transcript means the student has not had any contact or interaction with it. If it is issued to the student it is designated a student issue and most schools will print that on it.

Yeah this is what I thought... I thought only school registrars had the capacity to mail out transcripts to pharmcas. Does anyone know if students are allowed to submit official transcripts (unopened, with the school's stamp, etc) they obtained from the registrar? If this is allowed I would've done it weeks ago... Thanks for the feedback guys.

It is possible but ONLY if your school will allow that. I did that for mine but I did make sure that every thing that was suppose to be stamped on their by the registrar was! So it didn't show as a "Student Issued" copy. Some schools allow this, but some don't. Mine did and my transcript was received by PharmCAS without a problem.

Just wondering... Are we allowed to add additional EC's after we e-submit our application, or is this only possible during academic update?

Just wondering... Are we allowed to add additional EC's after we e-submit our application, or is this only possible during academic update?

Nope!.....you're not allowed to edit ECs once you E-Submit. I'm not sure if you can do it during the Academic Update though. You can always call PharmCAS and ask if you need too.