*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question, I'm applying for Wayne State and their info on PharmCAS says they require only 2 letter of reqs, is it okay to submit 3 or will they only consider 2 of them?

Maybe this answer depends on the school but I thought someone may know the general way the LORs work.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question, I'm applying for Wayne State and their info on PharmCAS says they require only 2 letter of reqs, is it okay to submit 3 or will they only consider 2 of them?

Maybe this answer depends on the school but I thought someone may know the general way the LORs work.

I believe all ref's in pharmcas will be sent

If I'm going to be taking microbiology, anatomy, physiology, econ, stats next fall spring and summer but don't know where and what quarter do I still add it to pharmcas?

Members don't see this ad :)
A professor that I asked for a recommendation from said he completed it and sent it in electronically. However it hasn't shown up on PharmCAS yet, how long does it take usually?

A professor that I asked for a recommendation from said he completed it and sent it in electronically. However it hasn't shown up on PharmCAS yet, how long does it take usually?

I added my professor to the reference list and it said completed by the end of the day.

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but I need to take microbiology as a pre-req still, and I'm not planning on taking it until summer of 2012. I won't know which institution I will be taking it at yet. Would I add this as a "planned" course for 2012 summer or would I just not add it yet? (If i do add, what institution would I choose?)

Also regarding the extracurricular section for shadowing pharmacists, I shadowed some at very random times throughout the year. How would I enter a start/end time frame for this?

It really is school specific.

If I'm going to be taking microbiology, anatomy, physiology, econ, stats next fall spring and summer but don't know where and what quarter do I still add it to pharmcas?

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but I need to take microbiology as a pre-req still, and I'm not planning on taking it until summer of 2012. I won't know which institution I will be taking it at yet. Would I add this as a "planned" course for 2012 summer or would I just not add it yet? (If i do add, what institution would I choose?)

Also regarding the extracurricular section for shadowing pharmacists, I shadowed some at very random times throughout the year. How would I enter a start/end time frame for this?

Add all planned courses as this is important for the schools to determine whether you have a reasonable plan to finish your pre-requisites in a timely manner (among other things). Surely you have an intended institution and schedule in mind. If not, now's the time to figure it out so you don't end up doing this last minute to only find out that it won't work. It's fine if things change; you can update at the turn of the year.

As for listing ECs, I would omit them if they aren't periodic. Instead, mention them in your essays so that it demonstrates the significance of those experiences.

I've been volunteering at this clinic for 3 years but because it's too far away I only have like 30 hours so what should I put for "hours per week" if I didn't go regularly ? also the clinic only runs once a month and it's for about 5 hours.

Another question is would a parents separation be something I could talk about as having affected my grades ?

Thank you!

It really is school specific.

Add all planned courses as this is important for the schools to determine whether you have a reasonable plan to finish your pre-requisites in a timely manner (among other things). Surely you have an intended institution and schedule in mind. If not, now's the time to figure it out so you don't end up doing this last minute to only find out that it won't work. It's fine if things change; you can update at the turn of the year.

As for listing ECs, I would omit them if they aren't periodic. Instead, mention them in your essays so that it demonstrates the significance of those experiences.

Thanks for the response but the thing is winter 2012 and spring 2012 class schedules aren't even out yet so I don't even know what community college will have it and when

Thanks for the response but the thing is winter 2012 and spring 2012 class schedules aren't even out yet so I don't even know what community college will have it and when

Right. Looking at previous semesters should help though.

One of the schools I'm applying to accepts committee letters while the other one does not. Can we pick and choose which LORs get sent to each individual school? If so, how can I do that?

Thanks!

One of the schools I'm applying to accepts committee letters while the other one does not. Can we pick and choose which LORs get sent to each individual school? If so, how can I do that?

Thanks!

No. PharmCAS will send all received LORs to all schools.

Since this is a school specific issue, it is up to them on how this situation is handled. Check the schools' sites and their corresponding supplemental applications. It is possible that they allow you to designate it there. Otherwise, you could only hope that they will determine which letters to include based on writer type.

I need to send my LOR writers a reminder email *sighs*
Does this sound okay?

Dear Dr. X,

Thank you for taking the time to write on my behalf as I apply to pharmacy school. I just wanted to send you a quick reminder to please submit the references by ______. If you have any questions, please email me about it and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you again for doing me this favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to send my LOR writers a reminder email *sighs*
Does this sound okay?

Dear Dr. X,

Thank you for taking the time to write on my behalf as I apply to pharmacy school. I just wanted to send you a quick reminder to please submit the references by ______. If you have any questions, please email me about it and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you again for doing me this favor.

Sounds fine to me.

Yes. That way you can enter planned courses for that school.
Thank you Project 2015!

Since I haven't attended the school yet, do I still have to ask for a transcript request?
More specifically, does pharmCAS require a transcript request to be received from future schools if I haven't attended yet?

Thank you in advance!

Thank you Project 2015!

Since I haven't attended the school yet, do I still have to ask for a transcript request?
More specifically, does pharmCAS require a transcript request to be received from future schools if I haven't attended yet?

Thank you in advance!

No transcript necessary. PharmCAS does not need to verify in-progress or planned coursework.

If there are any changes to the proposed plan, make sure you follow the right channels to correct it. PharmCAS will have an academic update period during late December and well into the new year for addition of fall grades and updated plans. The individual schools may request that you also notify them directly (especially if they have already accepted you by the point you know).

Yay! Finally applying this cycle :) Goodluck to everyone!

Where is everyone planning to apply and what is the suggested time to have everything submitted to make it to by the first of August? Probably not possible now, huh? Or September?

Last edited:
Everything under the "additional information" box I have nothing to show for. How would that look?

Everything under the "additional information" box I have nothing to show for. How would that look?

From what a lot of people told me.... VERY BAD.

Well it depends how competitive the school you are applying to....

What did you guys put for "Campus Attended" on the transcript request form?
since it already lists the full institution name..

I just put the school and state. UCB - Berkeley, CA

If your university doesn't have multiple campuses (i.e., locations), leave it blank or just repeat the name.

Question..... My local hospital does not have a formal volunteer service in the pharmacy, but the pharmacist allowed me to come in and shadow an full day ~ 8 hours. Should I include this on my pharmcas app? Where? And what would I put for 'weekly hours' ? Thanks!

Question..... My local hospital does not have a formal volunteer service in the pharmacy, but the pharmacist allowed me to come in and shadow an full day ~ 8 hours. Should I include this on my pharmcas app? Where? And what would I put for 'weekly hours' ? Thanks!

Personal essay.

I added my professor to the reference list and it said completed by the end of the day.

Me too. Once they emailed me and said complete it, I received on PharmCAS right away.

Hello,

I have 2 question regarding the pharmcas.

1) Under Work experience, after you list the position title, do we list the job duties/intro about the position as well?

2) I got dean list in my 4 yrs university. Pharmcas suggested to list them under extracurricular only once. What should I fill for hour per week, total hour, time begin/completed ?

3) I volunteer in a hospital pharmacy for 1 years, should I list them under work experience or extracurricular?

Thank you

Hello,

I have 2 question regarding the pharmcas.

1) Under Work experience, after you list the position title, do we list the job duties/intro about the position as well?

2) I got dean list in my 4 yrs university. Pharmcas suggested to list them under extracurricular only once. What should I fill for hour per week, total hour, time begin/completed ?

3) I volunteer in a hospital pharmacy for 1 years, should I list them under work experience or extracurricular?

Thank you

I have the same question regarding the Dean's list.

Also, where do you put shadowing experience? And if you shadowed 3 different pharmacists, do you mention each one separately with his/her respective hours?

Dean's List best goes under Honors.

Shadowing (discrete events) better for inclusion into essay(s).

Volunteer work can go either EC or WE. Probably should decide based on what else you have and balance out the sections.

I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. When I enter this into my application can I choose "college in high school" for a classification? the program at the community college was called "dual enrollment".

For anyone who earned AP and IB scores from high school how long did it take for the schools to receive them? Basically what I'm asking is how long does it typically take for collegeboard and ibo to forward your scores to the pharmacy schools.

For anyone who earned AP and IB scores from high school how long did it take for the schools to receive them? Basically what I'm asking is how long does it typically take for collegeboard and ibo to forward your scores to the pharmacy schools.

For archived AP scores, a few weeks.

Did anyone get their PharmCAS GPA posted yet? I e-submitted like 3 weeks ago, but still nothing, and i thought it usually take them less than 2 weeks to calculate gpa at the very beginning of the application cycle?

I am applying to schools with rolling admissions. On the PharmCAS website from last cycle it says that on Aug 2, (2010), "PharmCAS begins to ship applications to schools on or before date." What does this mean? Will they send all applications from June and July together starting in August? Or is this just the time it takes to process the applications, so ones submitted in early June will be sent approx. early Aug, and ones submitted in July later, etc.? What I mean is, does it make a difference whether I apply the first week of June vs. the last week in July (for rolling admissions schools)?:confused:
Just wanted to quote this post because I had the same question.

PharmCAS says they will begin forwarding completed applications by August. So it doesn't matter whether you submit in June or July?

Did anyone get their PharmCAS GPA posted yet? I e-submitted like 3 weeks ago, but still nothing, and i thought it usually take them less than 2 weeks to calculate gpa at the very beginning of the application cycle?

Just wanted to quote this post because I had the same question.

PharmCAS says they will begin forwarding completed applications by August. So it doesn't matter whether you submit in June or July?

Ya'll need to RELAX and understand the rolling admissions process. From what I understand, a couple of weeks generally will not make a difference as long as you are in the same pool. Given that PharmCAS doesn't send out anything until August, they will probably not do verification until it is closer to that point because frankly not manly people submit it this extra early. It is not like the school orders people and gives applicant #20 extra points for being earlier than applicant #80 if the first pool/tier they look at is 200 applicants.

IMO, the submit (really super extra) early advice is way overhyped. The advantage is marginal unless you're comparing yourself to the person that submits it the month of the deadline. It absolutely is not worth it at the expense of sacrificing the quality of your application. Now on the other hand, if there is no way to make it any better, then by all means turn it in now.

Last edited:
Ya'll need to RELAX and understand the rolling admissions process. From what I understand, a couple of weeks generally will not make a difference as long as you are in the same pool. Given that PharmCAS doesn't send out anything until August, they will probably not do verification until it is closer to that point because frankly not manly people submit it this extra early. It is not like the school orders people and gives applicant #20 extra points for being earlier than applicant #80 if the first pool/tier they look at is 200 applicants.

IMO, the submit (really super extra) early advice is way overhyped. The advantage is marginal unless you're comparing yourself to the person that submits it the month of the deadline. It absolutely is not worth it at the expense of sacrificing the quality of your application. Now on the other hand, if there is no way to make it any better, then by all means turn it in now.

:D I wish SDN had a like button. Thanks Project2015 for easing everyone's fears. Nothing is sent until Aug 1, so verification is just barely starting.

:D I wish SDN had a like button. Thanks Project2015 for easing everyone's fears. Nothing is sent until Aug 1, so verification is just barely starting.

3 Likes :thumbup:

I don't know what to do. I received all the LORs and transcripts. I want to let couple more people read my personal statement before submitting. When is it consider early to submit the application? Middle of July, late July, or Early August? I am planning to wait 2 more weeks than submit it.

Given that PharmCAS doesn't send out anything until August, they will probably not do verification until it is closer to that point because frankly not manly people submit it this extra early/QUOTE]

They actually verified my app earlier this week. :D

I don't know what to do. I received all the LORs and transcripts. I want to let couple more people read my personal statement before submitting. When is it consider early to submit the application? Middle of July, late July, or Early August? I am planning to wait 2 more weeks than submit it.

I am sure you would be fine doing it at the end of this month. I dont think a few weeks would make a huge differance, I just submitted mine really early so I dont have to worry about it later.

I understand that August 1st is the first date that PharmCAS sends out applications to the schools. How often does PharmCAS send out then? When will it be the next send-out date? Thanks for answering ahead of time!

I understand that August 1st is the first date that PharmCAS sends out applications to the schools. How often does PharmCAS send out then? When will it be the next send-out date? Thanks for answering ahead of time!

Typically on a weekly basis, the exception being holiday weeks (Thanksgiving and winter). However, that does not mean that they will send all applications they have from that week as verification may take up to 5 weeks.

Given that PharmCAS doesn't send out anything until August, they will probably not do verification until it is closer to that point because frankly not manly people submit it this extra early/QUOTE]

They actually verified my app earlier this week. :D

I am sure you would be fine doing it at the end of this month. I dont think a few weeks would make a huge differance, I just submitted mine really early so I dont have to worry about it later.

I just submitted it! So, did you take the PCAT or you took it last year? I am getting little nervous because my stats aren't that great :(

I just submitted it! So, did you take the PCAT or you took it last year? I am getting little nervous because my stats aren't that great :(

I took the pcat last january, i am in the same issue with stats one bad semester 10 years ago that i didnt withdraw from, but hopefully they'll look at the trend of 60+hours at 3.5gpa.

hopefully applying early will help,:xf:
good luck

I took the pcat last january, i am in the same issue with stats one bad semester 10 years ago that i didnt withdraw from, but hopefully they'll look at the trend of 60+hours at 3.5gpa.

hopefully applying early will help,:xf:
good luck

It looks pretty good! Way better than me! I am only applying boarder line. :( I don't know if I have a chance. SIGH**** GOOD LUCK!! :xf:

Hi guys,

I'm starting to freak out with the snail mail process. My professor sent out my LOR via snail mail on 7/6 and it was delivered 7/8. I sent my professor a pre-paid postage with signature confirmation since I thought it would be more secured that way. When I go on the USPS track & confirm, it says a notice was left because no authorized recipient was available. Do you think a PharmCAS agent will retrieve the letter? if worst comes to worst, I'll just have my reference do it electronically?

Do the notices actually get retrieved by the agent??

I have read the requirements and everything on pharmcas.org, but I can't find anything that tells me when the application is sent. The thing is, I am taking the July 27th pcat and I might take it again in september. I don't plan on sending my application until around september. So my question is, if I make a pharmcas profile and it receives my pcat scores, does it send my application regardless of if it's finished or not? I don't want to create an account and then have my fate sealed by a misunderstanding. This pharmcas process is just confusing to me and if anyone can help I would be very happy. Thanks!

Once you submit your application pharmCAS calculates your GPA and sends it out which is anywhere from ~3-7 weeks. Any new information that gets added to your application after you submit (letters, PCAT scores, new transcripts) is forwarded to the schools you pick.

Submit early and make sure your PCAT CID is in there.

Once you submit your application pharmCAS calculates your GPA and sends it out which is anywhere from ~3-7 weeks. Any new information that gets added to your application after you submit (letters, PCAT scores, new transcripts) is forwarded to the schools you pick.

Submit early and make sure your PCAT CID is in there.
What do you mean by "submit application"? Because I know that LORs will come later than what I initially can put in my application, like my planned fall classes, experience, etc. And what if I get a new job, will I be able to update my application? One more question!( sorry) Do I HAVE to have a pharmcas profile made before I take the PCAT? Or can I wait until August to create one and pharmcas can then match up my pcat scores, which are going to be sent to pharmcas anyways, with my application?