Official 2014-2015 Endocrinology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How competitive is endocrinology ???

It is not, buyer's market. Elite programs and desirable cities will always be somewhat competitive, but you can easily secure a spot somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Endo_2015, looks like we both joined SDN specifically for the application cycle. Good luck! T-minus 9 days until we can submit.

How many programs are people applying to? Any current Endocrine fellows with tips on how many programs one should choose and whether you went to all of your interviews? Any programs to be cautious about?

Hi K , good to see someone in the same boat !!! i am geographically restricted to the east coast , so will be applying to approx 30 pgms, Also i still am looking for more tips to apply !!!
Good Luck to you as well !!

Hi guys, Add me to the list of people applying this year. No geographic restriction for me. Right now I'm thinking of applying to ~20 programs, but that number could go up or down.

Sounds like we're all in the same boat, because I also dont have a great feel for my success/failure rate (yeah, yeah... I know its based on the competitiveness of the applicant/programs, but it would be nice to have a general idea). Not many endocrine applicants from my neck of the woods so I'm left guessing.

Hey you guys, I decided to weigh in as I was in your situation a year ago and I wished more people from the year before would have given us more insight. I applied to 15-17 programs, I only went on 7 interviews( it will become difficult as times may overlay). I mainly applied in the South. I ranked all 7 programs but ended up at my #2. My #1 was really competitive as I suspect that everyone who interviewed there ranked them #1. As stated above, its not that competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, Add me to the list of people applying this year. No geographic restriction for me. Right now I'm thinking of applying to ~20 programs, but that number could go up or down.

Sounds like we're all in the same boat, because I also dont have a great feel for my success/failure rate (yeah, yeah... I know its based on the competitiveness of the applicant/programs, but it would be nice to have a general idea). Not many endocrine applicants from my neck of the woods so I'm left guessing.
What is important in the end is not # of applied programs but # of interviews, and it's really a crapshoot. The programs are so small and some may be taking more internal candidates than others. What we do know from charting outcomes is that the average matched endocrine candidate had 4-6 interviews/ranks, and the average unmatched had 2-3.

Any DO's here who are applying for Endo this year or have applied in the previous years? I am open to locations, but I would prefer the East Coast. What are some program you recommend applying to, or not applying to? Thanks

Hey, applied today, How long do you think it will take to the programs to download our applications and start sending responses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that was quick!! Tell us a lil bit about yourself scores, publications etc.

can anyone share with us : which endocrinology programs are clinical and which are research fellowships?

My scores are not impressive at all around 210-220 nothing crazy... I was super surprised with the prompt interview. I do have 5 publications in Endocrine/DM journals and have had abstracts in all national meetings at the ADA since 2012. And lots of community service at ADA Events and Also worked for governement grant applications for DM in my hospital, so maybe that did it?

still waiting for letters to show up .... should I apply without them ????

I'm surprised Emory already send out interviews.
I checked and they haven't even downloaded my application...
No interviews today.
Most programs haven't even downloaded my application.
At least it is not showing on ERAS.

@McLovin23 I was surprised too, not sure how to see if programs have download the application yet. all programs seem to have it available since the day of application, except for some that say "Do not retrieved yet " not sure what this means.

Best of lucks to everybody!!

UNMC sent me a message on ERAS acknowledging receipt of application. No IVs yet

I believe that when a program downloads your application the dates and times next to the documents appear kind of grayed out.
You will also notice different dates and times compared to when you submitted your application.

Sounds confusing, but hope it makes sense.
Good Luck!

first interview University of wisconsin,madison , am super excited

Reactions: 1 users
Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
(They called )

Last edited:
I got an interview from Emory as well on 7/16 and one from Madison, WI today (invitation, not scheduled yet). They had not received my third LOR and still gave a date. Endo_2015 based on that I would go ahead and apply and then upload your letters when able

P.S. thanks for the input Endocrinology14

another interview from henry ford, they called me on my cell phone, am so excited

can anyone share with us : which endocrinology programs are clinical and which are research fellowships?
generally the 2 yr programs are clinical and the 3 year prorgams are research based. you can go to the program's website and they will give you an idea of what each year entails...

Nothing over the weekend, hopefully this weekwill be when more programs start sending invites

Last edited:
This is were we are as a group a week after:

Invites from:

Emory (7/16)
Henry Ford (7/18)
University of Wisconsin (Madison) (7/18)

Acknowledge receipt:

UNMC (7/17)

Rejections:
?

Please update

Last edited:
I got an interview from Henry Ford as well , and a rejection from Beth Israel Deaconess.

This is were we are as a group a week after:

Invites from:

Emory (7/16)
Henry Ford (7/18)

Acknowledge receipt:

UNMC (7/17)

Rejections:

Beth Israel Deaconess (7/21)?

Please update

me also rejection from Beth Israel Deaconess yesterday

2 Interviews so far.

Univ. of Wisconsin
Albert Einstein in Philly

No rejections.

Does anyone know when people started getting interviews last year?

Invites from:

Emory (7/16)
Henry Ford (7/18)
Albert Einstein Philly (7/22)

Acknowledge receipt:

UNMC (7/17)

Rejections:

Beth Israel Deaconess (7/21)?
University of Washington Seattle (7/23)

Please update

Hi guys, I have mainly applied to philly programs. I see that someone got an IV from albert Einstein philly , I don't know if this is normal but they have not yet downloaded my application. Is anyone in the same boat? Also all my programs except one has not downloaded my application.

Hey guys,so I applied to 70+ programs this year (everywhere) on the 16th (2nd day) but still to get a single rejection or invite.Just wondering why,as some of the places people got invites/rejections from are places I applied to.All I have so far is the acknowledgement from Uni of Nebraska,so I know at least some of my applications are going through.Also how do we know if our application has been downloaded-is it the dates in gray or the dates in black?

Its the date in gray that means that your application has been downloaded by the program.

Did u apply to philly programs ? Did they download your application?

The Gray doesn't mean anything, I have interviews and rejections from programs already and it's still not gray, programs have a software, that downloads all applications at once. The date and time, is the time that the program downloaded all the applications, it doesn't mean they have looked at it.

Oh really I didn't know that. I thought gray means that they have downloaded it. This means that all my applications are downloaded. ok then I am still waiting for IVs and rejections :) Thank you for clearing that for me