Official 2022-2023 Allergy & Immunology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Adding Rutgers and U wash!
Interview Invites
7/20: App downloadable to programs
7/21: Mayo MN (P)
7/22: MCG (P)
7/25: Vanderbilt (IM)
7/26: Stanford Phone Interview (all apps), UCSF Secondary (all apps), Wisconsin (P)
7/28: Uni of Cincinnati (IM), UPMC (IM/P), Penn State (IM)
7/29: NIH (P), Yale (P/IM), Ohio State (P/IM), Children's Michigan (P)
8/1: UVA (P), Albany (IM), Rush (IM)
8/3: Arizona-Tucson (IM), U of R (IM/P)
8/4: Northwestern (IM), Wash U St. Louis (IM/P), Cincinnati Children's (P)
8/5: Buffalo (IM/P), UC Irvine (P/IM), Henry Ford
8/8: UPenn (IM), Mayo AZ (P/IM), Boston Children's (P), Arkansas (P), U Boston (IM)
8/9: UT Southwestern (IM)
8/10: U Arizona (IM), CC (IM), NJH (IM), Duke (P/IM) U Missouri-Kansas (IM), Iowa (P), Emory (P)
8/12: Colorado Children's (P), U of Michigan (IM/P), Brown (P)
8/15: Brigham and Women's Hosp (P), CHOP (P), Northwestern/Lurie Children's (P)
8/16: Boston Children's Hospital (P), Johns Hopkins (IM)
8/17: John Hopkins (P), Memorial healthcare system (IM)
8/18: UCLA/VA (IM), UW (IM)
8/19: Mass Gen Hospital (P), Scripps (IM), Jefferson (IM), UTMB (IM/P)
8/22: Albany (IM)
8/23: UCSF (IM)
8/24: UCSD (IM/P)
8/25: Baylor (P/IM)
8/26: S Florida Morsani (IM), UNC (P/IM)
8/29: LSU Shreveport (P), Kaiser LA (P/IM), NJH Peds Track
8/31: NSLIJ (P)
9/1: Montefiore (IM), Jefferson (IM)
9/8: Rutgers (IM)
9/9: U wash (IM)

Official Rejection Email
8/11: UC Davis (IM)
8/18: National Jewish (P)
9/7: Uni of Nebraska

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm so surprised interviews are still trickling in, I assumed by now all the invites would be out

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from UCLA, USC, or Stanford for an official interview yet?

I think some of the previous posters had said they already received interviews from UCLA. I received an invite from USC. Stanford said they'd give out invites late August/early September, so I am guessing they have given out invites but not sent out a rejection letter yet.

I think some of the previous posters had said they already received interviews from UCLA. I received an invite from USC. Stanford said they'd give out invites late August/early September, so I am guessing they have given out invites but not sent out a rejection letter yet.
When did USC come out? Also, any news from UCSF peds? I know IM came out.

Adding USC, UCSF.

Interview Invites
7/26: Stanford Phone Interview (all apps), UCSF Secondary (all apps), Wisconsin (P)
8/8: UPenn (IM), Mayo AZ (P/IM), Boston Children's (P), Arkansas (P), U Boston (IM)
8/10: U Arizona (IM), CC (IM), NJH (IM), Duke (P/IM) U Missouri-Kansas (IM), Iowa (P), Emory (P)
9/7: USC (P)
9/12: UCSF (P)

Official Rejection Email
8/30: MGH (P)

Are thank you emails expected after interviews like they were for residency? Or is the clue that they don't offer faculty emails unless you ask? Some interviews have you talking to 7-8 people, which seems a bit too much for emails to everyone, especially since the conversations tend to be similar.
Also wondering this same thing if anybody has thoughts about this!

Also wondering this same thing if anybody has thoughts about this!

Had my second interview today and spoke to almost 9 people. I haven’t yet sent out any thank you emails. Already feel so tired thinking about sending it 🥹

Had my second interview today and spoke to almost 9 people. I haven’t yet sent out any thank you emails. Already feel so tired thinking about sending it 🥹
I feel like all my thank you emails sound the same? Also, there's no way I can keep track of what specifically I talked about with one interviewer vs. the next since there often isn't even a break to jot down notes in between and they just blur. So mine haven't been personalized much. Hope they don't care :shrug:

How many interviews do we need to be ensured a match? I've heard 8 but I also heard 10 to 12.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe last years thread said that 10 has a 98-99%chance of matching

Adding USF/Hopkins All Children's rejection lol (assuming those who got invited, were invited that date)

Interview Invites

Official Rejection Email
9/15: USF/Hopkins All Children's (P)

What do you guys think of working at a peds predominant program as an IM trained physician? The program normally claims to have 20-30% adult clinic, with the opportunity to do adult electives to get more exposure to adult AI. Goal is most probably private practise.

I just need to vent. There are quite a few east coast programs that are not being cognizant of time differences (aka a 7:30 AM start to an interview out east sounds great, but if you're interviewing and you're on PCT, that's a 4:30 AM start). Has anyone had success reaching out to programs regarding this?

What do you guys think of working at a peds predominant program as an IM trained physician? The program normally claims to have 20-30% adult clinic, with the opportunity to do adult electives to get more exposure to adult AI. Goal is most probably private practise.
I was a little concerned about this as well-I would be afraid of feeling uncomfortable with not being able to handle what walked through my door, especially in private practice. Maybe in the academic world, you'd have more support? I spoke to a couple fellows who went through programs like this (and the opposite), and their response was basically "try to avoid it unless you will flat out refuse to see group X patients," which might be easier said than done in private practice.

I was a little concerned about this as well-I would be afraid of feeling uncomfortable with not being able to handle what walked through my door, especially in private practice. Maybe in the academic world, you'd have more support? I spoke to a couple fellows who went through programs like this (and the opposite), and their response was basically "try to avoid it unless you will flat out refuse to see group X patients," which might be easier said than done in private practice.

Yeah makes sense. Just that the program is pretty nice with regard to other things. Thank you!

Last edited:
I just need to vent. There are quite a few east coast programs that are not being cognizant of time differences (aka a 7:30 AM start to an interview out east sounds great, but if you're interviewing and you're on PCT, that's a 4:30 AM start). Has anyone had success reaching out to programs regarding this?

To do what? Change the entire day schedule to accommodate one applicant? I personally wouldn't reach out to a program to request accommodations. It does really suck but at least you're in your own home.

Last edited:
Has anyone interviewed at Washu in St. Louis and can give an insight into what the case conference is... Is it a case conference discussion between applicants?

Has anyone interviewed at Washu in St. Louis and can give an insight into what the case conference is... Is it a case conference discussion between applicants?
It’s more for the department but applicants are welcome to chime in. I think it’s like any other noon conference/didactic. On my day, some interviewees asked questions but then the faculty took over to discuss the case in much more detail. No pressure :)

Also team, has Stanford and UCLA just ghosted us? I know they are notorious for late interviews but come on.

Last edited:
It’s more for the department but applicants are welcome to chime in. I think it’s like any other noon conference/didactic. On my day, some interviewees asked questions but then the faculty took over to discuss the case in much more detail. No pressure :)

Also team, has Stanford and UCLA just ghosted us? I know they are notorious for late interviews but come on.
I do think UCLA and Stanford have not sent invites yet haha.

Adding Kansas university
Interview Invites
9/18: Kansas university (IM)

Official Rejection Email
9/15: USF/Hopkins All Children's (P)[/QUOTE]

How's everyone doing so far on your interviews? I feel like a lot of programs offer great training. When it comes to ranking many places, outside of personal ties to a place, I feel that it will come down to the subtleties of how the people portray themselves and how they talk to you. I wonder how much weight I should be giving to that though. Do others have the same idea?

How's everyone doing so far on your interviews? I feel like a lot of programs offer great training. When it comes to ranking many places, outside of personal ties to a place, I feel that it will come down to the subtleties of how the people portray themselves and how they talk to you. I wonder how much weight I should be giving to that though. Do others have the same idea?
I agree. I'm 8 interviews in and it's really hard to gauge a program with the limited time we have. I initially tried to find the nuances of programs (call schedule, travel, etc.) but it's just starting to blend all together. For residency, I found this website where it presents two options and you can clinic between the two and then it spits out a ranking list for you. I just did it over and over until it felt right and the list stayed the same. All we have to go with is our gut and at the end of the day, we (hopefully) get to go into allergy :D!

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely, I think you end up having to go by your gut feeling. I had a program that was my prospective first rank and then this elderly attending said this very misogynistic thing in front of all the staff and interviewees and I’m definitely not ranking them first anymore.

How bad is it to tell a program you really wanna be at that you are gonna rank them first? Is there anyway it could hurt me to tell them that? Like can they put me lower on the rank list because of that? I wouldn’t be lying to them. I’m really going to rank them first.

How bad is it to tell a program you really wanna be at that you are gonna rank them first? Is there anyway it could hurt me to tell them that? Like can they put me lower on the rank list because of that? I wouldn’t be lying to them. I’m really going to rank them first.
Whenever I figure out where I want to go, I will be letting the program know that they're my first rank :) So I don't think it will hurt you at all. And it helps them know also who wants to go there, imo. The worst is if you tell a program early on that they're your number 1 and then they end up NOT being your number 1, that would be bad.

I agree that it cannot hurt to tell the program you're ranking them first as long as you actually are! (And you only email that top program saying you're ranking them first.) I cannot imagine why them knowing that would make them want to rank you lower :)

Also, has anybody applying from peds heard back University of Washington or Stanford yet ?

I agree that it cannot hurt to tell the program you're ranking them first as long as you actually are! (And you only email that top program saying you're ranking them first.) I cannot imagine why them knowing that would make them want to rank you lower :)

Also, has anybody applying from peds heard back University of Washington or Stanford yet ?
I'm peds! And I have not heard back from either :/ though I am pretty sure Stanford hasn't sent out any invites yet (same with UCLA main track, don't think they've sent out invites).

Stanford invite for IM today!

Interview Invites
9/22: Stanford (IM)

Official Rejection Email

Thank you everybody for the updates! Also I heard that the program director for the UCLA peds track has been reaching out to selected applicants to schedule a phone call (prior to interview)

Thank you everybody for the updates! Also I heard that the program director for the UCLA peds track has been reaching out to selected applicants to schedule a phone call (prior to interview)
Have you heard of that happening this cycle or last cycle?

Have you heard of that happening this cycle or last cycle?
I just spoke to my friend at a different peds program who told me that somebody in her class (apparently also applying into AI) got a call from the UCLA PD this past week?

Adding UCLA and Columbia

Interview Invites
9/6: UCLA (P)
9/26: NYP-Columbia (P)

Official Rejection Email

I would keep these thoughts and sentiments to yourself and not say anything to programs. When I interviewed for fellowship, I had to fly across the country for some interviews. So I'd squeeze some time off during residency, typically fly in at night, get to a hotel, try and get some sleep, make sure my suit was wrinkle free, have some hotel hold my baggage, etc. and then fly out the afternoon of the interview. If I would have heard some applicant complain when I was a fellow, I'd have laughed about it with the faculty and I'm sure we'd rank them low. Like what...you slept in your own bed last night and had to wake up early and interview on zoom? ...cmon. At my program, almost all of the applicants we invited for interview were impressive. We were basically looking for any low hanging fruit to rule out applicants. The rise of virtual interviews has made things messy. The best applicants are accepting way too many interviews and marginalizing the lower end of the pool. Programs are benefiting in terms of match rates but it also makes it difficult to choose the best fit. Before zoom interviews, most applicants couldn't do much more than 10 interviews unless they lived in a program-dense city or were chiefs or something that allowed them a lot of schedule flexibility. When a program is interviewing 20+ people for 2 spots, they are basically looking for any reason to cross someone off the list...even seemingly insignificant stuff.

I hope everyone is doing well and taking care of yourself in this process.

I wanted to ask if anyone has had success with letter of interest? From prior threads, it appears that most programs do not send out additional invites after the first wave. If you have been successful, would you provide us with some guidance on how you wrote the letter? Thanks!

Anyone have any insight about the differences between the Harvard Med-affiliated programs: Brigham, Boston Children's, and Mass Gen re culture, quality of life, and overall vibes? I didn't train in the area and have never really effed with said programs during my medical education. Feel free to PM me as well!

I hope everyone is doing well and taking care of yourself in this process.

I wanted to ask if anyone has had success with letter of interest? From prior threads, it appears that most programs do not send out additional invites after the first wave. If you have been successful, would you provide us with some guidance on how you wrote the letter? Thanks!

I did send a handful number of letter of interests earlier in the season and got around 4-5 interviews that way. This was back in July-beginning of August. One of the programs responded now saying they don’t have spots, but will call me if someone cancels. At this point it’s only spots from people cancelling that will lead to interviews I feel. Other than the 2-3 programs that may not have sent out interviews yet.

Adding St. Louis University

Interview Invites
9/6: UCLA (P)
9/26: NYP-Columbia (P)
10/3: SLU (IM)

Official Rejection Email

for anyone who has been reapplying this year, where/how have you been able to find clinical research positions as a resident who just graduated? Curious if you found it helpful/worth it?

Most people I’ve met who have finished residency have been Hospitalists at academic hospitals and have been hooked up with the AI dept there for research

Did anyone interview at Rutgers? Considering cancelling the interview due to work commitments and wondering if I should work really hard to attend it.

How important is it to train at an institution close to the area you would like to end up in (would like to primarily be clinical after fellowship)? Is it better to choose a smaller known program closer to the area you'd like to end up -- or a better known program outside of the desired area?

I think that’s a tough question. If you do fellowship in a local area, there will be local conferences where you would meet other allergists in the area and be able to network for a job search later. But as a fellow from a better known program you may have a higher appeal to employers too. I would probably in your position go for the best training.

Hi everyone. Working ion ROL. Need suggestion on programs in order of training. Will appreciate any input.

Rush University
Uni of Conncinnati
Uni of Missouri Kansas City
Uni of Mississippi
Boston University
UTMB Texas
UC Irvine

Did anyone interview at Rutgers? Considering cancelling the interview due to work commitments and wondering if I should work really hard to attend it.
I think it depends what you're looking for. It's a very clinical program - most graduates go into private practice. At one of the sites, you get your own patients and control your schedule so plenty of time for continuity. It's very adult heavy 80/20. Research is mostly QI/QA. First and second year schedule the same meaning, no dedicated time for research second year. The interview day was a little unstructured for my liking. I didn't get an actual itinerary just you're meeting with these people over this 4hr period. I was too nervous to take breaks because I didn't know when to take a break, how long interviews were, when i'd be meeting with someone. It was a bit stressful for me. It seems a solid program but not what I was looking for.

Last edited: