Official 2022-2023 Allergy & Immunology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How important is it to train at an institution close to the area you would like to end up in (would like to primarily be clinical after fellowship)? Is it better to choose a smaller known program closer to the area you'd like to end up -- or a better known program outside of the desired area?
I think it's most important to train at a place where you will be happy. Prioritize that above all else. Really...I feel like people don't believe this. This might mean staying close to home but probably depends what stage of life you're in and where home is. Personally, I was young enough for undergrad and med school that I would have traveled anywhere. As a fellow, I was married and starting a family so things like being close to family, cost of a comfortable living, etc. become important.

Reputation of where you train is probably not as big a deal in our field as it is in some. There aren't really poorly regarded community programs or anything like that in A/I. Pretty much all fellowships are at academic centers or solid academic/community hybrids like Scripps, Mayo, or national jewish. Among those, some are more clinical and some are more academic. Some programs that don't have fancy names actually offer solid, balanced clinical exposure and teach better "real world" allergy. Some academic power houses prioritize research, skew peds vs adults, or prioritize hardcore clinical immuno above others. If you wanted to stay in academics, then go for pedigree and research exposure. If you want to do private practice, prioritize clinical training.

As far as training where you want to eventually work, that's hard to say. If academics is your goal, then absolutely you are more likely to stay on at the institution where you train since you will be starting projects and working with mentors while there. If PP is the goal, it's probably not as important. I trained in a totally different state from where I currently practice. I did grow up where I practice though, so had plenty of ties to the area. If you know where you want to work, you can start applying for jobs early in fellowship. I think practices are looking for the right fit more than anything else. Sure, if you trained at a well known place, that has brand recognition... but I don't think anyone is passing someone up simply because they trained at University of X vs U of Y. Local connections can help if you're a good fellow because there's a good chance docs at your institution know docs in the community. ....but don't be surprised how locked in a bubble the academics people are -- some of them have never been in private practice, know very little about it, and most of the docs they a/w are also in academics. In PP, fit matters and lots of the BS that got you into med school, residency, and fellowship may not matter as much. It's a business...we want good clinical outcomes, happy patients, no drama, and efficient work flow. The partners in our practice come from various programs around the country and other groups in town are similar. There is one group in town that has the majority of its docs from the same training program but I don't know if that's coincidence or not. It also probably depends where you want to practice. If you want to practice in Denver, you've got like 7 fellows a year graduating in the area, might be tougher for an outsider than other locations. If you want to practice in a city that graduates like one fellow per year, probably less important.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Could someone clarify how inpatient service is different from consults? I see on the spreadsheet that U wash has an inpatient service. But on the interview day they told me that they are never primary team for any patients. Is there something I’m missing? Is that a bad or a good thing? And does it make the schedule more stressful?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone clarify how inpatient service is different from consults? I see on the spreadsheet that U wash has an inpatient service. But on the interview day they told me that they are never primary team for any patients. Is there something I’m missing? Is that a bad or a good thing? And does it make the schedule more stressful?
Inpatient A/I service and primary team usually mean the same thing. These can require H&Ps, regular rounding, progress notes, discharge summaries, day-to-day management, and increased need for fellow availability. I'm sure this is variable at different institutions based on how much residents and other non-fellow providers assist. There will also be consults.

This contrasts with a consult-only service where the responsibilities include only offering advice, seeing the patient (same day or another day), writing a consult note (or other kinds of recommendation notes).

I'm at a consult-only program so I'll defer to other fellows who have inpatient A/I services to speak to the schedules and benefits in training.

I have heard rumors of these inpatient services and it sounds terrible. Where I trained and most places I know of are consult only. We go in and see the patient and make recommendations. We generally do not place orders at all. We never did traditional rounding but some attendings (especially the clinical immuno doc) would ask the fellow to go and see the patient in person periodically while admitted and leave a progress note. Most consults were one and done. I don't know why anyone would want to train at a program with an inpatient service unless you were especially interested in clinical immuno and planning on being very involved in transplanting and comprehensively managing PID patients.

I clarified with other people who interviewed at U wash, and doesn’t seem like that’s the case. At least not right now. Not sure if they did that in the past.

I clarified with other people who interviewed at U wash, and doesn’t seem like that’s the case. At least not right now. Not sure if they did that in the past.
My understanding was that UW does have an inpatient service (I think inpatient peds immunology), but there are also residents that assist with the team. But maybe I understand incorrectly, might be good to clarify if this is a dealbreaker for you.

Need help deciding between buffalo, case western and tuscan. any thoughts?

I didn’t interview with case western. It must be a good program? So maybe CW>buffalo>U Arizona Tucson (I’m guessing that’s the program you meant)

Are Letters of Intent a thing for fellowship? Has anyone sent one already or planning to?

Are Letters of Intent a thing for fellowship? Has anyone sent one already or planning to?
Wouldn't hurt.

If I was PD, why wouldn't I want to hear an applicant genuinely interested in my program. I can't imagine a world where that will drop you down on a rank list....unless it is to the wrong program lol.

Almost to the finish line my friends.

I'm having a hard time ranking 2yr vs 3 yr programs because frankly I'm not 100% the career I want/I see myself moving around. Unfortunately, Most of the strong program I interviewed at are 3 yrs. I assume fellows can't just bounce after 2 years even if you meet acgme requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good morning...

I am ECFMG certified IMG who did internal medicine residency and allergy immunology fellowship in my home country... Is it possible to apply for Acgme A/I fellowship without American board of internal medicine?

Are you aware of any programs that could offer Non-ACGME fellowship even it its for one year duration?

I appreciate your input and advice...
THANKS

Don’t think it’s possible to do fellowship here in AI without residency here. A research year may be an option. This is my understanding. I could be wrong. AI is competitive for people who have trained in the US. Don’t see how they would take someone who has trained elsewhere when there are people who trained here.

I'm having a hard time ranking 2yr vs 3 yr programs because frankly I'm not 100% the career I want/I see myself moving around. Unfortunately, Most of the strong program I interviewed at are 3 yrs. I assume fellows can't just bounce after 2 years even if you meet acgme requirements?
Most of the programs I interviewed had 3rd as optional that you could decide on after starting the fellowship. I guess if the program is offering mandatory 3 years, not as optional, you would have to complete it. But I could be wrong.

Good morning...

I am ECFMG certified IMG who did internal medicine residency and allergy immunology fellowship in my home country... Is it possible to apply for Acgme A/I fellowship without American board of internal medicine?

Are you aware of any programs that could offer Non-ACGME fellowship even it its for one year duration?

I appreciate your input and advice...
THANKS
I know IMGs can apply for some other ACGME fellowships like Nephrology/ID without ABIM/residency here. That should stand true for allergy and immunology, but you have to have an ECFMG certificate and USMLE completed to apply for the fellowship.
Also, I think it will be difficult to get an AI fellowship, since it's competitive, on the other hand, each year several spots go unfilled for some of the noncompetitive fellowships where chances would be higher.

Mandatory three years is not common. When you say "most" of the programs you interviewed at, how many are you talking? There are more programs that offer or try to sell fellows on a third year. Although, my understanding is that basically means you will be applying for funding and attempting to start a research/academic career. The third year is meant to develop academic faculty, ideally with a research focus and not just clinical. I would be careful how you define "strong" programs as this doesn't always correlate with the research heavy, Ivy League type places. I would only commit to a three year program if you are nearly certain that you will be staying in academics. Keep in mind that many academic institutions will hire their in-house graduating fellow and help them develop an academic career anyway...except they are getting paid and treated like an attending once they come on as faculty...unlike a third year fellow. If you are leaning toward private practice or on the fence, I would recommend ranking programs that offer good, balanced clinical training without too much of a research expectation. With A/I, the clinical part of fellowship is easy. The part that makes your quality of life ****ty is research expectations, giving talks frequently, journal clubs, and other academic assignments (at least from the limited opinions of myself and those I know in the field).

Some super specialized academic centers are disconnected from what the vast majority of A/I practice is like. The entire infrastructure of where and how they practice does not extrapolate well to the real world and even other academic institutions. So the way they practice things like food or drug allergy may not have practical application outside of that system. Hopefully, fellows there are trained in both practical and academic approaches to these types of issues.

All the best for match day, guys! May we all get our top programs!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Im a USDO PGY1 at one of the lesser Ivys (trying to stay anonymous) so would say upper-mid tier academic program. I have 250+ Step scores and 6 pubs so far (2 book chapters, 2 lit reviews, 2 abstracts presented at AAAAI). What are my chances matching at Duke, Stanford, Vandy, Yale, Northwestern or UCLA? No home program but strong mentorship from Allergy dept at my program and a mentor from another academic program (mid tier but he has a lot of research output and i would say strong connections). Reason I am asking is if the DO will hold me back at these places? How much more research should I shoot for? What type of things should I focus on? Abstracts and presentations at conferences?

Hi Im a USDO PGY1 at one of the lesser Ivys (trying to stay anonymous) so would say upper-mid tier academic program. I have 250+ Step scores and 6 pubs so far (2 book chapters, 2 lit reviews, 2 abstracts presented at AAAAI). What are my chances matching at Duke, Stanford, Vandy, Yale, Northwestern or UCLA? No home program but strong mentorship from Allergy dept at my program and a mentor from another academic program (mid tier but he has a lot of research output and i would say strong connections). Reason I am asking is if the DO will hold me back at these places? How much more research should I shoot for? What type of things should I focus on? Abstracts and presentations at conferences?

I think you are already in a pretty good spot. I’m not sure how hard it is for DOs, but I would try to go for the spark/chrysalis project, and do an away elective at one of the above programs if possible. More presentations/research would definitely help as well.

I think you are already in a pretty good spot. I’m not sure how hard it is for DOs, but I would try to go for the spark/chrysalis project, and do an away elective at one of the above programs if possible. More presentations/research would definitely help as well.
Is crysalis for PGYs? thougjt was only for M4s who are considering allergy. Thanks for your input!!

Is crysalis for PGYs? thougjt was only for M4s who are considering allergy. Thanks for your input!!

I applied for chrysalis as a PGY1 I think, and attended as a PGY-2

chrysalis and spark are for residents and medical students, although they don't seem to want pgy3s that have already applied and basically made their choice. ideally, they want to recruit those who are considering allergy.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone who matched!!

Congratulations everyone that matched! I just want to throw in my 2 cents now that match day has come and gone and had some time to process things, especially since these forums have been helpful for me in the past. For anyone who is thinking of applying in the future, allergy/immunology is a great field. If you have an interest, make connections with people in the field, especially in programs that you would want to train at early and often will help tremendously. Research is highly valued in the field and will set you up for success in making you a competitive applicant. I got 4 letters of recommendation. My interviewers frequently told me that my letters were really good. The interviews were mostly very conversational. Most of the time I talked about research and the time flew by. The virtual interviews were mostly half days with some that were full days. I had between 3-9 interviews each time. Overall, the field is small and programs want to feel like you are a good fit- someone they like talking to on interview day and will want to work with in the future; and you are also smart, driven, and have a genuine interest in the field.

I won’t disclose my stats to keep some anonymity but my step scores were above average. I’m a US MD from a program without an allergy program. I received several RTM calls and matched at my #1 program. Best of luck to anyone else who will be applying in the future and congrats to those again who matched!

As an IMG who didn’t personally know anyone else applying into allergy and who did not know much about the field, reading the previous years threads were really helpful. Hence I wanted to share my experience.

I’m an IM resident at a community program with a strong allergy dept, ( have several attendings, some of whom are very active with clinical research) but no fellowship. Met a wonderful mentor, did a couple of projects with my program, presented several posters and also an oral abstract, was able to attend AAAAI as part of chrysalis project, did an away elective, got 1 letter from my mentor (which many interviewers told me was really strong), one from away elective place, 1 from PD and one from clinic attending. My step scores are in late 240s.

I applied very widely (Im not really limited by geography) as I was very apprehensive of not matching. Really did not want to do Hospitalist job! I got 17 invites, attended 15 and ranked all. Matched at my first choice (the very place I did my away elective at).

Allergy is a small field, once you get involved you meet the same people again and again. Everyone is wonderful and supportive. I was able to show my interest by doing all the things I did and my interviewers were impressed by all the things I had accomplished in a year. Several of my projects weren’t published and are still ongoing, but we were able to have great conversations about them, which really helped. Excited to start fellowship in July! Looking forward to not being the “primary team” anymore. Congrats to everyone else who matched and I would be happy to answer any questions.

Edited: to add more details

Last edited: