Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gut Onc and other forum seniors,
Once you get an interview, does it matter where you were on the program's pre interview rank list (based on how you look on paper0 OR its all based on how you perform in the interview after that.
thanks for input

Members don't see this ad.

I have been asked about where else I am interviewing in most interviews.
One interviewer even asked me how many kids I have. I am sure that's not a legal question....but what ever. I am over it now

what's wrong with asking how many kids you have ? sounds like a pretty benign question to me and maybe he/she was just trying to learn more about you outside of work.

Gut Onc and other forum seniors,
Once you get an interview, does it matter where you were on the program's pre interview rank list (based on how you look on paper0 OR its all based on how you perform in the interview after that.
thanks for input

look ...it's the same for programs as it is for applicants... when you get your interviews and even before you start going to them, you always have some kind of general idea on how you would rank them ... not uncommonly, that list changes after interviewing. Same for programs, they have a general idea on how each applicant would fall on their rank list (high, mid, safety net..etc). but it also happens that they interview somebody who on paper they think is a superstar but he turns out to be a sociopath or douche or somehow nobody likes him during the interview so he gets knocked down to the bottom of the list or maybe not ranked at all. on the other hand, they might interview somebody who barely got the interview invite but he expresses himself well during the interview and seems like a good fit for the program and everybody likes him that day and he is now ranked to match.
how often does that happen? I have no idea but I think it's variable each year and for each program.

Reactions: 1 user
what's wrong with asking how many kids you have ? sounds like a pretty benign question to me and maybe he/she was just trying to learn more about you outside of work.

look ...it's the same for programs as it is for applicants... when you get your interviews and even before you start going to them, you always have some kind of general idea on how you would rank them ... not uncommonly, that list changes after interviewing. Same for programs, they have a general idea on how each applicant would fall on their rank list (high, mid, safety net..etc). but it also happens that they interview somebody who on paper they think is a superstar but he turns out to be a sociopath or douche or somehow nobody likes him during the interview so he gets knocked down to the bottom of the list or maybe not ranked at all. on the other hand, they might interview somebody who barely got the interview invite but he expresses himself well during the interview and seems like a good fit for the program and everybody likes him that day and he is now ranked to match.
how often does that happen? I have no idea but I think it's variable each year and for each program.

Yup, nothing wrong with it esp if the rest of the interview is benign with reasonable questions. Thats why I said i am over it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, nothing wrong with it esp if the rest of the interview is benign with reasonable questions. Thats why I said i am over it.
Well, unlike the "where else are you interviewing" question, this one could actually be viewed as illegal. And not just an NRMP rule violation but actual US non-discrimination law illegal. If you had been asked this question and not matched, you might have a legal case that you were discriminated against based on your family status. It probably wouldn't be worth the trouble on your part. But that doesn't make it OK.

I was wondering if I could get people's opinion on Moffitt vs Duke vs UCSF for heme malignancies?

Hi! How would you rank the following programs based on overall training-- Jefferson, Fox Chase, Rutgers, NYU and GWU? Thanks.

I would personally rank them as follows:
Rutgers
FCCC
NYU/Jeff (flip a coin)
GW

That said, there's no huge difference between those programs so if you rank based solely on your location preference it would be hard to find fault with that plan.

Gut onc can you please tell me your opinion regarding this: is it better to enter the Match with 2 programs with a high possibility of being labeled unmatched versus just withdrawing? Does being unmatched make reapplying difficult and decreases your chances in the future?

Gut onc can you please tell me your opinion regarding this: is it better to enter the Match with 2 programs with a high possibility of being labeled unmatched versus just withdrawing? Does being unmatched make reapplying difficult and decreases your chances in the future?
Your chance of matching if you withdraw is exactly 0%. Other than that, you're going to have to put on your big boy/girl pants and make your own decision.

Your chance of matching if you withdraw is exactly 0%. Other than that, you're going to have to put on your big boy/girl pants and make your own decision.
I understand, my real question is: does being unmatched make applying in subsequent years harder, does it affect you chances for interviews and matching later on?

I understand, my real question is: does being unmatched make applying in subsequent years harder, does it affect you chances for interviews and matching later on?
I think either way you'll be looked at as a repeat applicant since you'll be applying as an attending. So just go for the match you got nothing to lose!

I think either way you'll be looked at as a repeat applicant since you'll be applying as an attending. So just go for the match you got nothing to lose!
This. There's no flag in your ERAS file that says you're a re-applicant or didn't match previously. So whether you've applied previously or not, the assumption will be that you didn't match as an R3. Might as well take the chance of not having that problem.

I have an interest in academics and phase I trials. I am thinking of an experimental therapeutics fellowship. Is this something you suggest doing before fellowship... i dont have a lot of solid calls this year but i might end up somewhere if i put in my rank list. Im sure a lot of people are in the same situation...appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interest in academics and phase I trials. I am thinking of an experimental therapeutics fellowship. Is this something you suggest doing before fellowship... i dont have a lot of solid calls this year but i might end up somewhere if i put in my rank list. Im sure a lot of people are in the same situation...appreciate your thoughts.
Don't expect the experimental therapeutics fellowship to boost your chances going forward. They're looking for scut monkeys, plain and simple. You're better off doing a month or two of electives somewhere that has an Exp/Ther program during your fellowship.

Can you please look at my ROL, does it look good? I am confused at many points. I dont have any geographical preference, and I like malignant hem and would like to go into Academia: Thank you!

U of Minn
Tufts
Tulane
Medical College of Georgia
Henry Ford Hospital
UAMS

Can you please look at my ROL, does it look good? I am confused at many points. I dont have any geographical preference, and I like malignant hem and would like to go into Academia: Thank you!

U of Minn
Tufts
Tulane
Medical College of Georgia
Henry Ford Hospital
UAMS

I would probably go UMinny > Tufts > UAMS ~ MCG > Tulane ~ HFH

Forum seniors,
I was going to email my top choice that I will rank them no 1 . My 2 and 3 rd choice I was going to email them saying they will be among my top choices ( don't wanna lie and tell several programs they are no 1) . Do you think this could harm my chances since they would know they are not my no 1 choice.
In the end is it any benefit even sending such emails. I have heard reAlly conflicting opinions.
Thanks !

Obviously, my opinion shouldn't carry much weight since I'm not a program director...but I don't know about emailing the 2nd and 3rd choice with "among the top choices". It's like when a girl tells you "I don't want to date, but we should be friends." It may be better to keep quiet. Plus, it seems these sorts of emails are pretty much meaningless in terms of affecting your rank with the program.

I'd be curious to see what others think (and feel free to tell me if I am wrong)!

Reactions: 1 users
send your number one an email if you want .... it doesn't hurt... it doesn't help either ... it will only help you feel better ...

I'm not a PD but just think about it... if you're a PD and you interviewed an applicant and based on his CV and interview he/she falls somewhere on your rank list. then you get a love email from him/her later. why would you do anything different or change your rank list? given that he/she is honest and not sending the exact same email to 5 different programs (which I am sure happens all the time).

May I ask for opinion regarding the rank order for the programs below? I am looking at strong clinical training, not differentiated between heme vs onc. Thank you for any input!!

U Miami
U Tennessee
Tufts

Has anyone interview at University of Tennessee - Memphis? I have an interview coming up but not sure if I should go considering it will cost me $800 for flights, etc. It would be my 15th interview and don't think no matter what that I would rank it in my top 3....

May I ask for opinion regarding the rank order for the programs below? I am looking at strong clinical training, not differentiated between heme vs onc. Thank you for any input!!

U Miami
U Tennessee
Tufts

I think for your purposes there are no big differences. Rank based on location.

Has anyone interview at University of Tennessee - Memphis? I have an interview coming up but not sure if I should go considering it will cost me $800 for flights, etc. It would be my 15th interview and don't think no matter what that I would rank it in my top 3....

it's difficult to answer this question without knowing what your other interviews are ... but if you are positive it's not gonna make it to your #4 or #5 then it's not worth that sum of money.

it's difficult to answer this question without knowing what your other interviews are ... but if you are positive it's not gonna make it to your #4 or #5 then it's not worth that sum of money.
I don't even think it matters what your other programs are. Not worth the trouble or expense unless you really want to be in Memphis.

How are you guys ranking programs? Is there any scoring system out there that has helped candidates in the past?

So is there any benefit to letting my PD or APD call the PD of my top program or it's not worth it? is it gonna make them change their rank list? I'm thinking not
If they have a relationship with that person (and not just "met them at the PD meeting 2 years ago" but "co-investigators on a P01 together") then go for it.

How are you guys ranking programs? Is there any scoring system out there that has helped candidates in the past?
1. The program you liked the best
2. The program you liked the 2nd best
3. The program you liked the 3rd best
4....you get the idea

How did you do it for residency? Do it the same, only 3 years more maturely, now.

1. The program you liked the best
2. The program you liked the 2nd best
3. The program you liked the 3rd best
4....you get the idea

How did you do it for residency? Do it the same, only 3 years more maturely, now.
OMG you are hilarious !

I would probably go UMinny > Tufts > UAMS ~ MCG > Tulane ~ HFH

Thank you Niviancer! The reason I kept UAMS low is they dont have good malignant hem. Myeloma institute works separate amd fellows dont rotate there. I did not have very good impression of the program either. Do you think Tulane belongs below MCG? Thank you!

Dear seniors & colleagues:

I'm interested in doing malignant heme & to stay in academics. I like clinical/epidemiologic research. How would look at those institutions:

Iowa - Nebraska - Miami - UAMS - SLU - Mizzou - William Beaumont

Many thanks & appreciate the input

Dear seniors & colleagues:

I'm interested in doing malignant heme & to stay in academics. I like clinical/epidemiologic research. How would look at those institutions:

Iowa - Nebraska - Miami - UAMS - SLU - Mizzou - William Beaumont

Many thanks & appreciate the input
About like that. Might move Mizzou before UAMS but that's just because I would never live in Arkansas.

Hello,

I need a little help with the rank order list, no regional preference, would really appreciate if you could please advise. This is my current ROL :

1. University of Arizona, Tuscon
2. Wayne State University, Detroit
3. University of Tennessee, Memphis
4. Albert Einstein/Montefiore
5. University of Massachussets
6. Baylor, Houston
7. North Shore LIJ

Thank you very much !

Hello,

I need a little help with the rank order list, no regional preference, would really appreciate if you could please advise. This is my current ROL :

1. University of Arizona, Tuscon
2. Wayne State University, Detroit
3. University of Tennessee, Memphis
4. Albert Einstein/Montefiore
5. University of Massachussets
6. Baylor, Houston
7. North Shore LIJ

Thank you very much !
Unless you're ranking based on a combination of highest average daily temperature and lowest average daily humidity, AZ is waaaaaayyyyy too high on that list.

If it was my list:
Monte/UMass/Baylor (rank based on location here)
NSLIJ/Wayne State (Put WSU in the top tier if you care about Phase I/Dev Ther stuff)
UTenn/UAz

Hi,
I am a little confused on how to rank "Small University based programs" vs "Large community hospitals". Any thoughts on this list will be appreciated. No geographical preference as such.

- U Conn
- U Vermont
- Northshore LIJ
- Washington Hospital Center
- Houston Methodist
- Roger William Medical center

Thanks

Hi,
I am a little confused on how to rank "Small University based programs" vs "Large community hospitals". Any thoughts on this list will be appreciated. No geographical preference as such.

- U Conn
- U Vermont
- Northshore LIJ
- Washington Hospital Center
- Houston Methodist
- Roger William Medical center

Thanks

Dont know about others but Methodist seems to have its own research institute with plenty of funding , original phase I , II trials etc. That said i dont know about the research depth compared to Uconn or Uvermont.... i would place it below those two....

Hello all, anyone knows about NYMC program? Need opinion from seniors and fellows.

Hello all, anyone knows about NYMC program? Need opinion from seniors and fellows.

if you do a little bit of research on this very same thread you will find that this program was discussed a couple of times already. but anyway, it's a program in NYC with a strange schedule that gives benign hematology more than what it deserves for someone who wants to be an oncologist. what else are you looking to know?

Thank you Visari. I am interested in malignant hem, and academics. Thank you for the info.

I think Visari is talking about NYU. Regarding NYMC.. no one knows cuz that program is TINY and probably not good for academics

I think Visari is talking about NYU. Regarding NYMC.. no one knows cuz that program is TINY and probably not good for academics

Thanks! Yes I was talking about NYU. And I don't know anything about the other one. Sorry

Hi there. Looking for advice on MCW vs. Albert Einstein montefiore. I haven't decided btw heme vs. Onc yet. Thanks in advance!

Looking for advice/input on my rank list. My interest is in oncology (GU). I'm torn 50-50 between academics and community practice so looking for somewhere that will keep my options open, yet has strong clinical training, continuity clinic, as we well as won't shun you entirely should you decide to pursue community practice. Geographic preference would be to end up back in the midwest.

1 MD Anderson
2 Mayo Clinic
3 Vanderbilt
4 Wisconsin
5 Wash U
6 Northwestern
7 Johns Hopkins
8 Michigan
9 UPenn
10 UChicago

Also, when trying to get a community practice job, how much (if at all) does the fellowship program matter (or is it more important to have connections locally)?

Finally, in terms of academic jobs, from the above list, is the below accurate?
MDACC > [Hopkins = Penn] > Mayo > [Chicago = =Mich = NW = Vandy = Wisc = WashU]

Can someone shed some light on UPMC vs Vanderbilt?

I feel like both programs are in the process of rebuilding, UPMC more so than Vanderbilt.

Can anyone comment on this or anything else they know about these two programs? Wanting to do academics, undecided on solids vs liquids, location not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.