Official 2014-2015 Nephrology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pH 74:
You can certainly trust whoever you think you should. That does not mean not doing your homework
-Getting a job on J1 visa is a lot harder but with market saturation getting a job is harder for everyone, ask what the definition of a decent job is. You spend 2-3 more years to expect just a decent job ??
-Transplant nephrology is laughable and we discussed that before. You waste one more year in an already saturated field where you can only work in academic centers and a few private practices?? I saw in this forums people spending one more year in training just to weather the job market situation while they find a job.
-Interventional ?? We also discussed that here before. CMS cut down interventional revenue and is trying to cut even more just looked that post of mine somewhere. An interventional guy needs to be associated with a group otherwise you depend on other people for work, our interventional guys do great as we send them all of our patients but they also take calls, do office work , dialysis rounds as everybody else and earn the same salary depending where you are in your career. If you are independent dreaming of just doing interventional cases you need to scramble for patients and to compete with interventional radiologists and vascular surgeons for access work. The job you do is not exclusive of nephrologist, many people can do it. By the way none of our guys did interventional fellowship.
Slowdown in job market because CMS is confused ???? Will pick up soon?? Please tell him if we can borrow his crystal ball. When I interviewed years ago I was told things would improve in a couple of years , think she still gives the same message to the applicants.
Do not trust academics, they are the same ones that predicted an epidemic of CKD and ESRD and a huge need for nephrologists all over the place years ago. Academic places need the fellows and the cheap services they provide. They will never tell you the truth, is not in their interest.
Do not trust anybody, do your homework and make your own decisions. For me I am just tired of writing the same things over and over. Trust whoever you want!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am so confused now. I called my mentor who is nephrologist in academic setting.

Per him only people on J1 visa or from small community programs are having trouble finding jobs, other fellows are getting decent job offers

He also said do 1 more year of transplant or interventional nephrology and your chances of securing a job will increase.

He said this slowdown in nephrology job is only for 1 or 2 years as CMS is confused about dialysis payments and it will pick soon.

What do you guys think? How accurate is this information? After reading all this I don't know if I can trust anyone

I am telling you as a straight shooter, giving you an honest answer.

Never trust what your "mentor" in academics says.

These people in academics are at the very least not giving accurate information. At the most they are outright lying. It is up to you to discern the two.

That being said, lifetime academic people have never, ever had to look for a job in private practice, much less ever work in a job in private practice. Practicing in the Ivory Tower world of academics is immensely different from private practice, in multiple ways. They work very structured hours. They get a paycheck every two weeks. When they take call, there is a fellow who is really on the pager who gets all the calls at 2AM and 4 AM. I could go on and on about the differences.

Also, the academic mentor has a vested interest in you doing nephrology to staff their fellowship. They are not truly looking out for you.

If you go in to academics, yes they care where you did fellowship........big high power academic places are impressive. If you go in to private practice it doesn't matter at all where you trained. Your chances for a job are the same in private practice as a community vs from a big well known university program. Your "mentor" is wrong, just flat out wrong.

Transplants or interventional does not do anything for you in private practice. You are wasting an extra year if you are not going in to academics. Trust me on this one.

But hey, at the end of the day, it is your life and you will have to make decisions you will live with. You can learn from others if you choose to. Good luck.

this question is to all the practicing nephrologists regarding interventional experience.
interventional nephrologist who is performing invasive procedures , in addition to inpt rounding and other duties, has the same salary as general nephrologist.
So why people are going for interventional , if its not better reimbursed and has additional risks which comes with any invasive procedural specialty.

At the same time , is there any difference in reimbursement of procedures by interventional nephro vs IR , as apparently IR guys are well paid

Members don't see this ad :)
Interventional nephrology source of income

- Large groups own access center - Facility charges are ?were lucrative
- Actual procedure

Dont compare with IR - they do a whole lot more than interventional nephrology as we all know

Requirement( got this from an interventional nephrologist)
- Large dialysis patient group(Quoted minimum 800 per each interventional nephrologist) - How many groups have 800 dialysis patients in a geographically manageable area?
- Reimbursements are going down for procedures overall (cath/bronchs etc too)
- Very few practices have the numbers in terms of dialysis population needed
- Since AVF rate went up and now more than AVG - less likely to thrombose
- Intense competition from IR and vascular surgeons
- hospitals might limit you if you dont have your own center (they dont want you to compete with IR)

Still have to do regular nephrology in most cases

Having interventional might increase your chances of obtaining a nephrology job but the group should be able to support an access center/Staffing if one has to retain the skills.

very few training programs - some actually closed down in last 2-3 years

Completely agree
We can support that as we have >1000 dialysis pts and own the access center
Even with it our guys do procedures part time as still not enough volume to be exclusively dedicated to it so they have to do everything else (they are partners also)
Only thing to add is if you go independent
You need to set up an access center and getting it approved by health department etc
Paying your own staff
Buying / renting equipment which is worth hundreds of thousands
Paying your malpractice insurance which is very high given the potential liabilities etc
Best bet is to be hired by a group as it was said before

Anyone got IV from university of Michigan?

IV: Duke, Henry ford, Uof Rochester, Uof Chicago, Uof Tennessee, Cleveland

Request all the candidates.

In your interview please ask them -

why are you training so many ?
Why is nephrology so unpopular with AMGS ?
Why is nephrology least matched specialty?

You are in control/ demand - don't let the program dictate. You are joining a dying specialty - atleast join on your terms.

You are in control/ demand - don't let the program dictate. You are joining a dying specialty - atleast join on your terms.
Nephroexp
I read all of your posts. I have to admit that it made me thinking.
Of course when you compare compensation with other specialties, nephrology and ID are in the bottom. But what is considered enough? What will make a nephrologist happy regarding compensation?
We all know that big payment in big cities is not that good, but what about other states and suburbs ?

Some important facts to keep in mind when applying that your academic "mentors" and the program directors will never tell you:

1. Nephrology has become an FMG specialty, almost exclusively. This is not a knock on any FMG's, but it is a fact. This has been increasing every year over the last 10 years. A lot of the older nephrologists are AMG's, who went into the field back when they could have lucrative heydays. Those days are long gone. 99% of new nephrology grads now are FMG. AMG's now do card, GI, heme onc, pulm / CC...........they are not crazy enough to do nephrology.

2. The FMG's who go in to nephrology are often self selected into the field.....in other words, these are applicants who would have no chance matching into cardiology, heme / onc, GI, pulm / CC, etc. so they end up choosing nephrology because they want to specialize in something....anything....just to avoid being a hospitalist.....which leads to......

3. Don't think life as a hospitalist is so miserable doing admits and discharges and rounding that the grass will be greener as a nephrologist......the hospitalists will work many, many fewer hours a year, put a lot less wear and tear on their cars and save gas than you, and oh....the kicker.....make more a year than you do. They will go home a lot earlier than the nephrologist and will be able to turn their pager off.

4. Nephrology is not a lifestyle specialty. Not at all. You still have night call where every ESRD patient from your practice that goes to an ER will have the ER doc page you just to tell you the pt has a K of 5.6.......and that page will come at 3AM. This is not endocrinology or rheum that have "light" calls.
On weekends you will round on an exhorbitant number of patients......and oh on Saturday get paged about all the Saturday HD patients that look funny or have an abnormal vital sign during their HD session.
You will quite often start your day very early in the morning and end very end very late in the evening.

5. Nephrology is not a money making specialty. This is not your grandfathers nephrology. Those days are long gone. This is not interventional cardiology or GI.

6. Doing an extra year of transplant or interventional or research does nothing for you if you want to go into private practice. Wasting an extra year. You will still have to take call like everyone else and do general nephrology.

7. Jobs. Are there no jobs out there? Can't say that....but it is BUYER BEWARE. Will you be happy living in a rural area with cow pastures? Or even beware more of the jobs in the big cities. Why? Any job in a major metro area will get dozens of applicants for every opening. It is a sellers market. That being the case, the scenario ends up being a group with some older partners who hire fresh grads right out of fellowship that they pay very, very little and work very, very hard and make money off of them and exploit them. If you hear from your program director that their grads got a job in a major city.......that doesn't tell the whole story. Not all jobs are equal. There are a lot of crappy jobs in great cities where you get paid next to nothing and get exploited and work like a slave and bring in money to the partners who are getting rich off of you.

Good luck if this is REALLY what you want to get yourself into.

It's not just salary that's the issue.

Panhandling for consults
Being exploited by your older employer as he has no reason or intent to keep you in the group as supply line is producing 400/year
Constant sense of insecurity - what if this PMD or hosp stops giving me consults?
You can be fired or forced out of practice. With non competes you start all over again - takes time to build goodwill or relation with patients

I work 26/30 days (10-12 hr day)
Wake up every single night 3-4 times with multiple phone calls.
Clock > 80 miles day
Make 170k

My Hospitalist friend

Works 14 shifts per 28 days
Sees 16-18 patients ( if busy he will ask consultants to discharges or anything he does not want to take care of!)
260 k pay and he does 3-4 extra 1400 per shift
Drives zero other than getting to work
Gets sleep uninterrupted
Leaves his pager at work !!!
Solid job security
Most decide to quit on their terms
No need to build a practice. Work comes to them !!

Psych block stops me from leaving Nephro.

Is it unreasonable to expect a pay atleast the same or higher than Hospitalist ? With a lifestyle that I mentioned above.

Most states and places nnew nephrology grads will make 1/2-2/3 of what a Hospitalist makes

If you are Hospitalist, don't use nephrology as ur parachute to jump off, it won't deploy!!!

If you think I have unreasonable expectations, welcome to nephrology as you will get a spot and then join us on the other side.

Last edited:
Not all nephrology fellows are FMGs and nor are they less competitive that those who are doing PCCM or cards.

Last edited:
Nephroexp
I read all of your posts. I have to admit that it made me thinking.
Of course when you compare compensation with other specialties, nephrology and ID are in the bottom. But what is considered enough? What will make a nephrologist happy regarding compensation?
We all know that big payment in big cities is not that good, but what about other states and suburbs ?

ID has more jobs and better lifestyle than nephrology.

I am summarizing what recent graduates have said in this forum

Truth vs Myth

Myth: You will have difficulty getting a job only if you need a visa or if you train at less known programs
Truth: Poor job market for all , worse for visa holders. Doesn't matter where you train.

Myth: spending an extra year in Interventional or Transplant makes you more marketable
Truth: you waste one year without any significant benefits

Myth: Lifestyle is better than hospitalist
Truth: you work more and earn less

Myth: Job market is slow because CMS is deciding on dialysis payments, it will get better when I graduate
Truth: there is a huge backlog of graduates who are still looking for job. Even if the market improves slightly, competitive will get worse each year. Exploitation of new graduates will increase with shrinking opportunities

Myth: My mentor knows the best about "real" scenario after graduation
Truth: They have a little idea about the true situation. Some of them will not tell you truth even if they knew the real situation

Myth: I should do what I am passionate about. Money, lifestyle and job opportunities are secondary factors
Truth: Maybe if you are true FMG as you have no loans and limited opportunities. If you are AMG or US FMG with medical school debt , job and money matters

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not just salary that's the issue.

Panhandling for consults
Being exploited by your older employer as he has no reason or intent to keep you in the group as supply line is producing 400/year
Constant sense of insecurity - what if this PMD or hosp stops giving me consults?
You can be fired or forced out of practice. With non competes you start all over again - takes time to build goodwill or relation with patients

I work 26/30 days (10-12 hr day)
Wake up every single night 3-4 times with multiple phone calls.
Clock > 80 miles day
Make 170k

My Hospitalist friend

Works 14 shifts per 28 days
Sees 16-18 patients ( if busy he will ask consultants to discharges or anything he does not want to take care of!)
260 k pay and he does 3-4 extra 1400 per shift
Drives zero other than getting to work
Gets sleep uninterrupted
Leaves his pager at work !!!
Solid job security
Most decide to quit on their terms
No need to build a practice. Work comes to them !!

Psych block stops me from leaving Nephro.

Is it unreasonable to expect a pay atleast the same or higher than Hospitalist ? With a lifestyle that I mentioned above.

Most states and places nnew nephrology grads will make 1/2-2/3 of what a Hospitalist makes

If you are Hospitalist, don't use nephrology as ur parachute to jump off, it won't deploy!!!

If you think I have unreasonable expectations, welcome to nephrology as you will get a spot and then join us on the other side.

Can I ask you why are you doing this job if you feel you are way underpaid and being exploited?

I am sure you are ABIM certified. Why can't you work as a hospitalist?

I cant let go of nephrology - despite what all I said - I like medicine part of nephrology , but hate the business part of it.

At some point in future, the business of nephrology is going to kill my resolve to stay on and will have no option to become hospitalist/Internist.

Can I ask you why are you doing this job if you feel you are way underpaid and being exploited?

I am sure you are ABIM certified. Why can't you work as a hospitalist?

A better question for you is that assuming that you are not in fellowship yet, and knowing what you know now (discerning the myths from fact), why do you still want to apply for nephrology fellowship and go through with it? Are you not afraid of anything you have been warned about?

Please don't quote anything your "mentor" has told you. Best advice you will ever get is to not listen to anything your mentor tells you and talk to recent grads who have entered private practice to get a real picture of what is going on.

A better question for you is that assuming that you are not in fellowship yet, and knowing what you know now (discerning the myths from fact), why do you still want to apply for nephrology fellowship and go through with it? Are you not afraid of anything you have been warned about?

Please don't quote anything your "mentor" has told you. Best advice you will ever get is to not listen to anything your mentor tells you and talk to recent grads who have entered private practice to get a real picture of what is going on.

I already switched gears - back to my previous hospitalist job after a short misadventure

For me hospitalist is the ideal job - week on, week off. You work hard one week and make significant amount of money. Next week you can enjoy with your friends and family or take a vacation and enjoy life to fullest.

I already switched gears - back to my previous hospitalist job after a short misadventure

For me hospitalist is the ideal job - week on, week off. You work hard one week and make significant amount of money. Next week you can enjoy with your friends and family or take a vacation and enjoy life to fullest.

Obviously you could find entire message boards about how hospitalist is not the ideal job whatsoever, with quotes about burnout rates or whatever. Each person needs to find his or her way in life and doing something that you find interesting but then deciding to change paths later is not something I consider a failure. I know it must be disappointing to discover that the field that you chose is not the right one for you (for whatever reasons) but this thread is intended for discussing the application process and interview trail and the downsides of nephrology have been reiterated over and over so can we get back to discussing the interview process?

Reactions: 3 users
Will only post if specific info is requested about private practice from here on. Will try not to repeat what I have already posted.

Agree with returning this post to ur application cycle. Apologize for sort of hijacking the thread unintentionally.

My intent was to inform prospective nephrologists how it really is in the field.

Each one of us makes decisions based on the info we have at a given moment.

Hope I gave you some useful information that helps you in choosing what's right for you.

IVs Last week from University of cincinnati, University of florida, temple university, george washington university, Nassau Medical center NY, Albert einstein Philli, and St Johns Michigan.

Anyone got IV from university of Michigan?

IV: Duke, Henry ford, Uof Rochester, Uof Chicago, Uof Tennessee, Cleveland

I got an IV invite from UofM in july . scheduled for october.

Anyone heard from BWH/MGH?
I hope you know this is a 4 year fellowship - 1 year clinical followed by 3 years of research.

Plan for a long interview day with 3 panel interviews at MGH and 4-5 personal interviews at BWH. Interview day finishes at roughly 6 PM

Hey guys. Congrats to everyone here on getting the interviews; best of luck! I've recieved interviews from UVA, VCU, Georgetown, USF, UF Gainsville. Any input/suggestion regarding these programs would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys. Congrats to everyone here on getting the interviews; best of luck! I've recieved interviews from UVA, VCU, Georgetown, USF, UF Gainsville. Any input/suggestion regarding these programs would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, rank them how you like them and how you like the locations. Being nephrology you will likely match at your first choice. Being nephrology you will likely get interviews at every place you apply to. Don't waste time or money interviewing at many places since you will likely match at your first choice. Don't sweat at your interviews. They should be more nervous than you are. The programs are the ones who may not fill their slots. This is nephrology remember.

Reactions: 2 users
Would be nice to hear the fiction being propagated in interviews from the guys still attending interviews.

Would be nice to hear the fiction being propagated in interviews from the guys still attending interviews.

I honestly feel academic mentors are not aware how bad things are currently in Nephrology

I don't think they intentionally mean to misguide anyone.

My mentor was very surprised when he heard people are quit their fellowship , the very fellowship for which he had to do 1 year of lab research in 1980s to get a spot

Yes, rank them how you like them and how you like the locations. Being nephrology you will likely match at your first choice. Being nephrology you will likely get interviews at every place you apply to. Don't waste time or money interviewing at many places since you will likely match at your first choice. Don't sweat at your interviews. They should be more nervous than you are. The programs are the ones who may not fill their slots. This is nephrology remember.

I completely agree . Don't waste your time and money. Maximum number of places you should interview is 4 or 5. Cancel rest.

One of my friend is assistant PD in a less desirable program. His program has received only 30 applications for 3 spots with multiple cancellations . He is pretty confident that he will have to get candidates through scramble, so he is trying hard to identify hospitalists who would be willing to take a prematch.

Yeah I am applying to Carms - but idk what the chances of matching in canada is...or how competitive nephrology is there- i'm looking for the worst case situation.
Are you still applying to Carms-Nephrology? Do you want to talk? Best program in canada? My email is [email protected]

Those who have been going into every nephrology thread bashing the hell out of nephrology fellowship. you have made your point loud and clear by now. the job market sucks and nobody is disagreeing. Thank you but enough already. you don't need to reply to every post or question with a "how much I hate nephrology" post !

Hating nephrology or even fellowship is not true. In fact most fellowships are intense and rewarding.Nephrology as a science is intellectually challenging.

Nephrology job market/ private practice are very different from fellowship and currently in dire straits, with future unlikely to be any brighter.

You may not like to hear the reality but don't deny others a chance

When prospective applicants search the forum, they are likely to focus on less important issues like which program is better .... Etc ? As they r the majority of the posts.

With posts here and there, mentioning the actual reality,once they are done with the training.

It is irresponsible on part of ASN to state there is a shortage of nephrologists. If an organization like ASN/program directors shirk their responsibility of presenting the true situation, it is left to a few individuals like ph74, loudbark and nephappl to bring it into focus.

If u did not apply yet - don't apply
If u did apply - don't attend interviews
If u attended interviews - don't accept prematch or don't submit ROL
If u join - quit if u don't like it

The further you go in this process the harder it is to quit. Blinded by the time and effort invested, you will end up in a dead end career

Last edited:
Hating nephrology or even fellowship is not true. In fact most fellowships are intense and rewarding.Nephrology as a science is intellectually challenging.

Nephrology job market/ private practice are very different from fellowship and currently in dire straits, with future unlikely to be any brighter.

When prospective applicants search the forum, they are likely to focus on less important issues like which program is better .... Etc ? As they r the majority of the posts.

With posts here and there, mentioning the actual reality,once they are done with the training.

It is irresponsible on part of ASN to state there is a shortage of nephrologists. If an organization like ASN/program directors shirk their responsibility of presenting the true situation, it is left to a few individuals like ph74, loudbark and nephappl to bring it into focus.

The further you go in this process the harder it is to quit. Blinded by the time and effort invested, you will end up in a dead end career

Agree. Inevitably you will get posts where someone will say: "Help me with my ROL" and then proceed to list 15 places that they interviewed at and want someone to tell them how to rank them 1 to 15.

Unfortunately people are missing the big picture and your future is not going to be determined by how you rank a list of 15 places you spent countless thousands of dollars interviewing at. Your future will be determined by how this field is in general and missing the big picture. These are the facts being given out that I personally wish someone had sat down with me and told me before getting into this mess.

Last edited:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Shortage of nephrologists :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Interesting forum, more debate of yes or no to fellowship..
Has anyone applied to the dual programs of critical care and nephrology?

I applied to Elmhurst Hospital NY, they offer dual programs of Nephro & CCM.

I am not sure how you can practice CCM and Nephro at same time with current private practice environment. Pulmonary/cc guys are less likely to add us on. Standalone intensivist do not need neph training.

Know a guy who did nephcc but ended up as standalone intensivist BYCHOICE.

do know a couple of neph cc groups - very few

Feel nephcc would be the way to go for future (groups of neph cc not 1 or 2) if neph has to survive as a competitive specialty. Good luck to u.

I keep reading these posts and we are back to same over and over.
We discussed that before.
Gross revenue in nephrology comes from bread and butter medicine (consults, office, dialysis and routine vascular proc if the practice runs an interventional program) , we see a few patients on CRRT but PCCM docs are the ones running the show. Nephrology practice is demanding enough for you to practice another speciality at the same time unless you want to moonlight somewhere else and kill yourself (assuming with luck that you find a decent job in nephrology). In our hospitals which are the typical community hospital where most people would practice the need is for PCCM not CCM alone; used to have locus but they are now fully staffed.
My view is that you have to choose which will be your primary specialty. Again see no reason to do a fellowship for two years to apply to another fellowship for which the first one was not needed.
Regarding ASN I do not put too much attention to it; they need to keep the status quo and it is up to people to fall in the trap. With the work here @ SDN + the many frustrated nephrohospitalists around people have enough elements to make an informed decision.

overall consensus seems to be...NO to nephrology

Reactions: 1 users
I have a scary thought; what if ASN starts giving away nephrology fellowships to family medicine residents? I know a couple of family meds in sleep medicine...

Family med residents will do fine and I see them as no less qualified than IM.

If nurse practitioners can do nephrology- so can psych/obgyn or any one who has a few neurons

They can abolish almost all fellowships and just have nurse practitioners.

Hopefully, any resident or Hospitalist is smart enough to see dismal job/career prospects and stay away.

You've been warned enough!!!

Last edited:
I have a scary thought; what if ASN starts giving away nephrology fellowships to family medicine residents? I know a couple of family meds in sleep medicine...

It would be interesting to hear how interview process is going on this year.

It will be a big challenge for some of the non-academic community programs (who have been primary recruiting fellows to get their work) to fill their positions.

Last edited:
May be there are no interviews and only offers of prematch!
I went to 14 interviews to match- wasted 8000 dollars at my time.
Atleast now they can save on travel costs

You need to stop. You are so obsessed with this that it's becoming scary.
Please find a hobby.

this has sort of become my hobby you are right. thx for your concern. scary for you would be a job search after neph fellowship.

you sound like a program director trying to stomp any bad news that will hurt your chances of having slaves!!!

You need to stop. You are so obsessed with this that it's becoming scary.
Please find a hobby.

I agree with lonely Tylenol. I understand your frustrations and also understand how you are being exploited by your senior nephrology colleagues. But you still have a chance to work as hospitalist again. It's never to late to change your career path. Take a week on week off job as hospitalist . Take a big pay check home and enjoy your life!

Nephrology workforce
It seems that finally ASN and academia are starting to admit what we have been talking here all the time
This is a long paper but the most important part is that concerning the right size of the nephrology workforce
Change should come but if implemented is going to take years before a change is visible
In any case worth reading (CJASN this month)

http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/9/9/1639.full#F1

NA

Hope article leads to action. Applicants can read the article and decide for themselves. Folks like me will carry on till we give up.

Nephrology workforce
It seems that finally ASN and academia are starting to admit what we have been talking here all the time
This is a long paper but the most important part is that concerning the right size of the nephrology workforce
Change should come but if implemented is going to take years before a change is visible
In any case worth reading (CJASN this month)

http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/9/9/1639.full#F1

NA

Excellent article. Every applicant must read this.

Last edited:
Hope article leads to action. Applicants can read the article and decide for themselves. Folks like me will carry on till we give up.

Biggest change needed at this moment is right sizing workforce- cutting down 25 % of nephrology fellowship spots ASAP. However, I doubt any program will be willing to do so.