Official 2014-2015 Nephrology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Biggest change needed at this moment is right sizing workforce- cutting down 25 % of nephrology fellowship spots ASAP. However, I doubt any program will be willing to do so.

Fellowship programs are not looking out for the nephrology work force in the private practice world......they are looking out for themselves.

More fellows equal more cheap labor. No way they cut back on fellowship spots.

Members don't see this ad.

Right , in particular when a program gets more or less $150K per year per fellow they train + the money they saved by not hiring a NP , PA or a nephrologist
It is pathetic we went from 5800 nephrologist in 2005 to 8400 in 2010 (increase 30%) with a flat or decreasing incidence of ESRD. Not surprising the poor job market people are seeing now.
It is going to take years to balance these oversupply assuming no more people are trained.
It is up to people to decide what they want to do.

Right , in particular when a program gets more or less $150K per year per fellow they train + the money they saved by not hiring a NP , PA or a nephrologist
It is pathetic we went from 5800 nephrologist in 2005 to 8400 in 2010 (increase 30%) with a flat or decreasing incidence of ESRD. Not surprising the poor job market people are seeing now.
It is going to take years to balance these oversupply assuming no more people are trained.
It is up to people to decide what they want to do.

Who pays program $ 150 K per year for each fellow they train? Why they do they pay fellow only 60 K , who takes away rest 90 k?

I don't think a single PA or NP can replace fellow. Fellows work at least 75-80 hours a week. They will need two PA or NP for each fellow they cut down on. Also, I think PA 's pay is slightly more than fellows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medicare pays for most of GME positions, number is 120-150 K per year per trainee
The difference between medicare pay and fellow pay is used to pay PD , coordinator , support staff and educational activities
You are right PAs or NPs are more expensive and they work up to 40 hs week when full time , you can work out a fellow up to 80 hs week

Ph74 and Nephappl - I appreciate your posts which predated atleast 2 years before Jeffrey Berns article in cjasn highlighting this oversupply issue

How is the interview trail going for everyone? I've really enjoyed all 5 of the interviews I have done, and my last one is on Thursday. I think I could be happy any of the places I have applied so I think I will end up deciding based on location, which is not bad at all :highfive:

Ph74 and Nephappl - I appreciate your posts which predated atleast 2 years before Jeffrey Berns article in cjasn highlighting this oversupply issue

We didn't predict anything. Most people in nephrology know these facts.

How is the interview trail going for everyone? I've really enjoyed all 5 of the interviews I have done, and my last one is on Thursday. I think I could be happy any of the places I have applied so I think I will end up deciding based on location, which is not bad at all :highfive:

Select San Diego or San Francisco - nice locations :nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

5 interviews is 4 too many.

This is nephrology in the year 2014. You will match at your first (and what should have been only) choice.

Come match day, many programs will be looking high and low for hospitalists to fill their unmatched spots.

Reactions: 1 user
Quit now and save yourself from lifetime misery. Enjoy the fellowship interviews now as your job interviews after fellowship would be the rude awakening into real world of nephrology and that too if you manage to get any. Read cJasn from this month before you submit ROL.

You all ask why nobody is telling you how the interview process is going, and then when I make any comment, you make very rude and redundant comments about the miserable future I can expect.

WE. GET. YOUR. POINT.

Example: Based on what I have seen from you here, I imagine that if you're married, that's not going well either. However, please don't give me marriage advice and endlessly criticize me for considering getting married.

Cheer to all of the happy people out there :soexcited: Doing or not doing nephrology fellowship could never make me as miserable as you are at baseline.

Reactions: 2 users
Jooj I apologize for being rude. Please accept my apologies. Wish you good luck with your career. I am lucky on my home front though.

Jooj I completely agree with you. Im so sick of these disgruntled Nephrologists coming here and complaining. If you look at the other fellowship threads, the conversations are lively and we arent constantly being told "we chose wrong".

Members don't see this ad :)
Jooj I completely agree with you. Im so sick of these disgruntled Nephrologists coming here and complaining. If you look at the other fellowship threads, the conversations are lively and we arent constantly being told "we chose wrong".

I agree this may not be right place to discuss scope of nephrology after graduation but I can understand frustrations of people like nephroexp

They have sacrificed additional 2-3 years for nephrology training(worked 70-80 hours a week , gone to hospital numerous times in middle of night for CRRT/ emergent HD) and now are struggling to live a decent lifestyle.

Biggest frustration happens when you see your GI or hem-onc or even plain hospitalist colleagues making more money and living a better lifestyle.

I love nephrology but I am being asked a lot to sacrifice for my love for this field

Last edited:
either no one is applying to nephrology or a few posters just made this thread so disgusting and boring that one is even willing to come and post

Hey guys , I have applied to nephrology this year and am hoping to get into a fellowship program in Philadelphia. Due to visa restrictions I have two interviews - Thomas Jefferson and Temple. I interviewed at both places however I am confused which is a better program. Personally I got a better vibe from the faculty at temple however Jefferson is always ranked higher in the lists online. Would love to hear your opinions. I personally don't know anyone who did their fellowship at these places. I plan to stay in center city and commute by SEPTA during the day, cabs during the night. Any suggestion is welcome however kindly refrain from discouraging me against nephrology as I have already made up my mind :).

In Philadelphia the best place is UPenn. Temple is an inner city hosp located in a bad area in town, very busy with good clinical training. Jefferson is a private hospital and more academically oriented, we sent most of our complicated patients to Jefferson, do not have too much experience with Temple.
I would pick Jefferson just because I do not know the other one and UPenn is not one of the choices

IV from: UCLA, Duke, UPENN

Not heard from: UCSF, UCSD, Mayo, Northwestern, UChicago, UColorado, UNC, Johns Hopkins, Yale (except for acknowledgement today)
Hi can you please inform me ur IV experience at Duke? please email me at [email protected], appreciate ur help. Good luck with match.

In Philadelphia the best place is UPenn. Temple is an inner city hosp located in a bad area in town, very busy with good clinical training. Jefferson is a private hospital and more academically oriented, we sent most of our complicated patients to Jefferson, do not have too much experience with Temple.
I would pick Jefferson just because I do not know the other one and UPenn is not one of the choices
if you plan on living in center city and will not have a car (though you really should have a car in Philly) then you should rank Jeff higher…you can walk.

Any thoughts on UCSF vs. Stanford for someone interested in a future career in clinical research/academics. Loved my interview days at both, I am torn.

Is there a transplant nephrology fellowship that could be done after residency?

Any thoughts on UCSF vs. Stanford for someone interested in a future career in clinical research/academics. Loved my interview days at both, I am torn.

i would recommend UCSF

Hey guys , I have applied to nephrology this year and am hoping to get into a fellowship program in Philadelphia. Due to visa restrictions I have two interviews - Thomas Jefferson and Temple. I interviewed at both places however I am confused which is a better program. Personally I got a better vibe from the faculty at temple however Jefferson is always ranked higher in the lists online. Would love to hear your opinions. I personally don't know anyone who did their fellowship at these places. I plan to stay in center city and commute by SEPTA during the day, cabs during the night. Any suggestion is welcome however kindly refrain from discouraging me against nephrology as I have already made up my mind :).

Recommend upenn

did you guys submit your ROL?

Any input on following ROL

1. UCSD

2. OHSU

3. Baylor

4. UTSW

5. U of Colorado

6. U of Utah at SLC

Are you guys taking prematch? Any idea what percentage of programs ae going for match this year? Any input on ROL?

Good luck for match !

Hope everyone matches at their top choice

by the way how many of you took pre match this year

I posted this in another forum
No joke!!!!
In one of the hospitals I work we now have 2 nephro-hospitalists.
Besides killing us with their parallel management of the patients leading to late consults is sad looking at them with no renal jobs and not many choices left after spending training years. Asked by one of them for advise only thing I could say is go far away from here as we are not hiring now not even in years.
Do not understand; people do stuff and then start thinking what are they going to do after doing the first thing and its consequences without serious evaluation in the first place.
Went to ASN this year; there was talk about the future of nephrology (bad at least for new grads) and one of the fellows on a visa (very uninformed by the way) was asking ASN to do something to facilitate people with visas to find jobs (people forget ASN is a professional association not an immigration agency and of course they can not help with it or create more jobs out of nothing as they honestly pointed out).
Dr Berns from UPenn who co-wrote the paper in CJASN I mentioned recently was mad with the society and academia for having created this mess by increasing the supply of new grads too fast ,too much and for too long. At least the ASN is honest saying they do not know what they can do as the guys that got us into this mess are now trying to get us out.
Like in many diseases the best cure is prevention; want to avoid all these headaches (?) then DO NOT DO THIS FELLOWSHIP
Can not be more obvious

Can anyone share the results of our match?
Thanks

Wow half the programs went unfilled...

Wow this is sad... Maybe DNPs will step in and fill in the need lol

I matched in a University program but just found out half of positions went unmatched. I am the only one out of 15 PGY-3 in my program who applied for nephrology. I feel I should have applied for GI or hem-onc. What should I do? Can I quit now? What kind of legal action will I face? If I reapply what are my chances to match in competitive fellowship next year? @nephappl please give me some advise. I am under lot of stress

I matched in a University program but just found out half of positions went unmatched. I am the only one out of 15 PGY-3 in my program who applied for nephrology. I feel I should have applied for GI or hem-onc. What should I do? Can I quit now? What kind of legal action will I face? If I reapply what are my chances to match in competitive fellowship next year? @nephappl please give me some advise. I am under lot of stress
You can quit, but you will face sanctions from NRMP and can be banned from the Match for up to 5 years (and will definitely not be able to use the Match next year). If you just want to bail and be a PCP or hospitalist, you don't have much to lose. But if you want to snag another fellowship, you're kind of screwed.

You can quit, but you will face sanctions from NRMP and can be banned from the Match for up to 5 years (and will definitely not be able to use the Match next year). If you just want to bail and be a PCP or hospitalist, you don't have much to lose. But if you want to snag another fellowship, you're kind of screwed.

You can get an exemption from the NRMP if you come up with a hardship reason for dropping out. For instance, a family issue that prevents you from timely starting the fellowship. A financial blow why you need to work full time before starting a fellowship. A health issue for you or your spouse or child. You get the idea. Come up with a reason why you need to be granted a hardship and the NRMP will get you to put it in writing and they may let you out of their restriction and let you participate in the match again next year.

Sticking with nephrology will be a 30 year mistake. Trust others who have been there!

Here is an interesting article that was released on Match Day -- it talks about reducing fellowship positions.
The nephrology education world has read the posts here (or at least I have) and is actually taking the recommendation of decreasing positions really seriously (or at least I am).

Article: https://peerj.com/preprints/592v1/
Commentary: https://storify.com/nephondemand/comments-for

Tejas Desai, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Director, Nephrology Fellowship Program

Division of Nephrology & Hypertension
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC
Founder and Editor-in-Chief
Nephrology On-Demand
On your iPhone @ http://goo.gl/tfSAQT
On the Web @http://www.myNOD.org
On Twitter @nephondemand

Last edited:
I'm not an expert on NRMP rules or how strict people are about them, but here's what they say: http://www.nrmp.org/policies/the-match-commitment/

If I were you, I wouldn't do anything drastic just yet; you should consider talking to fellows at the program where you matched... how are the 2nd or 3rd years doing on a career search? Is it a supportive place? Is there a possibility to stay on as faculty?

The main difference in the Match results this year seems to be that fewer foreign grads applied and matched (only 107; in the past it was over 200). This is because it is very hard for ppl with a J1 (and sometimes foreign grads in general) to find a job in nephrology. For US grads, the number is lower, but relatively similar to last year 79 matched vs ~90 last year. You can still get a job and have a career in nephrology, but it's just hard to do so if you have strict geographic lmitations, and starting salaries are usually lower than for hospitalists. Final salaries depend on your partnership group structure/success, and can exceed those of hospitalists (assuming the hospitalist is not moonlighting too on off weeks). Lifestyle also depends on your group: I.e., tiny group and you may get q2/q3 call; I've heard of large groups getting ~q6 call.

Based upon this link, I can safely quit after 45 days. Is that correct? I don't want to be PCP/ Hospitalist. I will do locums and apply next year.