Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For complicated reasons, many of which I assume are financial in nature, the hematology oncology inpatient service at my hospital is manned by physicians assistants and attendings only. This means that I have had no experience directly caring for patients with common hematologic or oncologic disorders, from the very basic (eg neutropenic fever, ITP) to the more advanced (eg TTP, acquired factor 8 inhibitor). Do you know of a decent primer that covers the basics of management of common hematologic and oncologic issues for an incoming fellow with my limited experience? I realize that this is a problem, particularly the neutropenic fever part, which should just be bread and butter for internal medicine residents. I have made a lot of waves in my program about this shortcoming in our curriculum, but I would prefer that that wasn't the subject of responses to this post, because that will only magnify my frustration and will be of no help to me. I realize that I will likely become competent in the management of many of these issues rather quickly once fellowship starts, but I'd really like to decrease the slope of the learning curve to the extent I may be able to (even if it's only from 85° to 83°). Besides, I'm reading about heme onc most of the time, so it may as well be filling deficiencies in things I should ALREADY know, instead of in my knowledge about the next generation ALK inhibitors with better brain penetration. Thanks so much for your consideration and input.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I like Pocket Oncology written by physicians at MSK, small book that you can carry in your pocket. At least it summarizes what is important.

Members don't see this ad.

I like Pocket Oncology written by physicians at MSK, small book that you can carry in your pocket. At least it summarizes what is important.
Thanks so much!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm a current MS4 applying via the PSTP track for IM residency and Hem/Onc fellowship. I feel like I've got a decent grasp on what makes a good residency program, but I feel pretty lost in judging fellowship programs. My top contenders at this point are UAB vs. Emory vs. MUSC. My PhD is in basic/translational solid tumor research, but I'm looking to move into clinical research, especially drug trails and customized therapeutics based on tumor genetics. It's also important to me to get good clinical education as well.

Could I go wrong with any of the above fellowship programs? Any of these particularly strong in clinical trails? I checked their respective websites, but they seemed mostly comparable. Does it really matter if a program has a cancer institute vs. a CCC? Any other important metric I should be using to judge fellowship programs?

Mentors matter most. Find ones that fit the bill at each institution and speak with them. Check ASCO/ASH for the past several years and speak with those who have platform presentations from these institutions. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current MS4 applying via the PSTP track for IM residency and Hem/Onc fellowship. I feel like I've got a decent grasp on what makes a good residency program, but I feel pretty lost in judging fellowship programs. My top contenders at this point are UAB vs. Emory vs. MUSC. My PhD is in basic/translational solid tumor research, but I'm looking to move into clinical research, especially drug trails and customized therapeutics based on tumor genetics. It's also important to me to get good clinical education as well.

Could I go wrong with any of the above fellowship programs? Any of these particularly strong in clinical trails? I checked their respective websites, but they seemed mostly comparable. Does it really matter if a program has a cancer institute vs. a CCC? Any other important metric I should be using to judge fellowship programs?

get in touch with carolyn britten at MUSC... she used to lead a clinical trials unit at UCLA and is the fellowship program director. Charleston is a fantastic place to live for any length of time... The others are pretty good too but i dont know anyone there.

Thread is finally dying, I don't think we will match last year's thread, sigh

What conferences are worth attending to learn something at this stage? Mostly heard about people going to ASH and ASCO - what about NCCN conferences?
Or is it better to attend small local conferences taught by good faculty?

Does anyone know if ASCO- sep 5th edition is coming or should i look into buying 4?

What conferences are worth attending to learn something at this stage? Mostly heard about people going to ASH and ASCO - what about NCCN conferences?
Or is it better to attend small local conferences taught by good faculty?
ASH and ASCO are ridiculous and way too much for a fellow (or anybody frankly). Go once for the experience, but don't expect to learn anything.

I like the disease specific meetings (ASCO GI/GU, SABCS, whatever that lung meeting is) and Best of ASCO as well as the local ASCO, ASH and SABCS recap conferences. Every big city will have one of those. Cheap, 1 or 2 days, easy to digest.

SEP 4 just came out last year (and it sucks). If you can find SEP 3 for free and get the SEP 4 questions online you're in business.

anything in particular that you hate about SEP 4?

Aside from the 95% duplicate content of SEP 3, the typos and the lazy copy editing? Or the fact that it came out 7 days prior to last year's Onc board exam?

Because otherwise I guess it's pretty OK.

Agree that editing is not the best and there are some questions that are flat out wrong. I still find the text to be relatively good though

Agree that editing is not the best and there are some questions that are flat out wrong. I still find the text to be relatively good though

I'm finding it hard to get a solid grasp on some topics since there are so many resources: NCCN, UptoDate, ASCO, ASH, articles. Do you think its best to just start with ASCO and ASH and then build off of them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm finding it hard to get a solid grasp on some topics since there are so many resources: NCCN, UptoDate, ASCO, ASH, articles. Do you think its best to just start with ASCO and ASH and then build off of them?

ASCO SEP and the ASH How I treat articles are a very good way to start and then you can build on them. I only go to NCCN if I'm looking for something specific but not to review a topic. Uptodate can be pretty extensive too and a lot of the controversial topics are biased towards the authors' opinions.
HemOnc is a huge field and it is normal to feel overwhelmed by the amount of information as a a first year fellow. been there done that

What are you looking for?

Quick ideas on how to handle a patient in front of you? NCCN Guidelines and UTD (skip to the summary section and backtrack as necessary).

General learning? The Blood "How I Treat" series is money...assuming there's one from the last 5 years on the topic you're interested in. Diving more deeply into UTD and JCO is a good call here as well.

Studying for the inservice or boards? The ASH and ASCO review products are serviceable.

Need to really rock your attending's mind? Pub Med and Google Scholar.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have any thoughts on Dartmouth/Norris Cotton vs RWJ/Cancer Institute of NJ? I'm looking at the ABIM research track and both places offer it as a program that you have to "apply" into at the beginning of your PGY2, but it seems like you're guaranteed a spot so long as you didn't intentionally kill someone during your PGY1. I liked both institutions and they both have researchers working in areas that I want to pursue. The only difference is that I liked New Brunswick more than Lebanon, but that's about it. Is there anything else worth looking into at these places?

Anyone have any thoughts on Dartmouth/Norris Cotton vs RWJ/Cancer Institute of NJ? I'm looking at the ABIM research track and both places offer it as a program that you have to "apply" into at the beginning of your PGY2, but it seems like you're guaranteed a spot so long as you didn't intentionally kill someone during your PGY1. I liked both institutions and they both have researchers working in areas that I want to pursue. The only difference is that I liked New Brunswick more than Lebanon, but that's about it. Is there anything else worth looking into at these places?

Former RWJ int med chief here- FWIW i can't recall anyone applying into the ABIM research track in my 4+ years associated with the residency. Not saying its impossible- it just may not be the sure thing you're implying.

So how's it going? What kind of contact have you had with your program yet? Anyone received a contract yet?

Any advice from anyone on how to balance studying for ABIM and starting fellowship simultaneously?

Any advice from anyone on how to balance studying for ABIM and starting fellowship simultaneously?
No. I waited to take it for that very reason. 2nd year is way lighter in nearly every program and you'll have plenty of time to study then.

YMMV of course.

There are pros and cons to doing it 1st or 2nd year.

1st year- pros: you get it out of the way and you're closer to IM residency. cons: you feel kinda overwhelmed with having to study for the test while starting a new fellowship and not having time to read for your rotations (especially if you've also just moved to a new town)
2nd year - pros: you have more time to study and you're used to your job by now. cons: you're getting further away from IM residency (you'd be amazed on how quickly you'd forget stuff like rheum and endo and ID).

I did it 1st year. And I was on a heavy malignant hem inpatient rotation. It wasn't fun but it all worked out.