**Official 2023 Dental Anesthesiology PASS/Interviews/Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know the ballpark score for CBSE for DA? I know OMFS they always say 70 (old score- theoretical passing Step 1). Not familiar if DA is similar? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know the ballpark score for CBSE for DA? I know OMFS they always say 70 (old score- theoretical passing Step 1). Not familiar if DA is similar? Thanks in advance
Score as high as you can. A good score, allegedly, is somewhere between 65-80%. The CBSE is kinda an experiment from what I told during an interview. I don’t think it’s going away but we’ll see how the match goes and the average score. But overall, I was told most people didn’t do stellar on it this cycle so it might not be a huge factor in admissions for a few years

Reactions: 1 users
Score as high as you can. A good score, allegedly, is somewhere between 65-80%. The CBSE is kinda an experiment from what I told during an interview. I don’t think it’s going away but we’ll see how the match goes and the average score. But overall, I was told most people didn’t do stellar on it this cycle so it might not be a huge factor in admissions for a few year
Appreciate the insight

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m interested in applying to anesthesia in the next year or two so I want to start externing soon. Ideally, I want to see all the programs by I’ve heard that St. Barnabas and wyckoff aren’t good programs but nobody has told me why. You’d assume they would be really great programs since they want you to do a GPR or have clinical experience prior to applying. Anyway, why do they have such bad reputations

I’m interested in applying to anesthesia in the next year or two so I want to start externing soon. Ideally, I want to see all the programs by I’ve heard that St. Barnabas and wyckoff aren’t good programs but nobody has told me why. You’d assume they would be really great programs since they want you to do a GPR or have clinical experience prior to applying. Anyway, why do they have such bad reputations
I’m curious as well. Lucky to have interviews with both programs coming up so I can see for myself. Feel free to PM in a few weeks

Reactions: 1 user
someone started a groupme for all the applicants to keep in touch during the cycle...
I know interviews are coming up to a close soon by the end of next week...

feel free to join!
here is the link: GroupMe

Screenshot_20221113-092736.png

It looks like the Ohio State is withdrawing from the match and will not be accepting applicants for this upcoming cycle..

• Sad
Matched!

Name of Program: NYU Langone
Dental School Attended: University of Utah
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2023
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: No
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part 1/Il scores: Pass
CBSE Score: 65 (equated %)
Class Rank: no rankings at my school
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: Everywhere except Illinois Masonic
Research: none during dental school
Extracurriculars: 2 week anesthesia clerkship, safe sedation course, 5+ years of shadowing, started dental anesthesiology club
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/ Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 6/5/5/4

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone that matched! Unfortunately didn’t match this year. Any reapplicants that successfully matched have any tips on how they made their application successful?

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched!

Name of Program: Jacobi Medical Center
CBSE Score: 40 (equated %)
Class Rank: unranked dental school
Externship(s)/where: NYU Arizona, Pitt, Jacobi
Research: restorative materials research during dental school, other bio-medical research during undergrad
Extracurriculars: class president, multiple club leadership positions, routine dental anesthesia shadowing, 2 week anesthesia clerkship, 8+ years volunteering with persons with disabilities
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/ Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 6/5/5/4

I cant speak for next year,but any future applicants looking at this form, this year the CBSE did not seem to matter much. Seems as though it was more about if you took it or not. Definitely not saying to not take the exam seriously but I wouldn't count yourself out if you dont do well.

I cant speak for next year,but any future applicants looking at this form, this year the CBSE did not seem to matter much. Seems as though it was more about if you took it or not. Definitely not saying to not take the exam seriously but I wouldn't count yourself out if you dont do well.

Agreed. I think if you do well it will help you but if you don’t do well it won’t necessarily hurt you. It’s funny cause OSU was the program that really pushed for the CBSE and then they withdrew from the MATCH

Do you guys think being out of school (GPR, one year externing and another working in private) would be frowned upon?

I was told to score in the upper 70's by some program directors.....They sounded pretty serious about doing well on the exam.

I was told to score in the upper 70's by some program directors.....They sounded pretty serious about doing well on the exam.

I would be very surprised if they are expecting this. I scored a 65 and they all said that it was an impressive score. I think most applicants this cycle were in the 40’s to 50’s range, so expecting a jump to the upper 70’s doesn’t seem realistic.

Do you guys think being out of school (GPR, one year externing and another working in private) would be frowned upon?
Not at all. Many of the residents at the program I’m at had GPRs, a few people worked as well for 1-7 years before applying.

Reactions: 1 users
I would be very surprised if they are expecting this. I scored a 65 and they all said that it was an impressive score. I think most applicants this cycle were in the 40’s to 50’s range, so expecting a jump to the upper 70’s doesn’t seem realistic.

Im not sure why they would say that considering the numbers for this years CBSE were much lower than 70. My best guesses would be that 1.) They are simply repeating what OMFS wants for their scores. 2.) They believe that by demanding a higher score from applicants will rise to the higher standard they set. I would take the exam as seriously as possible in either scenario but no matter how you do, you should still apply

Matched!

Research: restorative materials research during dental school, other bio-medical research during undergrad
Extracurriculars: class president, multiple club leadership positions, routine dental anesthesia shadowing, 2 week anesthesia clerkship, 8+ years volunteering with persons with disabilities
Congratulations on matching! Could you explain what was the 2 week anesthesia clerkship you completed and also when you completed your externships at the various programs and how long you stayed for each externship? Thank you!

Congratulations on matching! Could you explain what was the 2 week anesthesia clerkship you completed and also when you completed your externships at the various programs and how long you stayed for each externship? Thank you!
I was just about to ask this as well! I'm interested in some clerkship information (if you'd love to share).

Matched!

Congratulations! I sent you a DM! Was wondering if I could ask some questions.