Official **AAMC Test 7 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It would be intersting to see people's interpretations of Test 7. Harder or easier than 5R or 6R? Which of the three most closely resembled the actual MCAT? Was this the best test that AAMC publishes?

5R and 6R have been around for a while, but 7 is new and it would be nice to accumulate a bunch of responses regarding this test.

So tell us what you thought!

(Keep in mind that many, myslef included, still haven't taken it yet, so please do give away the answers to specific questions)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have a big issue with aamc 7 and question 153. It says how many stereoisomers does the compound have. That is 2^n where n is the number of stereocenters. A tetrahedral N is also a stereocenter even with a lone pair, so shouldn't that come into play in answering this question and so 5 stereocenters and 32 stereoisomers?

Thanks, Katie

i learned that a nitrogen with a lone pair is NOT a stereocenter, as at room temperature it has enough energy to constantly invert itself and switch between configurations...

so in a sense its a racemic mixture in itself

Members don't see this ad :)
What did everyone think was the hardest VR passage? I messed up that passage about high road, low road business so badly that I thought I might have mis-bubbled. There were a couple other passages that I thought were hard, but I actually did pretty well except for that passage.

The last two...Missed over half my wrong ones on those two. It was surprising because while doing it I thought it was the hardest verbal I'd ever seen but my score ended up an 11 like I usually get.

-OH is more polar than C=O because the hydrogen can H-bond with other hydroxy groups. The carbonyl group is self-sufficient and stable in and of itself. Hope that helps. I thought the sciences were about the same as 6R, but the verbal was the hardest I've seen. I hope it is a bit easier Saturday. I ended up with a 13,11,13. I'm very close to 14s in the sciences. Good luck all.

I just took AAMC 7 as well.. my breakdowns were:
PS 12, VR 10, BS 12

Has everyone's score been prety consistent with what they usually score? Because it seems an inordinate amount of people are killing the PS/BS (ie. there must be 8 or 10 people with 12/13's on both of these section on this thread so far), while everyone seems to be doing relatively poor on VR.

So either the results are skewed in that only people who did well are posting.. or the curves are a tad off? (id like to think its the former.. lol)

For me, the combined for AAMC 7 is the highest i've ever scored.. I got a 12, 9, 12 on AAMC 6. And for kaplan FL 1-5, my average PS has been around 10-12 lately, my VR has been around 9-11, and my BS has been around 11-12.

i thought aamc 7 was KILLER. the verbal had no passages that i felt comfortable with and about 4 later's. the bio had a lot of random type information that i just didnt know and physical was kinda hard also, stuff ive never see
my aamc 5r 12B 11P 10V
aamc 6r 11B 11P 9V
aamc 7 10B 10P 10V

I see a downward trend, i just hope the real test isnt like test 7 b/c that test is seriously tough.

yep, both the "high road, low road crap" passage, and the one about reforming education i never caught on too

but then again verbal is never easy for me

oh yea.. what was interesting was that although that passage on atonal compositions didnt seem to make ANY sense.. i got all the questions right.. so a classic example of hard reading/ easy questions.. unfortunately, i proceeded to get 12 out of 15 or so wrong on the final two passages. i tried to rush it and do two of them with 10 minutes left, and i guess i got the wrong main ideas on both of them.

bonez318ti said:
oh yea.. what was interesting was that although that passage on atonal compositions didnt seem to make ANY sense.. i got all the questions right.. so a classic example of hard reading/ easy questions.. unfortunately, i proceeded to get 12 out of 15 or so wrong on the final two passages. i tried to rush it and do two of them with 10 minutes left, and i guess i got the wrong main ideas on both of them.

Yeah man, that passage was IMPOSSIBLE, but the questions were easy. And then I thought I pretty much understood the high road, low road passage and it kicked my ass. I guess it just goes to show you that the difficulty of the passage doesn't necessarily correlate to the difficulty of the questions. I didn't think the Picasso passage on 5 or 6 was a very difficult read, but the questions were tough.

Yea, 7R's verbal was my anus' worst nightmare. I'm thinking about going to the two killer passages first and devoting a good amount of time to them and then resuming with the easier (i.e. shorter question set) passages. I got raped and it's making me question my current attack approach.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken the MCAT a few times before. I took 7R today and soon realized that it is the same MCAT I took in August 2000.

My score in August 2000: 9 in PS, 7 in VR, and 9 in BS.
My score on the same exam four years later: 10 in PS, 7 in VR, 12 in BS.

For those of you who are worried about the VR section in 7R, do not be too concerned. I took the MCAT in August of last year and scored a 9 in VR. I can't explain why I scored lower on the VR section of 7R (my lowest verbal score from all the AAMC practice tests). The MCAT is just quirky like that sometimes. Some degree of luck is involved.

Anyhow, I am finally done with all my practice tests. My average for 3R-7R is a 30.4, which I am pretty pleased with.

Good luck to my fellow MCAT'ers this Saturday! :luck:

I thought it was strange that the 7 verbal score scale is more strict than the one from 6R. I see no difference in difficulty, so I can't imagine why 7's is more harsh.

Fusion said:
I have taken the MCAT a few times before. I took 7R today and soon realized that it is the same MCAT I took in August 2000.

My score in August 2000: 9 in PS, 7 in VR, and 9 in BS.
My score on the same exam four years later: 10 in PS, 7 in VR, 12 in BS.

For those of you who are worried about the VR section in 7R, do not be too concerned. I took the MCAT in August of last year and scored a 9 in VR. I can't explain why I scored lower on the VR section of 7R (my lowest verbal score from all the AAMC practice tests). The MCAT is just quirky like that sometimes. Some degree of luck is involved.

Anyhow, I am finally done with all my practice tests. My average for 3R-7R is a 30.4, which I am pretty pleased with.

Good luck to my fellow MCAT'ers this Saturday! :luck:

Is this possible? The same MCAT? According to what I have been told the AAMC tests are all made of passages from old MCATs and make kind of collage. They grab different passages from different MCATs and make a practice test. Perhaps you noticed one or two passages but the rest were different?

Tooth

It very well could be a collage of previously used passages, as I only recall two or three passages from each section as having been on the August 2000 MCAT (i.e., in VR, I remember everyone b!tch!ng about that atonality passage during the post-VR break, which incidentally had a few more questions on it - this was back when VR was 65 questions as opposed to the current 60. And how could I ever forget a name like "Cezanne"?) :)

I got two points higher on verbal on the real test in comparison to AAMC 7. That seems to be the general trend.

Hi

Just finished taking the 7 PS and VR today. I thought that this test is much harder than all the other AAMC tests. I generally do well with verbal but today managed only an 8. defenitely not nice for confidence. On second thought should have not taken the 7 at all.. anyway will post the composite after taking the bio.
Bye
Amy

Hi There
This exam is very hard.. depressing score.. hope that i can do better on the real deal.. Does everyone have problems with VR after a bad PS section? I am glad eveyone thinks that this test is hard.. can anyone with april experience say how the real test compared?
Bye
Amy

bonez318ti said:
atonal was such BS that passage freeking sucked
i spazed out and spent like max time on it..shows what bad pace can do to ya
dropped 2 pts on VR alone

DieselPetrolGrl said:
atonal was such BS that passage freeking sucked
i spazed out and spent like max time on it..shows what bad pace can do to ya
dropped 2 pts on VR alone

Can someone tell me whey the anwer to Question 103 is A?

I picked C, and that's what the explanation seems to be saying to, though the letter doesn't appear next to the explanation, only on that scantron up top.

The question state: The comparison of the diatonic system of composition to atonal composition in the second paragraph suggests that:
A. There are fixed rules for atonal composition

C. Diatonic pieces follow certain guidelines adhering to preconceived concepts of musical organization.

The explanation states:

103. The author first states that the diatonic tonal system presupposes ?the existence of specific properties of that system: a seven-tone scale, triadic harmonic structure, a key center?.? The author then goes on to state that atonality is defined as ?merely stipulating the absence of a priori functional connections among the twelve notes of the atonal scale.? The purpose of this comparison is then to show how atonality largely resists the limitations of adhering to preconceived concepts of musical organization.

ISN"T THIS CHOICE C??

Would it be possible for someone to post the multiple choice answers for VR for passage IV and up. I thought my answer key was authentic as I bought the claimed AAMC from a friend who bought it earlier, but it appears that some answers are wrong. I am going crazy trying to match the answer key explanation to the multiple choice answers.

wth arnt ya'll take the mcat tomorrow ..go carbo-load like me * BURRRPPP * mmm pasta and doughnuts and vanilla wafers
too late to check answers just feed like ur going into battle!