*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For foreign credits transferred to an American school, my school did post any grade, not even P/F, just amount of earned credits.
Should I put P for grade? Or should I just leave the grade blank?

I am in the same situation. I just left it blank. A question for you. How did you list those courses?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same situation. I just left it blank. A question for you. How did you list those courses?
My school actually assigned names/credits to individual courses except that I have 60 credits lumped together as "elective." I will leave the grade blank too.
What about you?

My school actually assigned names/credits to individual courses except that I have 60 credits lumped together as "elective." I will leave the grade blank too.
What about you?
Unfortunately, in my transcript my school just listed the lump sum amount of credit transferred without listing the individual courses or credits. I've contacted AMCAS several times, but wasn't able to get a concrete approach to inputing the courses. That said, I just listed the courses as it is listed on my foreign transcript and assigned the credit hours to each course to total the lump sum amount listed on my US transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS is currently waiting for a transcript from X, I am assuming it was delivered on 06/05, and I see that they are currently marking transcripts as 'RECIEVED' that were delivered on 06/05. Not worried that it hasn't been 'RECIEVED' yet (will worry when they move on far past 06/05 transcripts) but today I received an email that transcript X was still missing.

Is this just an automated reminder email or can I assume that they viewed my 06/05 transcript, and that it was the wrong one or for some reason it didn't suffice the desired purpose, and they are waiting for me to send a completely new one? My transcript status hasn't changed it was last updated on 06/03 when AMCAS requested an additional transcript. Called, but couldn't get any where, maybe I wasn't explaining my question properly... Anyway, I'd appreciate any input!

@hopeful418

Assuming you submitted before all your transcripts were received, it is automated.

I submitted June 2nd around 8:30pm ET with all my transcripts in, but my application is not under review or verified yet. Should I be concerned? I'm probably overanalyzing, but looking at previous years' averages, it seems like people who submitted day 1 should be verified by now.

I submitted June 2nd around 8:30pm ET with all my transcripts in, but my application is not under review or verified yet. Should I be concerned? I'm probably overanalyzing, but looking at previous years' averages, it seems like people who submitted day 1 should be verified by now.
i believe there are still plenty of people not verified from June 2nd, myself included. Don't be concerned. AMCAS still says they are verifying applications submitted on June 2nd. Now if July rolls around and you still aren't verified, then you can be concerned.

i believe there are still plenty of people not verified from June 2nd, myself included. Don't be concerned. AMCAS still says they are verifying applications submitted on June 2nd. Now if July rolls around and you still aren't verified, then you can be concerned.

Thanks, that's reassuring! I need to remember it's still early.

Going off on @Nontrad8's question: If I choose more than 3 for a school that requires 3 but will take 3 additional ones, how do I assign the priority (as in I want the three main ones to be my strong letters, and the additional ones to be the positive but maybe not so personal/strong)?

Thanks. I submitted 06/02 was sorta verified on 06/03, then they requested an additional transcript. Change anything?

Not sure, but either way you are missing required documents.

If AMCAS isn't releasing the primaries until July 1st, why do schools say on MSAR you can submit them in June?

If AMCAS isn't releasing the primaries until July 1st, why do schools say on MSAR you can submit them in June?

Because the later you submit, the longer it takes for you to get verified, which does affect when AMCAS releases your primaries in July. It's basically submit as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone made an excel spreadsheet with the different letter of rec requirements?

I have a couple of classes where you had to be enrolled two semesters a year for credit. The first semester has no grade and no credit, but you have to be enrolled to receive credit during the second semester. How do I enter these into AMCAS? Is that what "deferred grade" is?

Last edited:
Has anyone made an excel spreadsheet with the different letter of rec requirements?
I took one look and ran fleeing back to my undergrad to get their committee letter, haha!

Reactions: 1 user
What are you able to change/edit in the AMCAS application after it has been verified?

What are you able to change/edit in the AMCAS application after it has been verified?
Contact information.

You can add schools, but not remove them from your list.
You can add LORs, but not remove them from your list (you can mark them as 'Not being sent'.
You can file an Academic Change Request pretty much only if AMCAS did something wrong with your grades during verification.

That's it.

My school mailed my transcript to AMCAS on June 08, and I am submitting my application tonight. From what I am reading on the verification threads, I will probably be verified mid to late July if my transcript is marked as received by June 25. Is this too late or disadvantageous as an applicant? This is taking into consideration that people have been verified early June. Thank you!

From the AMCAS Instruction Manual:

"Repeat (R)
This selection applies to each completed attempt for any course attempted more than once, unless the final grade initially received was Withdrawal or Incomplete.

A course entry must be made for each completed attempt of a repeated course, even if any mention of enrollment in the course has been removed from the transcript. In order to comply with the needs of medical schools, AMCAS includes all attempts of repeated courses in GPA calculations, even if they are not included in the school's GPA calculations.

If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate instution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat.

Do not select Repeat for courses designed to be repeated (e.g., Independent Study, Thesis, Chorus, etc)."
Question, I had AP credit for College Physics, then took University Physics, is that a repeat?

Also, how would you classify a humanities course? The courses in question were literature and writing heavy with incorporation of history.

So folks, I just submitted my AMCAS application. Whoo!

There's only one thing. My college does something weird where you don't have to take Chemistry I Lab if you take Honors Chemistry II Lab + Lecture. That's what I did, and when it came to listing Chem I Lab in my coursework, I marked it as Exempt because that's what it was for me. I didn't realize until just now, though, that AMCAS will not count it as a credit. I wouldn't be so worried if that wasn't such a necessary prerequisite! I went ahead and emailed them about it, but has this happened before?

And will this be a huge problem? Thanks guys.

Seems like the LOR thread is a bit inactive so I'll repost my question here. Hope you guys don't mind - if it's an issue, I'll delete this post.

I've heard about how letters from TA in lieu of a professor's are a bit shaky, but what about using a letter from a TA as a character letter? All I see on the guidelines is that the writer should mention how long they know me and how they know me.

I had a question regarding dual credit courses during high school. I took some courses in the college that I currently attend and listed them under years prior to freshman year of college. Do I need to list them under high school and if so how do I do that; I haven't found a way to add high school credit.

can we change the contact information for a work/activities section???

I've heard about how letters from TA in lieu of a professor's are a bit shaky, but what about using a letter from a TA as a character letter? All I see on the guidelines is that the writer should mention how long they know me and how they know me.

Unless the professor uses his or her letterhead and also signs the letter, it is of little value.

That is not based on any specific rule, but my opinion based on personal research and experiences.

Unless the professor uses his or her letterhead and also signs the letter, it is of little value.

That is not based on any specific rule, but my opinion based on personal research and experiences.
I see. I asked my supervisor at the hospital I volunteered at months ago for the character rec letter and even though I've been calling/emailing him multiple times, I think he's forgotten or he's too busy or something. Guess I'll just have to go down there and see him in person. If that doesn't work...well, that would really suck lol.

I'm in a sticky situation, sort of. I forgot I took a math course in a community college during high school (because I had finished the available math classes) and I didn't get a transcript or enter it on my AMCAS application :( I already hit "Submit" on my AMCAS. I didn't remember about this course until now because I'm doing the AACOMAS application and I just noticed the line on my college transcript that indicates I received some credit for it.

How screwed am I? Is it possible to rectify this?

Hey ya'll! So I'm taking OChem and Physics 2 over the summer, my classes finish August 14th and I'm wondering if I should submit before those grades are in or should I wait and submit later? Is there a way to update grades in the AMCAS after you've submitted?

Hey ya'll! So I'm taking OChem and Physics 2 over the summer, my classes finish August 14th and I'm wondering if I should submit before those grades are in or should I wait and submit later? Is there a way to update grades in the AMCAS after you've submitted?

If you are applying this cycle, I would apply before the grades. You likely would not get verified until mid-September, and that is pretty late.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are applying this cycle, I would apply before the grades. You likely would not get verified until mid-September, and that is pretty late.

Then update transcripts with each individual school in August correct?

You can't officially update grades in AMCAS. To be honest, 2 grades is probably not worth an update imo :shrug: They're things you need to finish because you'll need them before matriculation, but they likely won't be a part of your application, and that's OK.

I am in the same boat as you, but I decided to go to my institution today to go check if there was any problem. I found out that the transcript was mailed to my home address instead of AMCAS. Don't know how in the world this will happen. On the bright side, I don't have to fanatically check my email or AMCAS website anymore because that transcript isn't coming. LOL. I told them to send another one and this time I made sure they mailed it in my presence.

Haha that's crazy. I actually might expect that from my community college. The one from my university got there in a week but this one is taking forever! I might as well send another one just in case

As said above, there is not really any value in that until you matriculate.

By applying on-time, you would be forfeiting your ability to have these courses counted in your application GPA.

Okay. So I'm starting to freak out a little. I now my transcripts were mailed out on the 5th. Today AACOMAS marked them as received but AMCAS hasn't yet. How late is this going to make my application be?

Hey guys is it possible to get secondaries before submitting the required number of LOR for the school? or do i have to turn in all my LOR before the school sends me secondaries? Thank you
LOR are due with the secondaries. You'll receive the secondary request, and you'll be complete at the school once the receive the secondary and the LORs. Some schools will evaluate your file if one or two LORs haven't been received yet, and may act or put you in a pile to be looked at again later.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a sticky situation, sort of. I forgot I took a math course in a community college during high school (because I had finished the available math classes) and I didn't get a transcript or enter it on my AMCAS application :( I already hit "Submit" on my AMCAS. I didn't remember about this course until now because I'm doing the AACOMAS application and I just noticed the line on my college transcript that indicates I received some credit for it.

How screwed am I? Is it possible to rectify this?
Send the transcript to AMCAS ASAP. Call Amcas to fix before they send out to med schools.

Does anyone know how far along AMCAS is with the verifications?

So I wasn't entirely clear on amcas' policy when I read their FAQs, but I submitted my primary app on the 14th, but my transcript will probably be marked received on the 19th or 20th. Would I be added to the queue from the 20th? or would my place on line be on the 14th? Would anyone be able to clear me up on this? Thanks!

So I wasn't entirely clear on amcas' policy when I read their FAQs, but I submitted my primary app on the 14th, but my transcript will probably be marked received on the 19th or 20th. Would I be added to the queue from the 20th? or would my place on line be on the 14th? Would anyone be able to clear me up on this? Thanks!

You will be placed in the queue when your transcripts are received and you submit - so the 20th.

one of my transcripts was mailed out june 1st, still haven't received an email saying it's been received. what to do?! should I mail out another in case it was lost or if amcas ends up getting 2 transcripts from the same school, would they be confused?

Status
Not open for further replies.