*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I accidentally put the wrong institution name for one of my references on AMCAS (well it's not totally wrong but instead of putting the university my professor is at, I put one of the other organizations he is associated with). I can't edit any of the details so I have to make a new letter ID if I want to change it.

I feel really bad getting my prof to reupload the reference letter... since it is my mistake. Would keeping it as is negatively affect my application? :/

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any specific schools that penalize re-applicants by moving them down to later interview slots? I just saw this on another thread and I'd never heard about it before… o_O

Similar question as leahskye: I noticed an error in the names of one of my references. All of my letters are being sent through my University's letter service. Would there be any disadvantage to creating a new entry with the minor change and leaving the old one? (ie, do they require that all letter entries are received?)

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I accidentally put the wrong institution name for one of my references on AMCAS (well it's not totally wrong but instead of putting the university my professor is at, I put one of the other organizations he is associated with). I can't edit any of the details so I have to make a new letter ID if I want to change it.

I feel really bad getting my prof to reupload the reference letter... since it is my mistake. Would keeping it as is negatively affect my application? :/
It's up to you. It's not a big deal to email your professor a new letter ID, could serve as a reminder, and professors want to help as much as they can. Also, the letterhead will have the university, so no real problem if you leave it as is. If letter has been received, don't change anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Similar question as leahskye: I noticed an error in the names of one of my references. All of my letters are being sent through my University's letter service. Would there be any disadvantage to creating a new entry with the minor change and leaving the old one? (ie, do they require that all letter entries are received?)

Thank you.
If the name is wrong, it's wrong on the request form. This is a little impolite to your letter writer. You could easily send another, but can leave as is, the writer can correct it, AMCAS just needs the ID numbers.

If the name is wrong, it's wrong on the request form. This is a little impolite to your letter writer. You could easily send another, but can leave as is, the writer can correct it, AMCAS just needs the ID numbers.
If your letter has been received, don't change anything. No big problem.

Thanks so much for the advice guys! :) Super super helpful!

I have not sent the letter request form to the writer yet (unless a copy is emailed). If I am to send another, I can simply ignore the old entry?

Hi everyone! I have one question -- I have a few courses on my transcript that were originally incompletes but the work was made up and a real grade was assigned. I know for AMCAS you must select "incomplete" even if a grade was later assigned. My question is, will medical schools see that those grades were originally incomplete, or will they just see the grades?

I have not sent the letter request form to the writer yet (unless a copy is emailed). If I am to send another, I can simply ignore the old entry?
yeah, there may be a way to delete the entry

How do I "check" my verified AMCAS. I want to know if a couple of classes were accepted as BCPM

How do I "check" my verified AMCAS. I want to know if a couple of classes were accepted as BCPM
Once your verified, and you can check ur status by logging into AMCAS, you can print your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoops found the question thread.

"My official university transcript groups all the AP credits into "transfer credit" and does not individually list which AP credit the subject is for. On my degree progress report, I can see which subjects/courses the AP credit went to so I listed this in the course section on AMCAS. However, since the official transcript does not list the individual subject and only says "x units", will this be okay?

Thanks!"

I submitted my application on the first day, but I'm still waiting on my Committee Interview for my Committee Letter. Do medical schools process your round 1 application without letters? What will happen to my chances if I don't get my letter soon?

I submitted my application on the first day, but I'm still waiting on my Committee Interview for my Committee Letter. Do medical schools process your round 1 application without letters? What will happen to my chances if I don't get my letter soon?

You don't need to have your letter of recommendation in before your application gets verified and transmitted.

LOR are due with the secondaries. You'll receive the secondary request, and you'll be complete at the school once the receive the secondary and the LORs. Some schools will evaluate your file if one or two LORs haven't been received yet, and may act or put you in a pile to be looked at again later.

If this is true, you just saved me from an ulcer.

I am working off my application from last year (re-applicant); noticed my courses are not listed in the same order as on my transcript. I'm assuming its not an issue since I didn't have any problems last year after submitting, but the guide says to list them in order. There doesn't seem to be a method to changing the order besides deleting and adding all over again. Is it not a big deal? Or should I re-do this part?

Do schools that screen primaries also look at recommendation letters before sending secondary apps?

Do schools that screen primaries also look at recommendation letters before sending secondary apps?
Kinda the same question but when are secondaries due to school? Before or after secondaries?

So for letters of recommendations I have 3 from my university's profs, and 1 from volunteering. They all submitted their letters to interfolio and I'm preparing to send to AMCAS from interfolio. However I already created entries for the 3 profs on AMCAS and already assigned them to 4 medical schools and accidentally put them as Letter Packet option. I realized since it's compiled by interfolio and not my institution Letter Packet is not totally appropriate. Now that I already sent out my application I can't edit the entries, so should I make new entries and call them Individual Letters? Or is it okay as it is? If I have to cancel on the letters and tell the schools they will not be receiving the previously assigned letters, will this impact on me negatively? Thanks.

Letter of Evaluation question:

I have a letter from the neurologist I shadowed who is a DO. In it, she wrote that she is recommending me for osteopathic medicinal school. My question is, should I use this letter for my AMCAS application LOE even though it talks specifically about osteopathic medicine? Or should I ask her to rewrite it with more general language?

Thank you for any help on the topic!

Letter of Evaluation question:

I have a letter from the neurologist I shadowed who is a DO. In it, she wrote that she is recommending me for osteopathic medicinal school. My question is, should I use this letter for my AMCAS application LOE even though it talks specifically about osteopathic medicine? Or should I ask her to rewrite it with more general language?

Thank you for any help on the topic!
She has to rewrite it. Easy fix, get it in soon.

Do you check off "repeated course" only the second time you took the course or even the first time you originally took the course?

If I took a course that has a lab but I did not take the lab, do I still name it as "Course and Lab" or just "Course"?
I swear I read somewhere that as long as the course has a lab associated with it, you must name it as "Course and Lab" and check "Combined Lecture and Lab" even if you did not end up taking the lab. Is that true?

Hello SDN!

I have 3 quick questions regarding the Letter of Evaluation section:

1. I got a LOR from my chemistry professor in which I took two of his classes and was a supplementary instruction leader for his class.
Should I put Associate Teaching Professor under Primary Contact/Author's Title?
Or should I put Professor of Inorganic Chemistry?

2. What should I put for the organization name?

3. I got a LOR from a pediatric Doctor of Osteopathic medicine.
Should I put Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine under Primary Contact/Author's Title?

Thank you very much for all your help!

I am having trouble finding information on this, so I apologize if this is a repeat question.

I submitted my application today to one school and will obviously be applying to the rest once it is verified and I have my MCAT score, etc. When I add a school in the future, would it automatically send it right away to those schools? Also, some of my letters have not been submitted yet by my professors/research mentors. When they finally send them and AMCAS receives them, will they automatically send them to the schools for me?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Will it look bad if we put only 2 meaningful experiences?

Need some help here: I realized that the summer course I took was in the second summer session rather than the first (started in June, not May) and I already submitted/processed; is it worth sending a transcript update or change request to correct it? It doesn't impact my grade I took in the course nor were the actual dates for the course present in my transcript. Thanks for any suggestions or feedback!

Need some help here: I realized that the summer course I took was in the second summer session rather than the first (started in June, not May) and I already submitted/processed; is it worth sending a transcript update or change request to correct it? It doesn't impact my grade I took in the course nor were the actual dates for the course present in my transcript. Thanks for any suggestions or feedback!
If you're already verified by AMCAS, leave it alone. This is a mistake they should have caught on their end. Not a big deal though, your application is fine.

I am having trouble finding information on this, so I apologize if this is a repeat question.

I submitted my application today to one school and will obviously be applying to the rest once it is verified and I have my MCAT score, etc. When I add a school in the future, would it automatically send it right away to those schools? Also, some of my letters have not been submitted yet by my professors/research mentors. When they finally send them and AMCAS receives them, will they automatically send them to the schools for me?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Yes, after July 1, everything is automatically updated to the schools.

LOR question:

How long does AMCAS take to process letters they receive in the mail? My last letter should arrive there today or tomorrow and I'm wondering if it will be processed by Wednesday.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMCAS status update

This seems incorrect.

If you are referring to the language of the "AMCAS Processing is Complete" status, that has read that way since 6/2.

It's correct. AMCAS sent data to medical schools already. Click on the status, it says it.
Are you referring to what pops up when you click "details" next to application status? Where it says: "Application has been made available to the designated medical schools," in the definition column? If so, I don't think this is accurate. That statement has been there in the details box of my AMCAS ever since it was verified on June 4th, and I don't think they actually sent my primary out to medical schools on June 4th. My guess is that they wrote that into the system as the definition for processing complete, and they didn't make a separate definition for processing complete between June 2nd and June 30th.

It's correct. AMCAS sent data to medical schools already. Click on the status, it says it.

No, they did not; but it really doesn't make a difference as they are being transmitted in two days.

I've got a quick question. AMCAS verified my application using transcripts without my spring grades. I noticed that it said to "rush" them, but I was wondering exactly what that meant. They aren't very important grades, so do I just have my school send the transcripts to the admissions office of each school with a letter explaining. Do I need to call each school or email them (impossible to get a hold of) to let them know or will they understand the situation when they get a letter from me?

Thanks!

I've got a quick question. AMCAS verified my application using transcripts without my spring grades. I noticed that it said to "rush" them, but I was wondering exactly what that meant. They aren't very important grades, so do I just have my school send the transcripts to the admissions office of each school with a letter explaining. Do I need to call each school or email them (impossible to get a hold of) to let them know or will they understand the situation when they get a letter from me?

Thanks!
The application is verified, and the grading part is over. The schools don't need your new grades, and they will not be considered. When your rush the transcripts, sometimes there's an option to wait until current term grades are posted. In any case, forget it and worry about secondaries.

Bump. Is this true for any schools?

I cannot answer for every school, but the schools I am applying to (all, including those that screen) seem to review LORs in parallel with secondaries.

The application is verified, and the grading part is over. The schools don't need your new grades, and they will not be considered. When your rush the transcripts, sometimes there's an option to wait until current term grades are posted. In any case, forget it and worry about secondaries.

Well these grades were completed prior to submitting my application and have a prereq on them. They would certainly want them since I've finished my degree and all. Is it really just not worth it to send them?

REALLY important question. Can we electronically sign transfer request forums?!

Well these grades were completed prior to submitting my application and have a prereq on them. They would certainly want them since I've finished my degree and all. Is it really just not worth it to send them?
There's no appropriate way to send them. The med schools do not look at your transcript. It's not a problem that a pre-req is on there. You passed it. They will evaluate you on your verified AMCAS only, and ask about pre-reqs later. Sending the last semester grades is optional, and some students don't send them in order to save time for verification.

Last edited:
REALLY important question. Can we electronically sign transfer request forums?!

There should be a way through the system your using. Many systems have you print something, then sign it, then scan and upload back to the system.

There should be a way through the system your using. Many systems have you print something, then sign it, then scan and upload back to the system.

Yeah, just figured it out about an hour ago. Taken care of, thank you anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.