*Official August 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leelee12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This thread is for everyone that is writing the MCAT on August 4th, 5th, 19th, 20th or on the 25th.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Took the exam yesterday. I can't believe I'm done with studying ! I'm not gonna ramble on about how hard the exam was but word of advice: DO THE SECTION BANKS! (or redo them if you need to) There was literally a question copy and pasted onto my exam

Reactions: 4 users
Took the exam yesterday. I can't believe I'm done with studying ! I'm not gonna ramble on about how hard the exam was but word of advice: DO THE SECTION BANKS! (or redo them if you need to) There was literally a question copy and pasted onto my exam
Was the exam biochem heavy or physics heavy or anything?

Was the exam biochem heavy or physics heavy or anything?

Mine had a lot of gen chem, orgo and biochemistry and barely any physics as far as I can remember. Definitely make sure you know your orgo lab technique inside and out. Psych and sociology was from another world... I don't even know how to suggest to prepare, a lot of the questions literally had nothing to do with the passages.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mine had a lot of gen chem, orgo and biochemistry and barely any physics as far as I can remember. Definitely make sure you know your orgo lab technique inside and out. Psych and sociology was from another world... I don't even know how to suggest to prepare, a lot of the questions literally had nothing to do with the passages.

Yeah I heard the august mcats have been biochem/orgo heavy. Oh maybe the psych and soc were just knowing the terms? What did you use to prepare for the exam btw?

My 8/19 exam experience! I did a quick search on reddit and saw that there were a few different versions of the test offered and even one really similar to mine except with a different CARS section. It seems like you can expect 2 sections to be tough, and 2 to be more reasonable. For me, I was preferring a more reasonable first-half and I feel that's what I got.

Being nervous is normal so I think it's good to embrace the nerves as much as you can. I did some basic arm swings and rotations like at the gym before check-in to get my blood flowing and ease the tension a bit. I'm not a morning person so I waited in my car for a few people to check-in before me. I personally wanted to start my test a bit after 8 as opposed to 7:30. I would advise waking up early during the week leading up to the exam and also chill out a few days before. I still lightly studied even the day before my exam, but also had much lighter days than usual. I never understood why people would say to do this until recently- it's because a majority of the questions on the exam come from reading and reasoning. So stressing over a formula a day before isn't going to help much. It's better to be fresh and ready to reason through stuff. I also think it helps to psych yourself out and expect for all sections to be tough. During practice I tended to always start slow on my sections by being a bit timid in the beginning and then speeding through the later half. My personality is more on a the careful to neurotic side vs. impulsive, but on the exam you want to make sure you get through every question. So if there's a question you know, confidently pick it and continue :)

As for the exam! C/P had a little bit of everything without too much emphasis on calculations. I don't think I really number crunched anything crazier than a manipulation of a formula, especially to the annoying scientific notation level of the C/P section bank. I would say this felt more like the unscored / scored with a bit of SB sprinkled in.

CARS: It didn't feel that bad but this section is always hard to gauge. I was happy that it didn't seem overwhelming though. I was a bit ahead on time, got back on my pace after slowing down near the end on a boring music and then writing passage, and ended it feeling okay. I can't really judge verbal well so it's hard to give feedback! I would say that before your exam you need to be able to get through the scored CARS in a timely manner and read each passage in about 3-3.5 min. The passages might have been longer by a paragraph or so. But if you're pacing at 3-3.5 min per passage (reading) then an extra paragraph should take about 20 sec or so and won't throw your time.

B/B: This section was harder than C/P, but still fair. It felt more like the SB with a mix of unscored / scored. If you don't let the graphs throw you off it's manageable. Especially if there's a passage with like 3+ graphs, but it's only 4 questions. 2 of the questions are probably discretes in disguise, and 1 or 2 may come from the graphs. So don't let them bog you down!

P/S: This section was also tough. A lot of touchy / feeling / ambiguous passage based questions, but some gimmie definition types were sprinkled in. It's more about applying knowledge. I think it was tough but I had been reading about crazy P/S sections so I was mentally prepared for a tougher section here. The previous exam scores were probably getting too high on this section since they used to be more definition based so this section is becoming tougher.

Overall I think my test was tough! I won't know how well my feelings correlate to the actual thing until I get my score, but I would mainly recommend focusing on timing and pace. Letting one question bog you down isn't worth the entire section, especially if you're having to speed through a few passages just to get one thing right. And the worst case would be if you waste time and don't even figure out that question. Try to get through everything and be rested and ready to read and analyze through 39 passages + discretes. They have to do a check-in procedure every time you enter and exit the room so time your breaks accordingly by giving yourself 3+ minutes to get back to your station. My testing center was also super cold so I would wear layers. This guy next to me was freezing by 8 a.m. in a t-shirt and shorts. I wore 3 layers the entire time and I was still kind of cold.

I'll be on here starting to offer free tutoring for biochem materials and high-yield stuff on the section banks so PM if you're interested :) I'll be reaching out to those that had previously PMed me before.

Reactions: 2 users
Just finished up my MCAT this morning...I can't believe how little physics was on there...I know where I wasted a ton of time studying

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just finished up my MCAT this morning...I can't believe how little physics was on there...I know where I wasted a ton of time studying

Woah really?! a lot of people who took the August 19th mentioned a lot of physics.. Hopefully the other studying payed off for you!

Def agree the test was closer to the section bank than either than sample or scored practice exam (In terms of style/interpreting data, I didn't really find a lot of biochem). I took the scored practice a few days ago and got a 514/85%. Hoping to be around the same for the real one. The next 30days are going to be agonizing! :arghh:

Did you use the section back to prepare?

Did the entire section bank. P/S has always been my strongest section in practice. Got a 130 on the scored AAMC. This section today however felt like the AAMC just gave zero ****s and decided to smoke a fat blunt instead.

Passages with rather amorphous experimental conclusions and wtf questions. Quite a few low yield content discretes. I think I might have marked 20 questions.

Reactions: 4 users
Did the entire section bank. P/S has always been my strongest section in practice. Got a 130 on the scored AAMC. This section today however felt like the AAMC just gave zero ****s and decided to smoke a fat blunt instead.

Passages with rather amorphous experimental conclusions and wtf questions. Quite a few low yield content discretes. I think I might have marked 20 questions.

Well 130 is really good..! You might have done better than you thought but it seems lot don't think they did well either. How was the Chem/phys?

Well 130 is really good..! You might have done better than you thought but it seems lot don't think they did well either. How was the Chem/phys?

Yeah quite a few ppl on Reddit agree w/ me about P/S, here's hoping for a sweet sweet curve.

C/P was pretty fair I thought. Similar to section bank, biochem based passages. roughly equal mix of physics and orgo questions. Surprisingly had 3 kinematics questions

Members don't see this ad :)
My C/P was pretty tough I thought. Some extremely tough experimental passages and questions. I also thought the P/S section was pretty bad but I always feel that way so who knows.

I thought CARS and B/B was very nice overall with only a couple of tough passages. Much closer to the scored and practice tests than section bank.

The one thing I found odd was only having a single organic chemistry question. I'm not going to complain because I honestly put almost no focus on it. The one question was a gimme even, nothing even remotely difficult.

Yeah I heard the august mcats have been biochem/orgo heavy. Oh maybe the psych and soc were just knowing the terms? What did you use to prepare for the exam btw?

I used TPR books for content review. Prior to studying I heard that they were very detail heavy but I felt like that actually helped on the exam since there were many low yield questions. I would definitely recommend the books. For P/S I felt as if I knew all the terms after going through TPR and also Khan. The difficult part with that section is that they had vague questions in relation to the passage and more vague answers. Most of the time you can narrow it down to two answers but then it gets hard.

Any tips on how to choose schools to apply at this time without knowing MCAT score?
and would it be worse if I'm a reapplicant next year?

Overall good MCAT experience. I felt really good about the exam! Like everyone else said, that P/S section is a bit :bullcrap: . With that, I'll just wait for my score next month. My friends told me that I should check my score after my BJJ practice, not before practice. lol. Good luck to everyone else taking the MCAT the rest of this month!

So I just did the C/P Section bank...that was HARD. lol I hope someone agrees. It was 60% about enzymes.. I hope my Thursday exam isn't as dry and complex...

I'm taking the Mcat in January is there anyone in the metro Detroit area in Michigan wanting to link up and study for this test up until January???

So I just did the C/P Section bank...that was HARD. lol I hope someone agrees. It was 60% about enzymes.. I hope my Thursday exam isn't as dry and complex...

I agree...it starts to make sense after going over it a second time lol. I'm taking it next Thursday too

I took it on 8/20.. I actually felt that the bio/biochem was the hardest. Did anybody else feel like B/B messed them up? Like WTF hard! CARS was OK, and Psych/Soc and Chem/Phys were a breeze.

I took it on 8/20.. I actually felt that the bio/biochem was the hardest. Did anybody else feel like B/B messed them up? Like WTF hard! CARS was OK, and Psych/Soc and Chem/Phys were a breeze.

For me, I thought the Biochem was much easier than the p/c. I really struggled with the p/c section

FOr me, bio/biochem is just ok. There's 1 passage that I'm not sure about and spent most time on it. Other passages were just similar to the question pack. Most of my bio/biochem section is biology. The biochem was actually more in the P/C section and there are only 2 passages about physics. My P/c was the easiest one. I finished it early and had time to review all the marked questions. My P/S was the hardest with all long passages about practical situations and very similar answers. It took me more time thinking about the answers ---> finished all of them on time, didn't have time to go back to review the marked questions

Did AAMC Scored yesterday, got 128, 127, 130, 127 (512). Think I can get at least a 510 on the real thing?

Did AAMC Scored yesterday, got 128, 127, 130, 127 (512). Think I can get at least a 510 on the real thing?
From what I've heard, most people are + or - 2 from their AAMC scores, barring any extreme cases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

did anyone else find the aamc scored bio section easy af. I had like 20 minutes leftover after I finished it. Whereas Ive been doing nextstep exams and getting 504-506

did anyone else find the aamc scored bio section easy af. I had like 20 minutes leftover after I finished it. Whereas Ive been doing nextstep exams and getting 504-506

great scored fl!
what was your breakdown on the nextstep exams? I'm getting similar scores to you on nextstep and would love to see a score of 510+ on the scored haha

I have been getting around 126-128 on the NS FLs depends on which one. I always went against my gut. But this scored I went fast and tried to read and just choose an answer and it definitely helped. But the bio on was just super easy. I got a 81% on the aamc unscored, 78% on the C/P section bank, 80 on the bio section bank. I want a minimum of a 510 and I test on thursday. I just hope there isn't too much physics, I absolutely loathe physics

I'm writing on the 25th and the reaction posts of ppl who got their scores back recently were far from encouraging..I wish I had't seen that . I scored 512 on the scored FL (would be more than happy if I got this on the real deal) and thought I could feel somewhat confident going in but I guess anything can happen :/

I'm writing on the 25th and the reaction posts of ppl who got their scores back recently were far from encouraging..I wish I had't seen that . I scored 512 on the scored FL (would be more than happy if I got this on the real deal) and thought I could feel somewhat confident going in but I guess anything can happen :/

Are you talking about people who received their July scores or based on how their August test experience was?

Are you talking about people who received their July scores or based on how their August test experience was?
Probably means the July 22nd testers. There was some significant disappointment and a lot of point movement outside the expected deviation. Either way, don't worry about it for now and just keep concentrating on your test. Be confident and stay focused, a positive attitude going into the test is fundamental. If you get flustered, take 5-10 seconds to recollect yourself and get back into your flow.

Wow, I am not feeling good after reading the July MCAT thread. Waiting these next 2 weeks to get my score is going to be fun....

Probably means the July 22nd testers. There was some significant disappointment and a lot of point movement outside the expected deviation. Either way, don't worry about it for now and just keep concentrating on your test. Be confident and stay focused, a positive attitude going into the test is fundamental. If you get flustered, take 5-10 seconds to recollect yourself and get back into your flow.

Yeah I agree! I take mine tomorrow as well and it's my second retake after my June 18th test. I was disappointed by my score then so hopefully it moves up despite hearing about the deviation not being great..:(

Good luck everyone on the MCAT tomorrow, I just did a light review and some Cars passages to keep my mind active after a day of being at work. Ready to kill this exam tomorrow!

I thought C/P was tougher than the rest. What about you guys? Verbal was fair. Bio started off ok, then the last few passages I got caught up with some experimentals. Psychology was manageable too.

Last edited:
I felt like it was a weird mix of really hard and really easy questions, esp. in my b/b section. Don't really know how I feel

Some of the B/B passages really SUCKED. The discretes were fair.

The other sections were alright.