OFFICIAL Harvard Medical School Class of '09 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sparky Man said:
thanks everyone! wow, this is soooooo unexpected. i just can't believe it! i was supposed to fly to st. louis to find an apt. for wash u next fall. as i'm printing my itinerary, i get this email and a phone call from harvard :love:

congrats sparky! i look forward to having yet another fellow sdn'er in our class! =)

Members don't see this ad.

Mateodaspy said:
congrats sparky! i look forward to having yet another fellow sdn'er in our class! =)

Hey, thanks Matt! Yeah, I'm really excited. It will be so weird to meet SDN people. Is most everyone living in Vandy? I will probably live off campus, but very nearby if possible. I hope that doesn't alienate me from the rest of the class.

Sparky

Sparky Man said:
Hey, thanks Matt! Yeah, I'm really excited. It will be so weird to meet SDN people. Is most everyone living in Vandy? I will probably live off campus, but very nearby if possible. I hope that doesn't alienate me from the rest of the class.

Sparky

I think most everyone in the first year class (roughly 80%) live in Vandy but I won't be and I know a couple others that won't living there so we aren't alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll be in castle next year! which academic society did everyone else get?

Mateodaspy said:
Just set up your ecommons account (https://ecommons.med.harvard.edu/), then look up your name and your society name should appear right next to it.

It's funny because I did this on your suggestion and got into all the ecommons stuff. Then I read on the prematriculation site that we wouldn't be able to get into ecommons or our e-mail until orientation. Funny how HMS isn't up on their technology limitations (remember admissions--ugh!). It makes me wonder if its possible to get an e-mail address earlier though.

16hoursleeper said:
It's funny because I did this on your suggestion and got into all the ecommons stuff. Then I read on the prematriculation site that we wouldn't be able to get into ecommons or our e-mail until orientation. Funny how HMS isn't up on their technology limitations (remember admissions--ugh!). It makes me wonder if its possible to get an e-mail address earlier though.

Heh, I've tried to get my email address through IT, but to no avail. Looks like I'll have to stick with gmail until September =(

Does anyone know when our anticipated financial aid awards will be posted to our term bill accounts? Otherwise, I'm going to be stuck paying 22k by August 1st :rolleyes:

Hey everyone,

I was also recently accepted off the HMS waitlist, and I'm definitely coming in the fall!

Too bad I already got an apartment in Providence and have to break the lease...I wish the financial aid office would include an "exorbitant fees you have to pay to come to HMS b/c you were accepted off the waitlist" category in their budget! :mad:

Anyways, I can't wait to meet you all in the fall!

Ariela

athena877 said:
Hey everyone,

I was also recently accepted off the HMS waitlist, and I'm definitely coming in the fall!

Too bad I already got an apartment in Providence and have to break the lease...I wish the financial aid office would include an "exorbitant fees you have to pay to come to HMS b/c you were accepted off the waitlist" category in their budget! :mad:

Ariela

Wow, congratulations Ariela!!! That's super! :) It's going to be fun to meet everyone this August/September!

Sparky

athena877 said:
Hey everyone,

Ariela

Congrats, Ariela! It must be such a relief to know that you can stay in Boston and won't have to move. =) Will you be living at Vandy?

Mateodaspy said:
Congrats, Ariela! It must be such a relief to know that you can stay in Boston and won't have to move. =) Will you be living at Vandy?

Yup, definitely living in Vandy...room 219 :) Also trying to do FUNC, but apparently I'm on another waitlist for that...ah the joy of waitlists!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'll be participating in FUNC. Does anyone know how many of us there will be?

Sparky

Hello,

I am away from home and the friend that is collecting my mail for me has told me that a large envelope has arrived from Harvard. I was wondering if any of you could tell me what it is, and more specifically, if it is something that I need to respond to before I return home on Aug. 16th.

Thanks- I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

leaft said:
Hello,

I am away from home and the friend that is collecting my mail for me has told me that a large envelope has arrived from Harvard. I was wondering if any of you could tell me what it is, and more specifically, if it is something that I need to respond to before I return home on Aug. 16th.

Thanks- I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

I think it is the packet containing info about how to keep your contact info up to date (which we also got via email), some minimal summer reading and some info about their program for first years to follow a patient around for a year and keep a journal. So no, nothing to respond to before aug 16th.

Sparky Man said:
Hey, I'll be participating in FUNC. Does anyone know how many of us there will be?

Sparky

Judging from the size of the e-mail list.... it should be somewhere close to 50 -- about a third of the class.

Anyone else excited about FUNC--or school in general? only 3.5 weeks left!

Mateodaspy said:
Judging from the size of the e-mail list.... it should be somewhere close to 50 -- about a third of the class.

Anyone else excited about FUNC--or school in general? only 3.5 weeks left!

Yeah Matt, I'm really excited. I think it's gonna be an amazing time! FUNC sounds like a cool way to meet everyone while exploring outreach in Boston. Anyone ready to root for the Red Sox?

Sparky

CarleneM said:
I think it is the packet containing info about how to keep your contact info up to date (which we also got via email), some minimal summer reading and some info about their program for first years to follow a patient around for a year and keep a journal. So no, nothing to respond to before aug 16th.

Carlene- thanks for the quick reply. that makes me feel better about not getting my mail right away. this whole medical school application/admissions process has gotten me obsessed with the mail.

And in response to matt... I am so excited! To start school, move to boston, meet everyone, do FUNC, everything!

Hey everyone,

Any thoughts on living offcampus in Fenway? Also, is Mission Hill really unsafe or is it just rumors?

P.S. Carlene!! Clean your SDN message box!! apparently you can't accept anymore until you clear some out.

Julstar133 said:
Hey everyone,

Any thoughts on living offcampus in Fenway? Also, is Mission Hill really unsafe or is it just rumors?

P.S. Carlene!! Clean your SDN message box!! apparently you can't accept anymore until you clear some out.

Julstar- I deleted all my old messages. I didn't realize I had amassed so many!

I wouldn't say its just rumors about mission hill being unsafe but its all relative. Mission hill is certainly not the worst part of boston but compared to the brookline side (the other side of longwood), it would seem to be more unsafe/rundown. The brigham circle area (technically considered part of mission hill, I think) is becoming more and more gentrified though. Mission hill has a diverse mix of undergrads, recent grads, and low income housing due to its proximity to a number of colleges and poorer neighborhoods. The fenway area is ok but is known to get a little sketchy at night. You could also check out jamaica plain and brookline village or coolidge corner. I would just visit the places, if you can, and see what you think since I don't think any of them are areas to be ruled out.

hey, I lost the link to the HMS student website and I can't find it anywhere on the general HMS website. Can someone post it for me. Or if you would prefer, just send it to me in a personal message. Thanks.

Jared (HMS-HST Class of '09)

Does anyone know what classes we will be taking first semester and what they involve?? I'm trying to decide what books to lug with me all the way to Boston.

I started a facebook group (harvard med '09)...please join so that I'm not the only one in it~

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

hi everyone,

scratch the facebook group. apparently i can't make groups that cross various school domains...so sad. if anyone knows how this can be done, let me know.

Alright guys, I found a really nice 2BR/1.5 BA apartment superclose to campus, but I am still looking for a roomate. If anyone is still looking for a roomate or know someone that is, please email [email protected]. Thanks!!

Mateodaspy said:
Just set up your ecommons account (https://ecommons.med.harvard.edu/), then look up your name and your society name should appear right next to it.

how do you set up an account? i managed to log in but when i tried searching myself, i couldn't find my name...

Yalie,
I tried searching for myself this morning, and I can't find myself. But I could the other day. I also tried to search for a couple other people in our class, and none of us were showing up. So i think they took the class of '09 off the site for now.

leaft said:
Yalie,
I tried searching for myself this morning, and I can't find myself. But I could the other day. I also tried to search for a couple other people in our class, and none of us were showing up. So i think they took the class of '09 off the site for now.[/QUOTE

thanks for your response:)

Does anyone know what cellular service works well in Boston? I have Sprint pcs now but I heard it doesnt work well in Vandy...

I have verizon and it worked pretty well during undergrad years...as long as the building is not superthick concrete, it works great.

wishnhopn said:
Does anyone know what cellular service works well in Boston? I have Sprint pcs now but I heard it doesnt work well in Vandy...

athena877 said:
I have verizon and it worked pretty well during undergrad years...as long as the building is not superthick concrete, it works great.

I have cingular and that works well for me. the only place it hasn't worked: upstate vermont.

i just found out today that i'm in castle!

Yalie05 said:
i just found out today that i'm in castle!

i'm in castle, too! are you doing func or feat [or neither]?

i'm doing func, so i'll be leaving for boston in a week! yay! i'm so excited about starting med school! guess i'll be seeing you there, mateodaspy! are you doing any of the func recommended reading? i had read mountains beyond mountains a couple of months ago and i just got the spirit catches you and you fall down from the bookstore yesterday. i hope it's as good as they say it is.

who's moving into vandy on sunday?

i'm arriving on sunday, so i guess i am:) we are allowed to move in on sunday, right? do you know as of what time? i must've glossed over some info as i was reading the millions letters they've sent up...

Yalie05 said:
i'm arriving on sunday, so i guess i am:) we are allowed to move in on sunday, right? do you know as of what time? i must've glossed over some info as i was reading the millions letters they've sent up...

wow, it's going to be great to meet everyone. i'm not in vandy, but i moved into the fenway area on monday. last night, i could hear the rolling stones concert at fenway park!

this is getting exciting...

sparky

Hey there! I'm not too familiar with SDN but just found you guys today. I'm very excited to meet everyone in just a couple of days. I just moved to Brookline (couldn't handle the idea of living in a dorm again! Plus I got locked in a bathroom stall in Vandy night before my interview which didn't help the first impression!)

Anyway, friends and family in town visiting so decided not to do FUNC or FEAT. If anyone has plans to get together before Orientation, let me know!

I'm moving this Saturday ... yes, the lateness...

Does anyone know of any stores close by longwood that sell furniture (Bed, dresser, couch, etc.) ???

Julstar133 said:
I'm moving this Saturday ... yes, the lateness...

Does anyone know of any stores close by longwood that sell furniture (Bed, dresser, couch, etc.) ???

I'm pretty new to town, and don't know stores persay, but if you don't mind buying used furniture and sifting thru stuff, I recommend Craig's list. I picked up an almost new computer desk from a French grad student two doors down from me for $60. There are lots of people moving out of town or just have some furniture to sell. Some will deliver for free or small fee. Thing are easier though if you have a car. You can search by location, such as longwood, brighton, brookline, fenway depending on how far you want to go to lug the furniture back. Longwood often has med students, residents, fellow who are moving and getting rid of everything from TV to air conditioners.

Moving in is a pain with all the stairs here! Good luck, let me know if you want any help.

i know it's probably entirely unhip to still be on here, but i had to ask: any hms '09ers still lurking around on sdn?

Mateodaspy said:
i know it's probably entirely unhip to still be on here, but i had to ask: any hms '09ers still lurking around on sdn?

well, yeah, but just don't tell anyone

hey guys!

i'm still here...i haven't been here in a loooonng time so i'm not that unhip. i'm so glad i've gotten to know you guys! you guys are awesome! matt, i just wanted to let you know that today i found my acromion! i actually have one!

Body block ends tomorrow! (and of course, here I am on SDN for the first time in a month....)

Hey, everybody,

I need some help in deciding which program is best at Harvard University (New Pathway(NP) or Health Sciences and Technology(HST))? I read through their program descriptions, but little confuse about why they accept 160 students for NP program and only 30 students for HST program........................................... .....Is that mean HST is higher level program than NP?...........................thanks.........

Do you have to get both MD/PhD in NP program? or u can only just MD?

Hey guys,

I am studying medicine in Ireland and hope to write the USMLEs and do a residency in the US. My medical course is lectures-based. Most students over here use each lecture as a template, go to the recommended textbook, and then make notes from portions of the textbook that are relevant to the lecture. Afterwards, we then add info from the lecture not found in the textbook to our set of notes. Basically, we create our own set of notes from the lecture and the textbook.

Lately I’ve become really curious as to how you guys study in the US during your courses. Do you guys get….
1) Lectures and just study the lectures
2) Lectures and supplement with the textbook like us
3) Lectures but don’t bother using them of even attending them and just read the textbooks (seems like a lot – don’t know if this is possible unless using review book or small textbook – could you specify if you are reading review books or actual textbooks – for example, I would consider Guyton a textbook and Costanzo a review book for physiology)
4) Coursepackages (ie. booklets containing notes made by your professors) that you just study and don’t bother at all with textbooks
5) Or does it depend on the course and professor and your study method varies

If you guys could let me know how the material is presented to you guys and how you study that would be awesome. Lately Ive been second guessing the way Im studying because Im thinking maybe I should be studying more like a US student if I am to do well on the USMLEs. If this makes any sense?

Finally, I was hoping you guys could tell me what textbooks you use for the following courses (if you guys use them in your study)….
1) Neuroanatomy
2) Biochemistry
3) Behavioral Sciences
4) Pathology
5) Pharmacology
6) Cell biology and Histology
7) Microbiology and Immunology

Thanks guys. I would really appreciate any help!!!!