**Official: July 25, 2013 MCAT**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guess we should go ahead and start this up!

T-minus: 110 days...

Happy studying, my fellow hopeless souls.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm verified, done with secondaries, and do not know what to do with myself lol... feels great!

Yup I've already made 3 trips to the liquor store since Thursday haha :) I have all of my MCAT materials in a pile in my closet, (hopefully) ready to be donated to the next poor student neurotic enough to take the MCAT

haha wish all of you guys the best of luck with scores and I'm sure I'll be back to see how yall did in a monthish

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm verified, done with secondaries, and do not know what to do with myself lol... feels great!

What does "Verified" mean? Secondaries, I assume, are secondary apps? I just got my boss to submit her letter of rec for me today, so I'm currently writing my personal statement, which I plan on submitting by 1 AUG. I have all of my transcripts in. Anything else I'm missing? As a post-bac, we really lack the resources that you traditional pre-meds are afforded! :D

What does "Verified" mean? Secondaries, I assume, are secondary apps? I just got my boss to submit her letter of rec for me today, so I'm currently writing my personal statement, which I plan on submitting by 1 AUG. I have all of my transcripts in. Anything else I'm missing? As a post-bac, we really lack the resources that you traditional pre-meds are afforded! :D

It means having your primary verified. You should have done this in June or July, as the longer you wait, the longer it takes for the aamc to check your application. You can submit your primary before you have LOR submitted, and you should have. Yes, hindsight but if you reapply, really read up on this.

God damn it... with every day that goes by, I think worse and worse of my score lol hopefully Aug 27 will bring a pleasant surprise

I'm right there with you about feeling worse and worse. I also had a dream that I somehow got a 40....like that's gonna happen haha.

And look at me posting on this thread again. I should really stop thinking about this test :oops:.

I'm right there with you about feeling worse and worse. I also had a dream that I somehow got a 40....like that's gonna happen haha.

And look at me posting on this thread again. I should really stop thinking about this test :oops:.

Haha my dreams alternate between miraculously scoring a 40+ and scoring a 22.

It's so hard not to think about it when all we're doing is waiting! :eek:

i don't care about the PS and BS this cycle since I'm in Canada but I'm more worried about the verbal each day. from the few EK verbal tests i did it seemed that the more confident i was in my answers the more likely it was that they were wrong .

i felt very confident about most of my answers :scared:

Any insight into why there is the same delay on scoring for the essay-less, computerized test as there is for the one where they scored an essay test, other than keeping it obtusely consistent? Because, given that the scoring scale is already set from previous data, I can't find a real reason for it to take a month to score it.

Any insight into why there is the same delay on scoring for the essay-less, computerized test as there is for the one where they scored an essay test, other than keeping it obtusely consistent? Because, given that the scoring scale is already set from previous data, I can't find a real reason for it to take a month to score it.

They want the time to make people worry and sign up for another test date. Many many people do this, and it's free revenue.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is also my first time posting on sdn after lurking for about a year or so.

PS: I thought that this section was very reasonable. After taking several of the Kaplan full-lengths and section tests, I felt adequately prepared.

VR: Like the aamc's, I thought there was a mix of easy, moderate, and hard passages. I'm 99% sure that this will be my lowest section, but I did not find it out of the ordinary.

BS: Not too bad. Again, I'm used to taking the detail-oriented Kaplan tests.

AAMC average: 11/9/12

I would appreciate any feedback/discussion about how you guys felt about the test.

PS - thought the discretes were more challenging than aamc exams, but in line with kaplan practice tests, overall I thought it was alright although my heart was pounding the first 10 minutes into the test

VR- verbal is verbal, you never know, I agree some of the passages were challenging but it is what it is

BS- pumped to see those two organic chem passages, the bio was pretty straight forward, I for sure thought this would be the toughest section but after it ended I was pretty happy and thought I did well. Again some discretes were challenging.

My aamc's weren't particularly strong and neither were my kaplan scores but Im one of those people that steps up when its game time so hopefully I got the score. I felt good after the test but maybe that's because I was pumped it was over haha. who knows. fingers crossed.

The orgo disrete asked what compound was needed for a two-step reaction. My memory is blurry but it was similar to a specific and familiar "annulation" reaction. It wasn't necessarily difficult, but it was difficult for the MCAT. Just did not see any question like it on AAMC's. But then again, I took all the AAMC's last summer and only took a couple again for this retake, so my memory of organic questions is also blurry.

If you had Orgo II fresh in your mind then it should have been easy. But for me it took a while because it had been two and a half years. So I went and did the mechanism on paper haha. But yea if you recognized the reaction and looked at the choices it could have been a quick question.

The orgo disrete asked what compound was needed for a two-step reaction. My memory is blurry but it was similar to a specific and familiar "annulation" reaction. It wasn't necessarily difficult, but it was difficult for the MCAT. Just did not see any question like it on AAMC's. But then again, I took all the AAMC's last summer and only took a couple again for this retake, so my memory of organic questions is also blurry.

If you had Orgo II fresh in your mind then it should have been easy. But for me it took a while because it had been two and a half years. So I went and did the mechanism on paper haha. But yea if you recognized the reaction and looked at the choices it could have been a quick question.

Yuup. Missed it on a last second answer switch. Sigh.

So...two-step annulation in Orgo II...I'm gonna guess Robinson...? *goes to review*

Yeah to be honest I just finished org 2 last semester and it took me a while to figure out what kind of retrosynthetic mechanism was going on there haha I haven't really seen more complex org 2 retrosynthesis in my practice tests so I assumed I was over complicating things again :p

Yeah to be honest I just finished org 2 last semester and it took me a while to figure out what kind of retrosynthetic mechanism was going on there haha I haven't really seen more complex org 2 retrosynthesis in my practice tests so I assumed I was over complicating things again :p

LOL yea...I am pretty sure I muttered "you can't be f***ing serious" after seeing that question. Hope no one in the testing center heard me lol :p .

A couple things to say about July 25th..

1. Im thinking aamc just asked EK to write the questions this time.
2. I really think verbal WAS longer. I wouldnt say tougher, theres always going to be a tough passage or two. My first verbal practice test scores were averaging a 6. Took a verbal test every day for a month and brought it to a consistent 11. I've gotten to know how long it will take me to read different passages, and I felt this test didn't add up. I got used to one if not 2 shorter passages per test. The difficulty on test day was each passage was about the same length, and what I consider as long. I felt the last 2 passages were tough because of a time crunch. I feel like scores will reflect reading speed more than anything.
3. I can't remember a tough organic question.. hints..?
4. I'm surprised no one mentioned a poorly written bio question. You could justify one of the wrong answers because of its wording, I believe. it was a really common concept question, usually with the same differentiation between two answers. I can't remember it for the life of me just remember thinking someone will report the error.
There was definitely an ambiguous concept question in bio, i just didn't know if it would be worth bothering with an error report.

God damn it... with every day that goes by, I think worse and worse of my score lol hopefully Aug 27 will bring a pleasant surprise

Same here, I have this sinking feeling that I left questions blank or something like that. Ugh

The Bio section was heavy on the OChem, at least for my tastes. I got that weird ochem discrete too where I had no effing clue what to do. I swear the discretes on both sciences ranged from hard to effing ridiculous

The Bio section was heavy on the OChem, at least for my tastes. I got that weird ochem discrete too where I had no effing clue what to do. I swear the discretes on both sciences ranged from hard to effing ridiculous

I think the ochem discrete that messed with *everyone* was that annulation mentioned above.

Looking at that July 2nd thread is making me nervous. Seems like a mixed bag like always. Some people who thought they did bad ended up doing well and some people got well below their AAMC average. Ugh, this wait really sucks.

Looking at that July 2nd thread is making me nervous. Seems like a mixed bag like always. Some people who thought they did bad ended up doing well and some people got well below their AAMC average. Ugh, this wait really sucks.

Seems like more did below average than above. :eek:

Seems like more did below average than above. :eek:

Go outside and have some fun, Jesus. It sounds like you need it. Quit creeping that thread.

Sigh premeds who don't know when to relax.....poor things. :beat::beat::beat:

So which section did you guys find the most difficult? On the July 2 exam it seemed that their BS was ungodly, however, most of them received scores that matched their aamc average. Thoughts?

VR will be my worst I think, I still feel confident my score will be 30+ and that's all I can ask for. I may have broken a 10 depending on how many I got wrong on that last passage.

Thankfully no bad dreams about the score.... yet... lol

I agree, I thought the verbal was the most difficult part of our exam. I think the placement of the most difficult passages caused it to take me by surprise. It also felt like the passages were longer, which threw me off, but maybe it's just the font like everyone else is saying.
The bio was a bit tough but not ridiculous, in my opinion. PS was very fair.

I remembered BS being pretty good and didn't remember the "hard orgo discrete" everyone was talking about until now, with all the hints. Yep, pretty sure I guessed on it, which makes me REALLY worried that I rejected all the hard questions from memory. -___- aksjdhfkah

not sure whether I hate amcas more for the long primary verification time or the wait for mcat scores. :thumbdown:

I remembered BS being pretty good and didn't remember the "hard orgo discrete" everyone was talking about until now, with all the hints. Yep, pretty sure I guessed on it, which makes me REALLY worried that I rejected all the hard questions from memory. -___- aksjdhfkah

not sure whether I hate amcas more for the long primary verification time or the wait for mcat scores. :thumbdown:

LOL I was thinking the same thing, the whole test went by in a flash.

all the waiting, all of it.

Yo guys hate to be a dumb ass but what's the expected score release date again? Aug 25?
Aug 27 around 3 pm! From what I've heard scores are always released before 5 pm. The official AAMC twitter will tell you when scores are posted if you don't feel like logging into your account all the time. Plus I'm sure there will be quite a few of us freaking out over here lol

Ugh that's a Tuesday and scores would be released while I'm at work. Probably won't check it until I get home. Don't want to disrupt the lab with my weeping or obnoxiously loud celebration.

Two weeks from today! :eek: How do we still have two weeks left?

Sorry for bumping this for no reason in particular LOL misery loves company and I'm definitely miserable while waiting

Sorry for bumping this for no reason in particular LOL misery loves company and I'm definitely miserable while waiting

I was thinking this exact same thing and about to do it. Anyone have any pre-MCAT scoring rituals? I've been waiting to do my last bits on the application to make sure my scores were decent before submission.

I was thinking this exact same thing and about to do it. Anyone have any pre-MCAT scoring rituals? I've been waiting to do my last bits on the application to make sure my scores were decent before submission.

Are you talking about the AMCAS primary? If I were you I would submit them asap because it takes a long time to get verified, especially right now. You can add more medical schools later.

Alcohol, lots of alcohol.

Do something fun before school starts up again! Take a road trip...learn how to cook new dishes...try a new activity - golf? bowling? salsa?...or obviosuly shadow a doc for two to three days...hopefully it will take your mind off the MCAT!

I wish I had some free time, but research and the application cycle will be consuming my life for the next 10 months. It's not so bad though, considering that I am typing this at work right now :p ...