*Official June 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! Figured I'd start this thread since I recently started preparing for the June 18th MCAT. For those of you who are taking the June 2nd MCAT, June 18th MCAT, or still considering one of those two dates, feel free to post here with any questions, comments, concerns, or support you have to offer!

Good luck to you all! Let's crush it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Our thread seems so quiet.

So far I have spent my entire spring break studying, having to play catch up unfortunately. I decided to use TPR almost exclusively this time around with little bits of EK supplementation where needed or where TPR is too drawn out and boring (looking at you physics :yeahright:). Thinking about doing a FL next weekend just to see where I am at. Anyone else having problems with motivation? Getting a crappy score makes me want to curl into a ball and just sleep. I am trying so hard not to get dejected, but this whole process is so intense.

Reactions: 2 users
Our thread seems so quiet.

So far I have spent my entire spring break studying, having to play catch up unfortunately. I decided to use TPR almost exclusively this time around with little bits of EK supplementation where needed or where TPR is too drawn out and boring (looking at you physics :yeahright:). Thinking about doing a FL next weekend just to see where I am at. Anyone else having problems with motivation? Getting a crappy score makes me want to curl into a ball and just sleep. I am trying so hard not to get dejected, but this whole process is so intense.

Feel similar but am getting more motivated as test time comes closer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I'm wondering if anyone wanted to start a club/meeting/skype session/google doc (I'm sure you get the point) to get together and read+analyze articles in prep for the test?

Hi guys! I'm wondering if anyone wanted to start a club/meeting/skype session/google doc (I'm sure you get the point) to get together and read+analyze articles in prep for the test?

I'm interested! Are you thinking pubmed articles that we can share with one another?

I'm in :) Might have some articles I can grab from Journal Cell Biology, Mycology and Onco (they are free, not something for members only; otherwise, that'd be stealing :D )

Yeah i'm in how do you all want to do this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, checking in! I am scheduled for June 18th - started studying in Jan (off and on) using the new MCAT EK set and the EK self study guide. I also have the Kaplan Books. I haven't done a FL test yet but plan on doing one either this weekend or next. For anyone using EK, there is a 10 week self study guide (https://www.examkrackers.com/mcat/MCAT-HomeStudy.aspx)
I graduated in December and work fulltime, so having a hard time sticking to the study schedule. EK home study guide has you read 4 chapters a week on mondays and then reviewing a chapter a day for the rest of the week. I am having a hard time sticking to reading all 4 chapters on Mondays; after working an 8 hour day, I find it hard to sit down and read 4 chapters back to back equating to around 150 pages. I am thinking of modifying it to reading 2 chapters on monday then review tuesday and wednesday, then another 2 chapters thurs with review fri and saturday, and a FL on sunday. I think this will help with retaining the material and be alittle easier on me personally as I do not want to burnout before taking the test.
I think week 10 is a full review, so given its roughly 12 weeks from Saturday to D-Day, that would leave approximately 3 weeks of pure practice assuming you started now. I have restarted the study guide and am on Week 2, so that would leave me about 4 weeks of purely practice problems.

Last edited:
Hey guys, checking in! I am scheduled for June 18th - started studying in Jan (off and on) using the new MCAT EK set and the EK self study guide. I also have the Kaplan Books. I haven't done a FL test yet but plan on doing one either this weekend or next. For anyone using EK, there is a 12 week self study guide (https://www.examkrackers.com/mcat/MCAT-HomeStudy.aspx)
I graduated in December and work fulltime, so having a hard time sticking to the study schedule. EK home study guide has you read 4 chapters a week on mondays and then reviewing a chapter a day for the rest of the week. I am having a hard time sticking to reading all 4 chapters on Mondays; after working an 8 hour day, I find it hard to sit down and read 4 chapters back to back equating to around 150 pages. I am thinking of modifying it to reading 2 chapters on monday then review tuesday and wednesday, then another 2 chapters thurs with review fri and saturday, and a FL on Sunday
There's really no chance at all that you're retaining 150 pages of info if you're simply reading straight through them like that, perhaps unless you have a truly photographic memory. I'd suggest drastically altering that strategy ASAP.

Edit: reading =/= studying

Last edited:
There's really no chance at all that you're retaining 150 pages of info if you're simply reading straight through them like that, perhaps unless you have a truly photographic memory. I'd suggest drastically altering that strategy ASAP.

Well, the strategy is to "pre-read" all the chapters for the week, then spend a day per chapter rereading/reviewing and answering the in-chapter questions. Regardless, I find the EK material kind of dry myself and struggle to even get through one chapter, much less 4 (could be that is all review to me). For the reviewing day, I go through and make flash cards and anytime I have freetime I review all the ones I have created, which seems to be working out well. The only issue I have found is some of the in-chapter lecture questions are very confusing.

Writing June 2. Started studying start of December, averaging around 20 hours/week, going to really ramp it up end of April and May as classes end. Has anyone taken a FL practice yet? What kind of practice test schedule are you guys going with?

I've taken two tpr ones. This test is mainly critical thinking and it seems doing as many passages as possible is key. Just trying not to burn out, as I took this test a few times..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Howdy!

Taking the June 2nd and applying this cycle. Using TPR, EK, TBR and a private tutor. First time taking the test. Thank you for the pointer of applying to a "throw away" school incase I do bad! I dig it

I am down to do a group thing. Instead of articles maybe a person gives a presentation on one MCAT topic, like a short synopsis. So you meet once a week and everyone gives a 10-15min talk about something. For example, sleep cycle or hypothalamic-pituitary axis

I am in my 3rd week of review out of 10 weeks, So I will end up having 4 weeks to do practice test and problems (didn't want to take a FL until I finished reviewing). I am using the 2015 EK and supplementing the Psych/Socio with Kaplan as many have suggested. So far it is going fairly well, I spent yesterday memorizing the 20 Amino Acids as an easy relaxing day

Hey Everyone,

Checking in! Taking the June 18th date. Have not been strict to my schedule as I would have like to be. Because I am in Biochem and physics II right now I have used my MCAT books in combination with studying for tests, in other words have been through bio/biochem physics primarily, barely touched orgo and gen chem. Need to ramp it up!! Hope we can get this thread more lively to start motivating each other.

The study schedule I'm following using EK has me doing physics, chemistry and reasoning first. Driving me crazy! The yield of these types of basic questions on the actual have to be insignificant.

AGAIN. I just can't justify working on limiting reagent and stoichiometry problems for 4 hours a day.

God bless it. This is my exact problem with MCAT studying. What I've found for some content review is that the khan academy passages are decent. Sometimes there are questions that are not exactly related to the passage, but rather just content review. These are made by AAMC so it must be all important content. However, like whittypsyche mentioned, having some mundane things be second nature can be helpful... Sigh. I also have the EK set and am trying to work through it, but struggling while still being in school.

God bless it. This is my exact problem with MCAT studying. What I've found for some content review is that the khan academy passages are decent. Sometimes there are questions that are not exactly related to the passage, but rather just content review. These are made by AAMC so it must be all important content. However, like whittypsyche mentioned, having some mundane things be second nature can be helpful... Sigh. I also have the EK set and am trying to work through it, but struggling while still being in school.
I really like the Khan Academy passages as well. The other tutorials are so slow though! I always do the 10 questions beforehand, but then I end up skipping through most of the videos. Really looking forward to finishing my content review this month, and then starting on the question packs and doing practice tests in May.

Hey guys, checking in! I am scheduled for June 18th - started studying in Jan (off and on) using the new MCAT EK set and the EK self study guide. I also have the Kaplan Books. I haven't done a FL test yet but plan on doing one either this weekend or next. For anyone using EK, there is a 10 week self study guide (https://www.examkrackers.com/mcat/MCAT-HomeStudy.aspx)
I graduated in December and work fulltime, so having a hard time sticking to the study schedule. EK home study guide has you read 4 chapters a week on mondays and then reviewing a chapter a day for the rest of the week. I am having a hard time sticking to reading all 4 chapters on Mondays; after working an 8 hour day, I find it hard to sit down and read 4 chapters back to back equating to around 150 pages. I am thinking of modifying it to reading 2 chapters on monday then review tuesday and wednesday, then another 2 chapters thurs with review fri and saturday, and a FL on sunday. I think this will help with retaining the material and be alittle easier on me personally as I do not want to burnout before taking the test.
I think week 10 is a full review, so given its roughly 12 weeks from Saturday to D-Day, that would leave approximately 3 weeks of pure practice assuming you started now. I have restarted the study guide and am on Week 2, so that would leave me about 4 weeks of purely practice problems.

Sounds like we're using the same approach. I've had the same struggle. I also work full time, so I've been studying for 2 hours in the morning before work and then more at night after work as needed (but those after work hours are never as productive since I'm usually drained from work). Their idea of pre-reading the 4 lectures for the week all on Monday is insane and takes me at least 8 hours. I'm on week 5 (midpoint week so I'm catching up on a couple lectures I got behind on), and I've only been able to successfully pre-read the chapters when I split them up into Sunday night (read one), monday (read 2), tuesday (read 1 that night after doing that day's assigned lecture). I do like the idea of pre-reading, as it does help to see things a couple of times, but my definition of "reading like you're reading a novel" takes a really long time, so I've gone down to "skim". Since we have a bit of extra time, I figure it's okay to take an extra day where necessary but I don't want to get too behind either.

Also, I agree that the in-lecture questions (and their answers) are very confusing. I am a non-trad and haven't taken my pre-req's in like 6 years and EK explanations for questions have not been adequate in many instances. I also hate how the questions in the sections are often not covered in the material until the following section. The Chemistry lecture 2 in class exam was especially bad in that aspect.

Hey guys! I signed to take the MCAT on June 18th, I have been using the Kaplan books plus the online course. I Already finished reading and reviewing content on Bio, Biochem, OChem, Chem and Phys and I am having struggles with CARS and Behavioral Sciences. What are you guys using to prepare for CARS and Behavioral Sciences? I am trying one passage a day with CARS but I don't think that's enough. Anyways, keep working hard guys we have to Ace the MCAT!

Last edited:
fellow cars and behavioral science struggler too
. just keep on grinding those verbal passages. I'm doing 2 a day

Last edited:
Sounds like we're using the same approach. I've had the same struggle. I also work full time, so I've been studying for 2 hours in the morning before work and then more at night after work as needed (but those after work hours are never as productive since I'm usually drained from work). Their idea of pre-reading the 4 lectures for the week all on Monday is insane and takes me at least 8 hours. I'm on week 5 (midpoint week so I'm catching up on a couple lectures I got behind on), and I've only been able to successfully pre-read the chapters when I split them up into Sunday night (read one), monday (read 2), tuesday (read 1 that night after doing that day's assigned lecture). I do like the idea of pre-reading, as it does help to see things a couple of times, but my definition of "reading like you're reading a novel" takes a really long time, so I've gone down to "skim". Since we have a bit of extra time, I figure it's okay to take an extra day where necessary but I don't want to get too behind either.

Also, I agree that the in-lecture questions (and their answers) are very confusing. I am a non-trad and haven't taken my pre-req's in like 6 years and EK explanations for questions have not been adequate in many instances. I also hate how the questions in the sections are often not covered in the material until the following section. The Chemistry lecture 2 in class exam was especially bad in that aspect.

Yes, we are definitely having the same experience. I might try your method and preread 2 chapters Sunday, 1 Monday and 1 Tuesday after assigned lecture.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I signed to take the MCAT on June 18th, I have been using the Kaplan books plus the online course. I Already finished reading and reviewing content on Bio, Biochem, OChem, Chem and Phys and I am having struggles with CARS and Behavioral Sciences. What are you guys using to prepare for CARS and Behavioral Sciences? I am trying one passage a day with CARS but I don't think that's enough. Anyways, keep working hard guys we have to Ace the MCAT!

I have read many recommend picking a strategy you like for the CARS section and using that for all the other subjects as they seem to suggest it really helps. Also, I have read that reading a variety of different journals in different subjects (psych/soc, biology, arts/humanities, etc) and practicing the strategy works well too. Seems like with CARS it just takes practice, the more you do the better you get at it.

Last edited:
How's studying going for everyone? I have metabolism to go over + do TBR passages for and all of psych/sociology to do. Then after that I have to do all the AAMC material. I'm not even sure if I can finish this all by June 18th? Starting to get worried. Pushing it back to July 8th would be late for this cycle as well wouldn't it?

How's studying going for everyone? I have metabolism to go over + do TBR passages for and all of psych/sociology to do. Then after that I have to do all the AAMC material. I'm not even sure if I can finish this all by June 18th? Starting to get worried. Pushing it back to July 8th would be late for this cycle as well wouldn't it?

I think that July is pushing it, when I asked people on here June 18th seemed to be the sweet spot. However, a close friend of mine was advised by one of the premed advisors here to take the July date, and he told her it's not that bad. I'm not sure if I would risk it.

If you think you're too behind, can you up your daily hours to make up for the time? And increase of 1-3 hours could drastically help no?

Last edited:
I think that July is pushing it, when I asked people on here June 18th seemed to be the sweet spot. However, a close friend of mine was advised by one of the premed advisors here to take the July date, and he told her it's not that bad. I'm not sure if I would risk it.

If you think you're too behind, can you up your daily hours to make up for the time? And increase of 1-3 hours could drastically hell no?

That's the plan. Need to up the workload. I'll see how it goes. I have heard the same exact thing. June is the sweet spot and July is somewhat pushing it, but isn't terrible.

How far are you with everything?

That's the plan. Need to up the workload. I'll see how it goes. I have heard the same exact thing. June is the sweet spot and July is somewhat pushing it, but isn't terrible.

How far are you with everything?

I have done a lot in Biochem and physics just because I'm in those classes right now so reviewing those books have helped with exams. I'm also a psych major in psych classes covering the spectrum right now so will hold off on that. Now that I pretty much only have finals left I hope to finish content for all subjects by third week of May. Then passages/questions for 3 1/2 weeks, then full lengths +review for the next 3 1/2 to four weeks.

I'm out of school on May 7th so the last month will really be intense.

I have done a lot in Biochem and physics just because I'm in those classes right now so reviewing those books have helped with exams. I'm also a psych major in psych classes covering the spectrum right now so will hold off on that. Now that I pretty much only have finals left I hope to finish content for all subjects by third week of May. Then passages/questions for 3 1/2 weeks, then full lengths +review for the next 3 1/2 to four weeks.

I'm out of school on May 7th so the last month will really be intense.

Good luck! But how do you plan on finishing content in the third week of may and then have 7-7.5 weeks to do passages/questions and full lengths. You would only have a month left unless you're not taking it in June?

Edit: Anyone know if we need to memorize the structures involved in metabolism (the enzymes, the intermediates, etc). I see a lot of varying answers to this. How should I approach studying/reviewing metabolism?

Last edited:
Good luck! But how do you plan on finishing content in the third week of may and then have 7-7.5 weeks to do passages/questions and full lengths. You would only have a month left unless you're not taking it in June?

Edit: Anyone know if we need to memorize the structures involved in metabolism (the enzymes, the intermediates, etc). I see a lot of varying answers to this. How should I approach studying/reviewing metabolism?

No, finish content review by the third week of April. Then the fourth week of April through the third week of May passages. Then fourth week of May to June 18th will be full lengths.

On your second question: I've seen varying answers as well. I've had to memorize enzymes and intermediates for Biochem so I'm just going to continue to review them. Some people seem to say they never had explicit questions on their MCAT and others say the opposite.

No, finish content review by the third week of April. Then the fourth week of April through the third week of May passages. Then fourth week of May to June 18th will be full lengths.

On your second question: I've seen varying answers as well. I've had to memorize enzymes and intermediates for Biochem so I'm just going to continue to review them. Some people seem to say they never had explicit questions on their MCAT and others say the opposite.

Okay that makes sense now. I actually have the same exact plan, but I'm not sure how viable it is. Hopefully I can follow through with it.

What passages are you going to do and what full lengths are you planning on doing?

Okay that makes sense now. I actually have the same exact plan, but I'm not sure how viable it is. Hopefully I can follow through with it.

What passages are you going to do and what full lengths are you planning on doing?

Passages: I have TPR, Kaplan, and EK, and all the AAMC question packs and practice from guide and section bank.

Full lengths: I have 3 TPR, AAMC scored, 1 Kaplan, 1 EK, then deciding if to get two NS or GS

What are you using?

Passages: I have TPR, Kaplan, and EK, and all the AAMC question packs and practice from guide and section bank.

Full lengths: I have 3 TPR, AAMC scored, 1 Kaplan, 1 EK, then deciding if to get two NS or GS

What are you using?

Passages: I'm using TBR passages and Khan academy passages. Did a good portion of TBR passages, just need to look them over briefly, to solidify some shaky concepts. Also the AAMC Qpack and Section Bank (Plan on doing these a month before the exam)

Exams: I just have TPR free ones that come when you register a book, and the 2 AAMC ones. Not sure if I should get anymore. I hear the EK ones are the most similar to the AAMC ones? Not sure though.

Anyone take the free Gold Standard 1/3 length practice MCAT? Just took it and got a 508, I'm interested to see what you guys thought about it. I thought the psych section was kind of odd. Considering buying the 5 FL's by Gold Standard as well.

Hey guys, I originally signed up for April exam and decided to take this one after I took NS diagnostic.
I think I'm gonna re read the books again.

EK Chemistry 30-minute exams are so tough!

Yeah I started content review beginning of march with EK...30 min exams were extremely difficult so i just stopped doing them halfway through. Read through most of the EK books and not really taking notes, just trying to connect all the main concepts together with all the different disciplines. I'm about 85% done with content review (first pass) so I took some practice exams... my scores:

NS 1/2 length - 505
2 days later (today)
AAMC Sample FL - 64%/79%/64%/76% ~ 508 using that excel sheet converter.

Originally had my test scheduled for Aug 5th but I just rescheduled to June 18th! Good luck everyone

Yeah I started content review beginning of march with EK...30 min exams were extremely difficult so i just stopped doing them halfway through. Read through most of the EK books and not really taking notes, just trying to connect all the main concepts together with all the different disciplines. I'm about 85% done with content review (first pass) so I took some practice exams... my scores:

NS 1/2 length - 505
2 days later (today)
AAMC Sample FL - 64%/79%/64%/76% ~ 508 using that excel sheet converter.

Originally had my test scheduled for Aug 5th but I just rescheduled to June 18th! Good luck everyone

Good job with the scores so far! Content review and their 30-minute exams are helpful, but makes me antsy to have more practice passages. Starting the AAMC bundle material in 2 weeks, so I'll be working through those along with full-lengths the entire month of March. Curious to hear any feedback from those who are using them!