*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2022-2023 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s all you need to do-
Make a screenshot of your rank order list and save it in your computer files- a lot of applicants feel really panicky when that list goes away from their portal after the February deadline and doubt that they entered it right.
this is a new level of neuroticism that I definitely would have.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s all you need to do-
Make a screenshot of your rank order list and save it in your computer files- a lot of applicants feel really panicky when that list goes away from their portal after the February deadline and doubt that they entered it right.
This is a great idea that you can tell came from a premed mentor with too much experience 😭🫶

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Recently, UTMB let applicants who hadn't yet received an interview know that no more would be sent out (effectively a rejection). Apparently, last week and this week most other TMDSAS schools will likely follow suit, sending out the last of their interviews. Does anyone know which schools are done interviewing this cycle and which have yet to extend their last II's?
Most of the other schools won’t send out a specific notice like that.
Here's my notes of the last interview-invitation dates from the 2021-2022 cycle:
Foster Jan 27
McGovern Dec 1
Dell Feb 2
Baylor Nov 16
UTMB Nov 19
Long Jan 20
A&M Jan 12
Lubbock Dec 10
U of Houston Jan 3
UTSW Nov 18
UTRGV Nov 30
TCU Feb 2
TCOM Jan 19
SHSU Nov 24
UIWSOM April 24

Commenting on these, I think UTSW, UTMB, and Baylor are probably done inviting
I will guess maybe one more round for McGovern?
I think UTRGV will send out more, because they started late
The rest will probably have a few more too.
"past performance is not a guarantee of future results"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If we haven't received an II or R from UTMB, do you think we'll get an R soon? I'm trying to determine why I and some others haven't heard back from them at all (and determine if it is worth it to send an update).

If we haven't received an II or R from UTMB, do you think we'll get an R soon? I'm trying to determine why I and some others haven't heard back from them at all (and determine if it is worth it to send an update).
I think you are likely still in the running for an interview

What does scenario based MMI interview mean to you? Should I expect only “tell me about a time” and ethical questions only? I’m trying to see if I can skip rehearsing the traditional questions.

What does scenario based MMI interview mean to you? Should I expect only “tell me about a time” and ethical questions only? I’m trying to see if I can skip rehearsing the traditional questions.
I would take it to mean "How would you handle this hypothetical situation?" questions, so if you reviewed that kind of thing for the CASPer test you should be all set. Of course if they throw in a station or two to ask you about yourself, you don't need to practice for that

For tmdsas, how many II would be considered average? and how many would be considered a good basis to have moving into match day?

For tmdsas, how many II would be considered average? and how many would be considered a good basis to have moving into match day?
I know that 60% of matriculants only get 3 or less interviews, but not sure specifically for TMDSAS. I also think having 3-4+ interviews heading into match day sets you up with decent odds

Last edited:
I know that 60% of matriculants only get 3 interviews, but not sure specifically for TMDSAS. I also think having 3-4+ interviews heading into match day sets you up with decent odds
I don’t have data to support this but I feel like way less than 60% get 3 interviews.

So I FINALLY got my sGPA over a 3.0 this semester (my AMCAS was a 3.2 but TMDSAS has other thoughts)- do I need to notify schools of this or does it give schools a notification of this?

So I FINALLY got my sGPA over a 3.0 this semester (my AMCAS was a 3.2 but TMDSAS has other thoughts)- do I need to notify schools of this or does it give schools a notification of this?
If you are still in school, fill in your fall semester grades on TMDSAS and submit. They will recalculate your new GPA and send it to your schools.
You can also, if you like, send a 1-2 sentence email to your schools saying something like “I just completed a strong semester and have updated my grades on the TMDSAS portal “

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are still in school, fill in your fall semester grades on TMDSAS and submit. They will recalculate your new GPA and send it to your schools.
You can also, if you like, send a 1-2 sentence email to your schools saying something like “I just completed a strong semester and have updated my grades on the TMDSAS portal “
Thank you!

I’m hearing some buzz about TMDSAS schools taking time off starting this Saturday to January 3rd, meaning we likely wouldn’t expect any II’s or A’s to go out within that timeframe. However, maybe a few come out between now and ETD Friday? Is there truth to this?
UTT literally has interviews next week so do with that what you will

I’m hearing some buzz about TMDSAS schools taking time off starting this Saturday to January 3rd, meaning we likely wouldn’t expect any II’s or A’s to go out within that timeframe. However, maybe a few come out between now and ETD Friday? Is there truth to this?
Nothing is mentioned in the TMDSAS support Twitter page, assuming this is still active. Maybe it's on another social media site?

Students will be out of class longer than workers in the administrative offices. Life goes on, meetings go on.

Are there any tools or resources online aside from the X vs Y thread (ex. excel sheet, URL, etc) for comparing two medical schools? I'm horrible at making this stuff on my own
Really, try going to the X vs Y thread, use search function "search Titles Only" and type in 2 schools you're comparing.
I bet you will see someone who was making the same choices over the last 2-3 years.

If one has a prematch, Should you wait for fall transcript before uploading the transcript ?

If one has a prematch, Should you wait for fall transcript before uploading the transcript ?
this is from the tmdsas email if this helps:

TMDSAS needs you to send in your transcripts! One official transcript is required from every U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian college you have attended. This includes:

• College-level courses taken while in high school (i.e. dual credit courses), even if they did not count toward a degree at any college.
  • Any institution at which you have any academic record, even if transfer credit was later accepted by another school.

TMDSAS prefers that transcripts be sent or postmarked within 30 days of this request to avoid delays in application validation.
Exception: If taking Fall 2022 courses, please wait until grades have been released before sending us that institutions' transcript (Likely in December).

Yes, wait until your Fall 2022 grades have been finalized & added to the transcript. It should only be another 1-2 weeks to wait.
At the end of the whole application season, the school you end up enrolling at will also ask you for a final transcript. Wait until you see that on your list of things to do for enrollment.

The "validated" field on the PCR should remain as "N" until TMDSAS has requested a transcript (after first acceptance) and used that to validate the PCR, correct?

The "validated" field on the PCR should remain as "N" until TMDSAS has requested a transcript (after first acceptance) and used that to validate the PCR, correct?
I don’t know the answer to that specific question but you could ask for clarification by messaging TMDSAS in your portal.

Hi, I am currently trying to send my official transcripts to TMDSAS as I received an email stating it was required. I am trying to send my transcripts using Parchment and there is a section that says "Transcript Type." I was wondering whether the transcript type would be "Academic Record, Semester Hours Transcript" or the "Continuing Education Transcript." Thank you so much for your help.

Hi, I am currently trying to send my official transcripts to TMDSAS as I received an email stating it was required. I am trying to send my transcripts using Parchment and there is a section that says "Transcript Type." I was wondering whether the transcript type would be "Academic Record, Semester Hours Transcript" or the "Continuing Education Transcript." Thank you so much for your help.
The first one, Academic Record, semester hours.

mine still says N and my transcripts were received last month

I was pre- matched to TCOM. I just wanted to clarify what it said in the email. I have to send my transcripts to TMDSAS and also TCOM as well right?

I was pre- matched to TCOM. I just wanted to clarify what it said in the email. I have to send my transcripts to TMDSAS and also TCOM as well right?
Send them to TMDSAS now, and to the school you ultimately enroll in. It may be TCOM, or you may match elsewhere if you’ve had more interviews

Send them to TMDSAS now, and to the school you ultimately enroll in. It may be TCOM, or you may match elsewhere if you’ve had more interviews
Do you know if there is a way to confirm that TMDSAS received our transcript? I'm looking at the application service but I can't find a tab anywhere

Do you know if there is a way to confirm that TMDSAS received our transcript? I'm looking at the application service but I can't find a tab anywhere
You'll get an email when they processed it. But you can check yourself by going to the "status" tab and scrolling down to the transcript section.

You'll get an email when they processed it. But you can check yourself by going to the "status" tab and scrolling down to the transcript section.
That's right I forgot about the status tab! Thank you so much.

Do we have to prove our Texas residency to TMDSAS/schools again before matriculating?

How long does it usually take for a school to show up in TMDSAS after interviewing? It’s been about two weeks.

How long does it usually take for a school to show up in TMDSAS after interviewing? It’s been about two weeks.
Depends on the school. BCM and McGovern were within days for me, but other schools took almost a month

There are several schools who specify they do not accept AP credit.

However, I'm wondering if CLEP credit is lumped in the same? (My guess is yes, but...)

I have emailed the schools' admission teams to clarify but the responses have been slow or nonexistent.

There are several schools who specify they do not accept AP credit.

However, I'm wondering if CLEP credit is lumped in the same? (My guess is yes, but...)

I have emailed the schools' admission teams to clarify but the responses have been slow or nonexistent.
Usually CLEP and IB and AP credits are interchangeable in admissions offices' eyes.

And, in the opinions of the admissions, is it still acceptable to use AP Physics 1&2 credits instead of taking the classes in college? My university does list out which specific courses the AP credits I receive credit for place me out of. @Mr.Smile12

And, in the opinions of the admissions, is it still acceptable to use AP Physics 1&2 credits instead of taking the classes in college? My university does list out which specific courses the AP credits I receive credit for place me out of. @Mr.Smile12
You'll need to ask each school. Many schools are explicit when it comes to accepting AP credit or not, including whether Prerequisites could be fulfilled with AP credit. Some will, some won't even if comes to physics.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could give me advice on writing an LOI. I currently have a top choice school, but I still have two January interviews. I saw someone recommend to wait to write an LOI until you finish all your interviews, but I am worried it is getting too late with match day approaching. Do I still have time to write the letter if I wait?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could give me advice on writing an LOI. I currently have a top choice school, but I still have two January interviews. I saw someone recommend to wait to write an LOI until you finish all your interviews, but I am worried it is getting too late with match day approaching. Do I still have time to write the letter if I wait?
Wait until you have had your other interviews because your opinion may change!

I put up my big ol' TMDSAS Match and Prematch explanation post over on the Republic of Texas thread. #262

Have a look, watch the video, and ask me questions either there or on this thread.
Don't put off your rank decisions until the last day! You have lots of time to think it over now while waiting.

Fair warning: I am going to put a "rolling my eyes" emoji on anybody's post that sounds like "OMG, OMG, I have one more hour to rank my schools and I just don't know what to do!":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Haha
Should I update my grades last semester into the TMDSAS portal? Does it matter?

Feel extremely blessed as a reapplicant with 5 interviews and a prematch offer.

Now for the longest 8 weeks ever.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Can't believe there's only 6 more weeks until Match Day. Time is flying by! I hope everyone is doing alright and keeping themselves occupied during this time.

What is yalls thought process in ranking schools?

For me, Im having trouble knowing which factors about each med school matter/ factors that I will care about when im a student there. As of right now, the only thing that matters to me is the environment I live in but even that doesnt narrow the schools down fully for me.

For example, when I have visited the schools. They have all been impressive with their new buildings/new hospitals/ "amazing collaborative culture"/step 1 pass rate/ match rates/ etc so im curious to know what do yall value in a school that makes it stand out from another one

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated !

Status
Not open for further replies.