Ohio State c/o 2016- Attending only.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Today was officially the last day of classes at Ohio State and finals are all next week. Hopefully your big sib will get into contact with you this weekend, NStarz! My big contacted me yesterday and we chatted on facebook for a little. But then it was back to studying as we both have exams coming up. Good luck waiting and I hope that you get someone awesome!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You know what would be an awesome bday present from OSU? MY BIG SIB :D

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you guys planning on bringing to school for powerpoint viewing, note taking, etc.? I asked my big sib if it would be worth it for me to invest in a laptop to bring to school because I have a monster one that my brother gave me when he was done with it (just a couple years old) that is an awesome gaming computer with lots of memory and everything, but it would be a major pain to lug it to school everyday. My big sib recommended a tablet, which I wouldn't have ever thought of, so now I'm looking into getting one. Just curious what everyone elses plans are?

I haven't decided yet (or asked my big). Right now I have a cheap cheap cheap netbook and I was thinking of buying a nice macbook that will hopefully last me 4 years. I'm pretty sure the computers for Histo are PC's, but I've had nothing but problems with every PC I've ever had. Including the cheap cheap cheap netbook I have now.

I'm old school and used to studying with hand-written notes and powerpoint print-outs. Is this not a thing anymore?? lol

Squirrels - Did she suggest an iPad or an actual tablet? Or is an iPad a tablet? I know nothing (obviously).

I'm going to go with a regular laptop. I've heard some complaints about tablets not reading handwriting correctly, and I am a super fast typer.

Do you know if tablets recognize shorthand? Maybe that's something that can be programmed?

My big sib recommended an asus ee transformer tablet (since that's what she has and she likes it). You can get a keyboard/docking station for it, which turns it pretty much into a netbook I guess. Never used a netbook before, so not real sure what that is either.

I looked up tablets and ipad was at the top of the list, so I think it is a tablet (the transformer was 4th ranked but was the only one with a keyboard and the pros were that it's fast and has the keyboard). I thought it was a phone lol, but maybe it makes calls too?

I'm not big on the phone, tablet, or netbook technology. I've never even sent a text message!

From looking online it seems that tablets are good for on the go. They have a long battery life (the asus transformer with dock will go up to 15 hours without needing to be plugged in, so will easily last the school day), are flat and small so you can put it on the desk without it sticking up and when you go somewhere you can take it with you. Portability seems like it won't be the biggest issue since we're gonna be in the same room all day, but I'm thinking for down the road when we start having electives and hopefully moving around more, something portable would be good to have to quickly get out and look something up.

I am planning to use mine mostly for looking at powerpoints and writing little notes on them and then saving it and emailing it to myself. My big says that we get really comprehensive note packets so we probably won't need to write a ton and she writes most things right on the note packet. I had a biochem class that was my first class heavy on the powerpoints and I was always super frustrated because we'd get there and the professor would be like I updated the powerpoint this morning and posted the link on the page and I'm like :eek: I printed yesterday, now what do I do, because sometimes they weren't even on the same topics. And my laptop had a later version of powerpoint so I had to print at the computer lab and there was a class in there beforehand (small school only 2 computer labs and one was always full by 7 AM and the bigger one had classes in it). It became a major headache and was one of the reasons I absolutely hated that class. I can see a lot of the same issues, especially this year with us being the first group on semesters, I'm sure there will be a lot of tweaking of powerpoints, and the class notes will probably be a little weird for us. So, my big thing is to have something that I can open the powerpoint with and take some notes on, then save it and send it to myself and probably print it out from my laptop at my apartment.

I looked up something about using a tablet and got a tutorial on using the stylus and writing with a tablet and it seems like it has handwriting recognition, not sure how that works or if it picks up shorthand.

I went ahead and got an Asus Transformer yesterday. I can already tell it is awesome. I have to order the docking station with keyboard, but even just the tablet part is pretty nice. It picks up wireless connections really easily and I used the notepad program and it is super easy to use. Gonna experiment more tonight with things like editing and saving powerpoints, etc. Overall I'm really impressed for the first day, though.

I'm going to have to shop around, but it might have to wait until our loans kick in. Can I ask how much you paid Squirrels?

I'm also going to have to buy a desk. lol I studied/wrote for my more recent classes on my couch, and I have a feeling I'm going to have to be more diliengent. And not be inticed by all the soft pillows, blankets, and my Snuggie.

lol about studying on the couch. That would never work for me. We have a lazy boy and I fall asleep as soon as I sit down lol.

I paid $399 for my tablet, plus I'm gonna get the docking station, which is another $100-$150 depending on where you get it. Plus the case runs another $20 and will probably get more memory for it, which is another $20. Oh, plus I got a stylus for it for $15. So, overall, I'm looking at spending about $600. Luckily my parents have been letting me live rent free since I decided to go to vet school and I have some money saved up :). Did you see about the loans not kicking in until like second week of school :eek:.

What?!?! Second week of school? Hopefully before I have to pay my rent for the month of September.

Where did you see this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Second week of school?! That's crap...what if we are depending on it to pay rent? Unless parents are paying peoples rent (not mine! and I imagine few others) this is unreasonable!

I have always just used hand written notes. I know some other schools include tablets or certain laptops that you have to use in the cost of tuition. We don't have anything like that do we? No certain computer or anything.....

Did you think Waters Edge was larger than some of the others that you looked at?

Someone posted about loans not being til after school started on I think the 2016 thread, not sure, could have been a while ago on here.

Ohio doesn't have any computer requirements, I just know when PowerPoints are involved it's much easier to have an electronic device to view it on because sometimes professors don't post them until right before class.

Someone posted about loans not being til after school started on I think the 2016 thread, not sure, could have been a while ago on here.

Ohio doesn't have any computer requirements, I just know when PowerPoints are involved it's much easier to have an electronic device to view it on because sometimes professors don't post them until right before class.
From talking to some current vet students at OSU, 99% of the notes are in the packets that you buy at the beginning of the quarter (semester for next year). On occasion, professors will jump around in those notes and you have to flip back and forth. For the the other 1% of the time, a lecturer may use slides that are not in the packet, but there is enough space to write what you need.
For that reason, I am not going to buy anything special to take notes. Just some pencils and highlighters!

What?!?! Second week of school? Hopefully before I have to pay my rent for the month of September.

Where did you see this?

I had actually heard this (somewhere--I don't remember where) and called up the admissions office to ask them about it. They said that tuition was due before the semester was started (a couple of weeks or so) so that would be highly unlikely. Of course, I didn't talk to the financial aid person, so I'm not 100% sure of this.

I think I'll call tomorrow about the loans. Apparently Jane Woodland loves to talk :laugh:

OH Bunny Girl--am I friends with you on FB? I know everyone else's names but not yours :)

NStarz, tuition at Ohio State is due the week before classes start. So for fall semester, that would be August 15th. Financial aid is usually disbersed a week before tuition is due. I can't imagine that being any different for the vet school.

The loans not being in until two weeks until after classes start was in reference to one the European schools. (Edinborough I think?)

NStarz, tuition at Ohio State is due the week before classes start. So for fall semester, that would be August 15th. Financial aid is usually disbersed a week before tuition is due. I can't imagine that being any different for the vet school.

The loans not being in until two weeks until after classes start was in reference to one the European schools. (Edinborough I think?)

Thank you :) That clears up things a bit.

Our groups are up as well as our schedules :soexcited:

I am in group C for Behavior and Group A for pathology

I'm Group C for Behavior and Group B for Histo/Clin Path

AND - I move 17 days! Holy Crap!

I first read this as "you guys behave together" lol :laugh:

:laugh: That's never gonna happen, but we can have behavior together :thumbup:

Three legged cat is with us for Behavior as well. She's in my group for Pathology and Histology :p

How about the rest of you?

I'm in histo/path group B (boooo) and behavior group A. I'm super happy about behavior because that's one of my favorite vet med-y things and I have all the fun handling labs first.

I'm in group A for behavior and group B for path/histo! I'm really excited about behavior too, NStarz!

Anyone on here going to the NE Ohio get together?! I'm really excited to meet everyone!

I'm in group A for behavior and group B for path/histo! I'm really excited about behavior too, NStarz!

Anyone on here going to the NE Ohio get together?! I'm really excited to meet everyone!

Yay! We're in the same groups, Olive!!

I wish I could go, but I'm not going to be in OH until August and have soooo much to do before then.

I wish I could go, but I have a baby shower out in Medina that day (~45 min from where everyone's meeting).

Squirrels and 3LeggedCat are super fun and nice, you'll have a good time :)

I'm going, I'm the one that set up the event :soexcited:. Got our Northeast Ohio get together and I have to plan one more O. Chem get together before I move. Our O. chem class from Fall 2010/Spring 2011 was super awesome (awesomest class I've ever taken) and still meets up every couple months just to hang out and if school is in our professor even comes. I'm gonna miss them, but super excited for vet school and can't wait til our get together!

Sad you can't come, though OH bunny girl, had a great time at our last get together. Oh well, we'll just have to plan some for August!

I'm in for August get together(s) :D I move in TWO WEEKS! I think I might be one of the first people to move.

So much to do in so little time! Yet, I sit here watching things on DVR, b/c it's just too darn hot out!

Sorry I'm a little late to the party; work has been sooo busy. I am in group C for Behavior and group B for Clin Path, Histo.

Part of me is so excited that I'm moving soon, and the other part is absolutely terrified.

Part of me is so excited that I'm moving soon, and the other part is absolutely terrified.

OMG me too! I was on the phone this morning finalizing things with the apartment complex, and then another phone call to get my car worked on (b/c right now it is a giant paperweight in my garage), and then a text from the clinic, "hey, there's a rabbit neuter tomorrow, you want to work?"

All the while I move in less than TWO WEEKS, and have packed 1 whole and 3 1/2 boxes. :eek::eek::eek:

OMG me too! I was on the phone this morning finalizing things with the apartment complex, and then another phone call to get my car worked on (b/c right now it is a giant paperweight in my garage), and then a text from the clinic, "hey, there's a rabbit neuter tomorrow, you want to work?"

All the while I move in less than TWO WEEKS, and have packed 1 whole and 3 1/2 boxes. :eek::eek::eek:

Eh, I'm moving in 3 weeks, and I have 0 boxes packed. Lol. I have yet to even put boxes together. It's almost surreal.

I have almost everything packed up, but this is my first time moving out and I keep feeling like there is something big I'm forgetting.

Only 14 more days of work :thumbup:, I am so ready to be done!

I am super excited about moving and starting vet school!

This is my fifth time moving in eight years. I would like to call myself an old pro, but I hate moving. Things will break, things won't fit in or out through doors, etc.

My moving rule: you can't take anything you haven't used in 2 years ( since the last time I moved) unless you have just cause.

This is my fifth time moving in eight years. I would like to call myself an old pro, but I hate moving. Things will break, things won't fit in or out through doors, etc.

My moving rule: you can't take anything you haven't used in 2 years ( since the last time I moved) unless you have just cause.

Very good rule! Especially important if you, like me, are moving from having more space than you know what to do with and a storage room to a studio apartment that is 360 square feet. I tried to section off part of my living room in the basement to be the same size as my living and bedroom area in my apartment (20' by 15') and it is gonna take some getting used to, but I figure a ton of my time will be at my desk anyways, so I won't need much space.

I am trying to just pack essentials and get them into my apartment and then if there is something else I have room for that I want, I can take it later. That's the big plus to still living at home, I don't have to worry about what to do with my stuff that I can't take but don't want to part with, it will all be at home if I decide I can't live without it :).

The realization that I'm not gonna be rehabbing is really starting to hit me. I just have one baby bunny inside now, I'm missing it already :(. I packed up an emergency stabilization kit, though, in case I find a litter of opossums, or other orphans while at school. Plus the Ohio Wildlife center isn't far, I can volunteer there.

Very good rule! Especially important if you, like me, are moving from having more space than you know what to do with and a storage room to a studio apartment that is 360 square feet. I tried to section off part of my living room in the basement to be the same size as my living and bedroom area in my apartment (20' by 15') and it is gonna take some getting used to, but I figure a ton of my time will be at my desk anyways, so I won't need much space.

I am trying to just pack essentials and get them into my apartment and then if there is something else I have room for that I want, I can take it later. That's the big plus to still living at home, I don't have to worry about what to do with my stuff that I can't take but don't want to part with, it will all be at home if I decide I can't live without it :).

The realization that I'm not gonna be rehabbing is really starting to hit me. I just have one baby bunny inside now, I'm missing it already :(. I packed up an emergency stabilization kit, though, in case I find a litter of opossums, or other orphans while at school. Plus the Ohio Wildlife center isn't far, I can volunteer there.

I'm making my dad move with me so he can take whatever doesn't fit in my new apt back to my parents house.

And I'm the wildlife center would love to have you squirrels!

Just an FYI for all you crazy peeps out there...the carmen website opened up our gross anatomy course for us. So you can see some stuff on there. Have fun!

Awesome! Thanks for posting the link NStarz! Was gonna watch scrubs, but instead just spent my free time reading through some of the stuff on there. Kinda sad we're in alphabetical order for anatomy group. Everyone I know already has letters no where near me :(. Anyone close to D? Could figure them out by looking at the pathology groups, but that would be kinda crazy.

Oh, the original reason I came on here: Has anyone checked their financial aid under account inquiry? I checked mine and the amount there shows less than the amount on the page where you can accept or decline the offers? Is everyone elses like that too? Mine is like $170 less. Is this the origination fee?

Squirrels--where'd you find the anatomy groups?

My Account inquiry page just shows a breakdown of all my semester charges. Maybe it's because I haven't accepted my grad plus loans yet?

NStarz- I thought that all 162 of us are ALL together for anatomy but are broken into groups of 4 for cadavers. And only the first semester is alphabetical, the following semesters you get to pick your own partners.

My Account inquiry page just shows a breakdown of all my semester charges. Maybe it's because I haven't accepted my grad plus loans yet?

NStarz- I thought that all 162 of us are ALL together for anatomy but are broken into groups of 4 for cadavers. And only the first semester is alphabetical, the following semesters you get to pick your own partners.

I think you're right, Bunny Girl! It sounded like squirrels had found the groups-of-4 breakdown.

Squirrels, my FA amount is the same as it was before, but I'm OOS so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I think you're right, Bunny Girl! It sounded like squirrels had found the groups-of-4 breakdown.
I didn't find the groups of 4, but it's alphabetical and we have the list of everyone in our class from the pathology groups, so just arrange them in alphabetical order and count off groups of 4 and you have the groups. Glad we get to choose our groups second semester, but by then we'll probably be happy with our groups and want to stick with them, at least I hope so :).

Hmm, I wonder why my award amounts are different, I'll have to email Jane tomorrow.