OHSU Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by evenstar
Soccrtrela: It never hurts to call and ask...whether you are able to find out anything substantive is, of course, a different matter... :rolleyes: Last year, OHSU interviewed all the way through to the end of April, and it seems like this year will be similar, especially as they've received something like 500 applications over what they usually get. Good luck!!

yeah, plus I was there for Christmas break with all the snow and ice so I hear maybe they are behind because of that too!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know if the 4-6 weeks are for real?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was around 7 or 8 weeks post interview when I heard.

that seems a bit more realistic.
Thanks!
mdforme

anyone hear anything lately? i'm on pins and needles waiting to hear from them!

i got a very thin envelope in the mail today... and was surprised to find out it was an acceptance. i interviewed 1/15. the letter was dated 3/5. check your mailboxes.

Originally posted by gbear97
i got a very thin envelope in the mail today... and was surprised to find out it was an acceptance. i interviewed 1/15. the letter was dated 3/5. check your mailboxes.

Congratulations :clap:

Are you going to attend?

are you in oregon gbear? that letter got to you pretty quickly! congrats!

I still haven't heard from OHSU yet. I have to say I am so impressed with their students, their educational philosophy and curriculum. I would be happy to attend the big O. I interviewed in late Feb, so hopefully that white envelope will show up soon.

Congrats on the acceptance Monkeyguts!

Congrats right back at you monkeyguts! Thanks everyone!

I was an out-of-state applicant. I'd like to reiterate that the envelope I received looked deceivingly ominous (i.e., a single sheet of paper ala "rejection style" ... I didn't even bother to open it at first).

As far as attending, OHSU seemed like a great school in a great place (Portland, happy students, etc.). Given the fixed nature of the out-of-state tuition, it might depend on how rich I am feeling! :)

P.S. If you are a dog owner, Portland rocks! My dog is trying to sell me on this angle.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump (giving you guys a break)

I found my dog in Portland animal shelter about 7 years ago when I lived in Portland for about 5 months. Now it looks like we will be returning... I'm sure he'll be excited.

Just heard from OHSU. I'm in a "hold" pool. Bummer. I didn't even know OHSU did that. Anyone in this same situation??

Hey mdforme- don't give up hope yet. Around May 15th or so they take everyone from the hold list and either accept (depending on how many spaces are left), reject, waitlist. The waitlist is ranked so you will know exactly where you stand. When I interviewed Carolyn said they went to around #93 on the waitlist last year (but that was the most movement they ever had). If you are still interested I would let them know. By the way, you mentioned that you interviewed in late February. Does that mean that you heard back from them in less than 4 weeks? I only recently interviewed and am very nervous about hearing back. Good luck!

Sorry, it was early February- I heard in 4 or 5 weeks.
Good luck!!

ouch. That's tough!!! When did they let you know you were waitlisted?

If memory serves, it was sometime in mid-June they sent out the wait-list ranking.

So I received an envelope from OHSU the other day SOOOO happy to hear back from them and very hopeful that it would be positive.

SO I open it up and the letter says that my file has been reviewed, but they are not ready to make a decision yet. So this is a post-interview "hold" or "competitive" pool? Now why would they send me this letter other than to make my heart leap into my throat? It may be so that I was contacted within the 4-6 weeks?

What do you think? Anyone else in the same boat?

I received the same letter. I guess we just have to wait some more. . . . Our patience is being tested ;)

I myself and someone else I know have both been placed in the hold category. I don't know if they reject anyone outright post-interview, and it sounds like they either accept you or place you in the hold pool. I could be wrong, but for me, it's definitely better than an outright rejection.

They only accept a few until all the interviewing is done. The majority are ranked and placed on hold until (about) end of April. Those in the upper part of list get their acceptance letters first and then others are pulled off the wait list as others decline. The Admissions Office will tell you where you are in the standings so you know what your chances are. If you are rejected or not ranked very highly they will also be very forthcoming about why. It can be painful but also helpful to know how they came to their decision.

Congrats everyone for getting this far!!

anyone heard anything lately other than the financial aid paper?

Originally posted by SharkFan3
anyone heard anything lately other than the financial aid paper?

what financial aid paper?

They send you this very brief form (it's pink) for financial aid, but it explicitly says it in no way reflects your admission status. I'm sure you'll all be getting it at some point.

I got it too- freaked me out- thought it might be a decision.

OOOOH OHSU..... How I long for your letter of acceptance, how I love your beautiful hill...............:love: :love:

I called today to find out what was up with my application and it's being reviewed on the 25th!! Send positive vibes for me in the direction of the hill! mdforme, when did you interview? You sound as OHSU obsessed as I am.

Good luck Sharkfan! I'll be sending the good vibes your way on the 25th.

I have been meaning to ask. Are you a saltwater shark fan or an ice hockey shark fan?

Hockey fan (odd since I'm a girl and all I know). Very nervous about OHSU, my boyfriend and I are both applying and we just LOVED OHSU.

Don't worry about it. I am a hockey fan too (and I'm a girl). Good luck to both you and your boyfriend.

Were you a fan when Tim Hunter played?

bump, I'm dying to hear....anyone hear anything at all lately?!

Originally posted by citygirl
They only accept a few until all the interviewing is done. The majority are ranked and placed on hold until (about) end of April....The Admissions Office will tell you where you are in the standings so you know what your chances are. If you are rejected or not ranked very highly they will also be very forthcoming about why.

this is what i've been told as well. they say they will try to field any inquiries post-interview. the adcom meets every thursday afternoon to review the interviewed applicant files (80% interview + 20% grades/mcat as previously noted). as of a couple weeks ago, they are on schedule & have no back log. just some info for ya'll.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=760435#post760435

an update: i interviewed 2/25 and received my letter today 4/5, so a 5 1/2 week turn-around. very thin envelope (only one page) but GOOD NEWS--oregon wants me back!! (ahh, my beloved home state has not abandoned me. :love: )

good luck to all, now i just have to figure out if i can actually afford to move back there and pay out of state tuition....:scared:

I interviewed early February.... hopefully I might rejoice with you soon!

Good to hear that decisions are being made though! Hopefully one will be coming my way soon!:)

Oh geez, time to stalk my mailman.... (who is TERRIBLE I might add, who else in the country gets their mail at about 6 or 7pm every night?)

Originally posted by noami
an update: i interviewed 2/25 and received my letter today 4/5, so a 5 1/2 week turn-around. very thin envelope (only one page) but GOOD NEWS--oregon wants me back!! (ahh, my beloved home state has not abandoned me. :love: )

good luck to all, now i just have to figure out if i can actually afford to move back there and pay out of state tuition....:scared:

Congratulations:clap:

thanks guys! i'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you.
and will put the word out for those evil mailmen out there. are they so shortstaffed that they deliver that late sharkfan3 or is your guy spending afternoons at the bar?

i'm out to shop for more gortex now, must be prepared for four years of happy mold....

Originally posted by noami

Congratulations!!! Thanks for also wishing everyone else good luck.

hey guys, i called this morning and found out that i got accepted. i interviewed mid-february, but one of my interviewers was gone for a few weeks so he wasn't able to represent me to the committee... hence the late turn-around. they said i should be getting a letter soon in the mail like this thursday about my acceptance. so, if you guys are all really anxious and you know the committee has already reviewed your file post-interview, i'd give the admissions office a call and speak with debbie melton and she can let you know your status. good luck to you guys.