2022-2023 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMFG!!!!!
A!!!!
Freedom from hold purgatory
Interviewed last week August
Hold Thanksgiving!
Late Birthday gift!

Oregon here I come!!!!!
Did they email you or did you just check the portal?

Members don't see this ad.

Email! Should i check the portal???

Lol what if this was a mistake lmfao 😭 😂

Edit: it’s updated with Acceptance…. from Hold to A
Congrats! I have a bunch of crazy people cheering for me. I can't even image trying to tell my family "Never mind. It was a mistake." Also, when the slowest person in the class asks a really dumb question, please help them... its probably me.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I have a bunch of crazy people cheering for me. I can't even image trying to tell my family "Never mind. It was a mistake." Also, when the slowest person in the class asks a really dumb question, please help them... its probably me.
I had to call OHSU today to make sure it’s not a mistake. Given what happened in some schools

• Love
I had to call OHSU today to make sure it’s not a mistake. Given what happened in some schools
OHSU also takes a couple of weeks to send an official offer letter. I was too scared to let go of another acceptance until I received that official letter a few years ago, even though I had the acceptance email and portal update.

Congratulations. OHSU is great. I can't imagine being anywhere else.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
As of Monday I was offered the Swindells Family Scholarship. I haven't been able to eat, sleep, or talk much, I am just in a haze. This feels like a wish come true and I don't even know specifically why I was nominated...I was so nervous for my interview my whole body was shaking. I really can't believe that I got into OHSU, and that they took a chance on non-trad like me. It's life-changing to feel like I will be able to attend and afford my dream.

As of Monday I was offered the Swindells Family Scholarship. I haven't been able to eat, sleep, or talk much, I am just in a haze. This feels like a wish come true and I don't even know specifically why I was nominated...I was so nervous for my interview my whole body was shaking. I really can't believe that I got into OHSU, and that they took a chance on non-trad like me. It's life-changing to feel like I will be able to attend and afford my dream.
Same. Except still waiting for free money. LoL

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
You won the Swindells as well? Did they interview you for it before taking you off the hold list for OHSU acceptance? That's so nerve-wracking! Have you talked to financial aid yet about incorporating it into your tuition? Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

You won the Swindells as well? Did they interview you for it before taking you off the hold list for OHSU acceptance? That's so nerve-wracking! Have you talked to financial aid yet about incorporating it into your tuition? Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
Post updated lol. Just accepted yesterday morning LoL.

How long was the time between your acceptance and scholarship offer? and does it require interview?

Take the weekend off, wrap up on Monday.

Message Board for All Applicants:​

4/26/23 - We will have all statuses updated on the portal by May 1. If you do not see a final decision (or admit, alternate or refuse) by the end of the day Monday, 5/1 please email us at [email protected]

• Care
Take the weekend off, wrap up on Monday.

Message Board for All Applicants:​

4/26/23 - We will have all statuses updated on the portal by May 1. If you do not see a final decision (or admit, alternate or refuse) by the end of the day Monday, 5/1 please email us at [email protected]
ughhhh why do they torture us like this 😭

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the post-II R via email and portal update. Hold since December.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Also just got rejected. Got put on hold 4/20 after a January interview. I'm pretty devastated - I was lucky enough to get 4 interviews but all I've got to show are 2 waitlists and 2 rejections. I really don't want to go through this again.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Also just got rejected. Got put on hold 4/20 after a January interview. I'm pretty devastated - I was lucky enough to get 4 interviews but all I've got to show are 2 waitlists and 2 rejections. I really don't want to go through this again.
I feel your pain, as I had a similar story a couple of cycles ago. OHSU does provide feedback and will absolutely notice if you address any areas of concern they point out. It is normal for 25%+/- of any given class to be reapplicants. If all goes well one of your other schools will come through. At least you know to hound your letter writers a full year ahead of the due date. The only thing worse than reapplying is not reapplying and wondering if you would have succeeded if you did.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Finally heard back, R today and on hold since 3/15, Interviewed November. I totally feel you guys, I was also frustrated with the way the process is handled. Best of luck to everyone!

• Care
I feel your pain, as I had a similar story a couple of cycles ago. OHSU does provide feedback and will absolutely notice if you address any areas of concern they point out. It is normal for 25%+/- of any given class to be reapplicants. If all goes well one of your other schools will come through. At least you know to hound your letter writers a full year ahead of the due date. The only thing worse than reapplying is not reapplying and wondering if you would have succeeded if you did.
Thank you, I appreciate it <3

I am also a part of the hold 4/20, R 4/26 group. It makes me wonder when they actually spoke about me. I hope I'll see some of you guys trying again on this thread next year!

To those who have gotten feedback in the past, how do you go about that?

• Care
I'm so sad to hear this! You guys are such wonderful people, and meeting you all has been the brightest part of this process. Bigs hugs!!

I am also a part of the hold 4/20, R 4/26 group. It makes me wonder when they actually spoke about me. I hope I'll see some of you guys trying again on this thread next year!

My understanding (from what I recall interviewing in early October) is that your file was likely presented sometime shortly after you interviewed and then you're scored. They start off with an idea of how many people they will interview. Say they want to interview 500 people and just wrapped up interview the 100th person. So they've now conducted 20% of interviews. They plan to send out 200 acceptances. At this point they've likely accepted about the top 40 people. As they continue through the application cycle, they'll send out acceptances along the way. At some point (my personal conjecture), they know that there are some applicants that likely won't make it off the waitlist, so they will send the R.

My understanding (from what I recall interviewing in early October) is that your file was likely presented sometime shortly after you interviewed and then you're scored. They start off with an idea of how many people they will interview. Say they want to interview 500 people and just wrapped up interview the 100th person. So they've now conducted 20% of interviews. They plan to send out 200 acceptances. At this point they've likely accepted about the top 40 people. As they continue through the application cycle, they'll send out acceptances along the way. At some point (my personal conjecture), they know that there are some applicants that likely won't make it off the waitlist, so they will send the R.
Yeah that totally makes sense in terms of handing out acceptances. I was just wondering bc I had assumed that after they discussed you (even if it wasn't good news) they put you on R/A/H. I interviewed 6 months ago so I was just wondering if they really waited until mid April to even discuss. Not that I think it would have made a difference, I was just curious!

Yeah that totally makes sense in terms of handing out acceptances. I was just wondering bc I had assumed that after they discussed you (even if it wasn't good news) they put you on R/A/H. I interviewed 6 months ago so I was just wondering if they really waited until mid April to even discuss. Not that I think it would have made a difference, I was just curious!
from my understanding, i think they have to wait for your individual interviewer to be able to make the committee meeting and that is variable, so they may not discuss you right after. but i'm not 100% about that!

I also got put on hold on 4/20. Interviewed 2/2. Hoping for the best for all of us next week!
Just got the R today (4/27), after being put on hold on 4/20. Congrats to everyone who got As, and good luck to everyone still waiting for OHSU and/or other schools! I’m really grateful I have an A from another school, and I’m excited for the journey

• Care
Reactions: 7 users

I emailed the specified contact the required self assessment write up and waited to be roasted by the Adcom. I took it pretty seriously and I can tell they read it. They are not going to write a novel about your application, but they will know if you took the self evaluation seriously. I remember there was a time window to submit it as well. In my case, they politely told me to work on my communication skills (i.e. stop impersonating Napoleon Dynamite) and show continued commitment. At least I was able to show commitment.

Got the email to check for a status update on the 27th but I'm still on hold and have been since 3/3. Was the email an error? I'm scared to email to verify... or was the email a notification to read the message that they'll now get back on May 1st?

Got the email to check for a status update on the 27th but I'm still on hold and have been since 3/3. Was the email an error? I'm scared to email to verify... or was the email a notification to read the message that they'll now get back on May 1st?
JK I scrolled down. Rejected as well :/ 4/27

• Care
I emailed the specified contact the required self assessment write up and waited to be roasted by the Adcom. I took it pretty seriously and I can tell they read it. They are not going to write a novel about your application, but they will know if you took the self evaluation seriously. I remember there was a time window to submit it as well. In my case, they politely told me to work on my communication skills (i.e. stop impersonating Napoleon Dynamite) and show continued commitment. At least I was able to show commitment.
Did they email you the self assessment or was that found on the application portal?

What if you don't have a Facebook account?
I'm sure you could get the student admissions liaison to email you all of the links but honestly, it might be easier just to create one for now. A lot of resources get posted (housing, books, helpful nuggets) over the summer. You could delete it in August.

Did they email you the self assessment or was that found on the application portal?
After searching the forgotten corners of my sent mail I discovered that I emailed the admissions team and requested feedback in early June of that cycle. They sent additional instructions afterwards.

doing a quick search, I see #26 got in last cycle

According to BigPremedGuy's spreadsheet, I saw that they got up to #44 on the list last year!

Credit to BigPremedGuy:

Attachments

• OHSU MD Waitlist Trends_final version.xlsx
    8.2 KB · Views: 218
Did anyone here *not* get a portal update today or beforehand?

This is a real crack pot theory here, but based on the fact that the 30th falls on a monday, I think that this will be a year that more people will get off of the waitlist, similar to the 2018 cycle.

Not a peep today. Hold 12/09. I don’t understand how they have the alternate list without updating everyone’s status. So odd.

How long does it take to see your place on the alternative list after choosing to remain on the list?

How long does it take to see your place on the alternative list after choosing to remain on the list?
The full list is supposed to come out today. If you don't see an update by tomorrow you are supposed to email them. I believe someone posted the instructions further back on this discussion board.

How many total acceptances have gone out so far? Trying to figure out how many remain if they usually give 230 acceptances.