Opinions on Scotland Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteAndNeurdy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I looked through as many threads as possible on Scotland and Medicine and didn't find what I was looking for so..

I am currently doing my undergraduate degree in Canada (Hons B.A in Biology, Min. Neuroscience) and I am looking at travelling to Scotland to do Medicine.

I want to become a GP and would like the option of coming back to Canada (although that isn't a huge priority).

What are some good Scottish medical schools? Are they super competitive?

Thanks for you time.

Members don't see this ad.

Scottish medical schools are in the same system as other UK medical schools, so there isn't any distinguishing difference. The main difference is if you are a Scottish or EU student you don't pay tuition its very little around 2000 pounds a year.

All medical schools in Scotland/UK are good, the best medical school is the one that accepts you haha. With that being said, the University of Edinburgh is generally considered to have the best medical school in Scotland.

The schools are quite competitive, with a B.A. you'll be advantaged since you'll be competing with high school students mainly since Scotland does not have GEM programs. However, its still quite competitive due to the quota. I know admissions rates for internationals was well below 10% this year at Edinburgh.

You should be able to achieve that if you go to Scotland. I would recommend looking into the UKCAT, MCAT, GAMSAT. The most important test is the UKCAT.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking around UK school websites, but it's hard to find the requirements or the applications for Bachelor-holding candidates... and do you know if MCAT can substitute for UKCAT or GAMSAT?

For most schools it can't, for Edinburgh I know they require the MCAT from US and Canadian applicants.
But in general if you need to apply to multiple schools I think you need to write the UKCAT.

Are their applications all through the UCAS?
So even though Edinburgh requires MCAT, it's not a GEM program?

One thing to note about Edinburgh is that its moving to a 6 year program in 2016, which will mean you will get a BSc/MBChB degree. However, they do mention that if you have a previous degree that they may give exceptions to you moving straight from year 2 to year 4 and skipping the BSc year making the degree a 5 year program.

Reactions: 1 user