optometry is great!!! read this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK if I had a high GPA I'd go for nurse practitioner, 4 years and you're out making 90k. Not having to worry about getting sued or paying back crazy high loans, awesome health insurance, probably working in any specialty you want...

What is your loan at after residency? 250k? I can't even imagine the amount of interest that carried over the 4 years of residency....

(Not trying to diss doctors at all, just curious)

At least we both probably agree Doctors > Dentists *snickers*

Says the future OD student with a below average GPA and OAT score. Even if you had the gall try to for a an MD or DDS, there's no way you're bright enough to get in :)

Members don't see this ad.

Says the future OD student with a below average GPA and OAT score. Even if you had the gall try to for a an MD or DDS, there's no way you're bright enough to get in :)

whatever, being a dentist over a medical doctor is a huge comp out and you're clearly just out for money. enjoy the back pain/problems from bending over patients that you'll have to endure.

whatever, being a dentist over a medical doctor is a huge comp out and you're clearly just out for money. enjoy the back pain/problems from bending over patients that you'll have to endure.

yup when you're making more than 200K a year and you're in a real medical profession providing an essential surgical service there's no reason not to be happy :laugh: better than dispensing contact lenses for 75K a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
yup when you're making more than 200K a year and you're in a real medical profession providing an essential surgical service there's no reason not to be happy :laugh: better than dispensing contact lenses for 75K a year.

"real medical profession" :laugh: Enjoy cleaning filthy teeth and removing cavities for rest of your life. You couldn't pay me enough to do that for rest of my life. You can make your 200k (which you won't) but you still be cleaning mouths for rest of your life. Get real, most dental student don't go into dentistry because they love to remove cavities for rest of their lives. They do it in hopes of making big money, key word being hope, which is fine and I am sure you are one of those people who does everything for money. I bet you will wipe your patient's (customer for a dentist) **** if they paid you a little extra. Being a dentist is probably the most soul sucking job and thankless job in the world, everyone hates going to dentist. Enjoy your cavities and gingivitis or whatever the hell you guys like cleaning !!

"real medical profession" :laugh: Enjoy cleaning filthy teeth and removing cavities for rest of your life. You couldn't pay me enough to do that for rest of my life. You can make your 200k (which you won't) but you still be cleaning mouths for rest of your life. Get real, most dental student don't go into dentistry because they love to remove cavities for rest of their lives. They do it in hopes of making big money, key word being hope, which is fine and I am sure you are one of those people who does everything for money. I bet you will wipe your patient's (customer for a dentist) **** if they paid you a little extra. Being a dentist is probably the most soul sucking job and thankless job in the world, everyone hates going to dentist. Enjoy your cavities and gingivitis or whatever the hell you guys like cleaning !!

I think it depends. I would say that being an oral surgeon is pretty cool from my experience and from my interactions with them during my rotations through residency.

These guys cover face call... which means they can do facial fractures, facial plastics, facial reconstruction. They are very well trained and adept at handling more than just dental stuff. Personally, I think they're pretty bad*****. Oral surgeons can even handle trauma ICU call... man, I never thought I'd see oral surgeons handling the vent. They are a truly stellar group of individuals.

Cleaning - I agree, a thankless proposition.

That said - customer service is paramount in any field - from optometry to medicine to dentistry. If you work at Lens Crafters and you don't make small talk or cause patients to be uncomfortable, you can bet your butt that you'd be hearing from big brother about it and you'd be so easily replaced. Same thing for me as an ER attending. Same for the dentist.

We are all tied to customer service - sucks, but it's the truth.

Last edited:
I think it depends. I would say that being an oral surgeon is pretty cool from my experience and from my interactions with them during my rotations through residency.

These guys cover face call... which means they can do facial fractures, facial plastics, facial reconstruction. They are very well trained and adept at handling more than just dental stuff. Personally, I think they're pretty bad*****. Oral surgeons can even handle trauma ICU call... man, I never thought I'd see oral surgeons handling the vent. They are a truly stellar group of individuals.

Cleaning - I agree, a thankless proposition.

That said - customer service is paramount in any field - from optometry to medicine to dentistry. If you work at Lens Crafters and you don't make small talk or cause patients to be uncomfortable, you can bet your butt that you'd be hearing from big brother about it and you'd be so easily replaced. Same thing for me as an ER attending. Same for the dentist.

We are all tied to customer service - sucks, but it's the truth.

99.9% of dentists are not doing facial reconstruction.

Yes I will enjoy cleaning "filthy" teeth as you "diagnose and treat" without any REAL medical procedures 75 year old grandmothers. The OD field is a joke, most of the work is done by machines that can pretty much diagnose someones vision without the need of an overpayed OD. When an OD is required they simply drop some eye drops into your eyes and ask you to read off a chart. Enjoy sitting in a dark room all day making 90K a year after 8 years of education :laugh: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Dentists.htm An average salary in the US is $140K. In regional districts like the Northeast, esp NYC. One can EASILY break $200K.

Additionally since your clueless about anything except the "super important" field of Optometry, there are a few dental specialities such as Ortho (braces) or Prosto (implants) that pull in BANK and contribute way more to this world than a guy with an eye chart :) Remember I can order my contacts online, but I'll see you in 30 years for your dentures ;) Oh and to further add: ODs are wanna be doctors that couldn't make it into a real medical profession program such a dentistry or medical school. Goodbye.

Last edited:
99.9% of dentists are not doing facial reconstruction.

100% of OD's never touch a surgical tool in their life. Opthamologist's should have absorbed your profession a long time ago.

Yes I will enjoy cleaning "filthy" teeth as you "diagnose and treat" without any REAL medical procedures 75 year old grandmothers. The OD field is a joke, most of the work is done by machines that can pretty much diagnose someones vision without the need of an overpayed OD. When an OD is required they simply drop some eye drops into your eyes and ask you to read off a chart. Enjoy sitting in a dark room all day making 90K a year after 8 years of education :laugh: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Dentists.htm An average salary in the US is $140K. In regional districts like the Northeast, esp NYC. One can EASILY break $200K.

Additionally since your clueless about anything except the "super important" field of Optometry, there are a few dental specialities such as Ortho (braces) or Prosto (implants) that pull in BANK and contribute way more to this world than a guy with an eye chart :) Remember I can order my contacts online, but I'll see you in 30 years for your dentures ;)

Keep throwing those numbers around but that doesn't change the fact that you will be cleaning teeth and removing cavities for rest of your life, for people that might not have brushed in days. The job sucks regardless of pay. But, whatever I guess some people like cleaning others filth. Enjoy doing that for rest of your life ;)

100% of OD's never touch a surgical tool in their life. Opthamologist's should have absorbed your profession a long time ago.

lol

1) Learn to spell ophthalmologist for the 100th time.
2) Stop trolling.
3) ODs can perform in some states - Laser trabeculoplasty, laser iridotomy, YAG Capsulotomy, Keratorefractive surgery (PRK) and chalazia excision. Not to mention the minor surgeries such as foreign body removal, lacrimal duct irrigation/dilation and epilation, in almost all states.
4) Stop trolling because you suck at it and you are showing your ignorance.

If using tools mean I have to remove cavities, plaque etc etc. Then you can keep those tools, don't want them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep throwing those numbers around but that doesn't change the fact that you will be cleaning teeth and removing cavities for rest of your life, for people that might not have brushed in days. The job sucks regardless of pay. But, whatever I guess some people like cleaning others filth. Enjoy doing that for rest of your life ;)

The only thing that's gonna suck is your 75K salary and useless profession. I'm fine with my 200K and my awesome lifestyle. :)

If using tools mean I have to remove cavities, plaque etc etc. Then you can keep those tools, don't want them.

Yes I dont mean machines that do your entire job for you :)

lol

1) Learn to spell ophthalmologist for the 100th time.
2) Stop trolling.
3) ODs can perform in some states - Laser trabeculoplasty, laser iridotomy, YAG Capsulotomy, Keratorefractive surgery (PRK) and chalazia excision. Not to mention the minor surgeries such as foreign body removal, lacrimal duct irrigation/dilation and epilation, in almost all states.
4) Stop trolling because you suck at it and you are showing your ignorance.

Good luck moving to Alaska :laugh:

Maybe we shouldn't be so antagonistic towards each other. We all have a role in this world.

The only thing that's gonna suck is your 75K salary and useless profession. I'm fine with my 200K and my awesome lifestyle. :)

Yes, your awesome lifestyle where you will be cleaning other people's filth for rest of your life.

This forum is obviously not moderated at all.

This thread's too funny.

The OD boards have an eternal troll that reincarnates himself at various times utilizing a number of different sn. It gets pretty funny, and like a NASCAR crash, it keeps me watching.

Yes, your awesome lifestyle where you will be cleaning other people's filth for rest of your life.

yup better than being a dumb OD that can't get into med school and makes 75k a year :laugh:

yup better than being a dumb OD that can't get into med school and makes 75k a year :laugh:

Last time I checked dental students didn't go to med school either. So, you are just a dumb dental student that couldn't get into med school. Not only that you will be cleaning teeth for rest of your sad little life. :laugh:

Last time I checked dental students didn't go to med school either. So, you are just a dumb dental student that couldn't get into med school. Not only that you will be cleaning teeth for rest of your sad little life. :laugh:

haha you're just as dumb as you sound. Who ever said I wanted to go to med school? I love dentistry, while I make 200K an work 50 hours a week :) It's a lot tougher to get into dental school than it is to get into OD school. It requires a 3.5 GPA and a competitive DAT score i.e 80 to 88th percentile. Its not as easy as OD school with your 60th percentiles and 3.1 GPAs :)

But that;'s why you'll sit in a dark room and earn your 75K because you have a subpar GPA and average OAT score :) Good luck loser!3
I also forgot to mention that you're a ***** because dentists dont do cleanings! Since you're teeth probably look as beautiful as your face, you should know that Dental Hygienists clean teeth and guess what they also outearn ODs hahahahahahaha :) quite sad isnt it? But don't worry you're definitely going into the right profession ;)

Last edited:
haha you're just as dumb as you sound. Who ever said I wanted to go to med school? I love dentistry, while I make 200K an work 50 hours a week :) It's a lot tougher to get into dental school than it is to get into OD school. It requires a 3.5 GPA and a competitive DAT score i.e 80 to 88th percentile. Its not as easy as OD school with your 60th percentiles and 3.1 GPAs :)

But that;'s why you'll sit in a dark room and earn your 75K because you have a subpar GPA and average OAT score :) Good luck loser!3
I also forgot to mention that you're a ***** because dentists dont do cleanings! Since you're teeth probably look as beautiful as your face, you should know that Dental Hygienists clean teeth and guess what they also outearn ODs hahahahahahaha :) quite sad isnt it? But don't worry you're definitely going into the right profession ;)

You keep pretending that I couldn't get into Dental school. If a clown like you can get into dental school it shouldn't be too bad. I had the stats but chose not to and there is no shortage of dental schools either. Because looking into people's mouth for rest of my life to remove cavities is not my thing. But deep down you hate dentistry too because only thing you keep going back is 200k making it obvious that only redeeming quality of this profession might be the salary. Everything else is garbage like you.

I have to admit something to you guys...I'm an Anti-Dentite.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythrdCsOFJU[/YOUTUBE]

The joke was "what's the difference between Dentists and Sadists? Newer magazines"

Even Seinfeld made fun of how dentists are just students that couldn't get into medical school.

Last edited:
Again....why are you all even bothering to feed this troll? I'd be $10 it's socal or optom123 or any one of those made up IDs from a few months back.

But even if it's not....the question remains....why even bothering to feed this troll?

For what it's worth, two of the smartest people I've ever encountered are dentists. Both had photographic memories and could "study" for a midterm exam in the time it takes me to shave....and do very well.

I have a friend who went to an OD program in which the basic sciences were taught to MD/OD/Dental students all in the same class, same tests, same curve, etc. He said the OD students were always at the bottom (sorry, just being honest) and that the dental students would often out-score the MD students.

I think most student dentists these days are not in dental school because they couldn't make it into med school (although, I'm sure there are some). Most are there because they probably ran the numbers and saw that they stand to make a much smaller investment of time and money and will actually end up in a profession that is more stable and has a better future than many physicians will have. Take a look at the incomes for newly minted endodontists (a 6-7 year track after undergrad) and compare it to what a newly minted, residency trained OD makes or what a newly minted MD makes. You might be surprised.

You keep pretending that I couldn't get into Dental school. If a clown like you can get into dental school it shouldn't be too bad. I had the stats but chose not to and there is no shortage of dental schools either. Because looking into people's mouth for rest of my life to remove cavities is not my thing. But deep down you hate dentistry too because only thing you keep going back is 200k making it obvious that only redeeming quality of this profession might be the salary. Everything else is garbage like you.

I'm sure you couldnt get in if you tried. I had an overall GPA of 3.5 and a science GPA of 3.7 with a DAT score in the 90th percentile. I'm sure your 3.2 and 310 on the OAT aren't enough for any real medical profession :)

I'm glad you think I hate dentistry because you're gonna be miserable sitting in a dark room for 10 hours a day making 75K. I love conversing with people, working in an active and dynamic environment and knowing that I actually make a difference in someones life. When you have a toothache nothing else matters and having the ability to take that pain away and having a patient say "thanks doc." is a pretty awesome feeling. I dunno if the same can be said for someone that writes a prescription for contact lenses LOL or looking at old grandmothers all day and giving them 3 eye drops really makes you a "doctor"

I have to admit something to you guys...I'm an Anti-Dentite.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythrdCsOFJU[/YOUTUBE]

The joke was "what's the difference between Dentists and Sadists? Newer magazines"

Even Seinfeld made fun of how dentists are just students that couldn't get into medical school.

I never tried to make it into medical school because I'm not interested in being an MD. I also love Seinfeld but I don't really use that as a life lesson type of thing LOL You don't have to like dentists, because you're happy you got into the easiest OD school in the world and you're stats are way below average. In NYC your stats would be too low for a nursing program lol

For what it's worth, two of the smartest people I've ever encountered are dentists. Both had photographic memories and could "study" for a midterm exam in the time it takes me to shave....and do very well.

I have a friend who went to an OD program in which the basic sciences were taught to MD/OD/Dental students all in the same class, same tests, same curve, etc. He said the OD students were always at the bottom (sorry, just being honest) and that the dental students would often out-score the MD students.

I think most student dentists these days are not in dental school because they couldn't make it into med school (although, I'm sure there are some). Most are there because they probably ran the numbers and saw that they stand to make a much smaller investment of time and money and will actually end up in a profession that is more stable and has a better future than many physicians will have. Take a look at the incomes for newly minted endodontists (a 6-7 year track after undergrad) and compare it to what a newly minted, residency trained OD makes or what a newly minted MD makes. You might be surprised.

That's was part of my decision process. I think all medical professions are interesting and offer their own pros/cons. I have a lot of friends in MD, PA, DDS, RN, RDH, and OD fields. As I mentioned before, I actually considered OD at one point but after reading about the field and what it really has to offer, both professionally and financially I realized it wasn't the best option I could make. 8 years of education to make 90K, no thanks. DDS is an awesome field with less residency requirements than an MD, incomes are at 150K and above and the lifestyle is amazing since most dentists dont work more than 40 to 50 hours a week.

The field of healthcare has got to be the only place where you find overly insecure individuals taking jabs at each other.

I've never heard or seen this anywhere else.

Can't we all just be happy with ourselves?

The field of healthcare has got to be the only place where you find overly insecure individuals taking jabs at each other.

Its in every field. Have you been in business meetings or the finance field? In OD school almost everyone is awesome to each other. I was a bit surprised.

Also the higher up the ladder you go the more depressed/neurotic/paranoid/type A people you will meet. Depressed because they are not happy where they are so they always shoot for higher up. Neurotic because they constantly have to be busy to further themselves. Paranoid because they don't want other people taking their spots/positions and well Type A is pretty self-explanatory. They want to be at the top so they are at or near it.

And yes, I wish we could all be happy with ourselves. But the Hippies in the 60's dropped out and were just happy camping out and not doing much. They really let that one down lol.

Btw, Eilat is an awesome resort town. Really really hot though :O

Its in every field. Have you been in business meetings or the finance field? In OD school almost everyone is awesome to each other. I was a bit surprised.

Also the higher up the ladder you go the more depressed/neurotic/paranoid/type A people you will meet. Depressed because they are not happy where they are so they always shoot for higher up. Neurotic because they constantly have to be busy to further themselves. Paranoid because they don't want other people taking their spots/positions and well Type A is pretty self-explanatory. They want to be at the top so they are at or near it.

And yes, I wish we could all be happy with ourselves. But the Hippies in the 60's dropped out and were just happy camping out and not doing much. They really let that one down lol.

Btw, Eilat is an awesome resort town. Really really hot though :O

All medical fields are pretty cool in their respective schools but you also have gunners in every circle.

Ya it's kind of sad, I could go over to the dental forums and ruffle some feathers about how they all chose dentistry cause they couldn't get into med school, but I won't because I DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT DENTISTRY--IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY CAREER PATH. The troll on here really needs to realize that if he IS in fact a dental student, why are ALL of his posts on the Optometry forum?? lol.

Ya it's kind of sad, I could go over to the dental forums and ruffle some feathers about how they all chose dentistry cause they couldn't get into med school, but I won't because I DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT DENTISTS BECAUSE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH OPTOMETRY. The troll on here really needs to realize that if he IS in fact a dental student, why are ALL of his posts on the Optometry forum?? lol.

The thread was bout the financial aspect of OD and my other thread was bout OAT percentiles. You dont need to be in the OD program to realize it's not financially reliable. You dont care about fields that you'd never get into. That's fine, but don't let your ignorance make other people choose the OD profession for the wrong reasons.

The thread was bout the financial aspect of OD and my other thread was bout OAT percentiles. You dont need to be in the OD program to realize it's not financially reliable. You dont care about fields that you'd never get into. That's fine, but don't let your ignorance make other people choose the OD profession for the wrong reasons.

If you want to know, I have friends from my undergrad that are now at Berkeley and SUNY and they had 3.8-4.0 GPAs and scored around a 380-400 on the OAT, and they CHOSE Optometry. People are going to do what they want to do and I don't understand your motivation if you're a dental student. At least Jason K has motivation, he doesn't want students to end up unhappy like him-so what's your deal? Why not go on the dental forums and motivate future dental students if you have all this advice to dish out?

I chose OD school for the scope of practice loopholes and low school cost.

If you want to know, I have friends from my undergrad that are now at Berkeley and SUNY and they had 3.8-4.0 GPAs and scored around a 380-400 on the OAT, and they CHOSE Optometry. People are going to do what they want to do and I don't understand your motivation if you're a dental student. At least Jason K has motivation, he doesn't want students to end up unhappy like him-so what's your deal? Why not go on the dental forums and motivate future dental students if you have all this advice to dish out?

I'm glad you have friends, but unfortunately your stats are so sub-par that you're unqualified to speak here at all LOL I'm motivating future OD students who will throw away their academic future. There are a ton of smart pre-OD students that should consider other career choices to maximize their opportunities, you are clearly not one of them.

I'm glad you have friends, but unfortunately your stats are so sub-par that you're unqualified to speak here at all LOL I'm motivating future OD students who will throw away their academic future. There are a ton of smart pre-OD students that should consider other career choices to maximize their opportunities, you are clearly not one of them.

Yes you are so much more qualified to be on an OD forum considering you are
A. not a financial adviser
B. never taken the OAT
C. never worked for an OD
D. not an OD

Wow your 3 point higher GPA makes you soooo much smarter than me! If you want to know, I've taken a sample DAT and scored extremely high because there's no Physics on it, which is the hardest section of the OAT. Also I'm pretty sure my undergrad college is ranked A LOT higher than yours considering it's a top ten. So this is my last post to address you- let Jason K and KHE and actual ODs give out advice to students considering Optometry.

I'm sure you couldnt get in if you tried. I had an overall GPA of 3.5 and a science GPA of 3.7 with a DAT score in the 90th percentile. I'm sure your 3.2 and 310 on the OAT aren't enough for any real medical profession :)

Those stats are nothing special. My GPA was better than that and OAT in 96th percentile (360 AA, 380 TS). You post your 90th percentile and will post my 96th percentile score. Would that shut you up?

Yes you are so much more qualified to be on an OD forum considering you are
A. not a financial adviser
B. never taken the OAT
C. never worked for an OD
D. not an OD

Wow your 3 point higher GPA makes you soooo much smarter than me! If you want to know, I've taken a sample DAT and scored extremely high because there's no Physics on it, which is the hardest section of the OAT. Also I'm pretty sure my undergrad college is ranked A LOT higher than yours considering it's a top ten. So this is my last post to address you- let Jason K and KHE and actual ODs give out advice to students considering Optometry.

I think you live in la-la land first of all the sample DAT is a joke, its not as hard as the real one. Second of all, not a single school is given a higher preference due to perception vs. GPA. Enough people dont get into dental school even if they went to UCLA for ugrad and had a 3.0 GPA. GPA trumps all else in most medical profession, not school rank or perception.

You dont need to be a financial adviser to look at basic numbers and interpret that OD is a shi**y choice of a career. I've read enough on here and other sites to determine that its a BS profession with a BS future. Don't hate me, I don't set the salaries or the rules. your lovely profession does that.

Those stats are nothing special. My GPA was better than that and OAT in 96th percentile (360 AA, 380 TS). You post your 90th percentile and will post my 96th percentile score. Would that shut you up?

:laugh: Ye right, you're just lying to feel better about a crappy choice to attend a low ball profession called OD.

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

:laugh: Ye right, you're just lying to feel better about a crappy choice to attend a low ball profession called OD.

Put your money where you mouth is. You said you had a 90th percentile DAT and I had 310 OAT. Prove it, I just scanned my test results just waiting for you to post yours. Come on tough guy.

Put your money where you mouth is. You said you had a 90th percentile DAT and I had 310 OAT. Prove it, I just scanned my test results just waiting for you to post yours. Come on tough guy.

yes I'm sure you'll go to google and download an image to send my way very clever. :)

Trust me it will be real. With part of my name, part of my SIN, date, location, score from each section etc. etc..Come on Mr. Dental Student since you think you are so much superior than rest of us why not prove it.

Trust me it will be real. With part of my name, part of my SIN, date, location, score from each section etc. etc..Come on Mr. Dental Student since you think you are so much superior than rest of us why not prove it.
2ib0tad.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.