optometry is great!!! read this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to know, I have friends from my undergrad that are now at Berkeley and SUNY and they had 3.8-4.0 GPAs and scored around a 380-400 on the OAT, and they CHOSE Optometry.

These will be the folks that replace me on this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Trust me it will be real. With part of my name, part of my SIN, date, location, score from each section etc. etc..Come on Mr. Dental Student since you think you are so much superior than rest of us why not prove it.

your turn :D

your turn :D

Sorry layogurt, you are no better than an optometry student. Now shut up and leave. Also, I want you frame this in your bedroom so before you make fun of any optometry student you think twice.

OAT Score 001.jpg

Attachments

• OAT Score.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
And all the sections on the DAT and OAT are identical except for physics and perceptual ability. Owned.

And all the sections on the DAT and OAT are identical except for physics and perceptual ability. Owned.

Exactly!! This clown has been making fun of optometry students for a quite a while now. Like we couldn't get into any other type of professional school. Also, all my Canadian friends have better scores than mine and still have trouble getting into University of Waterloo school of optometry. Their stats will put most medical students to shame let alone dental students.
There are many highly bright and hard working students in this field. After this embarrassment, this guy should do himself a favor and never show his face on these forums again.

You guys are crazy.... this was an entertaining read.

I think I'll stay away from the fire that's being fed here.

All I remember was a dental student friend who had just graduated from dental school. We saw him across the street walking by.

He raised both arms and yelled "I'm a doctor!!"

And then me and my med school buddy were like...

"Relax, buddy! You're a dentist."

He kept quiet.

Although our dental friend did do pretty well... he ended up being an associate making $160K/yr. He's been making that since I started residency.

I just thought that was a pretty funny incident.

Last edited:

All I remember was a dental student friend who had just graduated from dental school. We saw him across the street walking by.

He kept quiet.

My friend is now in Orthopedics and I'm in ER. Although my friend did do pretty well... he ended up being an associate making $160K/yr. He's been making that since I started residency.

Wow... are you sure you were actually friends? That's a really mean thing to say to someone who's all excited about just graduating. I'm really glad I don't know anyone like you guys IRL. This thread is just full of mean and crazy, and you're not exempted.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is just full of mean and crazy, and you're not exempted.

We actually need mean people. The main issue with optometry is that there are WAY TOO MANY NICE PEOPLE. We all get abused by the medical community, insurance companies, commercial giants and even our own leadership AOA. But, we all keep bending over and taking it up the ass. If this profession actually had few extra mean souls we wouldn't be in such shambles.

We actually need mean people. The main issue with optometry is that there are WAY TOO MANY NICE PEOPLE. We all get abused by the medical community, insurance companies, commercial giants and even our own leadership AOA. But, we all keep bending over and taking it up the ass. If this profession actually had few extra mean souls we wouldn't be in such shambles.

There's a fine line between mean and assertive.

Wow... are you sure you were actually friends? That's a really mean thing to say to someone who's all excited about just graduating. I'm really glad I don't know anyone like you guys IRL. This thread is just full of mean and crazy, and you're not exempted.

Tongue in cheek. You had to be there. He knows we were joking... I'm sure he was too.

You get abused because your profession is LAME. How am I owned when one person like you scored better than me LOL the average OAT score is a 320 which is the 60th to 70th percentile that means the OD students are either very dumb and can't do well on the OAT or schools are desperate for students. If OAT and DAT are similar exams why are the standards so much higher for dental school. Why are average students in the 80th to 85th percentiles? Because dentistry is a REAL medical specialty, it deals with effective diagnosis and treatment. It doesn't involve using a machine to tell you the "answer" for everything and it's not a hands-off wishy washy type of role where the "OD doctor" doesn't even touch the patient with any surgical tools or performs any hands on procedures.

By scoring high on the OAT and going to OD school, you're just proving that you can't make a good decision in life and you'd willing to sit in a dark room all day for 90K and hoping someone would call you "doc" while you do some effective "diagnosis and treatment" get real man. You make people read from an eye chart and you give them contacts, your profession is a joke!

He kept quiet.

Although our dental friend did do pretty well... he ended up being an associate making $160K/yr. He's been making that since I started residency.

MDs always abuse dentists, that's not a new trend. I dont intend on having people call me "doctor" outside of my office. However, I never wanted to be an MD, so I'm also not the jealous type. I think both professions MD and DDS are highly competitive, use real hands on skills, and are more of a doctor than any OD.

Exactly!! This clown has been making fun of optometry students for a quite a while now. Like we couldn't get into any other type of professional school. Also, all my Canadian friends have better scores than mine and still have trouble getting into University of Waterloo school of optometry. Their stats will put most medical students to shame let alone dental students.
There are many highly bright and hard working students in this field. After this embarrassment, this guy should do himself a favor and never show his face on these forums again.

Most OD students like Optomochick wouldn't even get into a Nursing program in NYC with a 3.0 GPA and an average OD student isn't smart either so calm yourself there buddy. Just cause you're the exception and you scored well but were stupid enough to go to OD school doesnt mean you're OD pals are very smart.

Members don't see this ad :)
layogurt, I already owned you pretty bad. Made a fool out of you on this forum. Nothing you say from now will help you recover from the embarrassment you suffered few hrs ago. So much for the 90th percentile DAT you were so proud of, how does the dirt taste?

layogurt, I already owned you pretty bad. Made a fool out of you on this forum. Nothing you say from now will help you recover from the embarrassment you suffered few hrs ago. So much for the 90th percentile DAT you were so proud of, how does the dirt taste?

My mom told me to never argue with an idiot. She was right. so i'll stop arguing with you. Good luck making 90K while I blow you're ***** out of the water with 200K :) hahaha

My mom told me to never argue with an idiot. She was right. so i'll stop arguing with you. Good luck making 90K while I blow you're ***** out of the water with 200K :) hahaha

Your mom should have also told you, not to stick you nose where it doesn't belong. Take this as a lesson and learn from it. Wish you all the best!!

"You're" is a contraction for, "you are." I think you missed your (not you're) 3rd grade grammar lesson.

MDs always abuse dentists, that's not a new trend. I dont intend on having people call me "doctor" outside of my office. However, I never wanted to be an MD, so I'm also not the jealous type. I think both professions MD and DDS are highly competitive, use real hands on skills, and are more of a doctor than any OD.

I never wanted to be a dentist, so I'm also not the jealous type.

I think most people would argue that Optometrists are more of doctors than dentists will EVER be. ODs treat eye diseases...dentists are basically a car-wash for teeth. What you clearly don't understand is that "intelligence" is not based on a GPA number, it's also about networking and where you end up in life. I'm pretty sure you'll end up a sad old divorced dentist some day, so good luck with that.

Your mom should have also told you, not to stick you nose where it doesn't belong. Take this as a lesson and learn from it. Wish you all the best!!

blah blah blah go back to a dark room loser.

I never wanted to be a dentist, so I'm also not the jealous type.

I think most people would argue that Optometrists are more of doctors than dentists will EVER be. ODs treat eye diseases...dentists are basically a car-wash for teeth. What you clearly don't understand is that "intelligence" is not based on a GPA number, it's also about networking and where you end up in life. I'm pretty sure you'll end up a sad old divorced dentist some day, so good luck with that.

:laugh: you're even worse than q1. just be quiet, a 3.0 GPA is right up your alley. :laugh:

Jesus H. Christ.....

In 7 years on this forum I've seen some pretty ridiculous threads but this one seriously might be the all time champion.

You should see the fight I had with a medical student on the ophthalmology forums. He ended up editting every single one of his posts toning them down LOL

You should see the fight I had with a medical student on the ophthalmology forums. He ended up editting every single one of his posts toning them down LOL

Shnurek, you usually can't even speak intelligently on the OD forum so why on Earth are you over on the medical forums making us look bad?

I already made you my official bitch with those scores, so keep barking. Don't stop just keep on barking.

haha *****, you're my bitch since i'm STILL gonna out earn you over my lifetime! :cool:

I think my pet has been fully trained. Watch him say something completely stupid when I say "bark". Such a obedient pet. Now "keep barking"

You need to castrate your pet to make it less aggressive.

The "average" score on a standardized test will depend on the students taking it that year. But will always be around the same number, because it is STANDARDIZED.

:confused:

This thread is incredibly ridiculous. I haven't seen anything like this on the board before. :scared:

I think my pet has been fully trained. Watch him say something completely stupid when I say "bark". Such a obedient pet. Now "keep barking"

yup im not as dumb as the OD student who actss "obediently" get a life you loser.

The "average" score on a standardized test will depend on the students taking it that year. But will always be around the same number, because it is STANDARDIZED.

:confused:

This thread is incredibly ridiculous. I haven't seen anything like this on the board before. :scared:

The average score for the OAT is almost the same as the average student that gets into an OD program therefore the program accepts students who get a very low percentile i.e. as low as the 60th percentile aka 319

The average score for the OAT is almost the same as the average student that gets into an OD program therefore the program accepts students who get a very low percentile i.e. as low as the 60th percentile aka 319

I just browsed the pre-dental threads for a couple mins and Dental schools except students with "sub-par" stats as well.

dmdluffy
YOSH!!~

PreDents: Profile 10425
02year.png

icon1.png

Accepted to Roseman, AWWW YEAHHHHH!!!

School: Roseman
Notification date: 4/6/12
Method of notification: Phone call
Residency: Oregon
AADSAS mail-out date: iunno
Application complete date: iunno
GPA (science, overall) 2.96 / 3.13
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22 / 21 / 24 / 24 / Nope

I just browsed the pre-dental threads for a couple mins and Dental schools except students with "sub-par" stats as well.

dmdluffy
YOSH!!~

PreDents: Profile 10425
02year.png

icon1.png

Accepted to Roseman, AWWW YEAHHHHH!!!

School: Roseman
Notification date: 4/6/12
Method of notification: Phone call
Residency: Oregon
AADSAS mail-out date: iunno
Application complete date: iunno
GPA (science, overall) 2.96 / 3.13
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22 / 21 / 24 / 24 / Nope

Again either you have a really low IQ to match your really low GPA or you dont understand what the word AVERAGE means. An AVERAGE dental student has higher stats than an average OD student. Dont give me one example and think that you're the boss LOL

If you need further help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average

There you go again with your stats and averages, didn't I settle that with you already or did you forget. Take your stats to your dental buddies because they didn't impress me or anyone else here.

You mean look good? Just like any good lawyer says, if your opposition is not angry then you are either not doing a good job or they have already won. You should read all of your own posts and realize that you make Optometry look bad. I'd say 99% of your posts are about how you want to get out of optometry, how you don't like it and how it is bad.

There you go again with your stats and averages, didn't I settle that with you already or did you forget. Take your stats to your dental buddies because they didn't impress me or anyone else here.

what did you settle you *****? you're only ONE person that scored way above Average. Optomochick makes you look like the toolbag that you are by getting into OD school with a 300 or whatever she low lame ass score she had. You might as well go find a hole and crawl into it because you're still a loser.

what did you settle you *****? you're only ONE person that scored way above Average. Optomochick makes you look like the toolbag that you are by getting into OD school with a 300 or whatever she low lame ass score she had. You might as well go find a hole and crawl into it because you're still a loser.

still barking

layogurt reminds me of this dude:

[youtube]SC0JGEAGMmA[/youtube]

layogurt reminds me of this dude:

[youtube]SC0JGEAGMmA[/youtube]

lets see if you even get accepted into an OD school because you talk a lot of smack ;)

Again either you have a really low IQ to match your really low GPA or you dont understand what the word AVERAGE means. An AVERAGE dental student has higher stats than an average OD student. Dont give me one example and think that you're the boss LOL

If you need further help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average

wait, so let me get this straight, when one low-stats student gets into dental school, we shouldn't look at him as an example but look at the AVERAGE of all students. Yet you keep using my scores to represent all Optometry students. You grossly contradict yourself. I browsed through the pre-dental thread of students getting accepted and the averages were all mixed, some low, some high, the same scores that matched our pre-opt thread. There's always going to be some people with super high stats and some with low stats getting in. I'm not sure why you think it's accurate to point out the top scores of the dental threads and then the low scores of the Opt threads. I mean look at Berkeley's stats, the average was 3.5 GPA. We could pull specific examples all day, but really there's always going to be smart students in every field.

TL;DR- students in the Optometry field are JUST AS INTELLIGENT AS DENTAL STUDENTS.

From Berkeley Optometry website:

GPA (Prereq. Courses Only, 2006-2009; Biology, Chemistry, Physics [BCP] GPA, as calculated through the OptomCAS application, starting 2010) Average 3.40 3.44 3.55 3.53 3.50
Average OAT Scores
(recalibrated May 2009 to adjust score averages) Academic Avg. (all subjects) 349 353 363 361 357

Dinkus great video lol.

Honestly, who cares. Optometry and dentistry are completely different professions. The only thing that is similar between us is that we both get a title of Dr. and the pre-requisites are almost the same. One is more lucrative than the other but if I was choosing my career choice just to make the most money possible, I'd be in finance right now.

One is more lucrative than the other but if I was choosing my career choice just to make the most money possible, I'd be in finance right now.

There's a huge difference between choosing a profession based purely on its income potential, and choosing one because it has a solid future. Optometry is poor in both of those categories; dentistry is not. Tell yourself all day long that optometry is simply "different" than dentistry, but the fact is, it's collapsing, and that's what makes it different.

It won't be long before you're in the real world - forced to see it for yourself. But if it makes you happy, keep farting around on the med/dental forums making ridiculous claims. Your house of cards is fragile enough, but it's built on a bed of quicksand.

Today's Feature Article: 20 Questions: Ben Chudner, OD, FAAO

http://studentdoctor.net/2012/07/20-questions-benjamin-s-chudner-o-d-f-a-a-o-2/

If you had it to do all over again, would you still become an optometrist? (Why or why not? What would you have done instead?)

That's actually a difficult question to answer. If I had to do it all over again back in 1993 when I entered optometry school, I definitely would. I have been very fortunate in my career. If I was looking at optometry today, knowing what I know today, then I don't think I would still become an optometrist. I say that because I've worked in just about every setting you can imagine, and I know that I would not be happy unless I could be in a private practice. That being said, if someone looking at the profession understands that most likely they will work in a corporate setting for at least the first several years, if not their entire career, and is fine with that, then I think this is still a good career choice. I didn't become an optometrist I probably would have considered dentistry.

WOW! Even an OD says the field is atrocious... hmmm... Should we ignore his advice? Of course! He's only an OD what does he really know :)

I didn't become an optometrist I probably would have considered dentistry.

Hmmm well I think the major issue today is the student loan crisis. Lets see if Dr. Chudner would choose dentistry back then if:

It is easier for older dentists like Daurang and me to take a week or two off for traveling but it won't be easy for new grad dentists for several reasons:

1. Unlike many recent grads, Daurang and I didn't borrowed a lot for our education. When you owe $300-400k in student loan debt and you only make $120k a year, you pretty much live from paycheck to paycheck. When you take a month off, there is no guarantee that your boss will wait for you to come back because he/she has a business to run.

I agree, the field sucks if you have a lot of student loan debt and you are forced into working commercial. That's like the worst situation to be in, in this career.

People think ooo, $200,000 in loans that's nothing I'll pay it back in 2-3 years, ODs make $100k a year right? WRONG. Try 10-20 years to pay that off because $200k becomes $275k by the time you graduate and $300k if you do a one year residency and it keeps piling on the interest if you do a long-term pay plan so you end up paying back like $500k-$600k in the end when your initial loan was only $200k. Also new ODs rarely make $100k, try $80k and ~30% of your paycheck goes to taxes so you take home like ~$55k.

tl : dr - People highly underestimate unsubsidized federal loans.

Hmmm well I think the major issue today is the student loan crisis. Lets see if Dr. Chudner would choose dentistry back then if:

I agree, the field sucks if you have a lot of student loan debt and you are forced into working commercial. That's like the worst situation to be in, in this career.

People think ooo, $200,000 in loans that's nothing I'll pay it back in 2-3 years, ODs make $100k a year right? WRONG. Try 10-20 years to pay that off because $200k becomes $275k by the time you graduate and $300k if you do a one year residency and it keeps piling on the interest if you do a long-term pay plan so you end up paying back like $500k-$600k in the end when your initial loan was only $200k. Also new ODs rarely make $100k, try $80k and ~30% of your paycheck goes to taxes so you take home like ~$55k.

tl : dr - People highly underestimate unsubsidized federal loans.

Most dental students dont take out 300K in loans and even that amount is feasible when you earn 120K or more. 120K is usually the starting salary of dentists and it works its up to 170K or above after 5 years. I agree with Dr. Chudner that OD

120K is usually the starting salary of dentists and it works its up to 170K or above after 5 years. I agree with Dr. Chudner that OD

Ehh no, more like $146,000 is the median salary. Just like for ODs its $95,000.

Most dental students dont take out 300K in loans and even that amount is feasible when you earn 120K or more. 120K is usually the starting salary of dentists and it works its up to 170K or above after 5 years. I agree with Dr. Chudner that OD

Don't create new screen names just b/c your account is on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.