Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the AOA side it's more about who you know than what you know.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking of Doctors, I have an audition end of November until the first half of December. When is their last interview date? Hoping that audition is not too late.

No it won't if you audition. Programs like Doctor's surprisingly take students with sub-500 scores if they play the game right. Anecdotal sure, but every year they have someone with scores in the 400's.

Problem is they will screen out some applicants based on scores (for auditions) . I can only speak for Doctors.

Now if you are very active in ACOEP you might have a leg up there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of Doctors, I have an audition end of November until the first half of December. When is their last interview date? Hoping that audition is not too late.

Last year it was the first or second week of December

I have auditions going into January, they said they will interview you before the audition, and they make their list right after my audition. So Dec is not too late.

Tread carefully, I know 2 programs that can audition at any time but they make their lists in December.
I spoke to their PD, they said they don't make their list until Mid-January, which would be right after my audition.

Reactions: 1 user
Did he say if they were matching allopathic this year? When I spoke to them they still had not decided.

@gamerEMdoc, can you comment on the likely scenario for the programs out there right now that have not obtained initial accreditation? I’m in a situation where I feel competitive for the ACGME match but have a lot of love for several of the AOA programs, including some that have already obtained initial accreditation and some that have not. Like a lot of applicants, I’m most concerned with getting good training.

I feel like the merger has, unintentionally, created a type of very superficial dichotomy: programs that 100% have met the requirements of the ACGME (because they’re now accredited) and those who haven’t or don’t intend to. What I’m most concerned with are those that haven’t yet or intend to. Is there another opportunity for RRC review this year? Should we assume that if a program has not yet applied that they will be unlikely to receive ACGME accreditation by the time rank list are due in 2017?

I suppose our application year will be unique because just enough of the AOA programs have pulled away to the 3-year ACGME pathway to make the calculus change. If we decide to participate in the AOA match, we’ll now be forced to do so with less overall available programs. I think an argument could also be made that those programs that transitioned early were able to do so as a direct reflection of their own priorities, standards, or quality. Whether this is fair or not is a different story.

Also, thank you for your participation in this thread. Your contributions have been helpful.

I wish I had an answer to this, but I dont. Im not sure what each programs plans are going forward. Obviously, there were a few of us who went after accredidation aggressively. The rest, time will tell about their intentions.

I do agree that the accredidation has put aoa students in a tough spot, there are fewer programs in the aoa match now. To be totally honest, I wish the merger never happened, its been a huge headache filled with uncertainty, and in the end we'll have gone from a very competitve position to a new unknown one in the acgme world. But it happened, and so we made the best of the hand we were dealt.

From what Ive heard based on talking to a few PD's only Lakeland is doing ACGME this year, the rest are still doing AOA. The earliest they said it would start is 2019.

I've looked through this 25 page thread and it seems all anyone talks about are DO residencies up north. Does anyone have any info on DO EM residencies in the south/Midwest, specifically Oklahoma, Texas or Arizona?

I've looked through this 25 page thread and it seems all anyone talks about are DO residencies up north. Does anyone have any info on DO EM residencies in the south/Midwest, specifically Oklahoma, Texas or Arizona?

There are no DO EM residencies in Texas oddly

From what Ive heard based on talking to a few PD's only Lakeland is doing ACGME this year, the rest are still doing AOA. The earliest they said it would start is 2019.

Confirmed Miami Mt Sinai will be using the ACGME match this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no DO EM residencies in Texas oddly

Ok well then what about Kingman (AZ), Freeman (MO), southwestern (OK), and tulsas. I haven't really seen much on any of these programs. Does anyone have any information on them? I know you have to rotate at OSU for the Tulsa one but I am an OSU student so I don't have to worry about that, but how does it compare to other Osteopathic EM residencies?

Ok well then what about Kingman (AZ), Freeman (MO), southwestern (OK), and tulsas. I haven't really seen much on any of these programs. Does anyone have any information on them? I know you have to rotate at OSU for the Tulsa one but I am an OSU student so I don't have to worry about that, but how does it compare to other Osteopathic EM residencies?

Tulsa- I rotated there 3years ago. Strong program in my opinion where you learn by doing. Would have been my number one but S.O. hates tornadoes. I can't remember Ed size or volume but moonlighting as a PGY2 is a huge plus.

You will need to rotate at Kingman for an interview. They are a small program about three hours south of Vegas. They see a lot of trauma/codes/etc since they are the only major hospital in that region. The PD is great and the residents are some of the smartest I've met - but I've heard some changes in leadership are in the works which may or may not be good.

Southwestern also requires a rotation and you have no guarantee of an interview after a rotation. I loved the program, the residents/attendings/PD were all fantastic - but, for students it's not a great rotation. They schedule 4-5 students at the same time. They are very busy but there was still plenty of time where we stood against the wall waiting for a new patient. There was also not nearly as much trauma/codes as other places I've been. The interview was also very formal, a group of about 12 interviewers and I felt it was very impersonable and didn't reflect the personality of the program which I already knew and loved.

So did either of you rotate at the other Oklahoma program or just the one you talked about? I'll probably rotate at both, I've seen both but haven't done much at either. Did either of you rotate at any other Midwest programs?

You will need to rotate at Kingman for an interview. They are a small program about three hours south of Vegas. They see a lot of trauma/codes/etc since they are the only major hospital in that region. The PD is great and the residents are some of the smartest I've met - but I've heard some changes in leadership are in the works which may or may not be good.

Southwestern also requires a rotation and you have no guarantee of an interview after a rotation. I loved the program, the residents/attendings/PD were all fantastic - but, for students it's not a great rotation. They schedule 4-5 students at the same time. They are very busy but there was still plenty of time where we stood against the wall waiting for a new patient. There was also not nearly as much trauma/codes as other places I've been. The interview was also very formal, a group of about 12 interviewers and I felt it was very impersonable and didn't reflect the personality of the program which I already knew and loved.

Im rotating there in the first 2 weeks of January. Talked to the PD she seemed really nice and welcoming, encouraged a rotation in January. She did say that even though my rotation is late, they will likely interview me earlier. Any advise? Is that incorrect?

1z16103.png

I assume if they are NOT participating, they are going over to ACGME? or closing?

1z16103.png

I assume if they are NOT participating, they are going over to ACGME? or closing?

The SJRMC, Newark, and St Luke's are officially only ACGME, if I remember correctly from last year. Not sure about the Ohio programs.

Im rotating there in the first 2 weeks of January. Talked to the PD she seemed really nice and welcoming, encouraged a rotation in January. She did say that even though my rotation is late, they will likely interview me earlier. Any advise? Is that incorrect?

January should be ok- most programs I was aware of didn't finalize their lists until end of January. And curious who you talked to - the PD when I went was a male (Dr S)...

January should be ok- most programs I was aware of didn't finalize their lists until end of January. And curious who you talked to - the PD when I went was a male (Dr S)...
I was talking regarding southwestern, not kingman. Sorry for confusion!

Interesting update I thought I'd share. As previously mentioned, our program was recently granted 3 year ACGME accredidation, and our PGY1s starting this week will start in a 3 year tract. Interestingly, ABEM and the ACGME recently contacted us to let us know that our current PGY1s (about to be PGY2's) were eligible to convert to a 3 year curriculum and still remain board eligible as long as they were taking the ABEM board. So as of this week, all of our soon to be PGY2s go the news that they were eligible to shave 1 year off their residency, and the all unanimously accepted. Unfortunately the 3rd/4th years weren't eligible. But for those classes involved, this marks a quick transition to ACGME accredidation and a more standard 3 year structure.

Reactions: 5 users
Im there in October! Let me know where you find housing please, I'm in the same boat.

Edit: Im there in September, this stupid COMLEX got me all twisted.

I ended up recently booking an aibnb for the month, though it isn't very close and it wasn't very cheap either. The closest I could find was a place about 20 minutes north of Dearborn, which leaves about a 45 minute commute to Trenton.

So I have a rotation at Southeastern that was set up per their coordinator. My schools coordinator emailed me today saying that that coordinator is no longer with the program and I'm not on schedule and I have a COMLEX under their min. I originally was encouraged to audition by the PD who said my COMLEX can be overlooked. Any advice on what to do? Email the PD? Email the Coordinator? This is kinda messing up my schedule...

So I have a rotation at Southeastern that was set up per their coordinator. My schools coordinator emailed me today saying that that coordinator is no longer with the program and I'm not on schedule and I have a COMLEX under their min. I originally was encouraged to audition by the PD who said my COMLEX can be overlooked. Any advice on what to do? Email the PD? Email the Coordinator? This is kinda messing up my schedule...

I would email the coordinator and cc the PD

Yikes. On one hand, I'd say just go elsewhere, I hate places that have "min board scores required". But I know that you have to have places to rotate. So if you still want to rotate there, I'd email the PD that encouraged you to audition.

Yikes. On one hand, I'd say just go elsewhere, I hate places that have "min board scores required". But I know that you have to have places to rotate. So if you still want to rotate there, I'd email the PD that encouraged you to audition.

Thanks for the input! I called the clarified the situation, the said I was already on schedule (prior coordinator put me on schedule but has since quit) but the new coordinator said that they need to approve my "exception of the min score"

There is a BRAND new program in Arkansas, they told me they want a min of 600. The person I talked to said when he was in U of Arkansas they required 600 of DO's to audition. How does that even make sense? Its a university, state program vs a brand new school in rural AR?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I called the clarified the situation, the said I was already on schedule (prior coordinator put me on schedule but has since quit) but the new coordinator said that they need to approve my "exception of the min score"

There is a BRAND new program in Arkansas, they told me they want a min of 600. The person I talked to said when he was in U of Arkansas they required 600 of DO's to audition. How does that even make sense? Its a university, state program vs a brand new school in rural AR?

It doesn't in light of the merger I would be extremely weary of this program.

Is anyone else concerned that there are only ~30 AOA EM programs registered on ERAS with the application set to open soon?

Reactions: 1 users

It doesn't. I've been playing phone and email tag with that individual for 2 weeks about my rejected audition application. The only thing I can think of is that since they were faculty at the MD program, that cutoff is all they know.

9 more days until COMLEX, something tells me I won't be auditioning there either.

Last edited:
Is anyone else concerned that there are only ~30 AOA EM programs registered on ERAS with the application set to open soon?

The rest are listed as "incomplete registration". I called a handful of them today and some of them weren't aware that it was listed that way and said they would look into it. The rest were aware and said it is taking ERAS a while to process their payment, but hopefully it should be fixed by the end of the week.

It doesn't. I've been playing phone and email tag with that individual for 2 weeks about my rejected audition application. The only thing I can think of is that since they were faculty at the MD program, that cutoff is all they know.

9 more days until COMLEX, something tells me I won't be auditioning there either.

I just wonder why their site wants DOs to take the usmle if it's Osteopathically recognized? Most DOs taking the usmle have no interests in a new program in Searcy Arkansas?

The rest are listed as "incomplete registration". I called a handful of them today and some of them weren't aware that it was listed that way and said they would look into it. The rest were aware and said it is taking ERAS a while to process their payment, but hopefully it should be fixed by the end of the week.
"The check is in the mail! It should be there tomorrow!"

I just wonder why their site wants DOs to take the usmle if it's Osteopathically recognized? Most DOs taking the usmle have no interests in a new program in Searcy Arkansas?

Maybe because this program wont be around in the next few years unless they get ACGME accreditation? That's my best guess. Might as well start taking the USMLE along with COMLEX right off the start.

I'm guessing it's got something to do with the PD and his familiarity (or possible lack thereof) with COMLEX? I can't see anybody with a 600 COMLEX and an appropriate USMLE score interested in there, especially since they would be competitive for the current ACGME program 45 miles down the road.

Myself, I've been going back and forth on taking USMLE. I was planning on just AOA residencies, but since Searcy wants it, I might as well take it and retool my list.

I'm guessing it's got something to do with the PD and his familiarity (or possible lack thereof) with COMLEX? I can't see anybody with a 600 COMLEX and an appropriate USMLE score interested in there, especially since they would be competitive for the current ACGME program 45 miles down the road.

Myself, I've been going back and forth on taking USMLE. I was planning on just AOA residencies, but since Searcy wants it, I might as well take it and retool my list.

You will likely regret not taking the USMLE. Just do it and open doors. If you haven't rotated through AOA programs yet, you may find yourself disappointed and choose ACGME. Might as well make it an option.

You will likely regret not taking the USMLE. Just do it and open doors. If you haven't rotated through AOA programs yet, you may find yourself disappointed and choose ACGME. Might as well make it an option.

Thanks. Looks like I can't get a test date until late August. Starting 3rd year then with a Psych rotation, so hopefully I can study for both the shelf and USMLE at the same time. COMLEX is in a week. My original plan was to get my SLOE's from my top 2 AOA programs, should probably change that as well.

Thanks. Looks like I can't get a test date until late August. Starting 3rd year then with a Psych rotation, so hopefully I can study for both the shelf and USMLE at the same time. COMLEX is in a week. My original plan was to get my SLOE's from my top 2 AOA programs, should probably change that as well.

I didn't take USMLE right after comlex; I think I took it a few months later. I just encourage you to make yourself as broadly marketable as possible and then you get to call the shots, rather than the other way round. Good luck.

I recently received my comlex and got a 579. I canceled my usmle 1 wk prior to taking bc both UW assessments were 210 and 211. Is not taking step 1 REALLY going to close that many doors? I'm just concerned I will do below avg on step 1 and that will negate a somewhat decent comlex score. I plan on taking step 2.
...gathering everything thing that I have read- it seems essential to apply ACGME in 2017 for the 2018 match.

any advice appreciated!

Last edited:
I recently received my comlex and got a 579. I canceled my usmle 1 wk prior to taking bc both UW assessments were 210 and 211. Is not taking step 1 REALLY going to close that many doors? I'm just concerned I will do below avg on step one and that will negate a somewhat decent comlex score. I plan on taking step 2.

You made the right call. As a DO, the general rule of thumb is that you should not take the USMLE unless you can do better than the national average, which for Step 1 currently stands at around 230. The thinking is that a low USMLE will actually look bad compared to an average COMLEX score.

For DO EM, you're fine. Now, it is very true that there are many MD EM programs that want to see a USMLE. Unfortunately, a lot of DO students believe the mantra that "77% of ACGME programs accept COMLEX..." In my search, I've found that many of the MD EM programs that accept COMLEX still really, really prefer to see a USMLE beside it, if only for comparison. There are some MD programs that are notoriously more DO-friendly than others and who will look at COMLEX on truly equal footing. Likewise, there are some DO-friendly ACGME programs that will ONLY look at DOs who have taken at least Step 1 of USMLE. Some require or highly encourage both steps. You have to accept the fact that these places will very likely be off limits come application season if you don't take the USMLE. In your situation, with the predictive scores you're obtaining, I think you've helped yourself more by not taking it. A low USMLE score would potentially eliminate you from consideration at some DO-friendly ACGME programs that will otherwise look at the 579 as an acceptable or slightly above average COMLEX score.

My suggestion would be to NOT take the USMLE unless your predictive scoring (NBME, UWSA) under simulated conditions is around 230 (current average).

Edit: I wanted to add that when people say a DO student will "regret" not taking USMLE, they're typically talking about those individuals who just didn't take it because they didn't want to go through another day of testing. I personally know people who would score plenty high enough on the USMLE and just don't take the exam. As someone who has taken both, it sucks. Spending two 8-9 hour days at the end of 2nd year (Step 1/Level 1) and again in 4th year (Step 2/Level 2) is really not a pleasurable experience. It's also expensive. I imagine it's comparable to paying out-of-pocket for a colonoscopy (with bad sedation) twice when you're 25 and healthy. These are the people who regret the decision. Preferences for speciality and geographic regions change. Some areas of the country require USMLE more so than others. But if you're having a hard time getting to that predicted average USMLE score, then your considerations are dramatically different because your individual situation is different.

Last edited:
You made the right call. As a DO, the general rule of thumb is that you should not take the USMLE unless you can do better than the national average, which for Step 1 currently stands at around 230. The thinking is that a low USMLE will actually look bad compared to an average COMLEX score.

For DO EM, you're fine. Now, it is very true that there are many MD EM programs that want to see a USMLE. Unfortunately, a lot of DO students believe the mantra that "77% of ACGME programs accept COMLEX..." In my search, I've found that many of the MD EM programs that accept COMLEX still really, really prefer to see a USMLE beside it, if only for comparison. There are some MD programs that are notoriously more DO-friendly than others and who will look at COMLEX on truly equal footing. Likewise, there are some DO-friendly ACGME programs that will ONLY look at DOs who have taken at least Step 1 of USMLE. Some require or highly encourage both steps. You have to accept the fact that these places will very likely be off limits come application season if you don't take the USMLE. In your situation, with the predictive scores you're obtaining, I think you've helped yourself more by not taking it. A low USMLE score would potentially eliminate you from consideration at some DO-friendly ACGME programs that will otherwise look at the 579 as an acceptable or slightly above average COMLEX score.

My suggestion would be to NOT take the USMLE unless your predictive scoring (NBME, UWSA) under simulated conditions is around 230 (current average).

Thanks...that was my thought-guess I just needed some affirmation. you really put me at ease...I was frantically trying to figure out how to reschedule my step. I guess I'll just have to settle with the fact that doors are shut and move forward...at this point 2 months into rotations, not sure how much higher I could get my practice score-we're talking about a 20-30 point jump.

Do you feel that there is any use in taking Step 2? Will that hold some weight with anyone? My school makes us take the NBME shelves so I will have a good idea of where I stand going in.

I'd suggest contacting specific programs and asking their requirements for steps. I love SDN, but get that info from the source.

Edit: I wanted to add that when people say a DO student will "regret" not taking USMLE, they're typically talking about those individuals who just didn't take it because they didn't want to go through another day of testing. I personally know people who would score plenty high enough on the USMLE and just don't take the exam. As someone who has taken both, it sucks. Spending two 8-9 hour days at the end of 2nd year (Step 1/Level 1) and again in 4th year (Step 2/Level 2) is really not a pleasurable experience. It's also expensive. I imagine it's comparable to paying out-of-pocket for a colonoscopy (with bad sedation) twice when you're 25 and healthy. These are the people who regret the decision. Preferences for speciality and geographic regions change. Some areas of the country require USMLE more so than others. But if you're having a hard time getting to that predicted average USMLE score, then your considerations are dramatically different because your individual situation is different.

If you have a second, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind saying what MD programs you've come across that are the notoriously more DO friendly ones. As a fourth year who was going to only apply AOA, who is now also looking for some ACGME as the merger progresses, I'm definitely seeking out those DO friendly spots!!

If you have a second, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind saying what MD programs you've come across that are the notoriously more DO friendly ones. As a fourth year who was going to only apply AOA, who is now also looking for some ACGME as the merger progresses, I'm definitely seeking out those DO friendly spots!!

There is a list on the forum somewhere and it was spot on when I applied.

I'll echo this. Most of the places I called said they required Step 1 and strongly encouraged Step 2. The PD at a large, well respected ACGME EM program where I worked prior to medical school told me that as a DO student I should take both steps. He said he didn't even look at COMLEX or know how to interpret it and he needs to be able to evaluate students using the same test, which is the USMLE since MD students don't take COMLEX. Honestly, I thought the USMLE was more challenging and did a better job of testing my medical knowledge. I took both Step 1 and Step 2 and would encourage future applicants to take both if you want to apply to ACGME EM programs.

Many of the acgme residencies list their current/past residents on their website. Look through them and see which ones have accepted DOs in the past. If you haven't seen a single DO accepted there in 20 years, you have your answer.

I agree take both steps, especially now with the merger. I had multiple friends the year above me match with scores in the 220s and the PD said they probably wouldn't have ranked them with just a comlex of 550-600 because they had no idea what it meant. The competition is taking usmle.