OSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget to join the facebook group called "OSU-COM Class of 2013!" Last year they planned a get together before school started through facebook!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!!!! Where are you located? I interveiwed January 15th and haven't heard a word. Now I am really nervous!

I am located in OKC!!! They actually called me yesterday to tell me and I received the packet today! The phone call caught me off guard because I didn't know that they were calling but I was glad for it! I'm so excited!!

In regards to 0350408's post, I have to completely disagree. If going to medical school is what you want- regardless of how many times you have applied- and you are willing to wait, then keep going for it. It's easy to say "give up" to someone else when you are already there.

This is my third time to apply. The two times before this I have interviewed, been put on the waitlist, and then put on the final waitlist- and let me tell you, I don't do this for fun. I continue to apply because it is my passion and it is what I know I want to do. I am a firm believer that God has a plan for me, and becoming a doctor is part of that plan. I also believe that it is going to happen on His time, not mine, and he is working on my life in other areas right now, which is why I haven't begun this journey. This time around, I interviewed on the 14th of this month, and I haven't heard anything yet, but I haven't given up. I don't think you should ever tell anyone to give up on their dreams.

I don't mean to preach or offend anyone, that's just my $.02 on the subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to 0350408's post, I have to completely disagree. If going to medical school is what you want- regardless of how many times you have applied- and you are willing to wait, then keep going for it. It's easy to say "give up" to someone else when you are already there.

This is my third time to apply. The two times before this I have interviewed, been put on the waitlist, and then put on the final waitlist- and let me tell you, I don't do this for fun. I continue to apply because it is my passion and it is what I know I want to do. I am a firm believer that God has a plan for me, and becoming a doctor is part of that plan. I also believe that it is going to happen on His time, not mine, and he is working on my life in other areas right now, which is why I haven't begun this journey. This time around, I interviewed on the 14th of this month, and I haven't heard anything yet, but I haven't given up. I don't think you should ever tell anyone to give up on their dreams.

I don't mean to preach or offend anyone, that's just my $.02 on the subject.

I agree completely! Thank you Chi-O I think this needed to be said. :thumbup:

yes it needed to be said good post. I interviewed jan 8 last year and haven't heard a peep this year. doesn't make me want to quit I will continue to improve my app and just keep applying if needed.

I talked to Sarah Q and she said letters went out Monday from the last set of interviews. So basically if you got accepted you would already know. I still haven't gotten my letter- I'm guessing the weather delayed it?

And I'm taking the MCAT tomorrow- wish me luck :(

good luck with the mcat chi-o, a good night sleep is better than cramming.

I finally got an interview!!!!! Feb. 13th!!!! Wooohooo :) :) :) :)

Congratulations!!!

Chi O, have you received anything yet? Even the US postal service doesn't take five days to get a letter from Tulsa to Edmond. At this point I am hoping for a waitlist, but it has been so long it makes you wonder...... Being outright rejected is going to hurt.

tall gal when did you find out?

I will be interviewing on the 13th also!

Congratulations you guys! I posted my interview response thing, but I'll give you a heads up- they asked me a lot of clinical questions. Like, how do I deal with a noncompliant patient, when do you drop a noncompliant patient, etc. And be sure to review your application and personal statement because they asked me specific questions about that too. But don't sweat it, it's a really laid back day.

And I live in Tulsa and still haven't gotten my letter! If I don't get it tomorrow I'm going to call again Monday. Don't assume the worst, I'm pretty sure they mail the waitlist and reapplication letters together, so the fact that it has taken this long doesn't mean anything yet. Well, except that we didn't get accepted :rolleyes:

Chi-O: Waitlist at OSU is not bad at all there is alot of movement as students begin to be accepted to other schools. There are also alot of MD/DO applicants that are sitting on acceptances to both, and often are using DO as a backup (note: not trying to start flame war I applied only DO).

Members don't see this ad :)
Chi - o, I think you took one small part of my post and blew it slighty out of proportion. The point was to try and get some of you to relax. You took the one line about trying another avenue and used that to describe the entire post. I figured that the ones on this site that have applied multiple times might take that the wrong way, but was also hoping they would see through to the bigger picture. I'm not one to discount anyone. When I took the MCAT I walked out and told my wife that if it wasn't good enough I was going to get my MBA, even though medicine is where my heart lies. I was being realistic. If you have the drive,time, money, and most importantly, the energy to apply 3 or even 4 times, god bless. I don't/didn't. It woulnd't matter if I was here in school or not, I'd still have that opinion. I'm married and don't feel that it would be fair to my family to continue to chase a dream of mine. I've been on this site for close to two years and I'm pretty sure atleast some of you know me by my posts by now. If not, I apologize. What you aren't giving me credit for, Chi, is the fact that I'm here now, I've been where you are, and I've got experience from both angles. Once again, Congratulations to those that have been accepted and those that have interviewed, or will be interviewing.

good post 03 explaining your position I didn't take the earlier post to be entirely discouraging but like you said one line can kind of rub people the wrong way.
I am married and agree there is a limit to what I will put my fam and kids through. still this is my second cycle and if I must try a third time I will have to talk it over with her and we will weigh our options.

No hard feelings, like I said, that was just my $.02.

I'm going on three weeks since I interviewed, and still no letter. What the heck!?!

I got my waitlist letter today. It's better than a rejection....but I am horrible at waiting.

I did. I graduated last May. Its a great school. I really liked the smaller classes.

Cool, I didn't know if i'd see you around.

I haven't posted on here this interview process. I was waitlisted 2 years in a row and made it in last year. Stay positive, diligent, and persistent. Open your options to other schools outside of the state, such as KCUMB and ATSU. OSU has a small class size and are very picky, especially about MCAT. Nonetheless, if you stay positive and continue to improve, you will eventually get in. Unlike previous posts, I do not condone giving up. If you want to be a doctor, you will find a way to get into medical school, you just may not be at OSU. If you absolutely have to go to OSU, look into the bridge program and DO/MS program. If you have any questions about either program, then PM me or just ask on the forum.
The osu admissions committee is meeting this week i'm pretty sure, therefore they are probably going to start pulling people from waitlist soon. Only speculation though. If you are admitted: join the facebook page and come to admitted students day Feb 21st. One last word of advice that is obvious, yet important: enjoy your last few months before medical school.

has anyone from out-of-state received an interview?

"Unlike previous posts, I do not condone giving up." Come on now, are you serious?? You are being idealistic to say that EVERYONE will end up in med school. While its pretty realistic to take the affect of your actions on your friends and family. I seriously doubt that anyone applying to medical school is ONLY going to be made happy by medicine. I deleted my original post due to the number of people not reading the entire post/nor understanding my intentions. Once again I apologize.

"Unlike previous posts, I do not condone giving up." Come on now, are you serious?? You are being idealistic to say that EVERYONE will end up in med school. While its pretty realistic to take the affect of your actions on your friends and family. I seriously doubt that anyone applying to medical school is ONLY going to be made happy by medicine. I deleted my original post due to the number of people not reading the entire post/nor understanding my intentions. Once again I apologize.
My statement wasn't a personalize attack on your message, it was merely meant to encourage people on the waitlist or re-applying because I've been there before. I didn't say everyone will end up at OSU Med, but I think if you branch out to other schools and work hard, it will happen. Whether you will be happy in medicine or not is not for me to say, but yes there are other options in life. The main point is, if you think you want to be in medicine, then you will find away. Realism is good bbailey, but don't be such a downer.

Are any of you planning on coming to MedX on Friday?!

Are any of you planning on coming to MedX on Friday?!

Yes. I am coming. It will be exciting to see the school and meet some students & faculty, and learn more about the program.

Yes, I'm coming. I'm really excited. I'll be bringing my mom with me, as a matter of fact. Are these events well attended? Can't wait!

I'll be there....and I'm dragging my wife along.

I'd love to be there, can miss class friday... tests...

I have been to MedX before, but I don't plan on going this year. After going once, interviewing three times, and having a sister that has been through the program, I'm not sure there's much new information I can hear about the program ;)

I got my waitlist letter Monday. Better than a letter of reapplication, but still no fun.

I have been to MedX before, but I don't plan on going this year. After going once, interviewing three times, and having a sister that has been through the program, I'm not sure there's much new information I can hear about the program ;)

I got my waitlist letter Monday. Better than a letter of reapplication, but still no fun.

How many people show up to this open house?

I hear there are usually about 150-200 people that come here. I'm excited to see all of you! I think some of my peeps are going to be talking about the DO/MS program, incase you are interested.

I know it seems like I'm a big downer, but I think that is med school talking.. Typically I'm a pretty nice, easy going, fun loving guy.. :)

Ya I'm pretty sure we're looking at close to 200 for attendance tomorrow, I'll be in the library doing an anatomy info-mercial..

I'll also be in the library... but working! Stop the front desk and say "Hi!" if you see me in there between 9-10 and 12-3!

Med-X was awesome! Thanks to all the student ambassadors/faculty/staff for making it such a great experience!

I will second that motion...

Every time I visit campus and talk to all of the wonderful people at OSU-CHS I am reaffirmed in both my ambition to be a doc and attend OSU.

T

Med-Ex was great. All the students were super nice, and the curriculum and facilities are very good too. It makes me wanna be there even more now.

Hey Bailey, Are you one in the library displaying human brain?

Yup. The second years decided that since I was currently in the loveland that is neuroanatomy that I would thoroughly enjoy discussing the brain with you guys.. With that said I really enjoyed talking with everyone that attended and asked questions. I was a little dissapointed in only having 20 mins with each group, but it was still fun. It just seems like there are soo many things to talk and tell about, that it felt kind of rushed. Feel free to shoot me any msgs on here or facebook if you still have some unanswered questions or would like another opinion. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves, I believe the next event we have is the first accepted student day on the 21st of Feb.

I would like for anyone who is on the wait list this year to chime in and let me know your specs. I want to know how my numbers fair against you other Wait Listeres. I know there are currently 34 people on the wait list. I also know that 58 students have been offered acceptance letters. This leaves 30 spots for us 34 Wait Listers and anyone else to be interviewed. Also, does anyone know if an early interview means you are at the top of the Wait List, or is it all up in the air?

My numbers are:
GPA=3.88
MCAT=22

p.s. If I do not recieve acceptance, will the bridge program be something that I can be competitive in for this year? I want in at OSU...

Dunder Miflin,

I am also on the waitlist (my 3rd time). My GPA is 3.81, science GPA is 3.56, MCAT 21. OSU doesn't rank their waitlist. Everytime the admissions committee meets for the latest set of interviews, they also review everyone on the waitlist. They then cut the waitlist to the final waitlist in May. Good luck to you!

for those of us who are or have interviewed more than one time what did you do to improve your app for osu. for me I finished two more upper division courses, have more hours volunteering, and have shadowed several doctors since last year. I interview this week so I'm preping for interview this week.

Hi everyone,

I applied to OSU way back in July or August, and sent my secondary about a week after that. I didn't hear anything, but have been accepted elsewhere so I forgot about this fine school

And then out of nowhere, I get a call from someone claiming to be from the admissions of OSU. She left a message saying something to the effect of "Hey, we just wanted to let you know that we're doing interviews for a couple more months...just thought we'd let you know. If you have any questions call us at..."

So I wasn't offered an interview, but they called me to let me know it could be a possibility.

What the hell is that???? I have applied many times to med schools, but have never received a call like that. Has anyone had a similar experience? What in the world does this mean??

Thanks!

strange I would call admissions and see if it was actually someone in the office. sarah quinten "sp" is the person who would be calling I think.

strange I would call admissions and see if it was actually someone in the office. sarah quinten "sp" is the person who would be calling I think.

Thanks, I'll do that. I emailed them earlier today.

My voicemail said they were from OSU admissions...and it seems like an odd joke to play on someone. I'm not friends with anyone who would randomly call and pretend to be from a med school. That seems like a really dick thing to do, yes? When one makes a prank call, you ask them if their refrigerator is working or something along those lines. This is a little different!

I just got an email from them and they said I'm being 'considered for an interveiw'. So that seems silly they would contact me and say that.

Whatever...anyway, I hope you all have a great time at this fine school!

Holy crap, I feel so silly :oops:

So I listened to the voicemail more closely and it's from OU, not OSU!! Yikes. The woman who called kinda slured her words. And I didn't listen well enough. So I contacted the wrong people. Whops.

The strangeness of the email still stands, but...sorry for posting here and wasting space! :scared:

For those of you who want to know how the story ends: I called OU and they said they did in fact call me, and that they call people sometimes to let them know they still have a chance...she said they realize people who were complete in July make early decisions, but she said not to forget about OU. Strange.

Have a great time at OU, OSU, or whereever you pick! :laugh:

Last edited:
interesting that they would contact you to let you know you aren't out "almost seems like a waitlist without an interview". I wonder if that is just for instate students or if they do it for everyone?

has anyone from out of state heard back yet?

Thanks Chio. Good luck to you as well.

I would like for anyone who is on the wait list this year to chime in and let me know your specs. I want to know how my numbers fair against you other Wait Listeres. I know there are currently 34 people on the wait list. I also know that 58 students have been offered acceptance letters. This leaves 30 spots for us 34 Wait Listers and anyone else to be interviewed. Also, does anyone know if an early interview means you are at the top of the Wait List, or is it all up in the air?

My numbers are:
GPA=3.88
MCAT=22

p.s. If I do not recieve acceptance, will the bridge program be something that I can be competitive in for this year? I want in at OSU...

If you want to do the bridge program, you should contact OSU admissions asap, because its a different interview and its very competitive as well. Good luck.
Also, admitted students day on Feb. 21st for those who are accepted and interested. Chance to meet future classmates and other OSU students. I think you have to RSVP sometime soon via email.
Good luck to waitlisters, hang in there. Sounds like multiple spots left.

Status
Not open for further replies.