OT: Moar Phast, Moar Phurious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm starting to think about 'backup plans'... since I'm like 90% done with my prereqs (will be 100% after summer term) and I need something to keep me busy until I get in or don't get accepted, and due to my existing undergrad degree I've already got most of the MBA prereqs. If I get in, I'd already be at least halfway done with it.

Even though I'm not exactly planning to go independent or get into management. :confused:

An MBA will give you an advantage on knowing how businesses work and you could probably work better with managers knowing what they deal with on a daily basis. As a pharmacist, you might make better financial suggestions to them by "speaking their language" and not have to explain to them what you mean.

Members don't see this ad.

An MBA will give you an advantage on knowing how businesses work and you could probably work better with managers knowing what they deal with on a daily basis. As a pharmacist, you might make better financial suggestions to them by "speaking their language" and not have to explain to them what you mean.

Not quite Bob, getting a PharmD and an MBA opens up the door towards administration management in chains or hospital pharmacies pretty quickly. Regional pharmacy directors and heads of pharmacy departments in major hospitals typically have MBAs.

It's a bit more than 'speaking their language'. You can actually become them quite easily.

Not quite Bob, getting a PharmD and an MBA opens up the door towards administration management in chains or hospital pharmacies pretty quickly. Regional pharmacy directors and heads of pharmacy departments in major hospitals typically have MBAs.

It's a bit more than 'speaking their language'. You can actually become them quite easily.

Well, it all depends on what you do with your MBA.

And I said "you might do this" and not "you will do this" :laugh:

But seriously, I might consider doing an MBA, but I'd have to find different ways, because I don't have a BA/BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll keep reapplying until I get in. My GPA for this school year will be about a 3.74 from my calculations, so that'll certainly help. It'll just take longer.

3.74 GPA? Are you kidding me? That is about what I have and I thought I had a pretty damn good GPA. lol

3.74 GPA? Are you kidding me? That is about what I have and I thought I had a pretty damn good GPA. lol

Depends on what courses you have taken, how long you have been in school, and how you compare to the other applicants.

But a 3.74 is a pretty good GPA.

Congrats to both of you, does that mean you'll go to U of A?

And that now makes literally everyone I know that has gotten an acceptance letter but me lol

Thank God for booze!

Ohhhh I hope you get in! They knew your GPA before they gave you 5 interviews so they must see something in you :) You have so much experience I'm sure they take that into consideration.

Dunno, I'm not very eager to move out of state unless I'm working in NYC or Boston/Cambridge...

I'll decide based on what Joel (admissions director at UCSF) tells me I'm lacking ... if I get rejected. For me its UCSF or bust.

It sounds like you have a great shot this year, but I totally wouldn't blame you for sticking it out another year for your top choice.

Depends on what courses you have taken, how long you have been in school, and how you compare to the other applicants.

Finishing up the 4th year right now before giving pharmacy school a shot ... LIKE IT SHOULD BE :rolleyes:

But seriously, I do hope the schools I applied to look at additional classes on top of the pre-pharmacy classes. I was under the impression that they wouldn't but who knows.

Ughh... Test in 16 hours and I still don't have the material down. Getting accepted would make life so much easier :)

But that's combined with his "sub par" GPA before.... Still very high though and I think phat has shown great progress! :) Commendable progress for suuure:p

3.8 in the house here ;)

But that's combined with his "sub par" GPA before.... Still very high though and I think phat has shown great progress! :) Commendable progress for suuure:p

3.8 in the house here ;)

After only one semester :laugh:

But good job for being a smart girl :)

After only one semester :laugh:

But good job for being a smart girl :)
TWO!

correct yourself!

and after this semester 3! 40 credits later and I'll hopefully have a 3.9 or stay on point with my 3.8 again....

Yeah. That baby is just down hill from there. Lol my first semester's GPA made me seem like a genius until the higher tier chems and bios kicked in

Wait. that's wrong. I mean uphill from there.

Absence of sleep making my brain all fuzzy-like

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. That baby is just down hill from there. Lol my first semester's GPA made me seem like a genius until the higher tier chems and bios kicked in
Heck ya!!!! Physics is going to pwn me.... I already know it. I've never liked it, never took it in high school because it was boring to me and it still is.... so there goes 2 4 credit classes probably get a C or B in em.... Orgo will stick it to me too.... I'm soaking in the all the easy humanities and sb sciences and microbio and a&p now.......
Wait. that's wrong. I mean uphill from there.

Absence of sleep making my brain all fuzzy-like
nahh your first post, my gpa is going to suffer soon enough.

Oh tell me about it! LOL I had an awesome GPA my first few semesters, but my GPA went down my junior year because of various outside factors that aren't important, BUT most pharmacy schools look at everything. If you have your degree (or will) they see that, they see you can handle upper level classes, and some schools recalculate your GPA for your pre-requisites only, which is good if you took them early on and did really well. :)

Heck ya!!!! Physics is going to pwn me.... I already know it. I've never liked it, never took it in high school because it was boring to me and it still is.... so there goes 2 4 credit classes probably get a C or B in em.... Orgo will stick it to me too.... I'm soaking in the all the easy humanities and sb sciences and microbio and a&p now.......

nahh your first post, my gpa is going to suffer soon enough.

Physics! ew :ninja:

LOL

Okay... it's not hard at all... it's just math basically... but word problems. BUT it will put you to sleep and it's really hard to get into (as far as sitting down and studying, etc)... so you have to basically trick yourself into thinking positive about it... lying to yourself and telling yourself physics is awesome and fun and you're going to love studying for the next 3 hours. (Okay I sound crazy, but that's the only way I can deal with that boring snoozer) :laugh:

It is honestly the only class ever I really couldn't force myself to get into and enjoy... I even enjoyed Calculus II more than physics. LOL

Organic Chemistry is not hard... especially the first semester, so don't let the rumors scare you.

>>> Oh but the thing about Orgo... you have to stay on top of it just like physics as far as studying and doing the "problems" and examples in the book/study manuel. As pre-pharms however, we should actually enjoy orgo... but I think you will. I LOVED it so it was no problem sitting down and studying, etc.

lol, shoulda clarified, I meant 3.74 GPA for the year, not as a whole.

And Bob, if you're looking at that, make sure you really want to do it. Business is a different beast from the sciences and the real business world can be immensely frustrating at times.

Plus, you don't get to graduate with your stating class which kinda blows imo

lol, shoulda clarified, I meant 3.74 GPA for the year, not as a whole.

And Bob, if you're looking at that, make sure you really want to do it. Business is a different beast from the sciences and the real business world can be immensely frustrating at times.

Plus, you don't get to graduate with your stating class which kinda blows imo

Totally agree... that's why I'm doing my MBA first. Plus you're so right it is very different from what we're used to with science/pharmacy... OMG is it different. I love what it is teaching me, but I sure do miss science/pharmacy geared classes.

1) I have no BS/BA
2) The only econ/business class I've had is Microecon
3) I've had Calc I and II, but I haven't had Stats.

Physics! ew :ninja:

LOL

Okay... it's not hard at all... it's just math basically... but word problems. BUT it will put you to sleep and it's really hard to get into (as far as sitting down and studying, etc)... so you have to basically trick yourself into thinking positive about it... lying to yourself and telling yourself physics is awesome and fun and you're going to love studying for the next 3 hours. (Okay I sound crazy, but that's the only way I can deal with that boring snoozer) :laugh:

It is honestly the only class ever I really couldn't force myself to get into and enjoy... I even enjoyed Calculus II more than physics. LOL

Organic Chemistry is not hard... especially the first semester, so don't let the rumors scare you.

>>> Oh but the thing about Orgo... you have to stay on top of it just like physics as far as studying and doing the "problems" and examples in the book/study manuel. As pre-pharms however, we should actually enjoy orgo... but I think you will. I LOVED it so it was no problem sitting down and studying, etc.
Oh no.................................................... so physics is as bad as I thought....... thank god it's one of my last pre-reqs I'm taking along w/ orgo hehehe

So I'll enjoy orgo and I won't commit suicide with those two classes? I'm taking them alone together since I don't want to kill myself with anything else on top of em. (Dumb move b/c it's only 8 credits, but I'm planning on taking them when I'll be expected to interview w/ schools in the Spring of 2012).

Totally agree... that's why I'm doing my MBA first. Plus you're so right it is very different from what we're used to with science/pharmacy... OMG is it different. I love what it is teaching me, but I sure do miss science/pharmacy geared classes.
Are you finishing up your MBA now? Before you start school will you be done with it?

1) I have no BS/BA
Do any MBA programs accept a student w/out a bachelors? Are you going to complete your PharmD to trump the bachelors requirement (since it is technically a much higher degree than any BS/BA)

1) I have no BS/BA

I've had for my BS:

Full year of Accounting (Managerial and Financial)
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Business Law and Ethics I
Business Computer Application
Business Statistics
Principals of Marketing
Principals of Management
Principals of Finance (Full year)
Strategic Management
International Management

The management courses, by far, were the most difficult for me because it is a completely different type of thinking than you do in the sciences. I would rather take O Chem, Biochem and Genetics all at the same time before I had to take Strategic again. I did not enjoy learning the various ISO systems and what not.

That was pretty much the requirements for my BS. A MBA, obviously, goes into much deeper details depending on which one of the 12 MBA focuses you choose. Econ is a very very small part of it and microecon is the easiest class I've taken out of the bunch.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but make sure you really want to go that route. From what the dept head has told me, most people with science backgrounds do not do well in business courses because they cannot let go of the differences between the disciplines.

If anything, take a business class or two over the summer to see if you really are interested in it because once you start the program its too late to go back.

Actually you'll probably have to take a good chunk of what I took anyways I would think. Although I'm honestly not sure what they do if you have no background in it.

Do any MBA programs accept a student w/out a bachelors? Are you going to complete your PharmD to trump the bachelors requirement (since it is technically a much higher degree than any BS/BA)

A know two of the programs I was looking at make you take the majority of pre-reqs. That includes using up your electives during your first three years and taking courses over the summer.

But, that is just at the two schools I talked to and they have very prominent business schools so that may vary.

It looks like I would have to take undergrad-level courses for the MBA if I choose to get the MBA, since the MBA is done through a separate school.

What are you talking about :confused:

I thought physics was fun lol. I guess also depends on the teacher you have

A know two of the programs I was looking at make you take the majority of pre-reqs. That includes using up your electives during your first three years and taking courses over the summer.

But, that is just at the two schools I talked to and they have very prominent business schools so that may vary.
University of Phoenix West
and
University of Phoenix East

or University of Phoenix ONLINE and Campus?
:rofl::laugh::laugh::rofl::D

Oh no.................................................... so physics is as bad as I thought....... thank god it's one of my last pre-reqs I'm taking along w/ orgo hehehe

So I'll enjoy orgo and I won't commit suicide with those two classes? I'm taking them alone together since I don't want to kill myself with anything else on top of em. (Dumb move b/c it's only 8 credits, but I'm planning on taking them when I'll be expected to interview w/ schools in the Spring of 2012).

Are you finishing up your MBA now? Before you start school will you be done with it?

No it's not that bad, but you said you avoided it in high school because it was boring (and that is kind of how I feel about it) so I figured you might be similar to me. I actually took physics in high school and thought it was decent and got an A in it, but after taking biology and chemistry in undergrad it was just a bit of a let down because it wasn't as exciting to me as other courses.

Physics and Orgo are do-able especially if they're your only classes. You'll be okay. If you don't mind math and word problems you'll be fine.

Not sure if I will be done with the MBA, but I can always finish it after I graduate pharmacy school. I am NOT doing them at the same time. I want to take geriatrics as an elective and possibly veterinary pharmacy (they said you can take it online at UF and it transfers to Mercer), and actually join 1-2 student organizations hard core, work as an intern 1-2 days a week, and possibly keep practicing at this certain gym in Atlanta that I really like. Nova has the MBA program for working professionals so I can work as a pharmacist while finishing what I started. I can even finish online with that program and live anywhere I get a job.

I've had for my BS:

Full year of Accounting (Managerial and Financial)
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Business Law and Ethics I
Business Computer Application
Business Statistics
Principals of Marketing
Principals of Management
Principals of Finance (Full year)
Strategic Management
International Management

The management courses, by far, were the most difficult for me because it is a completely different type of thinking than you do in the sciences. I would rather take O Chem, Biochem and Genetics all at the same time before I had to take Strategic again. I did not enjoy learning the various ISO systems and what not.

That was pretty much the requirements for my BS. A MBA, obviously, goes into much deeper details depending on which one of the 12 MBA focuses you choose. Econ is a very very small part of it and microecon is the easiest class I've taken out of the bunch.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but make sure you really want to go that route. From what the dept head has told me, most people with science backgrounds do not do well in business courses because they cannot let go of the differences between the disciplines.

If anything, take a business class or two over the summer to see if you really are interested in it because once you start the program its too late to go back.

Actually you'll probably have to take a good chunk of what I took anyways I would think. Although I'm honestly not sure what they do if you have no background in it.

Yep.

What are you talking about :confused:

I thought physics was fun lol. I guess also depends on the teacher you have

Yeah I can see how it could be fun... like little puzzles trying to figure out the solution.... but I just prefer to hate on it. LOL

Look at this!

funny-pictures-tiger-fetches-a-large-trunk.jpg

Physics blows.

Yeah... I always wanted to go into health care since I was really young, but there was a point in time before I took high school physics and duel enrollment trigonometry that I was considering applying to Georgia Tech for engineering. My dad was a Georgia resident for a long time when I would've been applying so I'm not sure how that would've worked. Regardless... I'm glad physics did not impress me much because I ended up at UM/pre-health and I loved it.

I still wonder what it would've been like at a 70 percent male school though. LOL I could've done pre-pharmacy there and still applied to Mercer which is right up the highway!

I try to make physics more hot-blooded and manly by telling myself that these are the laws of the physical universe - that if you understand these laws (and can find ways to implement them) that you can accomplish anything - I mean literally, ANYTHING.

Sometimes it works.

I try to make physics more hot-blooded and manly by telling myself that these are the laws of the physical universe - that if you understand these laws (and can find ways to implement them) that you can accomplish anything - I mean literally, ANYTHING.

Sometimes it works.

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only person who tells myself these things to get through it! Whatever works right? I'm assuming we need some physics to understand certain pharmacy/drug related classes so that is another reason why I just try my hardest to 'like' it.

And here I was telling myself the physics we learn is useless since none of it applies to real-world situations :)

Our physics class is killing us. We had 2 people get between a 10-11 on our first test. The guy used to be incredibly smart, but he seems to always be lost after having a lung transplant. Wherever his mind goes, we just kind of braces ourselves for the journey and go with it.

Haha, class average for our first exam was ~45 - 50.

All I'll say is I managed to beat that at least. :ninja:

Anyway, I'd want such a cat as I could play fetch with a huge ass log. But since I don't have that kind of money (or that kind of courage)... I'd settle for one of these guys:

cats-in-the-news_toyger.jpg

Anyway, I'd want such a cat as I could play fetch with a huge ass log. But since I don't have that kind of money (or that kind of courage)... I'd settle for one of these guys:

Wow.......... He or she just looks like Tiger lol

I love physics personally. But I'm fascinated by space and all that jazz. I wanted to take quantum physics, but I wouldn't have had time to do the math requirements.

That's just the greatest bread of domesticated feline in the entire universe my friend. I rescued two of them from my boyfriend's former boss who locked them away in his garage :eek: They're like my best friends... corny I know. LOL

cats4.jpg

Last edited:
I took physics in high school and hated it, took in college back home and also hated, took it here and enjoyed it (at least first semester physics).I had an awesome teacher my first semester, and he made it enjoyable. And for the first time I finally understood projectile motion! Previously I had just been memorizing formulas. There were about 10 of us in the class when it started, and 7 by the time we were done. My thoughts...If you have a good teacher, you will enjoy physics (or at the very least, not hate it as much). Also I enjoyed first semester physics, because it was mostly applied mathematics. Electricity and optics...now those are the physics topics I hate.

And speaking of MBA's, if I had gone to pharmacy school, I would probably have got mine. I already have a degree in accounting, so the business concepts would not be totally foreign. The business class I hated the most was Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting. Even writing about it brings up bad memories!

So a consesus of the Off Topic population reveals in fact, physics does blow, suck, (insert other adjectives).... Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that :p

Yeah... I always wanted to go into health care since I was really young, but there was a point in time before I took high school physics and duel enrollment trigonometry that I was considering applying to Georgia Tech for engineering. My dad was a Georgia resident for a long time when I would've been applying so I'm not sure how that would've worked. Regardless... I'm glad physics did not impress me much because I ended up at UM/pre-health and I loved it.

I still wonder what it would've been like at a 70 percent male school though. LOL I could've done pre-pharmacy there and still applied to Mercer which is right up the highway!
It's amazing how things work out. One experience really grabs your attention then you shift your whole goals and stuff... I totally feel you. I bet going to school with 70% male pop. wouldn't be too bad though... just think how many guys you could choose from :p Oooh lala.

When I first started school I had my eyes set on being either an NP or PA because I knew I wanted to do something in the medical field that had some weight, but not spend 10,12,14 years going to school for it.... Then after shadowing I knew that pharmacy was just meant for me.

That's just the greatest bread of domesticated feline in the entire universe my friend. I rescued two of them from my boyfriend's former boss who locked them away in his garage :eek: They're like my best friends... corny I know. LOL

cats4.jpg
Awwww kiiiiitties

I wonder if getting an MPH would be reasonable/profitable. There are quite a few online programs available and I understand some of them can be done in a year.

A lot of health professionals do this. My friend got hers before entering dental school and so did her fiance... but I suppose it depends on whether you know what you want to do with it, or you are just getting it because everyone else is. One reason why I chose to get my MBA at Nova is because it's flexible as far as time constraints, on campus v. online, working professionals, etc. I didn't want it to interfere in any way with my PharmD, and I know some of their own graduates chose to finish their MBA after pharmacy school rather than take the duel degree program together.

So a consensus [fixed your spelling] of the Off Topic population reveals in fact, physics does blow, suck, (insert other adjectives).... Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that :p

I guess I'm one of the few who didn't care about (as in like or dislike) physics. In the end it was just another easy class that I had to take before all the upper div. electrical engineering and chemical engineering classes :rolleyes:. I suppose it's all relative... the horrors I've seen and experienced :laugh:

I guess I'm one of the few who didn't care about (as in like or dislike) physics. In the end it was just another easy class that I had to take before all the upper div. electrical engineering and chemical engineering classes :rolleyes:. I suppose it's all relative... the horrors I've seen and experienced :laugh:

So you were an engineering major I'm guessing? Did you go to MIT?