OT: Moar Phast, Moar Phurious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bob, are you going to AMCP conference in San Diego ? Is anyone besides me going from SDN ?

Nope. No one at school even mentioned that AMCP existed or that it had a conference.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well maybe someone did like once or twice, but the students don't ever talk about it.

Really ? here everyone just talks about events they are going to volunteer at or conferences they are going to or health fair they are setting up. There is something going on literally every week, that's why we never study.

I'm going for the successful residency application seminar and to party in SD.

How did Bob of all people not notice the gorgeous girl up there?

Very nice pictures, baboshka.

Thanks, I was just excited for my dad. Been meaning to ask you, btw, how's the moving situation ? Any news on the law school decisions ?

Hope all is well :)

The girls I find attractive are a different type I guess.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We know you so well - You'll pick your married classmates over Miss World. :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We know you so well - You'll pick your married classmates over Miss World. :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:;)

At least I won't have to worry about not being in love with the girl :)

I actually like only one girl in my class right now.

Don't get me wrong, UofA has an amazing program. It is top-notch, has great faculty, the students are super nice, and the opportunities are endless. I would love the program. I just don't know if I would like living in Tucson. I am so ready for a change...the summers have become almost unbearable. The one thing that Minnesota does have that UofA doesn't is the optional research track (like an additional 25 credits). However, it seems like there are better rotation sites at UofA. Even if I get into the nitty gritty, in the end, the programs themselves come out equivalent (IMO). So, it comes down to location vs. cost.

Minnesota..... I've told you before and I'll say it again. Tucson stinks! We both know this..... Nothing worse than being in a dilapidated environment.... sure the facilities are nice, but you're going to have to be living in the environment for 4 years. AZ really is going down the drain. GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!

IMG_83862.jpg

I can't believe she was Miss World... she has a very plain look about her.... I think South American and Swedish women have to be the prettiest women alive.

Nice. My car doesn't go fast enough for me to absolutely need a radar detector :laugh:

Well that wasnt supposed to be the focal point of the photo. Lol. But yeah I don't actually drive that fast... Idk my dad just bought it one day I guess its good to have lol

Minnesota..... I've told you before and I'll say it again. Tucson stinks! We both know this..... Nothing worse than being in a dilapidated environment.... sure the facilities are nice, but you're going to have to be living in the environment for 4 years. AZ really is going down the drain. GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!

I can't believe she was Miss World... she has a very plain look about her.... I think South American and Swedish women have to be the prettiest women alive.
But she's so symmetrical!!! Lol. I think she's pretty.... She doesn't look all plastic surgery and anorexiced out like some of the passed winners anyway at least lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is offtopic, but my dad was so excited he sent me pictures I wanted to share. He went to a premier of this Russian new hit movie and aparently, Miss World 2008 was starring as a main herroine and he got to take pictures with her:

IMG_83862.jpg

That's actually one of the worst pictures I've seen of her lol but the young man next to her, on the other hand, is very handsome ;)

Oh for sure... I was thinking that could be a possibility but she's probably lacking major work like lipo or impants or stuff like that lol

Oh for sure... I was thinking that could be a possibility but she's probably lacking major work like lipo or impants or stuff like that lol
Ditto. Women in Russia don't need that kind of corrections. Daily subway struggles and absence of fast food do it for them, lol. Honestly.

That's actually one of the worst pictures I've seen of her lol but the young man next to her, on the other hand, is very handsome ;)

Hehe, I'll pass along the compliment onto my dad, it'll probably make his day. :)

The money that you have to borrow?

Yes. I think I am stuck with AZ. I visited the financial aid forum, looked at the online loan repayment calculators, research IBR, etc etc.... damnit, I don't want to graduate with almost 200K in debt which is what I would have from Minny.

Yes. I think I am stuck with AZ. I visited the financial aid forum, looked at the online loan repayment calculators, research IBR, etc etc.... damnit, I don't want to graduate with almost 200K in debt which is what I would have from Minny.

Most people will have that much debt, I remember reading an article that an average debt for a health professional student is now ~ 150 k +.

Think about what you want to do to - the optional research track will definitely give you an edge when applying for residecies or so I've been told. We have the same track here at UC and graduates always said how with the research track they've gotten offers from all their top notch residencies because everyone was incredibly impressed with how they got to finish a big chunky research project under their belt in addition to all the other stuff.

You may even publish, they have shown us some examples, where a couple people published in Nature and Science while pursuing that track.

I'm gonna have 200k MORE debt than I normally would if I go out of state. Of course the wife is not going for that, but if I get in there I think I will override her. That is just way too much money to save.

Do you get paid for being published in any of the various journals?

Good question, I honestly have no idea, they didn't mention during presentation.

I imagine the idea alone of applying for residencies while you published something in Nature with Pharm.D degree alone, is worthy and rewarding enough. :)

I'm taking out like 140,000 for Mercer so I don't have to work more than 10-15 hours a week. Plus I have some debt already... So yeah I'm going to be paying about 2000 a month when I graduate. Lol

Do you get paid for being published in any of the various journals?

I've co-authored in 4 different journals, and I never got paid. I don't believe our colleagues were paid either. We just get the pride and excitement of getting a paper published and like, 20 copies of the journal with our paper in it. Although I haven't published in something big like Nature or Science so I'm not sure how that works...

Oh man, this talk of debt makes me sooo sad. UCSF is my dream school, but it's kindof sad when UCSF's in state tuition is about the same as UMD's out of state tuition.... I think it'll cost me 100k+ more to go to UCSF. Sigh, decisions....

I'm taking out like 140,000 for Mercer so I don't have to work more than 10-15 hours a week. Plus I have some debt already... So yeah I'm going to be paying about 2000 a month when I graduate. Lol

I'm taking out probably half of that for school. I didn't realize that being an in-state resident at my school was soooo cheap compared to most schools.

I'm taking out probably half of that for school. I didn't realize that being an in-state resident at my school was soooo cheap compared to most schools.

Well I got my bachelor's from a private university, I'm in a master's program right now, and Mercer is private (same price for all residents), so that's why it's going to cost so much. I was accepted to UF for undergrad, but I couldn't see myself there. I don't regret going to the more expensive school though since I got a pretty decent scholarship.

Well I got my bachelor's from a private university, I'm in a master's program right now, and Mercer is private (same price for all residents), so that's why it's going to cost so much. I was accepted to UF for undergrad, but I couldn't see myself there. I don't regret going to the more expensive school though since I got a pretty decent scholarship.

Well look at you miss smarty pants :laugh:

Is there still a lot of loans to take out even with the scholarship?

I just checked my iTunes and it says I have downloaded 446 apps :laugh:

They were ALL FREE :laugh: :D

Thank you everyone for your input. I truly appreciate it! I have made my decision...

It will go fast! Good luck and don't look back! I just paid a deposit on a school that really was not my first choice but it is almost half the cost. All that debt is scary.

Well look at you miss smarty pants :laugh:

Is there still a lot of loans to take out even with the scholarship?

It wasn't an Ivy League or anything geez. LOL

I didn't need loans for tuition because I had a 3/4 merit scholarship, a full Florida Bright Futures scholarship (covers 4 years of the average state tuition), and private scholarships from my hometown rotary clubs, memorial scholarships, etc.

I just needed the loans for living expenses because the dorms + meal plan and apartments were expensive in Miami.

By the way Happy Easter guys. Did you have to eat ham today Phattie? I did :(

I didn't have to eat ham. I don't think I had any ham at home.

What's the significance of ham?

Pig meat is kinda yucky. lol

I had Easter dinner with baked macaroni and cheese, corn casserole, squash casserole, pineapple casserole, butter rolls, and HAMMM. :scared:

Ugh, I have pretty much committed diet suicide with chocolate, turkey, stuffing, and dinner rolls. I am now sitting with relatives and distracting myself with the internet when I probably should start reading my venous thromboembolism lecture for next week.....but I don't wanna! lol

I just got back from an hour at the gym, having a detox day. :) Trying to look good for AMCP conference.

I just got back from an hour at the gym, having a detox day. :) Trying to look good for AMCP conference.

I just got done working out. I don't have time to head to the gym, so the wife's letting me make a little one in the bedroom. Don't wanna be the heftiest kid on the first day of class. :( :laugh::laugh:

I am sitting on the couch staring at my fishtank and hoping that by this time next year I will be happy with my decision.

Lea, you're a smart girl. The good news is that you can probably be happy at either of your choices. Once you get into the grind of pharmacy school, maybe the summer heat (if you chose Arizona) or the crazy tuition (if you chose Minnesota) won't weigh as heavy on your mind. You strike me as someone who could do well at any school.

This is what the fish are thinking right now, btw. ;)

How do I get my foot in the door in pharmaceutical research? I've seen so much of retail and I want to get exposure to other areas of pharmacy now.

I just got done working out. I don't have time to head to the gym, so the wife's letting me make a little one in the bedroom. Don't wanna be the heftiest kid on the first day of class. :( :laugh::laugh:

I don't think you will be.

Oh btw, MRM next year might be in LR, so I might see you if you go. I'm still not sure if I'll go because my schedule will be sooo busy.