Pacific University Oregon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all of you that got accepted!! I too am on committee hold. Boo :(

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email and they put me on committee hold...do you think that I have chance to get accepted?

Sure. Committee hold means they like you, but they want to see who else is out there in the next rounds of interviews. Once they're all over, they'll go through the committee hold list and decide who they'll offer any open spots to, who is getting wait listed, and who isn't going to be offered a spot on the wait list.

I know for my class people were accepted off of the second tier of the wait list, but I'm not sure about the third. I'm pretty sure this year's P1s and the current P3s had people pulled from the third tier. Take home message: even if you get wait listed you still have a chance.

So, you mean after Jan 12th interview there are two groups: accepted and commitee hold students. and after the next interview they will decide to put people on wait-list or accept them?

Sure. Committee hold means they like you, but they want to see who else is out there in the next rounds of interviews. Once they're all over, they'll go through the committee hold list and decide who they'll offer any open spots to, who is getting wait listed, and who isn't going to be offered a spot on the wait list.

I know for my class people were accepted off of the second tier of the wait list, but I'm not sure about the third. I'm pretty sure this year's P1s and the current P3s had people pulled from the third tier. Take home message: even if you get wait listed you still have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, you mean after Jan 12th interview there are two groups: accepted and commitee hold students. and after the next interview they will decide to put people on wait-list or accept them?

Not after the next interview, but after all of the interviews are over with. I think the last one for this year is in March.

But yes, after each interview day they either accept people, or put people on committee hold. Once the last interview date is over, they go through the entire list again and decide from there who to accept, decline, or wait list. Make sense?

So, sit tight for a couple months. : ) You should know more by the end of March/early April.

Thanks! Fingers crossed!:)

Not after the next interview, but after all of the interviews are over with. I think the last one for this year is in March.

But yes, after each interview day they either accept people, or put people on committee hold. Once the last interview date is over, they go through the entire list again and decide from there who to accept, decline, or wait list. Make sense?

So, sit tight for a couple months. : ) You should know more by the end of March/early April.

Is there a Facebook page for the class of 2016 at pacific university? I know most schools have it. It would be nice to put faces to names & actually get to know the class. Also, for current students: any suggestions on apartments & finding good deals on them? Thank you for your help!

Is there a Facebook page for the class of 2016 at pacific university? I know most schools have it. It would be nice to put faces to names & actually get to know the class. Also, for current students: any suggestions on apartments & finding good deals on them? Thank you for your help!
They do have it. Just search it on Facebook. I haven't joined it yet.

For any current student at Pacific who is actually interested in doing residencies, do you know the statistics of students getting into one? The non-GPA is obviously a worry.

Please PM me or comment in this forum.

Thanks!

For any current student at Pacific who is actually interested in doing residencies, do you know the statistics of students getting into one? The non-GPA is obviously a worry.

Please PM me or comment in this forum.

Thanks!

At the interview day on 01/12 they said 20 out of the 2012 graduating class (about 100 students) were able to be placed in residencies, which is a huge number considering how competitive residency positions are. Additionally, they have a community pharmacy downstairs from the school and they are starting a residency program there. I wouldn't worry about the pass/no pass thing.

I was accepted!!! I interviewed on January 12th and got a call on the 23rd. I need some suggestions on good areas to live near school. I have a small family that I want in a good area with reasonable rent. I am from Utah so I do not know the area at all.

At the interview day on 01/12 they said 20 out of the 2012 graduating class (about 100 students) were able to be placed in residencies, which is a huge number considering how competitive residency positions are. Additionally, they have a community pharmacy downstairs from the school and they are starting a residency program there. I wouldn't worry about the pass/no pass thing.

Well first year residency programs are not really important since they don't have much ground to stand on, but I was also talking to Dr. Jordan about this as well. She said that the one specific program people were denied from is University of Colorado.

I am focusing on psychiatric pharmacy, so I'm hoping for good news!

Good luck to anyone who is going to the interview THIS SATURDAY! Just remember to you be yourself, and be honest! That's what matters! =]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Current students of Pacific :),

Are any of you working outside of your IPPEs/APPEs at a pharmacy as an intern? Or is there a lack of time to do this with the condensed program?

I just received an invitation for the March 9th and this is my biggest concern..that I would have a lack of material on my resume to compete for residency. Would love to hear your feedback on this.

There are quite a few students who have outside internships, especially during their P2 year. As long as you are good at managing your time, you shouldn't have any problems working for a few hours on the weekends. A few people even work on weekdays, but the majority of students don't work at all.
When internships are available, the dean usually sends out a mass email to all the students to let them know. If you take a paid position though, those hours do not count towards your licensure hours. Just FYI.

But long story short it is do-able to have a job :)

Hi dear,
can you please give me some guidance regarding interview and essay question? I am really nervous because I had interview in 16th February. Please help me.

The essay question is really simple and they just want to see how well you think on your feet (and if you have proper grammer and writing skills, of course).

You interview with a faculty member and one other person- they just want to get to know you and find out a little about your pharmacy or relevant work experience. It's okay to be a little nervous; you are interviewing for a doctorate program, but they aren't scary. Be calm and collected and know your resume well.

Anyone (current student or not) know what will happen after Dean Stein leaves? I really liked her after speaking with her in person and hearing her talk during the orientation. She seems very nice and passionate about the field. I'm not sure what will happen now with her gone. Does Pacific have any replacements lined up, or anyone have any ideas what may happen now with the overall program? I'm kind of worried given the current new changes already. :confused:

Hi guys,
I have my interview this coming 16th. Somebody please give me some idea how it is going to be. and also i'm coming from SLC UT. Is there anyone from here has interview that day?

Hi guys,
I have my interview this coming 16th. Somebody please give me some idea how it is going to be. and also i'm coming from SLC UT. Is there anyone from here has interview that day?

Ill be there on the 16th as well.. Im coming from California.. Im just a bit nervous about the essay part since I broke my writing hand this week lol

also, whats the dress code?? I was thinking a sport coat and jeans or something along those lines

Don't worry too much about the writing section. They only expect a short answer (like a paragraph or so) and not an essay. I do hope your hand heals up soon though!

Ill be there on the 16th as well.. Im coming from California.. Im just a bit nervous about the essay part since I broke my writing hand this week lol

Oh man! that sucks. I wonder how you will be able to write now... Good luck!
I was still looking to buy air ticket... damn its so expensive and hotel is even bad. Anyway seen you at the orientation.
Good luck again!

Oh man! that sucks. I wonder how you will be able to write now... Good luck!
I was still looking to buy air ticket... damn its so expensive and hotel is even bad. Anyway seen you at the orientation.
Good luck again!
where you coming in from?? I had the option of booking 2 nights and a round trip plane ticket from lax to portland for $380 but decided I rather take my friend and turn it in into a road trip.

where you coming in from?? I had the option of booking 2 nights and a round trip plane ticket from lax to portland for $380 but decided I rather take my friend and turn it in into a road trip.

I'm coming from Salt Lake City, UT. I thought of that too but its a long drive from here.

:confused::confused:Hey guys,
Has anyone who was interviewed on 02/02/2013 heard back from Pacific U yet? It will be two weeks tomorrow and I was just wondering if I should contact the school. Can't wait!:confused:

:confused::confused:Hey guys,
Has anyone who was interviewed on 02/02/2013 heard back from Pacific U yet? It will be two weeks tomorrow and I was just wondering if I should contact the school. Can't wait!:confused:
I interviewed on 2/2/13 as well and haven't heard anything back... I talked to a P1 on interview day who said it took less than a week for them to accept him after his interview day. That makes me really nervous! With that said, they DID say 2 weeks notice, so I guess it's fair for them to get back to us by tomorrow. Just seems like a long time. I'm hoping it doesn't mean something bad for me...

I interviewed on 2/2/13 and I just got a call from Kieran telling me that I was accepted! :D Good luck to everyone!

Anyone (current student or not) know what will happen after Dean Stein leaves? I really liked her after speaking with her in person and hearing her talk during the orientation. She seems very nice and passionate about the field. I'm not sure what will happen now with her gone. Does Pacific have any replacements lined up, or anyone have any ideas what may happen now with the overall program? I'm kind of worried given the current new changes already. :confused:

I asked a P2 about this on interview day. She said Dean Stein is not leaving/quitting. She was promoted to be basically the dean of all the health professional schools. Basically the dean of the deans. It was not as sketchy as some people have made it out to be. Or at least that's what the current student told me.

Interviewed on 1/12 , committee hold on 1/23 , accepted via email 2/15 , dont give up guys , there is still hope whether via phone call or email , I thought I had to wait until the end of all the interviews so they can place me on tiers

Interviewed on 1/12 , committee hold on 1/23 , accepted via email 2/15 , dont give up guys , there is still hope whether via phone call or email , I thought I had to wait until the end of all the interviews so they can place me on tiers

CONGRATS! I just got put on committee hold after my 2/2 interview. I thought my resume was pretty good, I don't know what to think of my interview...but hopefully I get accepted! :) :)

I know Kieran explained it in orientation, but I'm still a little confused with the previous posts. After interviews, are "people placed on committee hold or accepted" or are "people placed on committee hold, accepted, or rejected"??

I am deciding currently between Pacific U and Oregon State. I know both are different programs, but I am curious to hear from others about what they've heard about both schools. I believe both programs have pros and cons, but I am wondering about reputation and whether the 3-year program truly prepares you for actual clinical work. Any thoughts?

As for clinical work, I know OSU gets you into work right away (either in a hospital or retail) once you begin school and they are known for the great number of students who get accepted into residencies, especially since you go into OHSU your third year.

I got accepted!
Hey does anyone know if I drop couple classes with a W for the spring semester (but still have all prereqs done) would I get denied?

I got accepted!
Hey does anyone know if I drop couple classes with a W for the spring semester (but still have all prereqs done) would I get denied?

Congrats! I think you should ask Kieren about this. But in my opinion a W in your transcript may not look good unless you have a convincing reason should anyone ask about it. Do you have a pressing/difficult situation to drop it other than getting accepted into Pacific? Is there any benefit you will get by withdrawing?

If in the future you decide to do different program or something that may be of relevance to your PharmD, you may need to present your undergrad and grad transcripts. Let's say you want to do MBA or Law to get into pharmacy management or be a lawyer at pharmaceutical company or an independent consultant for pharmacies/hospital in those areas, you may have to show your transcript and you will have to explain to them why you have a W.

This is just hypothetical. But at the end of the day, make the decision on your best judgement.
Good luck!

CONGRATS to all who got accepted and stay strong to whoever is waiting to hear back. I got in last month =) . Has anyone made their decision to attend Pacific University, if so found any tips on housing? I was wondering if anyone is willing to share housing. let me know

-parm

I got accepted and I'm leaning toward going here. I know it is possible to pass the classes (obviously if people have been doing it), but I am still a little unsure about the whole 90%. If a current student is able to write what their average day looks like and the amount of studying and understanding that has occur I would appreciate it. Also, I was thinking on coming up to Oregon and try to sit in on a class. Is something like this allowed. Also if a current student is able to get into contact with me and try to help me understand the curriculum better that would be great.

I interviewed on 2/16 and forgot one of the name of my interviewers to write thank you notes to. Maybe someone had the same people as me and can help me out? I remember the guy was Jeremy A. Hughes but don't remember the name of the girl that was with him in the interview room.

It would be greatly appreciated.

I interviewed on 2/16 and forgot one of the name of my interviewers to write thank you notes to. Maybe someone had the same people as me and can help me out? I remember the guy was Jeremy A. Hughes but don't remember the name of the girl that was with him in the interview room.

It would be greatly appreciated.

You can email Kieran and ask her. just EMAIL her your name she will send you the name of interviewers.

Has anyone from 2/16 interview have heard anything yet?:confused:

Has anyone from 2/16 interview have heard anything yet?:confused:

Nope. Nothing yet. I've heard they are pretty quick though, and definitely are within their 2 week promise, based on the posts on here. I'm sure we'll hear this coming week for sure. I hope before March 1, cuz that's when the deposit for my back up school is due and I'd rather go here!

GOOD LUCK! =)

Nope. Nothing yet. I've heard they are pretty quick though, and definitely are within their 2 week promise, based on the posts on here. I'm sure we'll hear this coming week for sure. I hope before March 1, cuz that's when the deposit for my back up school is due and I'd rather go here!

GOOD LUCK! =)

Hope to hear something soon. Good luck to you as well