Pacific University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone coming from out of state that would consider sharing a hotel for the March 8 interview??
I am coming out of state, but staying with a friend... Are you taking a cab to the campus or does the hotel take you?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I received an interview invite. Bummer! I live about 10 minutes away from the campus. Going for a local OTA program, though. Good luck everyone!

I am coming out of state, but staying with a friend... Are you taking a cab to the campus or does the hotel take you?

I actually figured out a way to go straight from the airport to the campus using pubilic transit. So I'm not staying at a hotel anymore!

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually figured out a way to go straight from the airport to the campus using pubilic transit. So I'm not staying at a hotel anymore!
Are you getting off the plane that morning? Does anyone know how many candidates are now being interviewed? Any locals have suggestions for what I should do with 2 free days in Portland? Does the campus have a gym?

I submitted my application before Dec. 5 but I didn't have my letters of recommendation in for a few days after that, so I'm not sure if I'm considered priority applicant or not. I have a feeling the interview date doesn't matter either, it's probably just to break it all up to be less overwhelming with how many applicants they get. As for interviews at other schools, I have one at University of Mary in North Dakota in February. I haven't heard anything from any of the other schools. Fingers definitely crossed!
How did university of Mary interview go for you?

The public transit line from PDX to hillsboro is really good. easy.

What to do...
voodoo donut.
brewery (if you are old enough).
Powells books.
OMSI.
2 days is short. Or else I would say go to the coast because it is so beautiful. Also I am a goonies fan. The first thing I did when I moved here was go to the Goonies house.

PS. my friend already received a rejection. So, if people don't line up spots for interviews, I wonder if they have people on reserve or if they just lower the interview amount.

Are you getting off the plane that morning? Does anyone know how many candidates are now being interviewed? Any locals have suggestions for what I should do with 2 free days in Portland? Does the campus have a gym?

It is called the Health Professionals Campus. The actual University is in Forest Grove, so you won't have a lot of access to things at a satellite campus. As in, there is no gym there. Definitely go downtown because Portland is known for its bridges. The Nike World Headquarters is located just 20 minutes away from campus. It's a cool sight to see. Lots of local craft beer, and breweries, too! If you go near the train station in PDX, there are a number of food carts. Yummy eats! And perhaps if you're looking for breakfast, go to Mother's Bistro. It's my favorite and located right by the food carts too. Portland is known for its food finds, I recommend yelp! for finding something you might be interested in.

Hillsboro has a nickname by my friend, and he calls it "Hillsburrito" because of the Spanish-speaking population... and the load of really yummy Mexican restaurants in town. Amelia's Restaurant, for instance! Try it :) I've been meaning to go.

Shopping wise, there are the Streets of Tanasbourne which isn't too far from campus either. There's Washington Square with a number of shops too. Oregon has no sales tax, so you're in luck!

And if you want coffee before your interview, go to Insomnia Coffee. It's on the way to campus on Baseline. Local coffee company =)

It is called the Health Professionals Campus. The actual University is in Forest Grove, so you won't have a lot of access to things at a satellite campus. As in, there is no gym there. Definitely go downtown because Portland is known for its bridges. The Nike World Headquarters is located just 20 minutes away from campus. It's a cool sight to see. Lots of local craft beer, and breweries, too! If you go near the train station in PDX, there are a number of food carts. Yummy eats! And perhaps if you're looking for breakfast, go to Mother's Bistro. It's my favorite and located right by the food carts too. Portland is known for its food finds, I recommend yelp! for finding something you might be interested in.

Hillsboro has a nickname by my friend, and he calls it "Hillsburrito" because of the Spanish-speaking population... and the load of really yummy Mexican restaurants in town. Amelia's Restaurant, for instance! Try it :) I've been meaning to go.

Shopping wise, there are the Streets of Tanasbourne which isn't too far from campus either. There's Washington Square with a number of shops too. Oregon has no sales tax, so you're in luck!

And if you want coffee before your interview, go to Insomnia Coffee. It's on the way to campus on Baseline. Local coffee company =)
I love how you said "spanish speaking population". YES! Hillsboro is super lucky because of the Mexican food. I moved up from San Diego on the border of Mexico and I go out to Hillsboro for the eats. Big Ass Sandwiches is greasy and big, and so yummy. By Voodoo and "The Keep Portland Weird" sign is there. If you are hear at night the lights of the city are great. "Welcome to Portland" sign. Or the Arlene Schnitzer has the beautiful "Portland" sign. These are fun to see because they are the ones that you will see on post cards and the such...

While bragging about this fine city- ICE CREAM. We have awesome ice cream and local coffee. Don't go to Starbucks or Peets. Go local. Everything you do- GO LOCAL! ;)

I don't think I received an interview invite. Bummer! I live about 10 minutes away from the campus. Going for a local OTA program, though. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the advice on places to go! Sounds like fun! I hope they're still reviewing applications..I e-mailed Jon not too long ago to ask because I'm coming from HI and I have an interview in WA this weekend so it'll be easier and cheaper for me to fly from WA to OR then back to HI. I assume based on previous posts that they're still reviewing applications. Some people didn't find out till almost a week before the interview, so there still might be some hope. :)

Thanks for the advice on places to go! Sounds like fun! I hope they're still reviewing applications..I e-mailed Jon not too long ago to ask because I'm coming from HI and I have an interview in WA this weekend so it'll be easier and cheaper for me to fly from WA to OR then back to HI. I assume based on previous posts that they're still reviewing applications. Some people didn't find out till almost a week before the interview, so there still might be some hope. :)

Yep! I haven't received a rejection or an invite yet, so I mean there's still time if they send these out last minute. In essence, I've got until Saturday! Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! I haven't received a rejection or an invite yet, so I mean there's still time if they send these out last minute. In essence, I've got until Saturday! Haha.
Have you applied anywhere else?

Does anyone know if they are sending snail mail invites?

Have you applied anywhere else?

I applied to Eastern and UPS and received rejections from both already. My cumulative GPA is much lower (3.1, I didn't do well my sophomore year) than my last 60 and pre-req (~3.7). I've been working as a CNA for two years in the geriatric population, and have 100+ volunteer/observation hours in pediatrics, elementary school settings, and work-rehabilitation. I understand that OT is absolutely competitive, and I'm feeding off the idea that I can be an OT by following a different route.

PS. my friend already received a rejection. So, if people don't line up spots for interviews, I wonder if they have people on reserve or if they just lower the interview amount.
Was it via email??

Oh no :( sorry to hear you didn't get an interview at Eastern. I'm going there this weekend for my interview. But, my cumulative GPA is low too, its 3.01 on OTCAS and my last 60 is ~3.55 and my pre-reqs are about a 3.7 too. :unsure: I wonder how they select those to interview? This is my second year going to that interview so we'll see how it goes. I know they give priority to in-state applicants, esp. those who already go to EWU and they also give priority to their bridge program students. :arghh: So really I have about a 33% chance of getting in. :nailbiting:

I'm from Tacoma, so when I applied I was still living there and an instate resident. I knew of the OT program at EWU because I attended Gonzaga. The OT program is on Eastern's Spokane campus, and it neighbored my undergraduate university. At the moment, I'm in flux between Tacoma and Hillsboro.

7461, you'll be fine! Just make yourself shine at the interview =)

I just got an e-mail that I was selected for an interview!!!:banana:

Reactions: 1 users
Was it via email??
I am not sure. But the interview invite email is giving people till the 28th. So that is what I am wondering about. Do they have back up people, lined up once people decline the interview. Bc why wouldumy friend just be rejected and then some people havent heard yet. Right?

I am not sure. But the interview invite email is giving people till the 28th. So that is what I am wondering about. Do they have back up people, lined up once people decline the interview. Bc why wouldumy friend just be rejected and then some people havent heard yet. Right?

That makes things very interesting..... Now I'm ever so curious about the status of my application...

And congrats 7461!

lol well the 28th is one more day than I do to tell them I accept the invitation lol mines said to let him know by tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
That makes things very interesting..... Now I'm ever so curious about the status of my application...

And congrats 7461!
Thank you! :) You should e-mail him and ask him. I kind of needed to know so I can book my trip from WA to OR that's why and I needed to tell my boss how long I was taking off from work. I THINK they're still going through apps because he didn't respond to my e-mail yet, so I think they're really busy trying to get through them as fast as they can. It was weird because my email didn't say what day or time it is. Was your guys ones like that too? and what was that last part about meeting with a member from the committee if we want to? I didn't really understand the emailo_O Also, I don't think you should do OTA, if OT is what you REALLY want to do I would just for OT. Try applying to schools that's been accepting students with lower GPAs. E.g. Samuel Merritt, Touro, Howard..or apply to schools that only look at your last 60 credits. Is this your first time applying?

Thank you! :) You should e-mail him and ask him. I kind of needed to know so I can book my trip from WA to OR that's why and I needed to tell my boss how long I was taking off from work. I THINK they're still going through apps because he didn't respond to my e-mail yet, so I think they're really busy trying to get through them as fast as they can. It was weird because my email didn't say what day or time it is. Was your guys ones like that too? and what was that last part about meeting with a member from the committee if we want to? I didn't really understand the emailo_O Also, I don't think you should do OTA, if OT is what you REALLY want to do I would just for OT. Try applying to schools that's been accepting students with lower GPAs. E.g. Samuel Merritt, Touro, Howard..or apply to schools that only look at your last 60 credits. Is this your first time applying?

No. Mine was Date, Time. and came with an attachment. I agree. If you want to be an OT then wait a year. Don't do OTA. Personal opinion. I went back and forth myself. But OT is what will make me happy and even if I don't get in or I get waitlist then I will still wait a year.

Mine did say to let them know by 25th. I put 28th but I looked again it said 25th

Oh so yours said the date and time of the interview? hmm I guess we all got different e-mails? o_O

I guess I'm not doing an in-person interview. He says he will e-mail me later to set up a date for a phone/Skype interview o_O I wonder why I'm not going to get to do an in-person interview :(

At least you are interviewing. I still have no e-mail for an interview. My last contact was "The OT committee is still not finished with the review process as we had a record number of applications." Yesterday afternoon. I am not holding out too much hope and have decided to focus on the two interviews I have scheduled.

At least you are interviewing. I still have no e-mail for an interview. My last contact was "The OT committee is still not finished with the review process as we had a record number of applications." Yesterday afternoon. I am not holding out too much hope and have decided to focus on the two interviews I have scheduled.

Ya, that's true, but I wasn't even given an option so I thought this was weird..I kind of wanted to go there in person. What other two interviews do you have?

I know I'm way behind to chime in here, but for the "things to do," my favorite food place in Portland is the Waffle Window. Look it up. Both locations are adorable and freaking delicious (the savory waffles in particular). Good luck to everyone who is interviewing!

I emailed but Jon Erik says he doesn't remember what is/was the status of my application and that there have been a massive amount of stellar applications (hence the delay). He also said invites and denials should be steadily finishing up by the end of this week.

I only applied within the northwest because applying elsewhere would be costly and not exactly financially feasible. And this is my first time applying to Pacific, but my second time applying to OT schools at all. Last year, I seemed to apply in a rush when I just began my volunteering and CNA work.

I'm just a little limited because my fiancee works for Nike WHQ in Beaverton, and we live in Hillsboro. The OTA distance program is available to me in the Portland area as I have the pre requisites done for that.

I just got a rejection via snail mail from Pacific. It was kinda neat to get feedback on the letter though. It said, "We suggest you take the steps necessary to improve the following," and listed a number of things the application covered that faculty would place a penned checkmark next to. I had a checkmark next to "Strengthen your writing/communication skills." And one next to improving my GPA. I'm not really sure how to improve my GPA because I don't think it's realistic to retake courses that didn't pertain to my Psychology degree or to the pre-requisites. Or courses that just aren't available at the CC like they were at my university. Since my GPA was similar to those of you who did get an interview, I really think it came down to my essay. It's something I want to get started on now, so that by the end of this year, I can submit something stellar and stands out. Plus I'll take your advice, @7461, to apply to out of state schools that may be more of a fit. I'm not going to give up, and will use this third year of applying (overall) in the best way I can.

Last edited:
Those of you that emailed Jon-Erik in regard to your application/interview status, what did you say? I want to email him, but don’t really know what to ask him besides how is the admissions going along and am I getting an interview?

This thread both gives me hope and dashes my dreams all at the same time. I called Jon Erik yesterday, and he said that they are running so far behind due to the inclement weather earlier this month, that the professors are still pouring through applications. I could hear something as late as early next week, and Skype interviews are an option with such short notice. Also, the bad weather not only messed up the OT school schedule; it affected the Optometry and other programs he works with as well. They have been so busy that he hasn't heard any specific names come up like he may have in the past. He said that he receives 5 names each day and is told whether to e-mail or snail mail them. It didn't sound like a very consistent protocol, which could explain the varied e-mails y'all have received. Of course, I felt better after talking to him; but now that I'm reading about rejection letters, I'm not so sure. I have already been accepted into Nova Southeastern's OTD program and received interview invitations from South Alabama (MSOT) & Belmont (OTD); but Pacific is hands down my top choice. I am praying for the opportunity to prove myself in an interview. Best wishes to everyone in the remainder of this process!

I emailed but Jon Erik says he doesn't remember what is/was the status of my application and that there have been a massive amount of stellar applications (hence the delay). He also said invites and denials should be steadily finishing up by the end of this week.

I only applied within the northwest because applying elsewhere would be costly and not exactly financially feasible. And this is my first time applying to Pacific, but my second time applying to OT schools at all. Last year, I seemed to apply in a rush when I just began my volunteering and CNA work.

I'm just a little limited because my fiancee works for Nike WHQ in Beaverton, and we live in Hillsboro. The OTA distance program is available to me in the Portland area as I have the pre requisites done for that.
This is only my opinion- but I've heard that becoming an OTA is a great way to bridge to an OT.... Maybe you could ask specific schools how they view OTA.

Ya, that's true, but I wasn't even given an option so I thought this was weird..I kind of wanted to go there in person. What other two interviews do you have?
I have interviews scheduled at UNE and Belmont this month. I am really excited about both programs. Pacific is just the most convenient because all of my family is in Oregon between Portland and Salem.

This thread both gives me hope and dashes my dreams all at the same time. I called Jon Erik yesterday, and he said that they are running so far behind due to the inclement weather earlier this month, that the professors are still pouring through applications. I could hear something as late as early next week, and Skype interviews are an option with such short notice. Also, the bad weather not only messed up the OT school schedule; it affected the Optometry and other programs he works with as well. They have been so busy that he hasn't heard any specific names come up like he may have in the past. He said that he receives 5 names each day and is told whether to e-mail or snail mail them. It didn't sound like a very consistent protocol, which could explain the varied e-mails y'all have received. Of course, I felt better after talking to him; but now that I'm reading about rejection letters, I'm not so sure. I have already been accepted into Nova Southeastern's OTD program and received interview invitations from South Alabama (MSOT) & Belmont (OTD); but Pacific is hands down my top choice. I am praying for the opportunity to prove myself in an interview. Best wishes to everyone in the remainder of this process!
How was your interview with Belmont? I head out there for the interview day on March 28th. It is my top choice and I am very very nervous.

I have interviews scheduled at UNE and Belmont this month. I am really excited about both programs. Pacific is just the most convenient because all of my family is in Oregon between Portland and Salem.
I had declined my UNE because my family was here. But it would have been the 28th. Good luck for that. Awesome program.

As far as OTA goes, I have been told by several within the rehab world already(PT and OT) that OTAs are being "phased out" at several places and it is not worth spending time and money on an OTA program with hopes to become an MOT or OTD. That's at least the feedback from here in Oregon.

How did university of Mary interview go for you?

It went well! I was accepted into the program! I've been wait listed at PSU and have an interview at Eastern this Saturday though, so I'm going to wait until I hear from those two and Pacific. Pacific is my top choice, so fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone interviewing, it's very relaxed and laid back so try not to stress too much (easier said than done, I know!)

How was your interview with Belmont? I head out there for the interview day on March 28th. It is my top choice and I am very very nervous.

Haven't had it yet. Their second interview day is on 3/28 for everyone. I got the invitation back in December. I went there for undergrad. So, I am not as excited about it. After 11 years in Nashville, I am ready for a change of scenery. Let me know if you need restaurant or other suggestions.

Haven't had it yet. Their second interview day is on 3/28 for everyone. I got the invitation back in December. I went there for undergrad. So, I am not as excited about it. After 11 years in Nashville, I am ready for a change of scenery. Let me know if you need restaurant or other suggestions.
Those of you that emailed Jon-Erik in regard to your application/interview status, what did you say? I want to email him, but don’t really know what to ask him besides how is the admissions going along and am I getting an interview?

Did you hear a reply? I was curious to ask if Pacific will again have different tiers of waitlists. I emailed Jon-Erik about timeframes about interviews and acceptance/rejection so that if we are accepted to another program and have to respond, we may have an idea about when Pacific will decide. I don't expect to hear from them until next week, the admissions sounds swamped from applications.

Did you hear a reply? I was curious to ask if Pacific will again have different tiers of waitlists. I emailed Jon-Erik about timeframes about interviews and acceptance/rejection so that if we are accepted to another program and have to respond, we may have an idea about when Pacific will decide. I don't expect to hear from them until next week, the admissions sounds swamped from applications.

I was at the interview day on February 8th and Jon-Erik said they expect to have decisions the week of the 17th. I'm hoping it's sooner! He also said if you are accepted elsewhere and really need to know, you can call him and he can see what he can do to help you.

I was at the interview day on February 8th and Jon-Erik said they expect to have decisions the week of the 17th. I'm hoping it's sooner! He also said if you are accepted elsewhere and really need to know, you can call him and he can see what he can do to help you.

May I ask how people dressed. It seems to be my stressor right now. I heard all over the place... What is everyone else thinking about business casual to business professional?

May I ask how people dressed. It seems to be my stressor right now. I heard all over the place... What is everyone else thinking about business casual to business professional?

I was nervous about that as well. I wore a black, knee length business dress with a colored shawl. Most of the other applicants wore pant suits, with a few wearing skirt suits. Just make sure that whatever you wear you are comfortable in!

Officially got the "sorry but no thanks" letter. :( Hopefully Belmont and UNE have a different response.