Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude1344

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone use this and have any opinions? Dr. Sattar has been frequenting many schools recently and talking up his book. Does this add anything that can't be found in Goljan or FA?

Members don't see this ad.

That's basically how I was going about it, using Pathoma for a good digestible understanding before going over class lectures. However we cover a lot more topics than Pathoma has anything that Pathoma doesn't cover, I quickly go through robbins, since most of those topics are "self study" anyway.

Does anybody have an idea of suggested schedules for watching all his lectures in less than one month? What's the total lecturing hours?

I am weak in path and would like to go through pathoma in maybe three weeks or so. please share with me some workable schedules/plans.

I bought pathoma a week and a half ago to brush up on path because I was getting hammered with path pimp questions on rotations. I've finished the first four chapters and I like it, mainly for putting a lot of random facts I memorized the first two years into concepts and then explaining them in a simple fashion. His videos teach in a very similar fashion to Raymon and the Kaplan Pharm lectures I watched for Step I. Sattar integrates biochem and pharm into his explanations like Raymon integrated biochem and micro into his pharm lectures.

Halfway through now. I still think its amazing. I love how he puts up images to correlate with the descriptions i.e. lead pipe, string sign, starry sky, etc. Then he'll actually describe the images and circle or color in parts of them.

As for the criticisms, he is going a little faster now, but the white board is still a prominent part of his lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody have an idea of suggested schedules for watching all his lectures in less than one month? What's the total lecturing hours?

I am weak in path and would like to go through pathoma in maybe three weeks or so. please share with me some workable schedules/plans.

I believe its 35 hours of lecture at regular speed. I end up playing them at 1.7x but pause to take notes so I probably take just as long as regular speed would. I'm studying for Step 1 and had a pretty weak foundation in pathology, but Pathoma has been a great resource so far. Dr. Satter ends up telling the "story" of a lot of diseases instead of just reading his slides and his explanations into pathophys make the findings/symptoms and treatments make a lot more sense.

My only complaint to date is the really annoying Araloc software that the lectures are contained in. Obviously it's meant to prevent screen capture software from stealing the lectures, but it also disables your clipboard, which I find a major pain.

Doing Pathoma in three weeks is definitely possible. My advice would be to take First Aid and tackle one chapter per day. Read BRS Phys if there's a relevant chapter and annotate First Aid, then do the relevant Pathoma videos - for some topics there maybe multiple - and annotate the Pathoma book. I do skim the path section of First Aid, but find it much easier to annotate the Pathoma book because it already contains the bulk of the information and it has nice margins for annotation.

Last edited:
Btw I'm almost done, have 1 more section left.

I think all the lectures are good, but about 1/4 of them are done somewhat faster. I was checking the facebook page and got the impression that Pathoma blew up way faster than Sattar anticipated, and he had to haul ass to finish the videos. They are intermixed with the slower ones, he didn't record the chapters consecutively. I'm going to review 2-3 more times before the test.

Overall, an absolute steal for $100.

windows or mac? I have a 13 inch macbook pro and it's really laggy idk whats up. I just did a system update and downloaded the new flash as they suggested on their website

Members don't see this ad :)
windows or mac? I have a 13 inch macbook pro and it's really laggy idk whats up. I just did a system update and downloaded the new flash as they suggested on their website

yeah i had the same problem. After the new flash update didnt help, i did what the website suggested and sent in a support request. They switched the server that I was on and now I dont have any lagging. So i suggest u send in a support request too. hope this helps

I thought I was the only one with the lag issue, it would mid video, lag the slides while the audio kept going no matter if it was full screen or not. Guess I'll email support ><

I thought I was the only one with the lag issue, it would mid video, lag the slides while the audio kept going no matter if it was full screen or not. Guess I'll email support ><

Does Pathoma charge shipping in addition to the fee if I live in the states (California to be exact)? Thanks in advance :D

is there any way you can change the speed of the videos while you are watching them.

For example if i pick a lecture from the menu and select "normal speed" to start off with, but as the video is going on there might be parts of the lecture that I am comfortable with and want to move on faster from that topic while other parts in the same lecture I may want to go back to "normal speed"

why is it a all or nothing thing, either I start the lecture in normal speed or speed it up.

I wish it was more flexible that way. Or if they could just let us use VLC, i love the "faster/slower" option.

is there any way you can change the speed of the videos while you are watching them.

For example if i pick a lecture from the menu and select "normal speed" to start off with, but as the video is going on there might be parts of the lecture that I am comfortable with and want to move on faster from that topic while other parts in the same lecture I may want to go back to "normal speed"

why is it a all or nothing thing, either I start the lecture in normal speed or speed it up.

I wish it was more flexible that way. Or if they could just let us use VLC, i love the "faster/slower" option.

nope, its either normal speed or 1.7x.
the reason (I think) they are doing it this complicated is to prevent piracy.

Pathoma notes:

Got my first real chance to match up pathoma with Goljan this week. We alternate NBME's with in-house exams. So the NBME phases gives me more chance to focus on various board review materials.

I have to say that I do understand the appeal and utility of Goljan material. He's dynamic. Constantly relating different materials together. And clearly. Has dedicated his time to helping students get down the Pearls to do better on exams.

I think as a follow up discussion to Pathoma materials it's a perfect 1-2 punch.

However, I think that Dr. Sattar really nailed something. How to be a useful cliff notes to pathology lectures. Because his material is so stripped down, clean, quick, and easy to use. I'm able to use his material as my first and last pass at everything going on in lectures.

Yes it's not enough for some exhaustive phd-style approaches on in-house lecture exams. But luckily for me, my curriculum allows me the option of letting some of those points go. To keep it easier on me.

I keep hearing about the necessity of of widening the scope of our information intake. And honestly. I just don't understand that notion. I need 4 passes on the pathoma material alone just to make sure I've got it down. And i just can't find time for that other stuff.

So, I'm thinking if your goals are modest enough. This is almost everything you need to know about pathology.

But I'm curious what people that are using it think.?

Pathoma notes:

Got my first real chance to match up pathoma with Goljan this week. We alternate NBME's with in-house exams. So the NBME phases gives me more chance to focus on various board review materials.

I have to say that I do understand the appeal and utility of Goljan material. He's dynamic. Constantly relating different materials together. And clearly. Has dedicated his time to helping students get down the Pearls to do better on exams.

I think as a follow up discussion to Pathoma materials it's a perfect 1-2 punch.

However, I think that Dr. Sattar really nailed something. How to be a useful cliff notes to pathology lectures. Because his material is so stripped down, clean, quick, and easy to use. I'm able to use his material as my first and last pass at everything going on in lectures.

Yes it's not enough for some exhaustive phd-style approaches on in-house lecture exams. But luckily for me, my curriculum allows me the option of letting some of those points go. To keep it easier on me.

I keep hearing about the necessity of of widening the scope of our information intake. And honestly. I just don't understand that notion. I need 4 passes on the pathoma material alone just to make sure I've got it down. And i just can't find time for that other stuff.

So, I'm thinking if your goals are modest enough. This is almost everything you need to know about pathology.

But I'm curious what people that are using it think.?
I'd love to hear from some test takers about this. I feel bad not doing Goljan RR, but I'm currently doing FA, GT, Pathoma, and my class stuff and just can't fit anything else in. Unfortunately, my class stuff takes up a good amount of time for being so worthless. I hate required labs.

Can someone explain the limit on number of views?

The terms say "Each piece of Digital Content (i.e. each video) is further restricted to no more than eight (8) “views”, each “view” beginning as soon as you commence streaming of the Digital Content, irrespective of the length or time of streaming."

Does that mean each chapter is limited to 8 views or each subset within the chapter? Also, has anyone found the limit to be a problem?

Thanks!

Can someone explain the limit on number of views?

The terms say "Each piece of Digital Content (i.e. each video) is further restricted to no more than eight (8) “views”, each “view” beginning as soon as you commence streaming of the Digital Content, irrespective of the length or time of streaming."

Does that mean each chapter is limited to 8 views or each subset within the chapter? Also, has anyone found the limit to be a problem?

Thanks!
I emailed them previously and my understanding is 8 views averaged per subsection - ie a chapter with 5 sections you get 40 section views. However, if you watch it all the way through once it would count as 5 of the 40. They sound open to giving you more views but are attempting to prevent multiple people sharing an account, which I can respect - the product is a great deal compared to Kaplan and the like.

I emailed them previously and my understanding is 8 views averaged per subsection - ie a chapter with 5 sections you get 40 section views. However, if you watch it all the way through once it would count as 5 of the 40. They sound open to giving you more views but are attempting to prevent multiple people sharing an account, which I can respect - the product is a great deal compared to Kaplan and the like.

So there's a way to view just a section of a chapter and not the whole chapter? When I logged in, it just showed me the chapters and then said "watch" underneath it and I didn't want to click because I was afraid that I would waste 1 of my 8 views. Thanks in advance for your help :)

Did you get the issue fixed?

My videos I just started have a "stutter effect" where he goes osteoooooooo genesis immmmmmperfecta because the video is lagging. Super annoying.

I didn't have any lag issues about 6 weeks ago. Now I can't watch 2 minutes of video without it. Kinda frustrating

I'd love to hear from some test takers about this. I feel bad not doing Goljan RR, but I'm currently doing FA, GT, Pathoma, and my class stuff and just can't fit anything else in. Unfortunately, my class stuff takes up a good amount of time for being so worthless. I hate required labs.

I think you're right that we have only so much time. I'm doubling back. The time it would take to properly assimilate Goljan is not worth it for me.

As we move into specific organ systems. I'm sticking with Pathoma and knowing it cold. I'll supplement with Kaplan Uworld and a little GT. Even GT I'm starting to wonder about. But I'll try to keep it in play. I think it's because I don't like just straight facts. It feels weird to me studying that way and by the time I would be ready to just highlight memorization the course is moving on again. Pathoma is superb for making things simple and clear. Then I can fill it out with the details from this and that.

But hands down. The most powerful tool I have right now is Pathoma. I recommend it to anyone who asks me what book I have with me.

I give it 3 years and Pathoma will be head to head with Goljan and only because of tradition would it be close. Otherwise Pathoma would catch fire.

I already did DIT. do you recommend that I'll do this 2 weeks from my exam? it's cheap so no problem..

Last edited:
I already did DIT. do you recommend that I'll do this 2 weeks from my exam? it's cheap so no problem..

I would. But I'm 8 mo.'s behind you.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of scouting reports on this. Seems like a few people used in when it first came out before their test. My sense is that it is only now beginning to take off. And that some of the initial reports were out of the upper midwest, where Dr. Sattar teaches or may have spoken. And more reports should come back after my year of US grads take the exam.

Using it now. I did think to myself...this would be a great last run through of path at 1.7-speed in the weeks before my exam. Because everything is pared down in a precise way and yet doesn't feel rushed and maintains it's conceptual fluency.

But for your situation it's conjectural for me.

Good luck.

Been following this thread and decided to get it.

Lots of space in the margins, very good thing.. gonna annotate it with info from Goljan and the Sattar lecture vids..

The videos buff slowly, but that could just be my connection. Good vids though.

If you're having buffer issues, it could actually be them. I couldn't even play the videos with them stuttering and they moved me to a new server. Everything works great now.

Any updates on from those who used Pathoma and received their Step 1 results recently?

I have been using it for a few months now, and like it a lot. Especially when he draws out the stuff. But I am worried if I am missing out on stuff compared to those using RR.

RR is just so thick and intimidating, so I have been sticking with pathoma for now.

Any updates on from those who used Pathoma and received their Step 1 results recently?

I have been using it for a few months now, and like it a lot. Especially when he draws out the stuff. But I am worried if I am missing out on stuff compared to those using RR.

RR is just so thick and intimidating, so I have been sticking with pathoma for now.

few that used pathoma took the step on already and thay all said that he was good to go .. i've been using him for a while now , best way to tell is by using UWORLD along with his vids , you'll be able to see how good he is .. :thumbup:

how important are the lectures? could you just use the book without listening or does he add more info during the audio?
I feel like he adds a ton with the videos. He draws a lot of diagrams, uses some pneumonics, and adds to the slides. Watching at 1.7x speed, he's understandable and they're quick.

We're doing anemia/hemostatis/leukemia&lymphoma right now in school and Pathoma is the only thing saving my ass. It's so simple when you break it down. God my school sucks at teaching.

We're doing anemia/hemostatis/leukemia&lymphoma right now in school and Pathoma is the only thing saving my ass. It's so simple when you break it down. God my school sucks at teaching.

I really feel we must be at some kind of historical junction. A generational shift.

My teachers lament the lack of attendance. Wonder why kids are "ditching class?!"

Ditching class...? Like what?... me and the other T-birds are takin Greased Lightning down the reservoir--making out with the Pink Ladies and smoking cigarettes and other cool ****.

It's so pervasively confusing. That. While these tenured well kept pets of the university have been rambling out the same nonsensical slides for decades the ground has shifted beneath them.

The Khan academy decided to decimate the whole notion. And the palace guards with their elaborate court ceremony don't what th F@ck is up from down.

So that I can adroitly go about my business. Like an internet 2.0 empresario. In my pajamas. My day to myself. And keep up with these fools just fine despite them.

And they think I'm the slacker for not dutifully waiting to fetch what they throw?

Pathoma. Like the Khan Academy. Compromise a game change.

Now. Could somebody communicate this to our professors. So they could kindly retire. As we won't be needing them.

You would be doing yourself a great disserve if you opted out of watching his videos and just reading the book alone. His lectures are quick and to the point and with the variable play back speeds, most big topics only take 1-1.5hrs to get through.

As for going to lectures, I do agree to an extent but I would gladly go to every lecture if the professors were actually good at teaching and presenting the material. Often it's just reading the slides without any additional input so no point in really going.

My path class makes us just read Robbins with a few overview lectures sprinkled in.

The New 1.4x speed is great , the 1.7x was too fast for me .... i'm doing a 2nd run of pathoma at a chapter a day while i do other topics like biochem , neuro .... just to keep things fresh in my head before my last read of 1st aid before my exam .

You would be doing yourself a great disserve if you opted out of watching his videos and just reading the book alone. His lectures are quick and to the point and with the variable play back speeds, most big topics only take 1-1.5hrs to get through.

As for going to lectures, I do agree to an extent but I would gladly go to every lecture if the professors were actually good at teaching and presenting the material. Often it's just reading the slides without any additional input so no point in really going.

My path class makes us just read Robbins with a few overview lectures sprinkled in.
My heart goes out to you. I'm very proud of the fact that I've never even seen what the Robbins book looks like, let alone read it.

haha I did try to resist reading it at all costs to save me massive study time but to be fair, it's a very good book and does clear up a lot stuff that RR/class notes don't explain very well.

Robbins is great. I've gotten about halfway in (have 12 chapters left of 29 to go). Seriously, I love that book. I usually am not a great student, but because of dedicating time to read it I've been consistently above the average in path.

Problem with Robbins = time--it requires a lot of it. Pathoma is something I really can just jump into w/o prior knowledge of the specific subject and still catch on. Just got it a few days ago and don't even have the book yet, but the lectures are amazing. Wish I had gotten it sooner.