Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude1344

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone use this and have any opinions? Dr. Sattar has been frequenting many schools recently and talking up his book. Does this add anything that can't be found in Goljan or FA?

Members don't see this ad.

Robbins is great. I've gotten about halfway in (have 12 chapters left of 29 to go). Seriously, I love that book. I usually am not a great student, but because of dedicating time to read it I've been consistently above the average in path.

Problem with Robbins = time--it requires a lot of it. Pathoma is something I really can just jump into w/o prior knowledge of the specific subject and still catch on. Just got it a few days ago and don't even have the book yet, but the lectures are amazing. Wish I had gotten it sooner.

Are you reading Medium Robbins?

just got pathoma book and online access...anyone have any suggestions on how to get the most out of it...looks good so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is really useful as a first and last pass.
Agreed.

Dr. Sattar just saved my but on today's leukemia/lymphoma exam. Took our professors 7 lectures (so about 7 hrs) to cover what he did in 1 hour, maybe 10-15 pages. I watched that chapter all the way though about 4 times for this unit and man am I confident in this area now.

I wish I could just listen to him, Goljan, and do my GT all day :love:. Sigh...

Agreed.

Dr. Sattar just saved my but on today's leukemia/lymphoma exam. Took our professors 7 lectures (so about 7 hrs) to cover what he did in 1 hour, maybe 10-15 pages. I watched that chapter all the way though about 4 times for this unit and man am I confident in this area now.

I wish I could just listen to him, Goljan, and do my GT all day :love:. Sigh...

it took them 7 lectures for leuk lymphomas??? my god that is outrageous!

me too going to start pathoma from tomorrow.planning to watch all videos in three days.hope 3 days are enough.
my exam in jan end
any suggestions anybody

me too going to start pathoma from tomorrow.planning to watch all videos in three days.hope 3 days are enough.
my exam in jan end
any suggestions anybody

That is a minimum of 12 hours a day of just watching watching video. Major props if you can do that, I wouldn't make it. Honestly, I'd suggest doing it over 5-7 days and then mixing in another type of media (reading or flashcards) to keep from burning out and getting completely bored. You have plenty of time honestly. Just my thoughts though. Good luck

just got pathoma book and online access...anyone have any suggestions on how to get the most out of it...looks good so far.

I just started as well so I'm interested in hearing responses too. I am watching, drawing/taking notes in the book for my first pass. Then, I come back later in the day to review what I did. It is working pretty well. I'm really enjoying it. I'll add that I'm doing it concurrently with class. It fits pretty nicely for organ modules I think. Good luck!

That is a minimum of 12 hours a day of just watching watching video. Major props if you can do that, I wouldn't make it. Honestly, I'd suggest doing it over 5-7 days and then mixing in another type of media (reading or flashcards) to keep from burning out and getting completely bored. You have plenty of time honestly. Just my thoughts though. Good luck

i m going to watch it at 1.4 speed that makes it total 25 hours (8 hours everyday)

but thanks for advice i think i will make 4 days (if i need) which means 6 hours a day to prevent burn out.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just ordered Pathoma today upon everyone's suggestions on here (and relatively speaking, $100 isn't that risky of an investment on board review materials). I just got through the female reproductive system lectures-- they're AWESOME. Dr. Sattar really breaks it down for you instead of assuming that you know the explanation behind anything -- and those explanations are exactly what is lacking in most board review books. This is exactly what I was looking for but didn't think existed -- a solid, clear outline of the high yield pathologic diseases with thorough explanations of the underlying pathophysiology -- without getting bogged down by the minutia found in traditional textbooks or classroom lectures. The main goal of these lectures appears to be understanding things on a conceptual level-- the lectures do not discuss all the tons of memorizable factoids you may need to know, but gives you a solid foundation so that you can go back and fill in minutia on your own. I just hope the lectures on the other organ systems are nearly as solid :)

The code SUNY79 worked for you? I just tried and no luck.

Yeah, it worked for me. The discount showed up right away and already charged my CC.

I doubt I'm the only one that used it, it could be due to you trying a little too close to the deadline...

Yeah, it worked for me. The discount showed up right away and already charged my CC.

I doubt I'm the only one that used it, it could be due to you trying a little too close to the deadline...

That is probably the reason. :( Does anyone know another code or how to get another code ? Thx

Looks like they just rolled-out a 3-month subscription on their website for $84.95.
What a Joke :thumbdown:

So, let's see......12 months for $99.xx and 3 months for $84.xx ..........how very smart marketing.......NOT........:laugh:
I want you to go buy a Sam Adams in a restaurant and take note of the unit price. Now go to the grocery store and buy some more. Now go to Costco, buy the Sam Adams Holiday 24 pack, and look at the unit price. Hopefully that little wheel in your head clicks over. If not, you should be too drunk to work a keyboard for awhile.

NOW, if you'll excuse me, I'm heading over to Costco...for uh, highlighters :smuggrin:

I want you to go buy a Sam Adams in a restaurant and take note of the unit price. Now go to the grocery store and buy some more. Now go to Costco, buy the Sam Adams Holiday 24 pack, and look at the unit price. Hopefully that little wheel in your head clicks over. If not, you should be too drunk to work a keyboard for awhile.

NOW, if you'll excuse me, I'm heading over to Costco...for uh, highlighters :smuggrin:
Yeah......... but if you buy one pack of Sam Adams at the restaurant for $8.50 while a 4 pack of Sam Adams is available for $10.00 at the SAME restaurant.
If you still can't figure out the difference them you need to stop sniffing the highlighters and let the air out of your head.;)

How is not smart on their part?
a $15 difference ?? what is going to stop from someone to buy a 12 month subscription and share with 4 of their friends?
If 3 month subscription was around $50 then practically everyone will buy it for themselves.
You either follow the Apple model (sell at a really high price) or the Walmart model ( sell as many as possible)
and since Pathoma is trying to compete with the likes of Kaplan/Goljan then they should try to sell as many as possible now to get a foothold in the market and only raise the price once it is popular. That's called smart marketing.

Last edited:
Yeah......... but if you buy one pack of Sam Adams at the restaurant for $8.50 while a 4 pack of Sam Adams is available for $10.00 at the SAME restaurant.
If you still can't figure out the difference them you need to stop sniffing the highlighters and let the air out of your head.;)
What it means is that particular restaurant would rather sell 4 packs.

a $15 difference ?? what is going to stop from someone to buy a 12 month subscription and share with 4 of their friends?
If 3 month subscription was around $50 then practically everyone will buy it for themselves.
You either follow the Apple model (sell at a really high price) or the Walmart model ( sell as many as possible)
and since Pathoma is trying to compete with the likes of Kaplan/Goljan then they should try to sell as many as possible now to get a foothold in the market and only raise the price once it is popular. That's called smart marketing.

They monitor the IP address and limit the initial total amount of views per section to 8. If you want to watch it for the 9th time, you have to contact them and they check the login IP and if they point to one person using it, they renew the 8 views. I know this because I saw the 8 view limit in small print and contacted them about it.

I don't see how $100 in 12 months is NOT following the "Walmart" model. Kaplan is significantly more expensive. The Goljan book is nearly half the price of a one year subscription.

I should contact them now and ask for commission on subscription sales. I don't even work for them and I know for a fact this thread is linked to Pathomas front page.

Well with the codes that they keep emailing students to send their classmates, it's $80/year and still beats the alternatives out there. Kind of makes me wish I went to uchicago to have him as a professor.

Well with the codes that they keep emailing students to send their classmates, it's $80/year and still beats the alternatives out there. Kind of makes me wish I went to uchicago to have him as a professor.
you can still use this code. it works for everyone that tries it irrespective of where you go to school.

Does this code still work? I entered it when I tried to upgrade my account, but before I went to the page that requires credit card information, it still says it's $100. Thank you!!
I should think so, I got one yesterday and it worked.

Guys just one quick question: I am also trying pathoma right now and i just love the lectures, especially along with the book. Up until now I have covered every subject except pathology by reading review books, so this is my very first review lecture course. And I'm just wondering whether I missed something by not watching/reading the Kaplan lectures and notes. Did I really miss something? Or is it just pathoma that is so good? (although I have to say that i have a uworld % of about 78% now so the review books couldn't have been that bad)

Guys just one quick question: I am also trying pathoma right now and i just love the lectures, especially along with the book. Up until now I have covered every subject except pathology by reading review books, so this is my very first review lecture course. And I'm just wondering whether I missed something by not watching/reading the Kaplan lectures and notes. Did I really miss something? Or is it just pathoma that is so good? (although I have to say that i have a uworld % of about 78% now so the review books couldn't have been that bad)

What review books? If you don't mind me asking.

E.g. rapid review biochemistry, high yield anatomy, brs physiology, brs behav. science, hy neuroanatomy&embryology...

Nice, I was planning to use most of those...except HY neuro is pretty damn miserable...or maybe that's just neuro in general to me.

Thanks!

I reviewed my first system yesterday in pathoma and I found it extremely helpful and highly recommend it. However I do have a question for people that have used it and taken step 1 or about to. Do you find it sufficient alone for step 1? I have a feeling that it is kind of light compared to goljan. My intentions are to use it to make sense of disease processes covered in pathoma and review goljan afterwards to get the extra detail. But has anyone only used pathoma without using goljan or another source?

I reviewed my first system yesterday in pathoma and I found it extremely helpful and highly recommend it. However I do have a question for people that have used it and taken step 1 or about to. Do you find it sufficient alone for step 1? I have a feeling that it is kind of light compared to goljan. My intentions are to use it to make sense of disease processes covered in pathoma and review goljan afterwards to get the extra detail. But has anyone only used pathoma without using goljan or another source?
I've gotten through most of Goljan (~ 17 ch) and think that the reason it is so much more is because there's a lot of things that aren't really pure pathology in there (ie pharm, physio, clinical stuff such as murmurs and lung auscultation signs). Whereas pathoma seems to be more focused on just pathology, so its a much thinner volume.

Has anyone hit the 8 view limit? I'm considering springing for the 21 month subscription, but I want to make sure I can still view it closer to the time I'll actually be taking the USMLE, so if they're stingy about it, I'd wait. The FAQ makes it sound like no big deal, but the TOS sounds less forgiving.

I've gotten through most of Goljan (~ 17 ch) and think that the reason it is so much more is because there's a lot of things that aren't really pure pathology in there (ie pharm, physio, clinical stuff such as murmurs and lung auscultation signs). Whereas pathoma seems to be more focused on just pathology, so its a much thinner volume.

ah... there's the reason it's 400-some pages less. It's more high-yield :thumbup: