Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude1344

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone use this and have any opinions? Dr. Sattar has been frequenting many schools recently and talking up his book. Does this add anything that can't be found in Goljan or FA?

Members don't see this ad.

ah... there's the reason it's 400-some pages less. It's more high-yield :thumbup:
After my step, I'm going to see if I condense Pathoma down into one 30 min lecture for all of pathology. There will also be an option to listen to it on 3x speed so it's really only 10 min. That way you only have to watch it 3 or 4 times and then you can go out drinking for the rest of the dedicated step studying time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found a difference in FA and pathoma

pathoma has divided postrenal azotemia into 2 parts early and and long standing.the early is like prerenal when the tubular function is intact(fena<1% and urine osm>500)
but in long standing its given tubular damage ensues and serum BUN/Cr ratio <15 FeNa>2% urine osm<500

in First Aid postrenal serum BUN/Cr ratio>15 FeNA>4% urine osm<350

now the serum BUN/cr ratio are opposite acc to FA and pathoma

m really confused.actually pathoma totally makes sense but FA cannot be wrong

which is correct and why ??

thanks

When I posted the code I got from my school, another email went out saying we're not allowed to share them and that the one I posted would be deactivated. @_@

I guess I got lucky. Already got my book in the mail and they charged my credit card with the discounted rate.

I found a difference in FA and pathoma

pathoma has divided postrenal azotemia into 2 parts early and and long standing.the early is like prerenal when the tubular function is intact(fena<1% and urine osm>500)
but in long standing its given tubular damage ensues and serum BUN/Cr ratio <15 FeNa>2% urine osm<500

in First Aid postrenal serum BUN/Cr ratio>15 FeNA>4% urine osm<350

now the serum BUN/cr ratio are opposite acc to FA and pathoma

m really confused.actually pathoma totally makes sense but FA cannot be wrong

which is correct and why ??

thanks
FA is wrong. Pathoma's explanation is correct. BUN/cr > 15 implies intact tubular function.

Last edited:
A ONE YEAR subscription to 35 hours of VIDEO lectures + a high quality review book with full-color pictures that compliments the lectures, by the chief of pathology at the University of Chicago, no less, who also used to give USMLE lectures for Kaplan? Let's not forget that you can watch each lecture like 5 times-- some programs only let you watch each one once or twice.

$100 IS. A. STEAL. Why would anybody complain about the price?! This is probably the best bargain in board review I've ever seen. And no, I don't work for Pathoma, attend U of C, or know Dr. Sattar personally. But I am using his lectures and book and am learning so much out of them -- learning, not even reviewing. He is an amazing, gifted professor and I feel incredibly grateful that he put out this program at such a reasonable price.

If anybody wants to whine about Pathoma prices, nobody is forcing you to buy it. If you don't think it's a good value, use something else. But don't abuse the system and ultimately force them to jack up the price for the rest of us down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
A ONE YEAR subscription to 35 hours of VIDEO lectures + a high quality review book with full-color pictures that compliments the lectures, by the chief of pathology at the University of Chicago, no less, who also used to give USMLE lectures for Kaplan? Let's not forget that you can watch each lecture like 5 times-- some programs only let you watch each one once or twice.

$100 IS. A. STEAL. Why would anybody complain about the price?! This is probably the best bargain in board review I've ever seen. And no, I don't work for Pathoma, attend U of C, or know Dr. Sattar personally. But I am using his lectures and book and am learning so much out of them -- learning, not even reviewing. He is an amazing, gifted professor and I feel incredibly grateful that he put out this program at such a reasonable price.

If anybody wants to whine about Pathoma prices, nobody is forcing you to buy it. If you don't think it's a good value, use something else. But don't abuse the system and ultimately force them to jack up the price for the rest of us down the road.
At the same time don't trumpet how it's a bargain; that too leads to price increases.

My only problem was the fact that I had to mail the books to my billing address which is Canada thus it increased by 30.00 dollars, if I was able to mail it to my dorm room I would have saved the 30.00 dollars. I called customer service and there was no way around that.

greatest book ever...ok well maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm already thru the first 4 chapters in two days and I've learned AND retained more than I have the past 2 years of medical school...brilliant

Would you guys say it is safe to replace my RR pathology study with pathoma?

I wouldnt go as far as saying it can replace RR. Golijan has been a time tested high-yield gold mine for quite sometime and it incorporates many subjects in to pathology.

Pathoma is an excellent supplement with Golijan. It breaks down the concepts to such a fundamental level that understanding is very easy. Its clarified concepts for me in a way that none of my professors or even golijan would be able to do so. The fact that the book (which is 1/3 the size of RR) is accompanied with videos is what makes it such an amazing combination. While Pathoma does include many co-relations with biochem and pharm it mainly sticks to pathology but he does specifically points out the high-yield concepts while going through the video and does so in an excellent manner.

I'm using Pathoma as a learning tool for path and replacing it completely with my lectures and notes while using RR as a review tool.

I'm going to do both. I would just use Goljan, but for me it is hard to learn from and better as a review. Pathoma is very easy to learn from so I'm using that first, then reviewing Goljan.

Come on dude. It's $100 dollars at most and it is by far the best information/$ deal out there. You don't have to distbute them for your own personal gain.

Come on dude. It's $100 dollars at most and it is by far the best information/$ deal out there. You don't have to distbute them for your own personal gain.

Totally agree. Dr. Husain put an immense amount of work in to his lectures and book and is only charging a $100 and yet people still want to boot leg. Ridiculous.

For yall MS2 taking step in June:
Are you guys going to class this semester at all? Between step studying, reading FA and qbanks, I am finding it hard to view our schools lecture at 2-4 hours/day. Just wondering if people are skipping class completely and maybe just using Pathoma

For yall MS2 taking step in June:
Are you guys going to class this semester at all? Between step studying, reading FA and qbanks, I am finding it hard to view our schools lecture at 2-4 hours/day. Just wondering if people are skipping class completely and maybe just using Pathoma

Yes, I am completely skipping class. There's a ppt for every lecture our professors give, and it's faster to read over the ppts myself, watch the appropriate Kaplan video, & read RR Goljan/BRS Path than actually listen to my professors drone on about what's on the ppt. I will also supplement my studying with Q&A books from our library. With all this I know I can definitely pass our class exams, & with the time management I leave ample time for step studying each day.

I think that if you can use Pathoma and still pass your class exams without going to class, DO IT! Even if your class grades slip a little bit, it'll be all worth it in the end when you get that great step score in June. :laugh:

Theres only a couple mentions of BRS pathology in this thread so I thought I would ask as I'm about to purchase some supplemental board study books. Is BRS pathology necessary if you decide to purchase pathoma?? I of course have FA and I also have a bunch books from a program that our school got us (not using the program outline though as I never study with a dedicated structured program that tells me what to study and when.) I guess I don't want to spend extra money and have a ton of extra books as I've heard having too many resources can just bog you down. Until today I had never heard of pathoma but it sounds promising so I'm just curious if BRS path is needed as well if I get this.

Last edited:
Theres only a couple mentions of BRS pathology in this thread so I thought I would ask as I'm about to purchase some supplemental board study boards. Is BRS pathology necessary if you decide to purchase pathoma?? I of course have FA and I also have a bunch books from a program that our school got us (not using the program outline though as I never study with a dedicated structured program that tells me what to study and when.) I guess I don't want to spend extra money and have a ton of extra books as I've heard have too many resources can just bog you down. Until today I had never heard of pathoma but it sounds promising so I'm just curious if BRS path is needed as well if I get this.

nope , pathoma book is all you need ... BRS physiology is a good one to get . his book is full of histology slides and really easy to read .. you can read the whole thing in one day .. no joke

Theres only a couple mentions of BRS pathology in this thread so I thought I would ask as I'm about to purchase some supplemental board study books. Is BRS pathology necessary if you decide to purchase pathoma?? I of course have FA and I also have a bunch books from a program that our school got us (not using the program outline though as I never study with a dedicated structured program that tells me what to study and when.) I guess I don't want to spend extra money and have a ton of extra books as I've heard having too many resources can just bog you down. Until today I had never heard of pathoma but it sounds promising so I'm just curious if BRS path is needed as well if I get this.

I don't think BRS path is necessary. I'm using Goljan's RR book and Pathoma videos (I haven't decided if I'm going to read his accompanying book yet) for path, along with reading Robbins (big Robbins). I looked over BRS path early on in our course but I don't think there's much in there that can't be found in those sources that I mentioned.

I wish I would have bought Pathoma earlier!

Quick question: Does pathoma covers pathophys or is it mainly path. How is the integration between different disciplines? Gracias folks!

nope , pathoma book is all you need ... BRS physiology is a good one to get . his book is full of histology slides and really easy to read .. you can read the whole thing in one day .. no joke

Wow you're a fast reader! But are you retaining much going that fast? It's actually kinda deceptively dense.

Quick question: Does pathoma covers pathophys or is it mainly path. How is the integration between different disciplines? Gracias folks!

There's an occasional biochem/pharm tie-in that he does on the videos. But he doesn't really go in depth into physiology (it's not PHYSoma) :laugh:

I am personally going to stick to Pathoma only vs. RR path + Goljan audio. RR path is too dense, and why would I listen to an audio when I can watch a video with all the drawings and pictures Pathoma uses, but that's just me.

Dr. Sattar does a great job of keeping your attention and making difficult concepts easier to grasp.

I am personally going to stick to Pathoma only vs. RR path + Goljan audio. RR path is too dense, and why would I listen to an audio when I can watch a video with all the drawings and pictures Pathoma uses, but that's just me.

Dr. Sattar does a great job of keeping your attention and making difficult concepts easier to grasp.

I agree. I have worked with classmates using Goljan. And can see the technique as valid. But it's just not for me.

First Aid + Pathoma + GT + UWorld = everything I need to know to get the score I want. The rest would be just switching around the presentation to much to actually get really familiar with fewer sources.

Goljan is integrated. But so is First Aid and Uworld. And I prefer itemization so that I can find and use my smaller number of materials quickly and effectively.

It's just a certain kind of mind that likes one over the other. But I suspect there are many who benefit from a Pathoma approach that are using other texts because of tradition. And fear.

Wow you're a fast reader! But are you retaining much going that fast? It's actually kinda deceptively dense.

i just finished my 3rd pass of pathoma online vids .... i would read the section before watching the clip , then reread it after and write the little facts that i might not remember on a note book .. i did that for the 1st 2 runs ... this took some time starting from the 1st day of my prep . right now i'm on what i call cruise mode , i just sit back relax and watch his vids as a review for each system ... i find that much better and more proactive than rereading books or notes ... he always reminds you of the little important facts in the 1st aid for each system .. my exam is in 2 weeks and i plan on watching his vids one more time on the topics that i feel i'm a bit slow on .. I know it's crazy and some might say it over kill , but the guy really pushed me to the next level in path .. :thumbup:

Wow this is exactly how I plan to use it!

Do you pause the videos in between a lot to take notes? Or do you just let the video keep on running through?

How many hours a day are you putting in and how long is each pass taking?

I think the vids are 40 hours?
So at about 6 hours ov vid and 3-4 hours of reviewing a day it should take a week per pass through the videos.... So does that mean you've spent 3 weeks on it? Or each pass are you speeding up the vids and reviewing the notes less and less?

Wow this is exactly how I plan to use it!

Do you pause the videos in between a lot to take notes? Or do you just let the video keep on running through?

How many hours a day are you putting in and how long is each pass taking?

I think the vids are 40 hours?
So at about 6 hours ov vid and 3-4 hours of reviewing a day it should take a week per pass through the videos.... So does that mean you've spent 3 weeks on it? Or each pass are you speeding up the vids and reviewing the notes less and less?

The 1st pass was at normal speed , i would do a chapter every 2 days .. The last 2 passes was on the 1.4X speed which is perfect ... it's not to fast to keep up with .

The 1st 3 chapters i only did twice , because he always brings up the important points from those chapters while he covers each organ . so if you take out the gen path chapters and you use the 1.4X speed ... that would be around 20hrs . most organs systems are only and hour long and i think some of the big systems like GI is close to 2hrs ... i would do a system a day .. and spend the rest of the day going over 1st aid for that system and end my day with some Q ... He really knows whats HY ..

The 1st pass was at normal speed , i would do a chapter every 2 days .. The last 2 passes was on the 1.4X speed which is perfect ... it's not to fast to keep up with .

The 1st 3 chapters i only did twice , because he always brings up the important points from those chapters while he covers each organ . so if you take out the gen path chapters and you use the 1.4X speed ... that would be around 20hrs . most organs systems are only and hour long and i think some of the big systems like GI is close to 2hrs ... i would do a system a day .. and spend the rest of the day going over 1st aid for that system and end my day with some Q ... He really knows whats HY ..

Have you taken any NBME's or other assessments throughout? If so, what was the score change? I'm just about to finish my first pass (have CNS and Endocrine left).