PCOM-GA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Acquiring level I trauma hospital rotations, like Grady or Atlanta Medical Center would require more effort. They're also allopathic based hospitals, but all that is a ways off.

Actually they do rotate at Grady from what I learned at my interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I just got an interview invite for Nov. 21st. Will anyone else be there? I'll be coming from Idaho, so I'll be staying in a hotel.

My question is whether or not it's a good idea to make a flight out of Atlanta for the same day as the interview. I have a morning interview, and it looks like they only last for about 2 hours. Should I play it safe and make an evening flight or is it okay to do an afternoon flight?

Hey guys,
I just got an interview invite for Nov. 21st. Will anyone else be there? I'll be coming from Idaho, so I'll be staying in a hotel.

My question is whether or not it's a good idea to make a flight out of Atlanta for the same day as the interview. I have a morning interview, and it looks like they only last for about 2 hours. Should I play it safe and make an evening flight or is it okay to do an afternoon flight?

If you have the morning session for interview, then you could book your flight around 3-4 PM and you should be fine since their afternoon session starts around 11:45 AM. I am sure you will be out before 12 PM, but just to be safe, you shouldn't book too early. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the morning session for interview, then you could book your flight around 3-4 PM and you should be fine since their afternoon session starts around 11:45 AM. I am sure you will be out before 12 PM, but just to be safe, you shouldn't book too early. :)

Thanks!

Actually they do rotate at Grady from what I learned at my interview.
That's good to hear, I was told only Dekalb Medical, and they said no to Grady or AMC, but I asked students and not the interviewers. (I worked at Grady for several years, and I like the atmosphere.)

The three weeks is definitely approaching. I wish they would call for acceptances rather than snail mail. It's not as much the delay in knowing my status, but the empty mailbox syndrome that I feel these days.

That's good to hear, I was told only Dekalb Medical, and they said no to Grady or AMC, but I asked students and not the interviewers. (I worked at Grady for several years, and I like the atmosphere.)

The three weeks is definitely approaching. I wish they would call for acceptances rather than snail mail. It's not as much the delay in knowing my status, but the empty mailbox syndrome that I feel these days.

I worked at Dekalb for 2 years and shadowed at Grady in Green Pod. The student who had lunch with us said any hospital in a 45 min radius can do the rotations which the interviewer confirmed. I don't trust Dekalb Medical but I do trust Grady. I love Grady with all my heart and soul.

When they have the next admissions committee meeting, will they be reviewing everyone who interviewed after Oct. 3rd?? If this is the case, were those who interviewed in Oct 10th/11th told the same thing that we were on the 18th (that we will hear back within 3 weeks)? If so, that would mean decisions should be out by the beginning of next week (technically, the 31st is 3 weeks from the 10th) for those of us who were in the second "round" of interviews. Does this sound right? Thanks :thumbup: :D

I was on the 11th. They claimed the next meeting was going to be on that Thursday (13?) and that decisions would be made then but we would not learn of them for up to 3 weeks.

I worked at Dekalb for 2 years and shadowed at Grady in Green Pod. The student who had lunch with us said any hospital in a 45 min radius can do the rotations which the interviewer confirmed. I don't trust Dekalb Medical but I do trust Grady. I love Grady with all my heart and soul.
I feel the same way about Grady. The student was talking about the J-Term option and from what he said it meant you had to personally and individually set-up your rotations at those hospitals. In general, I hope GA-PCOM builds more tracks with larger hospitals. (ex. AMC is also a good hospital which had a big need for research, and this was keeping them from being level 1 at some time.) DeKalb Medical & DeKalb "KILLendale" has a well-earned poor reputation, along with South Fulton and Southern Regional.

My undergrad was from Emory in 2003 so who knows. I think they care more about other factors.

I love Grady with all my heart and soul.

I went to Emory as well. I also worked at Grady for several years, and am in love! Just thought I'd join the party.

I, too, doubt it's a huge deciding factor in admission, but we can always hope. :)

does anyone know how many students GAPCOM is admitting this cycle? I've heard they are increasing the number, but can't really find evidence of this.

Excellent. Thanks so much. I just couldn't bring myself to sift through the entire thread in hopes of finding it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, we are officially at the 3 week mark for Oct 10th interviews. Still no word for anyone? I checked my mail today and nothing here in TN (although, I interviewed on Oct 18th. Though I'm assuming we were probably all reviewed at the same time).

Any one have any word on when we are supposed to hear back?

Well, we are officially at the 3 week mark for Oct 10th interviews. Still no word for anyone? I checked my mail today and nothing here in TN (although, I interviewed on Oct 18th. Though I'm assuming we were probably all reviewed at the same time).

I interviewed on the 11th. The interviewers said the adcomm was meeting on the Thursday (which would have been 13th) and they said that if we didn't hear back in 3 weeks to contact them.

All is quiet in 'Bama. I interviewed on 10/17. My bet is on a similar timeline as last year, with a second batch of decisions being announced mid-November. That's pure speculation, so hopefully I'm wrong.

I interviewed on the 11th. The interviewers said the adcomm was meeting on the Thursday (which would have been 13th) and they said that if we didn't hear back in 3 weeks to contact them.

I interviewed on the 10th, but they didn't tell us to contact them after 3 weeks. I'm thinking about calling them tomorrow. Have you already contacted them?

I interviewed on the 10th, but they didn't tell us to contact them after 3 weeks. I'm thinking about calling them tomorrow. Have you already contacted them?

The interviewer specifically said contact after three weeks. He was very clear on that.

Nope, I haven't contacted them. I was given several bouts of interesting news literally within hours of the interview which is making it look like even if I get in, I will have to defer or possibly withdraw anyway from all schools. So if they want to keep their decision from me for the next few months, that's ok. I'm in no rush to get their decision. I am waiting for my mentor to get back to me on his advice on what specifically to do, given the new information is HUGE, but I think he is trying to torture me.

Has anyone who is past the 3 week mark called and heard any relevant news about hearing back? I can't imagine days going by any slower than they have the last two weeks.

The interviewer specifically said contact after three weeks. He was very clear on that.

Nope, I haven't contacted them. I was given several bouts of interesting news literally within hours of the interview which is making it look like even if I get in, I will have to defer or possibly withdraw anyway from all schools. So if they want to keep their decision from me for the next few months, that's ok. I'm in no rush to get their decision. I am waiting for my mentor to get back to me on his advice on what specifically to do, given the new information is HUGE, but I think he is trying to torture me.

So you won't be going to medical school at all now, or you will but just at a later time? (none of my business, of course....just curious)

Has anyone who is past the 3 week mark called and heard any relevant news about hearing back? I can't imagine days going by any slower than they have the last two weeks.

Interviewed 8/25/11 and got my letter yesterday. Accepted! :) Here's hoping that y'all get some similar news soon. See y'all soon. :D

Interviewed 8/25/11 and got my letter yesterday. Accepted! :) Here's hoping that y'all get some similar news soon. See y'all soon. :D

Was your interview date a typo? I'm pretty sure they didn't start interviewing at GA-PCOM until October.

So you won't be going to medical school at all now, or you will but just at a later time? (none of my business, of course....just curious)

Probably just in another year or two but it's hard to know. It depends on what these experiences have on me and how long one of the experiences last. I know this if I go, do the experiences and then come back and apply, it will make me a much better doctor. At least 4 of the 5 will. The last one may or may not have an effect.

I do know I have a letter from GA PCOM in my hands. I haven't opened it. I need to talk out the experiences with my mentor before I know what the letter says.

Was your interview date a typo? I'm pretty sure they didn't start interviewing at GA-PCOM until October.

When I interviewed, the student said there were a handful of August/September interviews. Not many at all.

Just got the letter here in TN! I interviewed 10/18! I'm sure everyone is happy that I can now stop neurotically updating this board, ha! I'm so excited :) This school was the one. I'm thrilled!

I hope good news comes to everyone else soon! It looks like decisions are going out for interview dates 10/10 - 10/25. (I'm pretty sure above was just a typo...I do that all the time).

As I metioned previously, I have a 25R MCAT (10vb/8ps/7bs) and I was not asked to retake the test like some others have been because of the 7. I should disclose that I had an 8 in bs on a previous MCAT attempt, so that might make a difference. Good luck to all those in the future...apply early.

Congrats to those with recent acceptances!!!:thumbup: So excited for you guys! Still waiting to hear about an interview, been complete since 10/18 hope to hear something really soon, this is my #1 school!!

As per the PCOM catalog: "Interviews begin in September for the Philadelphia Campus and in October for the Georgia Campus and continue through March."

http://www.pcom.edu/Academic_Programs/catalogs/current_CATALOG.PDF

Those were for normal interviews. There were a few cases where a student had to defer and they had to reinterview and they interviewed and were accepted before the main interview season. That is what they stated there at the campus, at lunch.

Those were for normal interviews. There were a few cases where a student had to defer and they had to reinterview and they interviewed and were accepted before the main interview season. That is what they stated there at the campus, at lunch.

HI.... yes that was me. I interviewed September 27th. I had been accepted last year and had to defer the acceptance due to family related complications.... BUT... I got re accepted and I am just so thankful and happy to attend PCOM.... it was kinda love at first sight ;):love:
Congratulations to everybody else :) See you next summer.
Also, did anyone start a Facebook page yet?

Just got the letter here in TN! I interviewed 10/18! I'm sure everyone is happy that I can now stop neurotically updating this board, ha! I'm so excited :) This school was the one. I'm thrilled!

I hope good news comes to everyone else soon! It looks like decisions are going out for interview dates 10/10 - 10/25. (I'm pretty sure above was just a typo...I do that all the time).

As I metioned previously, I have a 25R MCAT (10vb/8ps/7bs) and I was not asked to retake the test like some others have been because of the 7. I should disclose that I had an 8 in bs on a previous MCAT attempt, so that might make a difference. Good luck to all those in the future...apply early.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm very happy and excited for you. Good job :D

Finally got my letter yesterday...and I'm accepted!! Congrats to everyone else who have been accepted...PS way to represent TN women vandyam, I know you're thrilled!!

Got my acceptance letter today- woooo! I'm actually a little surprised, I'm from NY and they seemed to kinda lean towards people in the south and was afraid that I didn't make my case for going to their school well... but I guess I did! I interviewed 10/24 and got in today - 11/5.

Finally got my letter yesterday...and I'm accepted!! Congrats to everyone else who have been accepted...PS way to represent TN women vandyam, I know you're thrilled!!

Thanks a lot girl :) Congrats to you as well! You're really cleaning up this year!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm very happy and excited for you. Good job :D

Thank you so much! I appreciate all your insight earlier this week :) Congrats again on all the great acceptances.

Last edited:
Got my acceptance letter today- woooo! I'm actually a little surprised, I'm from NY and they seemed to kinda lean towards people in the south and was afraid that I didn't make my case for going to their school well... but I guess I did! I interviewed 10/24 and got in today - 11/5.

Hi :) I am from NY too :) well originally from Germany but moved to NY 4 years ago... I can not wait to move South... I LOOOVE Georgia :)

I went ahead and made a facebook group for those of you who are sure you are going to attend PCOM-GA next semester. Please join :)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/135910533181629/

PS. The new group layout is not as nice as it used to be...this is due to facebook's "updated" format, not because of any changes I made.

...never mind.

I went ahead and made a facebook group for those of you who are sure you are going to attend PCOM-GA next semester. Please join :)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/135910533181629/

PS. The new group layout is not as nice as it used to be...this is due to facebook's "updated" format, not because of any changes I made.

Just sent you a FB request to join. I'm 99% sure at this point so I figured I would.

Got letter friday - interview 10//11; If the other two ladies who interviewed in the morning session received an acceptance, give me a shout.

Just got the interview invite today on the way home from seeing the Foo Fighters in ATL (epic), best 2 days of my life haha!!!!!! Coming Nov. 22nd!

Just got the interview invite today on the way home from seeing the Foo Fighters in ATL (epic), best 2 days of my life haha!!!!!! Coming Nov. 22nd!

Wow, awesome! Congrats!

Hey guys, I'm interviewing on 11/21 and will be flying into Atlanta the day before. Is anyone else flying in on the 20th, and if so, could I possibly get a ride to the Hampton Inn in Lawrenceville? It doesn't look like the school or the hotel have shuttles to/from the airport, and I really don't want to rent a car.

Interviewed today. Very nice place I enjoyed every minute of it. The actual interview went very smoothly as well. They were very nice and seemed very interested in what I had to say. This was my first interview and it was a pleasant experience. I can't wait to hear back from them!

Finally got word from my mentor to open the letter. Was a wait list.

Given I would have almost certainly had to delay anyway given some news that was starting to happen right around that time, I'm actually happy because it's one less thing to worry about. This could not have worked out better for me.

Finally got word from my mentor to open the letter. Was a wait list.

Given I would have almost certainly had to delay anyway given some news that was starting to happen right around that time, I'm actually happy because it's one less thing to worry about. This could not have worked out better for me.

I'm so glad those other opportunities opened up for you and are allowing you to broaden your horizons. Now you won't be torn is different directions, and won't have to feel conflicted about delaying. Best of luck next year!

I'm so glad those other opportunities opened up for you and are allowing you to broaden your horizons. Now you won't be torn is different directions, and won't have to feel conflicted about delaying. Best of luck next year!

Thanks!

I just wish one of the "opportunities" wasn't somewhat sad. :(

Most are absolutely wonderful, except for one. Unless a miracle occurs, my best friend of 15 years is likely going to be dead within a year. She's 30. This would be my first time truly experiencing what our patients' families experience when a member is snatched away young.

I can do nearly all of the other more positive opportunities while also taking care of her. One of them we were planning on doing together anyway if the opportunity ever arose. It arose.