Philadelphia-area school applicants 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcs2074

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard any updates from Temple, Jefferson, Philadelphia U, or Salus U as to admissions decisions or when admissions decisions will begin to be sent out?

In the case of Salus, has anyone had an interview, have any info they can share on what it was like and how long after applying they were contacted?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

My OTCAS was verified on September 9 and I was invited for an interview on October 9 for an interview. I have not heard back from the other schools

I heard a while ago from Don at Thomas Jefferson that admissions decisions would start going out at the end of November. However, he also said supplemental applications would go out early September and those were a few weeks late so who knows...
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard a while ago from Don at Thomas Jefferson that admissions decisions would start going out at the end of November. However, he also said supplemental applications would go out early September and those were a few weeks late so who knows...
Good luck!

heard the same stuff. earliest would be end of NOV.

but, yup, who knows.

Has anyone heard any updates from Temple, Jefferson, Philadelphia U, or Salus U as to admissions decisions or when admissions decisions will begin to be sent out?

In the case of Salus, has anyone had an interview, have any info they can share on what it was like and how long after applying they were contacted?

Thanks! :)

From what I know
-Temple should be letting everyone know in the ‘fall semester’…someone said that in another post and it is on their website in the FAQ’s. They told me via phone they only have interviews ‘as needed’
- Jefferson…I heard the same thing..Nov. If not then you could find out all the way up to January.
-PhillY said they do have interviews and December we might find out.

That’s what I’ve heard…but everything always seems to change or shift a little.

Thanks! Its so hard waiting :( Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
anyone hear anything yet? I thought I would have heard from temple by now. I hear jefferson should be sending some decisions out next week. did anyone receive a brochure from them this week? if so, are you scheduled to attend the open house? I feel like I may be getting false hopes from tju.

anyone hear anything yet? I thought I would have heard from temple by now. I hear jefferson should be sending some decisions out next week. did anyone receive a brochure from them this week? if so, are you scheduled to attend the open house? I feel like I may be getting false hopes from tju.

I haven't heard anything yet, but I am going to Jefferson's open house next week. Would you mind sharing your stats?

Hey guys, I went to TJU's open house today. I found out for sure that student emails were sent to every applicant and that admissions decisions for the most part will begin going out in January, though there may be a few sent next week and in the beginning of December. Good luck everyone! :)

From what I know
-Temple should be letting everyone know in the ‘fall semester’…someone said that in another post and it is on their website in the FAQ’s. They told me via phone they only have interviews ‘as needed’
- Jefferson…I heard the same thing..Nov. If not then you could find out all the way up to January.
-PhillY said they do have interviews and December we might find out.

That’s what I’ve heard…but everything always seems to change or shift a little.

Philadelphia University has an interview???
I thought it was one of the schools that didn't have an interview. Did you do an interview with Phil. U or know anyone that did?

Hey guys, I went to TJU's open house today. I found out for sure that student emails were sent to every applicant and that admissions decisions for the most part will begin going out in January, though there may be a few sent next week and in the beginning of December. Good luck everyone! :)
thanks for the info! were you able to speak with Don directly? I applied early, so I hope that means I may get a decision before January :xf:

I didn't get a chance because there was a very long line of people waiting to, but I spoke with another applicant there after she spoke with him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Philadelphia University has an interview???
I thought it was one of the schools that didn't have an interview. Did you do an interview with Phil. U or know anyone that did?
Hey HotPebbles, when I called them I am almost certain they said there were having interviews. However, I can not find anything on their website about it for the MOT program. I think their COTA program has interviews. Maybe they thought I was calling about the COTA program, instead of the MOT program.
I haven’t heard of anyone else receiving an interview from there.

I got an interview with Salus on Dec 12! Yay!

congrats and good luck!! Have you gotten any more correspondence from tju since you went to the open house? I can't wait to get that decision!:nailbiting:

congrats and good luck!! Have you gotten any more correspondence from tju since you went to the open house? I can't wait to get that decision!:nailbiting:

Thanks! The only correspondence I've had was an automated email containing a survey about the open house. They probably have off this week for the holiday.

yup. everybody's waiting. waiting. and just waiting.
what else can we do but wait. :boom:

Oh boy, so I wonder if that means Temple sends all decisions through snail mail..I hope not! Does anyone know how temple or tju will notify us?

Oh boy, so I wonder if that means Temple sends all decisions through snail mail..I hope not! Does anyone know how temple or tju will notify us?

I know it says snail mail on the grad cafe post, but at Temple's info session last week they said they would be sending decisions via email. I think TJU is also email, but not sure.

temple sends rejections only through snail mail, acceptances through email, and tju is email only. can't believe we could be waiting another month or two! I was otcas verified August 1st! I know schools don't really start going through the apps until September, but it's just been such a long wait!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh good to know! And yeah, I was verified a little after you on Sept 19th, so I feel ya. I have been on pins and needles since. I definitely do not want to wait until January to hear back from schools, so I'm really happy Temple will be dishing out some decisions in December. And yes, I know the TU portal all too well, haha, been on it every day.:( But thank you! I really just want good news from somewhere so I can stop wondering and enjoy life a little.;) I guess we won't hear a peep now until after Thanksgiving, so I'm definitely focusing on enjoying the holiday and eating all this stress away.:)

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations coolrunnins! Let me know if you end up going on Dec 12 as well. :)

On a side note, does anyone else think its really weird that Drexel doesn't have an OT program? They have a rehab sciences dept and creative therapies dept, complete with physical therapy, art therapy, music therapy, and even post-grad certification classes for OTs! I would be really curious to know their reason for not offering it.

So looking back on that whole rejection from Temple on the grad cafe site, does it worry anyone else that the person had a 3.6 gpa and a 157/149/4.5 gre score? I'm surprised they weren't at least waitlisted... do you think something in their app was off or that apps were just exceptionally competitive this year? I guess the 149 in math wasn't the best, but it just worries me a bit.o_O

So looking back on that whole rejection from Temple on the grad cafe site, does it worry anyone else that the person had a 3.6 gpa and a 157/149/4.5 gre score? I'm surprised they weren't at least waitlisted... do you think something in their app was off or that apps were just exceptionally competitive this year? I guess the 149 in math wasn't the best, but it just worries me a bit.o_O

How can you tell what their stats were?

You roll over the little red diamond under the rejected part. Not everyone posts their stats. I've been stalking that thread now, too. haha.

Oh I never noticed that before! Haha thanks for letting me know. I wouldn't worry about it too much, they might have had very few observation hours, or received a bad reference, who knows what the reason was. Have to stay optimistic! :)

No problem! and very true. No news is good news so far.:) I also just noticed the same exact stats, aka maybe the same person, being rejected from Chatham, so I'd guess it was something more in the app like the observation hours or something than the schools just rejecting the app based on those decent stats.

maybe they have a cutoff for both sections of the GRE.

149 is kind of low....although i agree rejection is a bit harsh.

Me too! I got the invite Wednesday, but am going to call and set it up!

For coolrunnins and Ics2074, good luck in your interviews for Salus! I have an interview scheduled in January and will be on the fence for attending if I am accepted to other schools beforehand, (I will be hearing back from one program in two weeks.) Can you let me know the information you learn about the program during the interview? I would be specifically interested in tuition costs (seemed a bit unclear to me on their website,) average financial aid they award, clinical focus (specifically if they have students work on cadavers,) how widespread their fieldwork opportunities are, and when they expect to become accredited.

For those of you who have spent a lot of time in and around Philadelphia- could you share your impression of it. Pros and Cons? What is drawing you to apply to Philly schools. I am not a big city person and am trying to see how my well-being would fair as a student there.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

For coolrunnins and Ics2074, good luck in your interviews for Salus! I have an interview scheduled in January and will be on the fence for attending if I am accepted to other schools beforehand, (I will be hearing back from one program in two weeks.) Can you let me know the information you learn about the program during the interview? I would be specifically interested in tuition costs (seemed a bit unclear to me on their website,) average financial aid they award, clinical focus (specifically if they have students work on cadavers,) how widespread their fieldwork opportunities are, and when they expect to become accredited.

For those of you who have spent a lot of time in and around Philadelphia- could you share your impression of it. Pros and Cons? What is drawing you to apply to Philly schools. I am not a big city person and am trying to see how my well-being would fair as a student there.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Hi inchbyinch!

No problem, I can actually tell you some of this information already. You should really do one of their online info sessions, you can find the answers to a lot of your questions there. Though I am a little confused on their total costs too, I received an email with a link to this extensive presentation on their financial aid: http://www.salus.edu/_videoFinAid/index.html. They will know their accreditation around March/April. They seem very confident they will receive it, they already have quite a few other fully accredited health science programs. They do have a full cadaver lab, as they already have an established Physician Assistant program that requires it too.

In regards to fieldwork, I want to find out more about this too since I know it is competitive between all the different OT schools in Philly (there are 5). When I was at Temple's info session though, the head of their OT program was talking about fieldwork and mentioned that they were competing with "Jefferson, Salus, Philadelphia U and other programs." It made Salus's new program more legit to me since the head of Temple's long-established OT program considers them competition haha. The greater Philadelphia area is huge though so while it may be more competitive in the city, there are still plenty of opportunities in the area.

I grew up about an hour from Philadelphia, and I love this city. There are lots of diverse neighborhoods, great museums, festivals and events, always something interesting to do, lovely parks, decent public transportation, and lots of history. Salus is actually in Elkins Park, which is slightly outside the city so more suburban. That area might actually be more your speed then say where Jefferson or Temple are located, which are both very much in the city (though Jefferson's in a MUCH better location then Temple.)

Hope that helps! What other schools are you applying to? Would you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you for all of the information! I watched their video about financial aid, and I found that to be very helpful as some the information can be applied to any program. Where can I find information about their online info sessions? I am thinking about taking a bus to Philly for the interview and interested in learning if you know how plausible that is. I'll be coming from Va, and the bus would drop me off at 30th st in philly, then I would have to find a form of public transit to Elkin's Park. Do you know if that's possible? It probably makes a lot more sense to drive…

I have applied to Thomas Jefferson, so it's nice to hear that it's in a better location than Temple. Most of the other schools I have applied to are in Virginia: VCU, JMU, Radford, Murphy Deming, and Shenandoah. I also applied to St. Augustine in Florida.

My overal GPA is 3.44. I haven't calculated my range for pre-reqs but they should be higher than overall. GRE 153V, 152Q, 3.5A. 87 Observation hours

I'm not sure about the best way to get there, your best bet would probably be to call Salus and ask them. :) Best of luck!

Coolrunnins and Ics2074,

I have an interview with Salus as well- on December 12th! Im very excited to learn more about their program; hopefully they will become accredited soon. Does anyone know how to check their status for Thomas Jeffersons application? I cannot seem to find the link or page to do so!

I don't think Thomas Jefferson has a link to check the app status. They pretty much communicate all through email. You will get an email when your app is incomplete or complete/ready for review and then you'll get another email with the acceptance/waitlist/rejection decision. I'm not positive, but I think this is how it works with TJ. Hope this helps. :)

I don't think Thomas Jefferson has a link to check the app status. They pretty much communicate all through email. You will get an email when your app is incomplete or complete/ready for review and then you'll get another email with the acceptance/waitlist/rejection decision. I'm not positive, but I think this is how it works with TJ. Hope this helps. :)

Thank you alg5443! I received the email that my application was complete in mid October... hopefully we hear back soon. Has anyone heard back from any of the schools in Philly regarding interviews, acceptances, wait lists or rejections? I know a couple of people have interviews at Salus, but was wondering if anyone else has.

No problem! And I only applied to Temple and Thomas Jefferson. No word from either. I think Temple should hopefully:xf: be sending some decisions out this week and with TJ it's up in the air, but hopefully soon!

No problem! And I only applied to Temple and Thomas Jefferson. No word from either. I think Temple should hopefully:xf: be sending some decisions out this week and with TJ it's up in the air, but hopefully soon!

I applied to Temple, Jefferson, USciences, Salus, and PhiliU. I check my emails constantly in hopes of receiving something from any of the schools! What was everyones undergrad majors and graduation years? I graduated with a degree in Health Sciences this past May 2013!

I do too! Must've checked the email like 35+ times today. Hahah. I majored in psychology and I am graduating in 3 weeks! :)

I go to Penn State. Really don't want to leave this place, but I am ready for the next step! Where did you go? Did you apply to other schools besides the Philly area? I've only been to Philly a couple times and I get a lot of mixed feelings about living there from people so it makes me a little nervous, but I absolutely love the OT programs.

I go to Penn State. Really don't want to leave this place, but I am ready for the next step! Where did you go? Did you apply to other schools besides the Philly area? I've only been to Philly a couple times and I get a lot of mixed feelings about living there from people so it makes me a little nervous, but I absolutely love the OT programs.

I went to Towson University in Maryland! Loved it there. I applied to all of the schools in Philadelphia (Temple, Jefferson, Salus, usciences, and PhillyU) and the University of Pittsburgh.

I went to Towson University in Maryland! Loved it there. I applied to all of the schools in Philadelphia (Temple, Jefferson, Salus, usciences, and PhillyU) and the University of Pittsburgh.

dfishy91, would you mind sharing your stats? Thanks!

Oh nice! :) and I also applied to the University of Pittsburgh, but I need to finish my physiology course before they can review my app. Anywho, I'm hoping all of us on this thread get in somewhere! We might even be future classmates. Yay!
Also only 3 more days to hear from temple based on when they think they will be sending decisions. Ahhhh.

Oh nice! :) and I also applied to the University of Pittsburgh, but I need to finish my physiology course before they can review my app. Anywho, I'm hoping all of us on this thread get in somewhere! We might even be future classmates. Yay!
Also only 3 more days to hear from temple based on when they think they will be sending decisions. Ahhhh.

Goodness! I heard Temple may send some decisions this week, but you mean you heard specifically that they're sending decisions on Friday? Can't wait to hear!

Oops, I meant it in that we have 3 days in which we can hear back from temple now, so like either Wednesday through Friday. But ironically I just talked with someone in one of my clubs who also applied to temple and she heard they are actually supposed to send some decisions specifically on this coming Friday.