Philadelphia-area school applicants 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Undergrad: University of Pittsburgh
Major: Human Relations and Psychology
Major GPA: 3.0 (started out as a nursing student...didn't go so well)
Pre req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 540, 520, 4.5
observation: 20 hours long term care rehab, current job recreation therapist

I had one recommendation, toured campus, set up an interview, completed application at end of august. I also placed my stats grade of an A even though I was applying to the MOT

and a whole lot of praying (thank you Jesus)

Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad: University of Pittsburgh
Major: Human Relations and Psychology
Major GPA: 3.0 (started out as a nursing student...didn't go so well)
Pre req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 540, 520, 4.5
observation: 20 hours long term care rehab, current job recreation therapist

I had one recommendation, toured campus, set up an interview, completed application at end of august. I also placed my stats grade of an A even though I was applying to the MOT

and a whole lot of praying (thank you Jesus)
Yes to praying! I hear that! Same here! That first acceptance stopped my breath and all I could say was thank you Jesus!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious how the Salus interview went for all of you yesterday. I'm particularly interested in your impressions on the program and the parts you like/dislike. I'd appreciate any insights. Hope the interview went well for you all!

I got a good feeling about Salus and really enjoyed the visit/interview. I don't think they'll have any trouble becoming accredited, but they will know for certain in early March. Everyone I met including the program director, faculty, admissions counselors, current students and even the cafeteria and front desk staff were all extremely kind, friendly and helpful. It is a new, small program but the faculty seems experienced, knowledgeable and supportive and the current students smart and confident in the program.

For fieldwork placements, they are generally up to 30 mins away but they cap the distance at 2 hours max (and if this occurs they make sure the others are closer) and they said they already have a lot of connections which are continuing to grow, so they haven't had any issues finding placements for students. They said if a student has a particular specialization they want to pursue, or a connection to a particular facility, the fieldwork coordinators will work with you to make it happen. Also there is no on campus housing, the school offers suggestions and advice for nearby apartment complexes, but it sounds like the majority of students (at least in the OT program) commute from home, especially since most semesters they only have class 3 or 4 days a week.

In terms of the NBCOT exam, I was only able to speak with 1st year students since 2nd year students were taking their finals, so I didn't get to ask about how well prepared they felt for the exam. However, the head of the program said they will offer resources to help students succeed and there is an outside NBCOT test prep program with proven success rates that they are encouraging all of their students to take. Also, since it is a school with only health science graduate programs, they do a lot of collaboration across the fields (optometry, audiology, physician's assistant, etc) which is pretty neat. There are also research opportunities and a culminating capstone project. Overall I felt pretty good about it. Hope that helps! :)

I'm curious how the Salus interview went for all of you yesterday. I'm particularly interested in your impressions on the program and the parts you like/dislike. I'd appreciate any insights. Hope the interview went well for you all!

The dislikes- no 6month fieldwork( they do a capstone class instead), no scores from the NBCOT test, Not accredited, Very small, $80,000 for less than 2 years
Like- only 20months, people were friendly

The dislikes- no 6month fieldwork( they do a capstone class instead), no scores from the NBCOT test, Not accredited, Very small, $80,000 for less than 2 years
Like- only 20months, people were friendly

LaxgirlluvsOT,
I'm curious where are you getting the $80,000 from? I received a paper from Salus that says total tuition over the 2 years, including books, university fees and avg loan fees, would be about $50,000 (tuition alone for the 1st year is $18,720 and for the 2nd year $24,960) Still not cheap, but about on par or slightly less than other schools in the Philly area (Temple's in-state tuition is about $51,000 not including books/fees). That's not including living expenses, but of course that's variable depending on the person (roommates, spending habits, car, etc)

Reactions: 1 user
LaxgirlluvsOT,
I'm curious where are you getting the $80,000 from? I received a paper from Salus that says total tuition over the 2 years, including books, university fees and avg loan fees, would be about $50,000 (tuition alone for the 1st year is $18,720 and for the 2nd year $24,960) Still not cheap, but about on par or slightly less than other schools in the Philly area (Temple's in-state tuition is about $51,000 not including books/fees). That's not including living expenses, but of course that's variable depending on the person (roommates, spending habits, car, etc)

I received the paper at my interview and I was just accepted today.
The paper I received says: first year tuition=21,320, second year= 29,100. In total = 50,420 just for Tuition/fees/books
I added in housing, because all the nicer apartments near there are about $1000 a month( NOT including utilities and cable), 2years= $24,000. $50,420+24,000=74,420(tuition&housing)
I would have to fly home for holidays. So about $1,000 for 2 years; for flights home. Budgeting $300 a month for food, gas, and miscellaneous purchase=$7,200
In recap-- $50,420(tuition)+24,000(rent)+$1,000(travel expenses)+7,200(food/gas/misc)= $82,620 TOTAL

I was accepted into Salus today! Received an email a little bit ago. Did anyone else hear from them?

Congrats on your acceptances so far! Your stats are very impressive! Do you know which schools are your top choices?

Sorry I took so long to respond, I never noticed the alert symbol on the page until now! I think I'm limiting my decision to being between Chatham University and Rush University, however I'm pretty set on Rush right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing from Temple or TJU yet! Hopefully soon!

Did anyone else get the email saying Temple will be closed for the holidays until Jan 2nd?
I wonder of they are sending out any admissions decisions today before they close?!

Did anyone else get the email saying Temple will be closed for the holidays until Jan 2nd?
I wonder of they are sending out any admissions decisions today before they close?!
Hey on the Temple Portal you can see if they have a decision for you.
About a week ago it said ‘denied’, and then a few days later I received a paper via post mail saying I did not achieve acceptance.

go to: https://tuportal3.temple.edu/cp/home/displaylogin
- put in your username and password
- click on Apply for Admission
- click on 2014 Fall under ‘Admission Term’ in processed applicants
- you will see if there is a decision

Hey on the Temple Portal you can see if they have a decision for you.
About a week ago it said ‘denied’, and then a few days later I received a paper via post mail saying I did not achieve acceptance.

go to: https://tuportal3.temple.edu/cp/home/displaylogin
- put in your username and password
- click on Apply for Admission
- click on 2014 Fall under ‘Admission Term’ in processed applicants
- you will see if there is a decision

drm66, would you mind sharing your stats? Thanks!

drm66, would you mind sharing your stats? Thanks!

University: Drexel
Major: Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.2 (depending on pre-preqs; without physics its much higher!)
GRE: V150 Q147 W4.0

Extra-Curric: Work Fulltime in hospital, so didn’t stress this as much. Several 5k’s for MS, Autism, Dash for Donors. Multiple charity/volunteer experiences: i.e. donating food. Listed officer positions form college clubs.

Volunteer: VA medical center PT,OT, ST; HealthSouth PT, OT, ST; Pediatric OT

Acceptances: Chatham

Rejections: Temple

Interviews: Shenandoah. Turned down NYIT interview.

My stats are probably the average applicant stats. All of my applications were complete and verified by early November. Although I have average statistics, my experience at my current full-time job and my strong references have helped me.

Anyone wondering when we will hear back from Jefferson? I never got official word about timing anyone hear anything or when decisions will start being sent out

I got an email from Don in early December saying decisions should be out by mid to late January.

Last edited:
I applied to TJU a couple of weeks ago and haven't received the info for the supplemental app yet. I'm assuming they are closed for the holidays but with admissions decisions starting to go out soon, I was hoping to get that completed ASAP. Hopefully they'll email me the info soon!

I was accepted into Salus today! Received an email a little bit ago. Did anyone else hear from them?

Hey, for some reason I didn't notice this til now. Congratulations!! I haven't received a response from Salus yet, I think they are waiting to receive my AU update first. I did get the Therapy Aide job with Moss Rehab though! :)

Hey, for some reason I didn't notice this til now. Congratulations!! I haven't received a response from Salus yet, I think they are waiting to receive my AU update first. I did get the Therapy Aide job with Moss Rehab though! :)

Thanks!! And that's awesome... When do you start at moss?

Thanks!! And that's awesome... When do you start at moss?

2 wks! It's technically per diem but they're giving me a regular part-time schedule to start. I'm excited, and glad I'll have this to help keep me preoccupied from obsessing about grad school haha. I applied to all the schools early September but haven't heard back from any of them yet...its driving me a little crazy. How do you like moss so far? Are you accepting salus?

2 wks! It's technically per diem but they're giving me a regular part-time schedule to start. I'm excited, and glad I'll have this to help keep me preoccupied from obsessing about grad school haha. I applied to all the schools early September but haven't heard back from any of them yet...its driving me a little crazy. How do you like moss so far? Are you accepting salus?

I don't know if I'm going to accept Salus yet. I still want to hear from Temple and Jefferson. I finished applying to schools the first week in October so I am pretty anxious as well! Amd let me know how ur first day at moss is!

Hi guys! So I just checked temple portal and something seems a little weird. I was OTCAS verified on September 19th, then on TU portal it said all my application materials were received October 8th. Now when I looked it is updated saying the names of my references (these spaces used to be blank), ect but it says they were received December 20th? Anyone else notice this discrepancy? I wonder if there was a mix up or if they are just actually beginning to look at some applications. I can't imagine if I was submitted in early September but who knows.

Hi guys! So I just checked temple portal and something seems a little weird. I was OTCAS verified on September 19th, then on TU portal it said all my application materials were received October 8th. Now when I looked it is updated saying the names of my references (these spaces used to be blank), ect but it says they were received December 20th? Anyone else notice this discrepancy? I wonder if there was a mix up or if they are just actually beginning to look at some applications. I can't imagine if I was submitted in early September but who knows.
alg5443-Do not worry, mine says the same thing. I think it just takes time to process all the info and it has probably little or no bearing on where you are in the process. I think most have been/are being reviewed now if you have submitted your application before around Thanksgiving. I have been accepted and I noticed that info showed up on my portal as well. Hope this helps.

The same exact thing happened to mine as well! I was so nervous but I'm glad to hear I am not the only one. I'm sure it's nothing bad, they must be processing everything and it's taking a while?

This happened to me too, I'm glad its not just me! I also had my materials submitted in early September, received email confirmation my app was 100% complete on sept 20th, but the online summary now says they were received dec 30. I sent an email to Jacquee about it but haven't received a response yet.

It also had one of my references listed under "additional items needed" which I don't understand since it's been complete on OTCAS since August. Has that happened to anyone else?

Oh good. What a relief! I thought they lost my materials or something and just recovered them.:laugh: And lcs2074, I also have a reference under the additional items needed. I think that's okay, too. It was nice to see something has changed on my TU portal I guess. haha. Hopefully we get some answers soon!

Oh good. What a relief! I thought they lost my materials or something and just recovered them.:laugh: And lcs2074, I also have a reference under the additional items needed. I think that's okay, too. It was nice to see something has changed on my TU portal I guess. haha. Hopefully we get some answers soon!

Alg5443, I thought the same thing! Its especially worrisome with a rolling admissions school that stresses applying early hah. I'm so relieved to know the reference thing happened for others too. Hopefully this means we'll hear back soon! :)

Alg5443, I thought the same thing! Its especially worrisome with a rolling admissions school that stresses applying early hah. I'm so relieved to know the reference thing happened for others too. Hopefully this means we'll hear back soon! :)

The same thing happened with me that it states I have "additional items needed." I spoke to Jacquee a few weeks ago and she said that they have the reference and it doesn't mean they still need it

I received the paper at my interview and I was just accepted today.
The paper I received says: first year tuition=21,320, second year= 29,100. In total = 50,420 just for Tuition/fees/books
I added in housing, because all the nicer apartments near there are about $1000 a month( NOT including utilities and cable), 2years= $24,000. $50,420+24,000=74,420(tuition&housing)
I would have to fly home for holidays. So about $1,000 for 2 years; for flights home. Budgeting $300 a month for food, gas, and miscellaneous purchase=$7,200
In recap-- $50,420(tuition)+24,000(rent)+$1,000(travel expenses)+7,200(food/gas/misc)= $82,620 TOTAL

Congrats on getting in to Salus!! I had my interview there and am still waiting to hear back because i took my GRE somewhat late. Did you get notified by salus via Email or regular mail?

Congrats on getting in to Salus!! I had my interview there and am still waiting to hear back because i took my GRE somewhat late. Did you get notified by salus via Email or regular mail?
I got notified by email and by letter. I decided to turn them down because I got in at a different school and I feel like Salus made me jump through hoops to get in. and they also asked me to get an OT observation hours sheet signed and notarized. Even after they have a letter from an OT that is signed that states that I did 130 hours there, and another that has 20 hours on it. And I wasn't too pleased with the area; there was not any nice apartments within like a 20 mile radius of the school.

Oh wow really. Did they send you a provisional acceptance and then ask you for that? Where did you end up accepting to if you dont mind me asking?

Oh wow really. Did they send you a provisional acceptance and then ask you for that? Where did you end up accepting to if you dont mind me asking?
I went for an interview in early November and Ryan, from admissions, said they had everything they needed and that I would hear back from them in 2 weeks. I didn't hear anything; so I called him and he said they needed me write an addendum to my personal essay asking what all I've done in OT. Still to this day, I never received an email about them needing it (So if I would not have called I would have never known they needed it). So I wrote up a 4 page detailed response and sent it to him and he said my application would be looked at during the next session (December interviews). So after about a month and a half I finally heard back in an email. they said I couldn't put down the deposit until I got my letter in the mail. They gave me a provisional acceptance, and they still wanted me to get their hours sheet signed. I had sent them a large packet from the OT I was with and it explained everything I did with her and it gave her critiques on me and they were all positive. So I was not too happy (actually I found it odd, like they didn't believe me) when Salus asked me to do more hours to get it signed. If you get accepted you only have like 5 days to decide. I think the letter says 10 days but it took forever to get here. And by the time I had received the letter it was December 20th and their office was already closed for the holliday and 5 days would have put me to Christmas day. My advice is if you want to go there, then you need to keep on them, keep calling and seeing if they made a decision yet that way they don't do the same thing to you that they did to me.
I was accepted at D'youville College in Buffalo.

LaxgirlluvsOT,
Thanks for the Salus info. That's all really good stuff to know, as I'm still waiting for a response one way or the other from them!

I received my first response from a school last night. I got a rejection from Pitt.
I'm still waiting on Salus, Temple, and Jefferson, however. :)

LaxgirlluvsOT,
Thanks for the Salus info. That's all really good stuff to know, as I'm still waiting for a response one way or the other from them!

I received my first response from a school last night. I got a rejection from Pitt.
I'm still waiting on Salus, Temple, and Jefferson, however. :)

same here. rejection from pitt few hours ago via e-mail.
i do have 4 more schools, but....i am a bit discouraged. no, actually very depressed.

I got notified by email and by letter. I decided to turn them down because I got in at a different school and I feel like Salus made me jump through hoops to get in. and they also asked me to get an OT observation hours sheet signed and notarized. Even after they have a letter from an OT that is signed that states that I did 130 hours there, and another that has 20 hours on it. And I wasn't too pleased with the area; there was not any nice apartments within like a 20 mile radius of the school.

Same here, with regard to TU "items needed" stuff. I'm still "complete and ready for review." It's killing me lol
Also, I have an interview with Salus on Jan 22nd! I have to go back and read all you guy's thoughts on the program who have already interviewed.

Don't be discouraged! I got a rejection from Pitt yesterday too, but I already got into where I wanted.

I know the feeling. When I read it I was like :/ even though I knew I wasn't going lol

So my friend just received an acceptance to Thomas Jefferson's Physical Therapy program so hopefully our decisions are getting close too! Just wishful thinking. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I just heard from Don at Jefferson that I would hear a decision by Feb 1st. (gaahhh) i did just get an email on Monday saying my app was complete and ready for review. Buut i just got accepted to Salus (!) , so i think i will be accepting there, since i heard they only give you like a week to decide once you get the official letter and i'm not positive i'll get in to jeff. I really did like Salus though from the interview and it's close to home so i'm happy!

Reactions: 1 users