Physics: I'm a little freaked out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CookDeRosa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if you're browsing threads looking for someone to beat up on, you can keep on browsing.

I think some of you know my story- I'm a mom with 4 children and career changer. I've been a professional chef since 1990 (technically- a community college culinary instructor for most of those years). I attended culinary school for my trade, but in 2006 earned my BA for personal enrichment and last year started taking pre-pre-meds (the intro non-science major courses). My degree required only math for liberal arts. I've done great, have a great GPA, enjoyed my intro bio, intro chem, A&Ps, micro, etc. It's all been fine- I've always enjoyed school- and i'm a highly motivated student.

I'm registered for my first "real" pre-meds this term. Gen Bio 1 w/lab and Physics 1 w/lab (algebra/trig - not calc). Classes start in 2 weeks, so I wanted to get a jump on physics since I have never taken it before. I took algebra <cough> 22 years ago, and never trig. I like math, and just figured I'd learn what I didn't know as we went through it.

I just got my physics text, and I'm having a freakin' panic attack. I spent 2 days trying to get through the first 2 chapters- this might be too hard!?! I don't know if I can do it! I'm seriously math-deficient.

In a moment of panic I dropped the class. Now, I'm trying to decide if I should reconsider. As in: reconsider re-registering, but maybe reconsider medicine! If I can't get through physics 1, I certainly can't get through physics 2 which everyone says is harder, and if I can't get through physics 2 what shot do I have at a good MCAT score?

My instinct is telling me that the best path is to stop- enroll in nothing but math for the next 2 terms and marinate in the material. Would that even be enough time to make college algebra/trig intuitive? I don't think it will be. I fear that I've missed a lifetime of application, and that it might actually be too late to "get" it at the necessary depth before piling on physics.

:scared:

I can re-enroll, there is plenty of space in the class....I'm really just wondering if this was a reality check and I should forget the whole thing!?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it. I took physics 1 last semester and hadn't seen algebra/trig in almost 10 years. It'll all come back and you'll be able to follow. I also felt that there is barely any need at all for trig for physics 1. I know looking at the book it makes it seem as if it's hard, but in reality, it's just a bunch of equations and your job is mostly identifying the givens and plugging them in. Also: http://www.freelance-teacher.com/videos.htm

Re enroll its honestly not as bad as you think. Review some math & youre fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
^that's reassuring, and don't sweat it too much DeRosa. I have the same worries, and we'll see how that goes this term. You'll get through it just fine. Best of luck.

Please, please, please reregister. Reading a book can be very different from actually hearing someone go over the material. It might be difficult at first, but if you can get through chemistry, I have no doubt that you can get through a year of general physics. Also, don't be afraid to utilize any of your school's resources such as tutoring.

If you have any physics questions feel free to ask. :)

+1 to sticking it out. I'm also willing to help you (and anyone else) out with physics -- I heart physics. :love:

Please, please, please reregister. Reading a book can be very different from actually hearing someone go over the material. It might be difficult at first, but if you can get through chemistry, I have no doubt that you can get through a year of general physics. Also, don't be afraid to utilize any of your school's resources such as tutoring.

If you have any physics questions feel free to ask. :)
Actually the opposite in my case. Physics was 10x easier than General Chemistry. Those annoying little conversions and significant figures made me want to strangle people.

Agree with the others that you should reregister. If you think you might have trouble, you could plan to get a tutor assuming your school has free tutoring. I felt the same way about anatomy in med school and decided to get a tutor just to help with some of the more challenging concepts.

Glad to read these responses, since I'm completely intimidated by the thought of physics.

It took me a while to get into physics, but it really isn't that bad. For me, though, Chem II was a good warm-up (lots of math). If you have the option to take Chem first, then I'd suggest that. Just work really hard. These classes are all doable. I've found orgo to be the most tricky but even that is surmountable.

I agree with the above posts. I too was anxious about taking physics, especially without out a strong math background. It wasn't as difficult as I envisioned. I say reregister and go for it! Good luck!

physics is all about practice and feedback. It took freakin geniuses like Newton to get us started on it, so don't beat yourself up.

Look at it this way, most of the hard stuff has been figured out for us. We get the tools (concepts and kinematic equations) to do the rest. If you can memorize stuff like sin 0,30,45,60,90 etc, it can help you with calculations.

A grad student told me once to just list out as many variables as i could, and then look at equations.

practice, practice, practice, and get feedback if you can.