Preliminary School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member25800

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here. I am a senior at UCSB and plan on applying to med school in June. I am in state for CA.

I have a 32 MCAT (11/10/11) and a 3.7 GPA (3.65 sGPA). Majoring in physiology.

I have worked for over a year in a neuroscience research lab on my own project dealing with sleep homeostasis in Drosophila. We are hoping to publish a paper this year. I have 280 hours working a hospital and rotating through different departments (very hands on). I worked for a quarter in a hospital in Spain in a children's oncology ward (twice a week for 2 hours for 10 weeks). I also lived abroad in Spain for that time and am partially fluent in the language. I have served as a mentor for younger biology students, tutoring them and helping them with classes ect. I am in the honors program at my school and am hoping to get accepted for a senior honors thesis. I am an active member of my sorority where we do a lot of volunteer work. I also am very active the yoga studio by my school. I have worked various jobs in college.

I have composed a preliminary list of schools based primarily on the statistics listed on the AAMC MSAR list of MCAT scores. I really havent looked more into it than this but I was wondering if any of these schools stand out at you as a definite yes or definite no. I know secondaries and interviews play a large part in this process so I was just hoping to get a starting list and modify it from here. Thanks a lot!

Reach schools

Emory
UCSF
BU
USC

Middle Reach

UCSD
UC Irvine
UCLA

Potential Acceptance

University of Central Florida
OHSU
University of Florida
USF Florida
University of Hawaii
New York Medical College
UC Riverside
UC Davis
Morehouse School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Delete OHSU, Burns, Morehouse and UCR (unless you have a history of commitment to the IE). These are all either mission-based or strongly geo-centric. CA applicants usually need at least a dozen OOS schools that might interview them. So far I count 4. Start with @rodmichael82 's suggestions (perhaps not NYU!) and take it from there. Don't forget Creighton, Loyola, Jefferson, Temple...

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:

Georgetown
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Tulane
Loyola
Creighton
Any new MD school
Any DO program

Reactions: 1 user
Delete OHSU, Burns, Morehouse and UCR (unless you have a history of commitment to the IE). These are all either mission-based or strongly geo-centric. CA applicants usually need at least a dozen OOS schools that might interview them. So far I count 4. Start with @rodmichael82 's suggestions (perhaps not NYU!) and take it from there. Don't forget Creighton, Loyola, Jefferson, Temple...

I meant to say NYMC not NYU.

thank you so much for your response! I didnt know that about Burns, Morehouse and UCR. I have, however, looked into OHSU's mission statement and it is my top school that I would like to attend. I know that they are huge on residency and stuff like that but may I ask you if they are committed to those 4 mission statements or just the general idea of residency? Because I was born in Oregon, my grandfather and two of my uncles and one of my aunts went to OHSU, my parents graduated from U of O and my sister is currently attending there and all of my extended family lives and works in Oregon. I would love to return to the Portland area and I am hoping that this type of Oregon "legacy" will help me get in. I also meet their academic excellence mission statement so I'm hoping that this along with my family history will help me. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks again

I suggest:

Georgetown
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Tulane
Loyola
Creighton
Any new MD school
Any DO program

THANK YOU so much for your help. I will definitely look into those schools. From the list that I have, are there any that are completely out of my reach or are all of them at least worth a shot at applying to? I really appreciate your input

thank you so much for your response! I didnt know that about Burns, Morehouse and UCR. I have, however, looked into OHSU's mission statement and it is my top school that I would like to attend. I know that they are huge on residency and stuff like that but may I ask you if they are committed to those 4 mission statements or just the general idea of residency? Because I was born in Oregon, my grandfather and two of my uncles and one of my aunts went to OHSU, my parents graduated from U of O and my sister is currently attending there and all of my extended family lives and works in Oregon. I would love to return to the Portland area and I am hoping that this type of Oregon "legacy" will help me get in. I also meet their academic excellence mission statement so I'm hoping that this along with my family history will help me. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks again
If your connection is clear from the primary, you do have a chance there.

THANK YOU so much for your help. I will definitely look into those schools. From the list that I have, are there any that are completely out of my reach or are all of them at least worth a shot at applying to? I really appreciate your input

Your reach list is accurately labeled, but UCLA and UCSD should be there as well - they are incredibly competitive stats wise.

Of course stats aren't everything, so you should apply to a few reaches if you want.

From your list, I think you're in striking distance of:

BU (maybe)
USC (maybe and IF you have a lot of service ECs)
UCSD (maybe)
UC Irvine
UCLA (maybe)
USF Florida
New York Medical College
UC Davis

You're below avg for the maybes. Go in eyes open.