Premed committee letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freesolo

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you list which schools wont accept the premed committee letter for my required LORs? Im just thinking ahead hear (im a junior this upcoming fall) and i dont think ill have a strong non-science letter, and i wont be taking any nonscience classes my junior year.

Members don't see this ad.

Abe said:
Can you list which schools wont accept the premed committee letter for my required LORs? Im just thinking ahead hear (im a junior this upcoming fall) and i dont think ill have a strong non-science letter, and i wont be taking any nonscience classes my junior year.
I have yet to see a secondary where they require more than a committee letter. Not to say that there aren't some schools out there. However, in my experience, most would prefer to ahve a commitee letter than individual ones.

Abe said:

I'm applying to 40 schools (1/3 or all medical schools in the U.S.). All of them that I've applied to will accept a committee or letter or a set of individual letters. There are two notable exceptions: Harvard and Stanford. Both of them prefer seeing all the letters. Other than that, I think the committee letter is preferable to all of the letters. I don't think the adcoms want to read 3+ letters per applicant.

Jason

Members don't see this ad :)
that's a lot of schools big Jason :)

NubianPrincess said:
that's a lot of schools big Jason :)

... and a lot of secondaries... and a lot of money... :rolleyes:

I kind of have to with my mediocre stats: (30Q/3.64)

Jason

jason is that what they call mediocre stats?? I think that everybody judges scores on their own scale, just my .02! that is a lot of schools for someone with stats like yours! ;)

sistahnik said:
jason is that what they call mediocre stats?? I think that everybody judges scores on their own scale, just my .02! that is a lot of schools for someone with stats like yours! ;)

The average for all medical shcool matriculants last year was:
29.6P/3.62 GPA

As you can see, my stats are "middle of the pack" (at least in my opinion). Hence, I think I'm 'mediocre'.

Jason

Jason110 said:
The average for all medical shcool matriculants last year was:
29.6P/3.62 GPA

As you can see, my stats are "middle of the pack" (at least in my opinion). Hence, I think I'm 'mediocre'.

Jason

True, your stats are "middle of the pack" for MATRICULANTS, but above average for APPLICANTS. That being said, you stand a good shot of getting in somewhere, even without applying to 40 schools!!!

if you are from GA ...MCG requires two additional "personal references"

i dont think schools really have a preference. there are top colleges out there that just dont have a premed committee and med schools understand this.

the only thing you need to worry about is having a premed committee at your school and NOT getting a letter from them. Then the med schools want a reason for this.